• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
My observations from the King's v Scots game concur with yours Brian in respect to their LHP and I can't understand why the referees and their assistants don't enforce the scrum laws as they are meant to. In simple terms a LHP can't constantly place their left hand on the ground prior to the engage and push forward off it. They are also required to secure a bind on their opposing prop's upper back or rear shoulder at the engage not leave their left arm by their own side. The engagement must also be at the horizontal not pushing upwards leveraging off your left arm placed on your own thigh or hip rather than bound onto your opponent as the scrummaging laws dictate. It's bloody dangerous as well as is the tactic I witnessed yesterday where the Newiington props were constantly knocking down the binds of their opponents.
The issue at not just GPS level but at all levels of rugby is that the refereeing fraternity by and large consists of ex backs who've never had their head anywhere near the deep end of a scrum and have little understanding of the dark arts and skulduggery that goes on there.
If the Referees have this brought to their attention immediately, the following protocols are to be a penalty, general warning then cards.It is regarded as dangerous play, in no uncertain manner is a player allowed to do this. If teams that are playing against a front rower that knocks the bind down, the referee has no other option than to either bin the player or remove him fom the field of play as state the laws due to dangerous play. All teams should take note of this because I for one do not want to see the LHP from Scots incapitate someone

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
Every referee in Australia should be made to watch a replay of the Lions V Reds match. On a slippery pitch with one scrum completely dominant NOT ONE SCRUM WAS RESET. Free kick, penalty or play on.
It would have been uncontested due to Scots losing their entire Front Row with cards if that be the case.

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
As you suggest in any case, their should be no more then one reset and a clear result from any scrum is achievable. What happened at Shore yesterday was anything but. Despite Scots being hugely dominant, they should not have been allowed to push past the 1.5 meter mark. One step further and they should have been penalised THE FIRST TIME THEY DID IT, not the 5th!

You are spot on that every ref in aus should have to watch that game as it was a class display of controlling the set piece, and as a result a class display by both sides in how to play legally as a dominant and weakened pack.

Not liking to finish on a sour note, i forgot to include the highlight of the day yesterday, which surprise surprise wasn't the rugby. As the Scots bagpipes fired up and started playing "the voice" by John Farnham, the Shore crowd broke into wild dance, with the whole crowd swaying from side to side in the stands next to them. One of the funniest things i have seen at the football in a long time, at least showing all of the supporters were their in the right spirit! Well done to both lots of supporters, created a great atmosphere for their teams and looked to be having a great time![/quote]
Agreed!!!
And how many people burst out laughing from BOTH sides as the grandstand was a sea of lads absolutely taking the P%&s out of each other????
Great stuff!

GPSrow

Watty Friend (18)
gents, it would be good if i could just gather what the 3rd XV scores were from the weekend.

I know Grammar got over joeys 21-10? and Kings over Nwwington 13-0.

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
Saw the joeys riverview game. And was super impressed. First up didn't see any bad old boy behaviour. Quite the contrary just saw general good spirit.

Next positive, was the programme, love how they include the kids various pathways. Only shame was didn't get a copy. From a brief glance it seemed like the joeys kids were largely A team players thru the years, whereas. Some of riverview boys had been as low as fs. Wonder if this is reflective of different approaches.

Struck me as a real contrast in physical shapes. Riverview backs were tiny, but proved zippy and skilful. Their forward pack seemed to be a dads army including all shapes . Thought bowditch and no 8 were particularly good.

Joeys players seemed almost too muscled up . i gatherbthey have a new personal trainer (east suburbs based) they use on a Mondays , outsourced ? i dont know if there is a change in conditioning approach, or if they all know that newington and scots are bearing down on them. And when u are facing kids who can shot put 18 metres or whatever it is, I do get it .

The joeys full back was the exception, and not wanting to be negative but didn't see him do some of the great thinks that Deegan, no 12 and latrell did.

In contrast thought riverview 15 , freeman? Was awesome. Talk about cool and calm . Yet don't see him in gps teams?! Too old . Is there an age cut-off.

Also thought that the high scoring was a reflection of great support play from both sides.and really the result could have gone either way, and will be interested to see round 2.

George smith . Great analysis of pathways, although probably doesn't tell the full story of the horse-trading, arms race that some call it. Across the ages scots and newington are buying in talent . That pathways type analysis would show how scots and new are collecting kids from far and wide

At least when joeys does it, kids seem to be from mt druitt.

