• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
Thirdly, Yes the scrum was bigger to a man, but unless someone educates the LHP for Scots, he will come up against a couple of very serious men in Newington and Joeys. The back five in the scrum more than compliment the front three. This was agreed on by more than one astute spectator.So as far as your views on this are negated by the absolute inability from your LHP to bind according to U19 scrum laws.
My observations from the King's v Scots game concur with yours Brian in respect to their LHP and I can't understand why the referees and their assistants don't enforce the scrum laws as they are meant to. In simple terms a LHP can't constantly place their left hand on the ground prior to the engage and push forward off it. They are also required to secure a bind on their opposing prop's upper back or rear shoulder at the engage not leave their left arm by their own side. The engagement must also be at the horizontal not pushing upwards leveraging off your left arm placed on your own thigh or hip rather than bound onto your opponent as the scrummaging laws dictate. It's bloody dangerous as well as is the tactic I witnessed yesterday where the Newiington props were constantly knocking down the binds of their opponents.
The issue at not just GPS level but at all levels of rugby is that the refereeing fraternity by and large consists of ex backs who've never had their head anywhere near the deep end of a scrum and have little understanding of the dark arts and skulduggery that goes on there.

Freddo Frog

Ward Prentice (10)
Do Scots still lose half of their 15s age group to Glengarry? If so, was Scots v Shore As against As? If the answer to both questions is 'yes', then a mighty effort from Scots and would indicate a weak age group at Shore.

Yes, and yes.
From what I've seen (admittedly only a little) I don't think it's necessarily a weak group at Shore, they have some strong players, as do Scots. In this game from what I hear, Scots determination paid off in the second half.

hits and trys

Bob McCowan (2)
A few out of the blue picks for my likings firstly Robinson(J), Serhon(N) (DAD IS SELECTOR??) and Vuni(N) who from what i have seen not the best, Simon Kennewell in the 2's, over Oldham and Mitchell was a big move with Mitchell scoring another double on saturday against my boys, also Rory Davis deserved a spot, along with Ellis Abrahams, if anyone else has any thoughts on these players for why they were and weren't selected please comment...

Ted S Hunter

Peter Burge (5)
Afternoon plans cancelled, so report is coming a tad early!

Where to begin........ well, Scots v Shore was always going to be an interesting affair, and it lived up to expectation. Shore did everything possible to throw Scots off their usually up tempo game and it worked to brilliant effect. Shore 10 Clancy looked in total control despite being behind a seriously battered pack, however his work along with his brother at the back wasn't quite enough.

That said, Scots backs had a ton of ball but couldn't capitalise. the Scots 12 and 13 had days to forget, dropping balls and tackles you would expect your 14b's to be making. Kellaway at 10 was again not terribly effective in terms of his control and distribution, however his imprint on the game was notable, with a try, a bag of goals and a stint on the sidelines for some sort of brain explosion (didn't see it, just saw him walk of steaming about something).

In that sense, Clancy had the better of the flyhalves battle, however Kellaway took the game on when it needed it and kicking as well as i have seen in ugly windy conditions.

The day however belonged to the Scots forwards, they were led brilliantly by Skipper Dunbar (7), Will Ridley (3) and Nick Kellaway (4). Kellaway dominated the lineout both on his own and opposition throw which bailed Scots out of a lot of problems, Dunbar was brilliant in lose play, as he was against Kings, and Ridley was immense at the breakdown, getting through a truck load of work! For Shore, their prop Streeter was very good as were the two flankers (names unsure). they worked tirelessly and created a million and one headaches.

Unfortunately for Shore, Scots were that bit to strong in the end, although Shore certainly unlocked the way to stop Scots momentum and used it to great effect. Rather then bore with another recount of the game (G&G bot's report was very good), ill leave my notes on the game:

Scots:
- Dunbar (7) and Kellaway(4) shone for Scots. Both worked tirelessly, and were probably the difference on the day. This is two weeks in a row they have been standouts. Kellaway's skills in the air are brilliant! Dunbar in the loose is just as brilliant.
- Prop Ridley (3) had a great game and was into everything, and the big loose head (1 - no name) was the big unit from the seconds last week who obviously stood out to the coaches as well. Not his best game, but am sure he has more to offer.
- The return of Crichton (8), he was back and busling in the midfield this week. great to see the big man hitting the line like a freight train! Needs to maintain this form and involvement later in the season.
- Scots scrum was huge! they massacred shore repeatedly. Jaghound mentioned the refereeing and is probably right, it should never have gone as far or as long as it did, but Shore were hammered scrum after scrum, and you had to feel sorry for them. The Scots tight 5 owned the scrum!
- Scots half Short (9) was again very strong, has such a lovely clean pass. Is a pleasure to watch service like that, shame the Scots backs couldn't capitalise.
- Scots wingers were both quiet, however was hard with little ball making it out wide.
- Must mention that Scots lost fullback Styles (15) and Flanker Kamp (6) both to nasty head knocks early in the first half which made life tough, however replacement winger (no idea what his name) worked hard to find the ball and make meters, a solid show off the bench.

Shore:
- Clancy (10) plays with serious class and control. Looked to put the ball behind the scots backs and worked his team with great effect.
- His brother at the back plays with the same style and is a pleasure to watch. When the twins combine, the ball slides so effortlessly.
- The shore backs got up and dirty with the Scots backs and it unsettled them big time. The Scots boys had the size and probably the speed, but Shore were very well drilled and did a great job to contain them. the 13 in particular did very well and shutting down alot of wide play.
- The Shore forwads got hammered. No two ways about it, they simply had no answer at the set piece, and also at the breakdown. The two flankers tried all day, but them aside, there was a big gap in play. Scots inability to play with discipline saved the scoreline IMO.
- Shore 9 had a tough day behind a backward moving pack, but otherwise played pretty well, certainly gives Clancy nice ball which allows him time and space.
- Shore will find it tough against the bigger sides, as their forwards were not up to the task unfortunately, they will need some serious scrum work to compete against new!.

The Referee:
- He was horribly! How many times can you reset a scrum, the answer apparently endless. Not one scrum for the whole game was set once, multiple re-sets every time, before issuing a penalty. His decision making was horribly off, as were his assistants, including one howler, where a Shore player slaughtered the Scots hooker off the kickoff with a perfectly timed tackle, only to have the assistant stick his beak in and award a penalty for a perfectly legal tackle.

By no stretch am i saying that Scots or Shore were little angels, however the Ref was horrible, and needs to go and read his rule book i would suggest.

All in all a pretty disappointing game, the handling was miserable, from Scots especially and both teams will need a huge boot up the backside if they are to seriously match it against the New, View and Joeys sides.

A big congratulations to the boys who made GPS sides. A just reward for some very hard work, and a very strong 1's and 2's side picked, will be great watching this week.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Afternoon plans cancelled, so report is coming a tad early!

Where to begin.... well, Scots v Shore was always going to be an interesting affair, and it lived up to expectation. Shore did everything possible to throw Scots off their usually up tempo game and it worked to brilliant effect. Shore 10 Clancy looked in total control despite being behind a seriously battered pack, however his work along with his brother at the back wasn't quite enough.

That said, Scots backs had a ton of ball but couldn't capitalise. the Scots 12 and 13 had days to forget, dropping balls and tackles you would expect your 14b's to be making. Kellaway at 10 was again not terribly effective in terms of his control and distribution, however his imprint on the game was notable, with a try, a bag of goals and a stint on the sidelines for some sort of brain explosion (didn't see it, just saw him walk of steaming about something).

In that sense, Clancy had the better of the flyhalves battle, however Kellaway took the game on when it needed it and kicking as well as i have seen in ugly windy conditions.

The day however belonged to the Scots forwards, they were led brilliantly by Skipper Dunbar (7), Will Ridley (3) and Nick Kellaway (4). Kellaway dominated the lineout both on his own and opposition throw which bailed Scots out of a lot of problems, Dunbar was brilliant in lose play, as he was against Kings, and Ridley was immense at the breakdown, getting through a truck load of work! For Shore, their prop Streeter was very good as were the two flankers (names unsure). they worked tirelessly and created a million and one headaches.

Unfortunately for Shore, Scots were that bit to strong in the end, although Shore certainly unlocked the way to stop Scots momentum and used it to great effect. Rather then bore with another recount of the game (G&G bot's report was very good), ill leave my notes on the game:

Scots:
- Dunbar (7) and Kellaway(4) shone for Scots. Both worked tirelessly, and were probably the difference on the day. This is two weeks in a row they have been standouts. Kellaway's skills in the air are brilliant! Dunbar in the loose is just as brilliant.
- Prop Ridley (3) had a great game and was into everything, and the big loose head (1 - no name) was the big unit from the seconds last week who obviously stood out to the coaches as well. Not his best game, but am sure he has more to offer.
- The return of Crichton (8), he was back and busling in the midfield this week. great to see the big man hitting the line like a freight train! Needs to maintain this form and involvement later in the season.
- Scots scrum was huge! they massacred shore repeatedly. Jaghound mentioned the refereeing and is probably right, it should never have gone as far or as long as it did, but Shore were hammered scrum after scrum, and you had to feel sorry for them. The Scots tight 5 owned the scrum!
- Scots half Short (9) was again very strong, has such a lovely clean pass. Is a pleasure to watch service like that, shame the Scots backs couldn't capitalise.
- Scots wingers were both quiet, however was hard with little ball making it out wide.
- Must mention that Scots lost fullback Styles (15) and Flanker Kamp (6) both to nasty head knocks early in the first half which made life tough, however replacement winger (no idea what his name) worked hard to find the ball and make meters, a solid show off the bench.

Shore:
- Clancy (10) plays with serious class and control. Looked to put the ball behind the scots backs and worked his team with great effect.
- His brother at the back plays with the same style and is a pleasure to watch. When the twins combine, the ball slides so effortlessly.
- The shore backs got up and dirty with the Scots backs and it unsettled them big time. The Scots boys had the size and probably the speed, but Shore were very well drilled and did a great job to contain them. the 13 in particular did very well and shutting down alot of wide play.
- The Shore forwads got hammered. No two ways about it, they simply had no answer at the set piece, and also at the breakdown. The two flankers tried all day, but them aside, there was a big gap in play. Scots inability to play with discipline saved the scoreline IMO.
- Shore 9 had a tough day behind a backward moving pack, but otherwise played pretty well, certainly gives Clancy nice ball which allows him time and space.
- Shore will find it tough against the bigger sides, as their forwards were not up to the task unfortunately, they will need some serious scrum work to compete against new!.

The Referee:
- He was horribly! How many times can you reset a scrum, the answer apparently endless. Not one scrum for the whole game was set once, multiple re-sets every time, before issuing a penalty. His decision making was horribly off, as were his assistants, including one howler, where a Shore player slaughtered the Scots hooker off the kickoff with a perfectly timed tackle, only to have the assistant stick his beak in and award a penalty for a perfectly legal tackle.

By no stretch am i saying that Scots or Shore were little angels, however the Ref was horrible, and needs to go and read his rule book i would suggest.

All in all a pretty disappointing game, the handling was miserable, from Scots especially and both teams will need a huge boot up the backside if they are to seriously match it against the New, View and Joeys sides.

A big congratulations to the boys who made GPS sides. A just reward for some very hard work, and a very strong 1's and 2's side picked, will be great watching this week.
Every referee in Australia should be made to watch a replay of the Lions V Reds match. On a slippery pitch with one scrum completely dominant NOT ONE SCRUM WAS RESET. Free kick, penalty or play on.

Tom Talui

Frank Row (1)
Yes, and yes.
From what I've seen (admittedly only a little) I don't think it's necessarily a weak group at Shore, they have some strong players, as do Scots. In this game from what I hear, Scots determination paid off in the second half.
15 A's Scots V Shore last minutes

Scots was down by 3 at with no time left. Shore scrum and they get demolished by the Scots tight 5. Though a free kick was awarded to shore for excessive pushing or something like that. A boy picks it up and tries to kick it out thinking that they have won the game but comes of the side of his boot towards the scots try line. A chase from Scots putting pressure on the Shore winger resulting in a drop ball to be cleaned up by the breakaway and put down over the line for scots to win by two.

Intense ending of that intakes last game of the season.

Ted S Hunter

Peter Burge (5)
Every referee in Australia should be made to watch a replay of the Lions V Reds match. On a slippery pitch with one scrum completely dominant NOT ONE SCRUM WAS RESET. Free kick, penalty or play on.

QH, i'll pose to you some secnarios:
A scrum can collapse/disintegrate for the following reasons:
a) props don't hold their binds - result - penatly/free kick
b) Props have incorrect binds - result - penalty/free kick
c) Someone slips - result - move scrum and reset ONCE!
d) one scrum is dominant and pushes to the 1.5 meter limit - result - either team being dominated plays on after pushing team stops at limit; or penalty awarded to weaker team for dominant scrum pushing in excess of 1.5 meters (as per U19 law) or the dominant team win the ball (tight head).

As you suggest in any case, their should be no more then one reset and a clear result from any scrum is achievable. What happened at Shore yesterday was anything but. Despite Scots being hugely dominant, they should not have been allowed to push past the 1.5 meter mark. One step further and they should have been penalised THE FIRST TIME THEY DID IT, not the 5th!

