• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewMacca

Chris McKivat (8)
Clearly Grammar's age group sides were mismatched against Newington Cs. Scores like that are no good for anyone (and I know that Grammar have been on the receiving end - they'll know how it feels)

New's fourteens are not very strong, as shown in recent weeks against the bigger schools

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Result in 1sts this week would seem to confirm that Scots have proven themselves more than worthy contenders. The title is theirs to lose and with their games against Newington and Joeys at Bellevue Hill, they're looking pretty good.

Newington seem to have plateaued, maybe they've achieved it all; Premiers 2012, numerous boys in NSW & Aust schools. Comfortably beaten by Scots in the end - have beaten everyone else but less than convincing against Shore and Riverview in the last 2 weeks.

Joeys - super consistent as always, but have lost too many. Now equal with Riverview on the ladder ;).

Riverview are a good young side, but 2013 was never realistically going to be their year. Will still take beating in the last 4 matches, but 2014 will be their year to threaten for the title.

Kings haven't really lived up to expectations and have struggled against the top 4.

Shore haven't notched up a win yet, but always take some beating. They seem to be getting better and better as the season progresses.

The 3rds competition seems quite even and has been a revelation.

GPStyle

Herbert Moran (7)
Does anyone know how serious the injuries are for deegan and Hanigan? will they be back for the big catholic derby next weekend?

Jasdec

Ted Fahey (11)
Yes there are high church, low church, no church and that rare breed, Protestant Catholics. ( each way bet ).

GTPIH

Ted Thorn (20)
Good point - here is my attempt.

Regrettably I didn't get much out of the 1sts game at Stanmore. New were always in control and it seemed just a question of how far they pressed the accelerator as to what happened.

Milne is not a fullback and Moeroa desperately needs to learn how to set up his outside man before he gets into contact: having a stock pass out of the back of the hand has a very limited life expectancy in this code - until about the HSC would be my forecast!
Lussick was pretty bloody good and some of the skills he has which are vital for union (long pass and huge box kick) will be wasted in league. I thought Vassilis read the game well but I don't mean to suggest that the New pigs were other than all good.

Probably too much defensive pressure in the SIC backs to draw many conclusions. I'm sceptical of a 10/12 switch off you're own line out ball - particularly tap ball - as there's inevitably going to be a backrower in 12's face and yet this was called 3 or 4 times.
The rest of the time there was too much cross field running - defensive pressure on the inside shoulder? This also saw the SIC 10 only really take on the line once - which led to a half break, when his opposite had drifted just a little too early, which I'll give McGregor credit for spotting and exploiting: he needs to eb threatening to do that more in order to hold up the drifting defence.
SIC's defence in the outside backs (although McKay made a very good tackle on Moeroa which saved a long incursion into the New backfield)) looked suspect and there were a few New runs through the edge of the forwards.
Very impressed with SIC's fullback under the high ball.

I suspect NC would not be entirely happy with the scoreline, but as we often say they'll take the points.

You must have seen the only recent game where Lussick showed he has a decent pass. From what I have seen he has many great attributes as a player, but passing is not one of them.

gpsoldboy

Chris McKivat (8)
Scots 54 Kings 22 8 tries to 3.
Comprehensive win to Scots in the 1sts and it really should have been by another 20+ points but for the amount of ball they dropped especially in the second half. Kings were outplayed all over the field with Scots leading 28-3 at halftime. The second half was all Scots except for the last 20 when they eased off and Kings put on some late points. Scots were just too big and too fast out wide for the Kings boys with Ben Starkey starring and Kellaway doing plenty of damage as well. McCalman tried hard for Kings and is a very gutsy player but looks to be carrying a few injuries as he went down a number of times. I didn't have a program so can't name their other players but in the forwards their no 1 and no 8 did plenty of work and their red haired back (Kane?) also did some good things. In the 2nds it was the exact opposite with Kings winning very easily 44-14.

TruBluAussieBattla

Frank Nicholson (4)
Of limited interest perhaps but Grammar seconds also had a strong victory over their newington opponents with the final margin around 30. As I predicted, Bennett who has started at prop previously in the season had an outstanding game on the wing despite not seeing much ball.

Primetime

Allen Oxlade (6)
Can anyone provide a Scots vs. Kings 3rd XV score?

The game is critical in the context of the competition, with the winner taking outright first place.

NewMacca

Chris McKivat (8)
Result in 1sts this week would seem to confirm that Scots have proven themselves more than worthy contenders. The title is theirs to lose and with their games against Newington and Joeys at Bellevue Hill, they're looking pretty good.

I may be mistaken but I believe New has not lost at Scots since 2009, likewise Scots have not lost at Stanmore since 2010, interesting statistic.

NewMacca

Chris McKivat (8)
You must have seen the only recent game where Lussick showed he has a decent pass. From what I have seen he has many great attributes as a player, but passing is not one of them.

His passing has improved dramatically, especially yesterday, I don't think any of his passes missed the mark or put pressure on the receiver to catch it, even when he was under pressure

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member

I've seen him play in games where he has passed well enough.

Overall though, I wouldn't say it's his strong suit, when you compare it to his ball running and game management.

wreckless

Bob Loudon (25)
I think you have got it completely right on the New side of things, but I think they may have shifted Milne to fullback to stop him being sent off for a shoulder charge every game. Tepai did look lost without his partner in crime outside him all the time, but with that in mind, the times they did combine were the times New scored. Lussick had a brilliant game and I have no doubt he will push for a promotion from schoolboy A's to the main team if he keeps improving, even his goalkicking is more solid. The New forwards did struggle to get some go forward sometimes but Mill and Fifita also helped get some go forward when Iggies put the pressure on. Once again New was under performing. I think we might see the bear back up maybe for sepesa next week.

I thought New's backs looked better this week. Lussick was good as usual, but I thought Lachie Anderson gave them some extra spark and also freed up Ellis Abrahams at 12 who I thought played his best game this season. Based on the form shown in the 2nd's and during his brief appearance in the main game I can't see The Bear forcing anyone out at this stage.

New's forwards were all pretty good but special mention of the Herculean effort from David Morris and Stuey Mill in the back row - they had to lift after losing Lachie Cannell early and they did! Both very effective at the breakdown and in open play. The young bloke who came on into the 2nd row when Cannell went off and Vassilis moved to No.8 also did well.

Cheers, Wreckless :)

Status
Not open for further replies.