• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

DragonMan

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I know of parents who recently went on a school tour of Grammar Edgecliff and after being shown around the school, the father (a Grammar old boy) asked if they were also going to be shown the sports facilities (i.e. Weigall). This was apparently met with a stunned silence followed by a mumbled you're free to have a look on your own if you want to. Result - boy not going to Grammar. This is a mindset which will take a long time to change.
Similar story but in reverse at New. I took my nephew for Open Day two years ago. Each of the groups started the tour at different parts of the College. My nephew is pretty academic but the first place we stopped was the Newington gym where we had a good 15-20 minute talk about how important sport is to overall ddevlopment, how many kids at the College repsent Australia etc (funnily enough to encourage the 'less sporty' kids in the the group they said that playing competitive sport was not compulsory at New whereas all the Old Boys on tour knew it was). Anyway long story short this really turned off my nephew's Mum so he will probably end up at King's

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Similar story but in reverse at New. I took my nephew for Open Day two years ago. Each of the groups started the tour at different parts of the College. My nephew is pretty academic but the first place we stopped was the Newington gym where we had a good 15-20 minute talk about how important sport is to overall ddevlopment, how many kids at the College repsent Australia etc (funnily enough to encourage the 'less sporty' kids in the the group they said that playing competitive sport was not compulsory at New whereas all the old Boys on tour knew it was). Anyway long story short this really turned off my nephew's Mum so he will probably end up at King's

It just goes to show that schools need to choose wisely who they get to conduct these tours. The example at Grammar may not be typical, but it reinforced a perception.

I went on 2 tours of GPS schools and at one, I had a similar experience, where the person running the tour forgot about the sports facilities (wasn't Grammar) and didn't really seem on top of things, whereas at the other school the person running the tour was superb and we left thinking that we not only knew a lot about the school, but that the school thought about the tour and the parents and didn't just let anyone do it. (Son now in prep at school number 2)

footyking

Stan Wickham (3)
GPS 1sts have won 29-14
GPS 2nds have won 31-0

Both teams looked to have dominated CAS, despite the score of the firsts game.

strokeside

Larry Dwyer (12)
well your definition of dominate is very different to mine! I along with everyone else expected GPS to run away with it, possession was easily with us, without a couple of CAS mistakes that game could have been as bigger upset tonight as the Brumbies!!

GTPIH

Ted Thorn (20)
GPS 1sts have won 29-14
GPS 2nds have won 31-0

Both teams looked to have dominated CAS, despite the score of the firsts game.

GPS II's definitely dominated, but in I's it was pretty even and CAS definitely took it up to GPS, especially in the forwards.

Rugby from the backrow

Sydney Middleton (9)
Without putting a downer on all of the frivolity of GPS wins today, but shouldn't all of this be on NSW Schools thread?

I don't really want to go chasing information on the GPS games on another thread. This is Sydney GPS 2013 where I would expect to find comment on ALL GPS. Much more interesting than all the drivel about how many posts replies etc that has been commented on!

Brainstrust

Watty Friend (18)
The fat that GPS only came together on Sunday showed in a lack of cohesion around the breakdown. That will only get better now they've had a run. A lot of the CAS "go forward" was handed to them by the referee legging them down the park with penalty after penalty, not saying the penalties were unjustified, but in fact the longer the game went on and the GPS forwards started to get some cohesion they were making pretty telling in roads. GPS can only get better with the run tonight.

Sideline Eye

Darby Loudon (17)
There was no GPS IIIs game today. They are playing this Friday. Check out the 'NSW Schools 2013' thread where all schoolboy matches are discussed, teams and fixtures listed and comparisons of teams and players shared.

Funnily enough, Rugby From The Back Row, The teams GPS play against don't come to this paarticular thread for any information on these interschool matches, even though you might think this thread is the centre of the schoolboy rugby world....!

wreckless

Bob Loudon (25)
There was no GPS IIIs game today. They are playing this Friday. Check out the 'NSW Schools 2013' thread where all schoolboy matches are discussed, teams and fixtures listed and comparisons of teams and players shared.

Funnily enough, Rugby From The Back Row, The teams GPS play against don't come to this paarticular thread for any information on these interschool matches, even though you might think this thread is the centre of the schoolboy rugby world..!

Thanks - appreciate that! Cheers, Wreckless :)

Rugby from the backrow

Sydney Middleton (9)

Funnily enough, Rugby From The Back Row, The teams GPS play against don't come to this paarticular thread for any information on these interschool matches, even though you might think this thread is the centre of the schoolboy rugby world..!

I do not think that Gps Rugby is the only Schoolboy Rugby. As I live away from Sydney and am involved with other junior rugby. However I am interested in GPS rugby and do not see why discussion on the GPS scores or team performance could not be on this thread

Whose That Guy

Herbert Moran (7)
could anyone please link me where i can find the GPS table ? and after round 2 do we think newington is beatable? if so what teams do we reckon that could do that

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
What about the III's???!!!

I suspect on the basis of several years of cricket scores between GPS III and AICES, wiser heads have prevailed realising that a scoreline of 50+ to nil does nothing to help the NSW Schools RU selectors, nor does it help challenge or develop the boys in the GPS III or AICES teams.

It would be nice to see the III's get more than one game though, and perhaps this may be addressed next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom