• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ted S

Sydney Middleton (9)
I was out at the New v Scots game with great anticipation.
What I saw was interesting. Scots played a very smart game and New played a very dumb game.
New backs were very unimpressive today in attack and defense.
The referee was also very unimpressive and very inconsistent, Scots used this to their advantage and got into the faces of the New players more than few times a bit quicker than physically possible from an onside position. The New backs sat back and waited for the Scots backs, a big mistake.

One thing that was confirmed beyond doubt was the absolute quality of Kellaway. A tremdous player in both attack and defense. Deceptively quick and in my opinion the best schoolboy player in the GPS

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
1sts - 36-15 View

2nds - View took the lead 15-14 for the first time in the game with about 10 mins to go only for Shore to score the match winner with a couple of minutes left on the clock - 19-15 Shore
Shore 2nds are the only brightish light shining at the moment.

They've won 2 now. Last 2 weeks, Shore haven't won an A game. Against Kings lost all As and Bs except 14As which was a draw. Riverview have a very strong 14As - interested in that result.

footyking

Stan Wickham (3)
shore have picked up a lot of injuries today in the 1sts
Paddy Olver had suffered what looked to be a concusion
Sam Cater had reportedly done his acl
Harvey Duncan had ot be carried off with a very bad hip flexor
Charlie King came off with a bad knee, unsure weather it was a cork or anything serious.
very bad day today for shore, many boys have pulled up saw and injured, not good for them at all, considering their performances over the past couple of weeks.

and can somebody possible answer as to why it seems shore is reluctant in putting Eldridge on into the centres? i noticed that they replaced a couple of players shifting oldham and nic clancy into the centres, who have both never played there.

wreckless

Bob Loudon (25)
What I saw was interesting. Scots played a very smart game and New played a very dumb game.
The referee was also very unimpressive and very inconsistent, Scots used this to their advantage and got into the faces of the New players more than few times a bit quicker than physically possible from an onside position. The New backs sat back and waited for the Scots backs, a big mistake.

One thing that was confirmed beyond doubt was the absolute quality of Kellaway. A tremdous player in both attack and defense. Deceptively quick and in my opinion the best schoolboy player in the GPS

Good Summary Ted - on all counts! Nothing more for me to add. Well played Scots! Cheers, Wreckless :)

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
shore have picked up a lot of injuries today in the 1sts
Paddy Olver had suffered what looked to be a concusion
Sam Cater had reportedly done his acl
Harvey Duncan had ot be carried off with a very bad hip flexor
Charlie King came off with a bad knee, unsure weather it was a cork or anything serious.
very bad day today for shore, many boys have pulled up saw and injured, not good for them at all, considering their performances over the past couple of weeks.

and can somebody possible answer as to why it seems shore is reluctant in putting Eldridge on into the centres? i noticed that they replaced a couple of players shifting oldham and nic clancy into the centres, who have both never played there.
Unfortunately it shapes as being a long hard year for Shore. Hope they can pick up at least 1 win.

Primetime

Allen Oxlade (6)
As others have mentioned, some serious reviews need to be made of Newington's game planning. The pick-and-drive was getting nowhere fast, and the backs consistently fancied themselves one-on-one rather than taking that extra pass; often being tackled and turning the ball over soon thereafter. Not to take away from Scots, however, who played a fantastic game themselves.

Low to High

Bob McCowan (2)
Shore 2nds are the only brightish light shining at the moment.

They've won 2 now. Last 2 weeks, Shore haven't won an A game. Against Kings lost all As and Bs except 14As which was a draw. Riverview have a very strong 14As - interested in that result.

Shore beat View in 16A's 22-17 or something like that. Shore had a period of dominance in the middle but otherwise quite even

The Great Bagsby

Bob McCowan (2)

Nick Kellaway is a fine player indeed

scaraby

Ron Walden (29)
One thing that was confirmed beyond doubt was the absolute quality of Kellaway. A tremdous player in both attack and defense. Deceptively quick and in my opinion the best schoolboy player in the GPS[/quote]
He was beyond belief today. Three amazing last line tackles in the first10mins then the run from his own quarter . Finished the game with one of the best tries i've ever seen.
News game plan seemed to be trying to take advantage of some gaps behind the scots ruck and mall. It worked quite well but when they swung the ball to Tepai he was heavily marked. hIs offload was superb btw and he is a star but Scots seemed to be ready for this.
Scots forwards were great today and you always got the impression that if Scots could hold them and the ball ,then their tactic of going around 12/13 would pay off.
What a great game of Rugby and a great crowd.Scots boys sang Happy Birthday to New at half time and both sets of boys were well behaved and vocal.
Some great moments with Lussick being a menace around thenruck and the No.8 for New was Close to best on ground bar 1....12 for New was always most likely but silly head highs cost his side after he was binned.
For Scots the front row was brilliant with one collapsed scrum leading to a try.THe defense of the backs was great with a hightlight being Yassmin smashing Tepai when it looked like he might score and then there was Andrew Kellaway.........can play that kid!