Also heard the scots rugby launch was massive $200 a head, 500 people, first class emirates auctions etc

And even scots parents winging about wealthy parents accepting rugby scholarship

Oh well . Hope joeys bounce back against newington.
I have a spare Programme... Inbox me an address if you wish

GPSrow

Watty Friend (18)
Also, a tad disappointed for the year 12 lad Josh Mitchell who scored two tries this weekend against Kings and has shown the true unionship and growth through the schoolboy competition but had unfortunately not been picked for GPS 2s or even ones. Having spoken to the lad after the game yesterday, he was still in awe of wearing that Black and White jersey and how far Newington rugby has come since he was started in year 7. May I reiterate from my pervious statements that he was the only Newington boy on that field at 3:15 running out on the oval for the 5th and final year of his schooling career at Newington and paying the full tuiton fees (sorry mods had to put it on).

To prove this worthyness to the game and the sport, check this 2nds highlights video of him. (he played number 12)

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
A striking coincidence that GPS Rugby Convenor, Shane Serhon, is the Father of 'surprise' GPS 1sts hooker Matt Serhon.

Haven't seen NEW play this year. I think Serhon was on the bench for Presidents B at the Under 16's last year as a prop. From Pressies B bench to GPS 1 run on in a different position is remarkable, particularly for a Yr 11 boy.

Can any of the NEW aligned Gaggerlanders comment on how the conversion from Prop to Hooker has gone for Serhan Jnr?

Glasson from Joeys (Presidents A Prop) is now reported having undergone a similar conversion.

Seems to be a trendy thing to do to move from #1/#3 to #2 in year 11.

GPSrow

Watty Friend (18)
Haven't seen NEW play this year. I think Serhon was on the bench for Presidents B at the Under 16's last year as a prop. From Pressies B bench to GPS 1 run on in a different position is remarkable, particularly for a Yr 11 boy.

Can any of the NEW aligned Gaggerlanders comment on how the conversion from Prop to Hooker has gone for Serhan Jnr?

Glasson from Joeys (Presidents A Prop) is now reported having undergone a similar conversion.

From what I have seen he has developed quite suddenly into a solid hooker. Even though others might not consider him eligible, he had gained a good 10-15 kgs in one year from the 16s and it certanily shows on the field.

But, it couldve easily been Campbell Shearer (2nds Hooker) in Matt's spot as both were even in odds of getting into 1's with Campbell actually starting out in the firsts against Oakhill. Unfortunately, during the 2nd trial match Campbell was struck down with illness and had to miss the Kinross inwhich Matt filled his position and the story continues from there.......

George Smith

Ted Thorn (20)

Huge,
Matt Serhon wore the No16 Jersey in last year B's Presidents team. He didn't get much game time as Jono Burke (TKS 1st XV 20012/13) was the B's no1 hooker and was far better than Matt.

Tierney Glasson has performed admirably for Eastwood and Joeys as well as Presidents A and Sydney 16s in the Aust 16s Champs as tighthead. With his move to hooker this season his throwing to 4 and 6 in the lineout will develop as he gets more games under his belt. His work in close is second to none but doesn't have the mobility out wide to make effective runs.

Hozea Fotukava was a No8 for Hornsby before his recruitment to SIC and Chatswood/Gordon and moving to No2. But funnily enough Evan Pritchard (another View player) has kept him out of many higher rep teams. Evan is probably the most technical of all scrummagers in Sydney for his age but has recently moved to No2 also due to size constraints. Nevertheless Pritchard kept Fotukava out of selection for MNZ and Sydney & NSW in the 15s as he was the back up hooker.

A good yardstick is checking how these lads went when playing club (different selectors without school bias). Matt Serhon playing for Coogee in the 15s & 16s was never selected for higher honours.

IMHO Burke should consider to be very unlucky and Matt Serhon should bless his stars to be given the chance to be playing this week.

From a more traditional move it is quite common to see a No7 move to No2 along with 1&3 to Hooker.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
One weakness across the board in Aust Rugby, from Super Rugby down to Under 12's, is the inability of the Hooker to accurately and consistently hit their jumpers at lineout time.

Given that Hookers don't actually hook anymore because the referees allow cheating runt halfbacks to feed the ball into the second row, most props should be able to "convert" to Hooker if they can accurately and reliably hit their lineout jumpers.

nick feinga

Frank Row (1)
in my completely unbiased opinion (no affiliation with riverview), i believe that the players of riverview were completely robbed with gps selection. Kennedy, Hunt, Mete, Fotukava and Kelly all should have made, if not come close to making 1's, with other players such as hutchinson, molloy, whiteley and bowditch unlucky to make even 2's.

Also im hearing the gps 1's hooker is the son of the head of the gps??

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
IMHO Burke should consider to be very unlucky and Matt Serhon should bless his stars to be given the chance to be playing this week..
Burke has not played in either of the first two rounds of the GPS due to injury which has no doubt affected his selection chances. Being still in year 11 he'll get another shot at GPS selection next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.