You are spot on that every ref in aus should have to watch that game as it was a class display of controlling the set piece, and as a result a class display by both sides in how to play legally as a dominant and weakened pack.

Not liking to finish on a sour note, i forgot to include the highlight of the day yesterday, which surprise surprise wasn't the rugby. As the Scots bagpipes fired up and started playing "the voice" by John Farnham, the Shore crowd broke into wild dance, with the whole crowd swaying from side to side in the stands next to them. One of the funniest things i have seen at the football in a long time, at least showing all of the supporters were their in the right spirit! Well done to both lots of supporters, created a great atmosphere for their teams and looked to be having a great time!

goalkicker65

Frank Row (1)
Despite the form of King's this year, which has been disappointing, i am still shocked to not see Davis picked in any side. He was a star in the undefeated 16A's for King's and also gave Andrew Ferris a run for his money last year for the top half back position at king's (Andrew went on to make Australian Schoolboys). All you really have to do is look at snippets of this video i found of the King's 2nd's last year to see the talent this boy has. Look at 1:50 and 3:30. Although those moments are only him doing his signature chip kicks, his passing was phenomenal.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=y1vYYCq70vQ

Also, i have watched Sam Mete play this year and was disappointed to see him not make a side. The kid shows some great speed and talent on the field and so i think the selectors may have made a little mistake there too.

Thoughts?

gpsoldboy

Chris McKivat (8)
11 of 1sts from either Scots or Newington is probably a good reflection of GPS form with both teams having an unbeaten start to their seasons. From what I've seen in the first two rounds they are both very big and quick all around the park and very well drilled, Scots in particular. This will serve both GPS and NSW Schools very well in the upcoming rep season.
Very surprised that Rory Davis is not ranked in the top three GPS halfbacks and am very disappointed for him as he has been a shining light for Kings in their four games this year. James Kane was also perhaps worthy of a spot in at least the 3rds even if on the wing rather than fullback. Ranking Jack McCalman below Dunbar and Morris is a travesty and ill conceived. They are both fine players but are not in McCalman's class. He will be in the NSW Schools 1's.
Also surprised that Kellaway was chosen as captain when Dunbar is Scots captain. Cannell would have been my choice followed by Sandell.

Very happy about 12 Scots boys being selected across the three GPS teams (including reserves) - same number as Newington although they have 7 players in the 1sts to our 4.
Andrew Kellaway will lead the 1sts team well and I'm also happy that he got selected at 15.
I've noticed that a few people have commented about the omission of Rory Davis including you. He's a very good player and was Kings best in their game against us in the first round. Mitchell Short though deserves his selection as he's been in great form. I'm sure that Davis will get future opportunities in the representative arena

gpsoldboy

Chris McKivat (8)
By the numbers of the 52 boys selected in GPS teams including reserves:

1. Scots -12
2. Newington - 12
3. Joeys - 9
4. Shore - 8
5. Riverview - 8
6. Kings - 3

It's good to see Shore getting plenty of boys selected. Big fall for Kings who IIRC had nearly all their 1sts selected last years GPS teams. Getting hammered by successive 50+ scores doesn't help at the selection table.

Ted S

Sydney Middleton (9)
I'd have Hutchison at wing in front of Robinson, or even into outside centre and Taane at wing. The kid is an absolute machine, doesn't miss tackles and breaks the line at every single touch.

Scrumhalf Mike Kennedy dominated Lussick when New played View and as I've said before, Lussick couldn't even pass left to right, something that one would assume is a prerequisite for GPS 1sts, let alone halfback.

Would also have considered Nathan Kelly or Hosea Fotukava (both GPS 3rds 2012) for the front row, outplaying the chosen Newington boys, especially Serhon.

As you said, Mete was shoved off Robinson twice yesterday, but he'd arguably be the quickest person in GPS, and weighing upwards of 90kg, he has shown to be very difficult to tackle. Im not saying GPS 1's, but he has played far better than Oldham and Kennewell who were picked above him.

Geez if the rose coloured glasses aren't on there ....
Hutchinson did very well against the New centres for someone turning 16 this year, but still got well outclassed, struggled when Tepai and Taane got out of first gear.
He played well in the Australian U16s championships last year, but hardly dominated that, how does that translate to selection in the GPS firsts.

Lussick was not at his best in the View game, but certainly showed good left and right passing yesterday.

Lets not loose sight of the New v View score line and the fact New mised a few goals and are well underdone.

George Smith

Ted Thorn (20)
That said, Scots backs had a ton of ball but couldn't capitalise. Kellaway at 10 was again not terribly effective in terms of his control and distribution, however his imprint on the game was notable, with a try, a bag of goals and a stint on the sidelines for some sort of brain explosion (didn't see it, just saw him walk of steaming about something).

I cannot fathom why Andrew Kellaway is GPS captain. He certainly has earnt his selection after his past 2 seasons BUT. .... yesterday he stupidly tried to show all and sundry that he is BIG & GOOD. He showed his team mates and those of the sideline how to rub the head of opposing players into the ground, then capped it off being sent off for misconduct by throwing ball at head of player after the whistle. This, IMHO is certainly not the desired behaviour of our GPS 1st XV captain!

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Lets not loose sight of the New v View score line and the fact New mised a few goals and are well underdone.
This has been commented on by a number of posters, and I also noticed that Newington played hardly any trials compared to the other schools. Perhaps they've got it right and are conscious of the longer season brought on by 2 rounds.

Ted S Hunter

Peter Burge (5)
I cannot fathom why Andrew Kellaway is GPS captain. He certainly has earnt his selection after his past 2 seasons BUT. .. yesterday he stupidly tried to show all and sundry that he is BIG & GOOD. He showed his team mates and those of the sideline how to rub the head of opposing players into the ground, then capped it off being sent off for misconduct by throwing ball at head of player after the whistle. This, IMHO is certainly not the desired behaviour of our GPS 1st XV captain!

GS it is a bit of a strange selection, especially given there are three school captains, including his own school captain in the side with him. All of that aside (and his brain explosions yesterday......... we are all prone to them), i am sure the selectors see some sort of leadership qualities there, hence the decision.

Any one of the boys selected in the 1's would be a quality captain and best of luck to Andrew this week, hopefully his hot headed moment for the year is done.

I must admit, the so called attempt to show how big and tough (assuming this refers to his game play and not the back play rubbish), was exactly what Scots needed, a bit of direct hard running to try and bend the line. I personally was in favour of this, rather then seeing Scots continue to play a style that wasn't working. Anyway, all of this is now irrelevant, AK (Andrew Kellaway) is the skipper, and the teams are picked.

George Smith

Ted Thorn (20)
Mete was shoved off Robinson twice yesterday, but he'd arguably be the quickest person in GPS, and weighing upwards of 90kg, he has shown to be very difficult to tackle. Im not saying GPS 1's, but he has played far better than Oldham and Kennewell who were picked above him.

Guys, Oldham is the wing who stood up Oscar Pople last year to score the classic wingers try around the outside of him. Then yesterday he scored again out wide carrying 2 Scots defenders with him. He is a similar flyer like Sam Mete and fully deserves his spot.

DragonMan

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Great insight GS. Can't remember the last time a GPS side boasted 3 current AUS schoolboys, and an AUS A player as well, is going to be a cracker watching Clancy unleash the big boys outside him.

In answer to your question footy king, there was a year in the mid 2000's IIRC where joeys had 16 selected into GPS teams, with the seconds halfback being picked up in the GPS 2nds. Around the kurtley Beale era.

Am out for the Agternoon, will post some notes from the shore v scots clash yesterday at some stage tomorrow.

Congratulations to all of the boys selected int the GPS teams this weekend, a huge honour and you will no doubt do yourselves proud! Also a congratulations to Andrew kellaway and Andrew Deegan on their third year of GPS selection. I can't recall this ever happening before without the use of pathways! A phenomenal achievement from both boys. Best of luck in their games this week!
Didn't K. Beale of Joeys achieve selection in GPS 1sts 3 years in a row without Pathways?

Ted S Hunter

Peter Burge (5)
Didn't K. Beale of Joeys achieve selection in GPS 1sts 3 years in a row without Pathways?

From memory Joeys wouldn't let Kurtley play GPS in year 10. He probably would have made it if he did play, however i cant be 100% certain if he did or didn't in year 10. He did play in 11 and 12 i think. Crichton is another who next year will cap 3 years of GPS representation.

thefencesitter

Allen Oxlade (6)

From memory Joeys wouldn't let Kurtley play GPS in year 10. He probably would have made it if he did play, however i cant be 100% certain if he did or didn't in year 10. He did play in 11 and 12 i think. Crichton is another who next year will cap 3 years of GPS representation.

From memory Matthew Sandell was selected as GPS 3rds reserve in 2011. Is Kellaway perhaps the first ever to make GPS 1sts for 3 years?

Status
Not open for further replies.