• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lomu

Bob McCowan (2)
quote="GPSrow, post: 494055, member: 8297"]yeh I know, I have added deegan to my 1sts GPS pick, but after hearing all the stir about him, i start to re-consider whether clancy or even Ellis Abrahams could be put in the mix.[/quote]

Me thinks Deegan at 15 and Kellaway at 10

DragonMan

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Any word on the Newington Captain of Rugby Football (as it was styled in my day). Also as for the GPS lists what criteria are posters using for (c) and (vc)?

the.quailad

Frank Row (1)
congrats to david horwitz and jack dempsey from last years ones who are already playing 1st grade in the shute shield competition.

to more pressing matters i think sam mete would be a good option on the wing while his teammate hooker would be a good no.2

scots winger matt crafts may also be of use out wide along with josh mitchell. Iwouldn't have taane on the wing as has been previousy suggested.

Due to familial circumstances i was dragged along reluctantly to the gramar vs high game. to my suprise, the young grammar team were rather fluent in attack carrying the ball up to 60m on some occasions. I wouldn't say they have improved on previous years, however i would say that high may have gone a few steps backwards. Both a swift and entertaining game . The discipline of the high fan base leaves a lot to be desired.

wreckless

Bob Loudon (25)
Any word on the Newington Captain of Rugby Football (as it was styled in my day). Also as for the GPS lists what criteria are posters using for (c) and (vc)?

Going by the after match speeches and from what I've seen so far it would appear that Lachlan Cannell has the gig! And he's doing a great job! Will be confirmed at the Newington rugby launch on Friday week. Watch this space!:)

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
.... but the politics of the GPS selectors have most likely pencilled Deegan in at 10..

Forget the name and what position he plays, or what school he goes to - what inside information do you have that makes you think GPS selectors will chose a particular player, from any school, in any position - or even "most likely" will, because of politics?

Do not confuse what is written as opinion in this forum, if that is where you got your brain wave from, as the gospel that will be observed by selectors.

DragonMan

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Going by the after match speeches and from what I've seen so far it would appear that Lachlan Cannell has the gig! And he's doing a great job! Will be confirmed at the Newington rugby launch on Friday week. Watch this space!:)
Tepai not in contention? Either way good luck to whoever gets the nod, a great accolade especially if they win the title.

Brainstrust

Watty Friend (18)
yeh I know, I have added deegan to my 1sts GPS pick, but after hearing all the stir about him, i start to re-consider whether clancy or even Ellis Abrahams could be put in the mix.
Having seen all the prospective 10's either trial or play on the weekend, the 2 form 10's are Clancy (shore) and McGregor (view) . Both are quick, good on their feet and create for players outside them. McGregor ( huge boot) won't likely be considered as 1st year in the 1's and in yr 10.. But the others such as Tulloch, Abrahams, and Deegan seem to be sitting in the pocket and shuffling the ball on...so on that basis Clancy should be well considered... The others would get there on rep not on current form...of course I have left out Kellaway as I haven't seen him play 10, but he could probably play 1-15 and look pretty sharp...I would think that the GPS selectors would use him wider ...maybe 13...

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

The Captain's ability to speak is only worth 5% of the grading for the post match afternoon tea.

A far more important criteria for selection of the Captain would surely be the ability of THEIR mother to stage manage the afternoon tea.

wreckless

Bob Loudon (25)
The Captain's ability to speak is only worth 5% of the grading for the post match afternoon tea.

A far more important criteria for selection of the Captain would surely be the ability of THEIR mother to stage manage the afternoon tea.

From your original post HJ :
"In an attempt to make the tie breaker something that is meaningful to teenage boys, the tie breaker will be based on a week by week assessment of post match afternoon teas. Points for the Captain's speech have been limited to 5 % of the total mark, Other marking criteria are Food Range 25%, Food Quality 25%, Food Presentation 20% Food Quantity 25%."

Evaluation of the after match at Riverview last Saturday :

Captains Speech (5%) : 5
Food Range (25%) : 25
Food Quality (25%) : 22
Food Presentation (20%) : 18
Food Quantity (25%) : 22
Total : 92

I scored the Captains speech at full marks due to the quality and inclusiveness of both speakers, and also - importantly - Views vice-captain ( Michael Kennedy ) had to unexpectedly fill the breach as Ben Hunt was unavailable due to injury.

In summary - a very acceptable spread and a good scoff! Congrats to the parents and providores!

Cheers, Wreckless :)

Gristlechewer

Charlie Fox (21)
Cl

Clancy should definitely get the call up. He was outplayed Deegan again, in all areas and Tulloch looks out of shape.
couldn't agree more Clancy was superb fast with hands and on his feet. he plays really direct and takes the hit when he has to. Deegan plays across field too much he passes too far from the line and just isn't quick enough to consistently trouble good defence. i saw joeys play a trial the week before with O'shea as first 10 and he was much sharper.
I watched Clancy against country 18's and he was outdone by his opposite 10, it is just not right to go out of your way to say so in a report. I definitely agree about Tulloch. The thing is that Deegan was there last year, Clancy was not. Selectors remember who have been faithful servants. Whomever gets the starting 10 will do extremely well, because they should be on the front foot with the likes of Sandell, McCalman et al giving them the ball on a platter.

Gristlechewer

Charlie Fox (21)
From your original post HJ :
"In an attempt to make the tie breaker something that is meaningful to teenage boys, the tie breaker will be based on a week by week assessment of post match afternoon teas. Points for the Captain's speech have been limited to 5 % of the total mark, Other marking criteria are Food Range 25%, Food Quality 25%, Food Presentation 20% Food Quantity 25%."

Evaluation of the after match at Riverview last Saturday :

Captains Speech (5%) : 5
Food Range (25%) : 25
Food Quality (25%) : 22
Food Presentation (20%) : 18
Food Quantity (25%) : 22
Total : 92

I scored the Captains speech at full marks due to the quality and inclusiveness of both speakers, and also - importantly - Views vice-captain ( Michael Kennedy ) had to unexpectedly fill the breach as Ben Hunt was unavailable due to injury.

In summary - a very acceptable spread and a good scoff! Congrats to the parents and providores!

Cheers, Wreckless :)
Food quantity 22% ???? Fights for the last sausage roll??? ;)

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
It will be interesting who gets picked at flyhalf.

Clancy looked better than Deegan last Saturday because of the run - neither boy was faultless passing a wet ball.

Tulloch looked good to me in the trial game I saw: Joeys v. Kings, but Deegan wasn't shabby.

Last year Deegan started in the GPS IIs at View and Tulloch in the IIIs, but in the next trial game at Curagal they swapped them and Tulloch played very well in the Twos.

I haven't seen the other flyhalves this year but I don't think that any of the three lads I mentioned are of the standard of Horwitz in 2012, but let's see.

Maybe they will try Kellaway there as Scots are; if not starting, then at some time in the game. The NSW Schools selectors may like to see that.

I hope that the selectors pick the guy in the Ones who is better playing with fellows he doesn't play with week to week.

It's a difficult assessment to make but it's what the selectors are there for.

king cappy the first

Frank Row (1)
I think that Jack McGregor has really good chance of making GPS 2nd or 3rds. He has been in really good form and deserves it. Sam Mete, Mike Kennedy, Ben Hunt, Hosea should make 1st. Nathan Kelly, Henry Hutchinson, Tom Malloy, Bill Freeman should be making the 2nds.

king cappy the first

Frank Row (1)
McGregor will be injured after the Joeys game, probably be the last game he plays all year.

I don't think so. Degan isn't very good at all! He thought he was good in year 10 but he got smashed by Micheal Wells and Mitch Whitley. He is not in form this year. You would think that after being in the 1st rugby side for three years you would be a stand out! But he is far from that.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Unless I've missed it somewhere, I haven't really seen an explanation as to why Kings were beaten so badly on Saturday. Were Scots that good? It seems a big margin for so early in the season - you wouldn't think injuries were a factor. Pre-season, Kings supporters were reasonably confident of a good season. While there's a long way to go, a big loss in round one doesn't auger well for the year ahead.

gpsoldboy did a brief report of the game here:

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/nsw-gps-match-reports-from-round-1/2/

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Gristlechewer and Lee Grant you 2 have probably seen this but Clancy features pretty prominently in this shore 2012 video.
Seems like what I would describe as a very good schoolboy 10 but the gaps he finds will disappear as he goes up the chain and as he gets older.

Ted S Hunter

Peter Burge (5)
Apologies for the lateness of the post. This is my first go at this, so i will try and be as detailed as possible in my view, given the lack of a detailed report from the Scots v Kings game on the weekend.

Scots started very slowly and that set about letting Kings race wide off some quick turnover ball for the red headed fullback to slide accross in the far corner, all in all a greatsweeping backline try, that he then backed up by thumping it over form the sideline!

Unfortunately for Kings, that was about it for them, Scots put the hammer down so to speak and piled on a number of unanswered tries in the lead up to half time. After half time more of the same followed, with Kings eventually getting another consolation try, but Scots were just to good. Scots ability to backup and run in support as well as their willingness to run from everywhere and attack at all costs was brilliant to watch. Kellaway off thrid phase play with his hands on the ball sliding at a tired defense is great to watch, and the scots back row running their lines through the midfield will be a nightmare for all centre pairings this season, as they had a field day with the poor Kings boys.

A couple of notes from the game:
- Scots looked rusty, as if this was their first real hit out for the full 70 minutes, although, their support play was sublime, with the Scots 12 (starkey) scoring off a break by the scots 2 who did 90% of the work before offloading the ball.
- Kellaway at 10 works but at the same time it doesnt. His defensive work was huge, with no breaks coming for Kings in the 9-10 channel, however, his attack was noticeably tired as a result. Would be lovely to see him out wide again rather then distributing the ball. Starkey did most of the distributing and did it with style, Kellaway only doing bits of the first reciever stuff.
- Winger Crafts for Scots was electric, and talk about speed! Scored one down the sideline and scored again on the bell with a league style leap of faith into the corner. Was rock solid in defense too, and based on his performance you would have to think he is a shot at higher honours.
- The Scots forwards were solid as a rock and did not allow Kings much space to move. The big difference were the locks and back row. 2nd rowers for Scots were everywhere, one of them a big unit bending the line every time he ran, the other one a slightly skinnier, but more athletic one who took one of the most majestic kickoffs being lifted by his props at full flight and taking the high ball overhead. Both locks for Scots were exceptional, with the 4 maybe getting the nod over the 5 (sorry have no names for you).
- Scots hooker was everywhere and shared the midfield runnign duties with Dunbar and Kamp and made a couple of huge breaks leading to runaway tries. Plays as a 4th backrower, and plays it well!
- The back row for Scots were led by Dunbar and Kamp, Crichton was a tad quiet. Dunbar stepped up and IMO outplayed McCalman (if only just as McCalman was by far and away Kings best forward), the kids work rate is phenomenal, and has a cracker running game through the midfield. Kamp hits hard! Would not want to be on the receiving end when runs!
- Scots backs otherwise quiet, but even in the wet played wide and expansive, their half (short) doesn't run much but god he gives a sweet, fast pass. For a half playing in wet conditions his service was top rate, which i suppose allowed the backs to shine on a day that was probably built for the forwards.

For Kings:
- Centre 12 was their only shining light in the backs. Made some bustling big runs and was really the only one giving it a solid go. The rest of the back seither looked to kcik or shovell the ball on with no real intent. He looks a series crash option (ah al Rob Horne/Nathan Grey style) and he does it really well! Would suit a strong backline with a ballplaying 13! unfortunately thats not what he ended up with on Saturday.
- Kings 10 vanished a bit, didnt look to run or test the line, only looked to pass. Really lacklsutre given the hype surrounding the represntative pedigree.
- Kings half tired, and as his backs got more disinterested, he stepped up trying to run it from the base and spark something. Defense was strong, but was no match for the constanat belting from Scots.
- McCalman worked hard, but i think was on the recieving end from the Scots open side, mostly i think due to the fact that Scots had the numbers in support and McCalman was really isolated on his own.
- No other standouts in the forwards from Kings, actually quite a poor performance from them all things considered.

Best for Scots: 4,5,6,7,14
Best for Kings: 7,9,12

Might seem a tad one sided, but unfortunately was one of those games where Scots were on top from the fifth minute until the seventyth.

Kings method of shovelling to 12 and trying to support will take a bit of modifying as i dont think it will go a terribly long way especially against the likes of the New centres. Scots looked a tad rusty and not quite gelled, so if they can really get their passes and movements sticking, should be a great higlights reel from the boys on the hill.

On a parting note, watched the last 15 of the 2nds game to, Kings trough everything at a desperate Scots defense. The no.1 for Scots (big Fijian/Islander) must have held up 3 or 4 kings kids (and then the subsequent maul) on his own. No idea if his workrate is up there but talk about strong :eek: !!! I think the props from Scots will be watching over their shoulders!

Hope all the young blokes out there have a top weekend at the State Champs, and best of luck to both teams for the season ahead.

GTPIH

Ted Thorn (20)
Unless I've missed it somewhere, I haven't really seen an explanation as to why Kings were beaten so badly on Saturday. Were Scots that good? It seems a big margin for so early in the season - you wouldn't think injuries were a factor. Pre-season, Kings supporters were reasonably confident of a good season. While there's a long way to go, a big loss in round one doesn't auger well for the year ahead.

I would put it down to a variety of reasons which combined could explain it:

1. As I understand it both teams only played 2 trial games. Scots may have "clicked" better than Kings at this stage of the season.
2. Kings may have suffered some mental scars from the 71-19 drubbing they received from Scots in the final game last season. If they didn't, they may now.
3. Scots played a very up tempo game relying on quick ball and getting it to the speed merchants as quickly as possible. In addition, the Scots forwards play more like extra backs in phase play, and in most cases have the handling skills to enable this. Whilst this game plan relies on superior fitness and skill levels and can backfire, when it comes off it is very hard to stop and can lead to blowouts.
4. As mentioned previously Kings missed a lot tackles. Scots also seemed to dominate possession and it's pretty hard to score without the ball.
5. Related to 3. above - Almost the entire Scots 7's team is in the 1st XV and this shows in their ability to play an up tempo game. The 7's tournament may have also acted as a quasi trial for Scots.
6. It may just have been one of those days for Kings

Status
Not open for further replies.