rugboy

Bob Loudon (25)
As already mentioned Kellaway was outstanding. His broken field running was exquisite. With the exception of his last minute miss on Tepai for a consolation try his display was faultless. He showed pace to outrun new 15 for a great team try and when he ran almost the length through the new team himself to demonstrate his vision and ability to beat the man time and again.
New again came with the wrong plan to play tight with arguably the best back line in the comp. the pick and drive was negated constantly by the work of scots at the breakdown. Even late in the game they persisted this way while chasing points and scots sealed it off every time (although they must have been close to a yellow as I counted 8 consecutive penalties for the same offence). Kudos to them though and they prevailed. Thought Milne was well marked out of the game with little impact overall Lussick and Tepai looked most likely. Tepai set up the first with a great offload and scored the last while Lussick sniped continually scoring a good solo try. Tepai was unlucky to get marched for what was a deemed a third team infringement in taking the man high although his was the most innocuous of them. Certainly got a razzing as he walked past the Scots faithful. The support for both teams was great and made for a very enjoyable game. Congrats to Scots and a mighty effort from Kellaway. I'm sure the return game will have plenty in it.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Anybody want to have a go at a "match on the run'' report New v Scots? It doesn't have to have bells and whistles or be too exact - just do your best. Write it here.

I was expecting a report to be sent to me but haven't got it yet; so it probably won't come to hand.

PS any snaps of that game and View v Shore would be appreciated - let me know.

Thanks guys.

Jasdec

Ted Fahey (11)
Anybody want to have a go at a "match on the run'' report New v Scots? It doesn't have to have bells and whistles or be too exact - just do your best. Write it here.

I was expecting a report to be sent to me but haven't got it yet; so it probably won't come to hand.

PS any snaps of that game and View v Shore would be appreciated - let me know.

Thanks guys.
Just sent one via email.

Buster

Chris McKivat (8)
Long time reader first time poster to this site. Firstly a thanks to all of those people who put up match reports, has been great keeping up to date with all of the rugby going on.

Went and watch my old school (Scots) take on New yesterday on the advice of a few mates! Best decision i have made all weekend. A brilliant game of football, played in top shelf spirits and as mentioned above, a lovely little birthday song for the New boys at half time.

Scots were brilliant yesterday, and as has been mentioned, their fullback was the shining star. That said he was very well supported by the two wingers in particular the 14 who ran like a man possessed, and had clearly never got the message that the New centres are monsters. inspiring stuff from him in particular.

The inside backs were a massive point of difference, New looking to go one on one and bust tackles, which the New 12 did a lot of, but Scots looked to shift it and run the bigger side around, which at full time proved the right tactic.

The Scots forwards stuck it to the bigger New boys no doubt, however the New boys never gave up. They made good meters led by one of the props and their 6 & 8 who stepped up time and time again to lead the charge forward, however the Scots forwards shut it down pretty well.

The Scots 7 has got to have the biggest tank going around, ran his guts out until the final bell, even after copping a couple of knees to the head in a nasty looking tackle, am stunned to here he wasnt in any higher rep teams, he is quality!

The Scots "big" (not as big as new) forwards pushed hard all day, and boy do they cover some meters, qality performance from them all to run the New boys of their feet and defend so well when wave after wave of drive came their way.

The New 9 ran all day and was a constant pest, testing his Aussie Schools 9 all game, whilst the New 9 won the running game, the Scots 9 delivered great ball all day, which allowed the back line to run rampant, and showed why he is the Aus schools half, he sets up the big guns outside him so well!

However despite all the accolades, yesterday belonged to the Scots Fullback. What a performance. Stopped tries, Set up tries, Scored tries, could well have sold and won the meat raffle at half time. When a kid of the class is on his game like that, you can only pity his opposition!

After watching the 93 Scots side as a little fella from the hill, it has been a damn long wait to watch the boys in gold run like that and god it was good to see. Apologies if i have blue and gold tinted glasses, but a cracking game from both teams, with the stellar back three from Scots being the point of difference. Its going to be a great last 6 rounds!

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
After a win like that, you're more than entitled to more than a little blue and gold euphoria.

[Please don't overdo the quote function - Thanks Mods]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom