• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrRugby37

Bob McCowan (2)

DaveyPocock #legend

Stan Wickham (3)
any idea on expected numbers for crowd on Saturday up in cold Armidale? Should be a good match, with King's needing the win, as do TAS. Ive heard that there's an old TAS boy playing prop in the Kings side.

should be a fair few people down there with the armidale community getting behind the tas XV. Kings 3rd XV is a very good team though

J

J.Sner

Good analogy re: Riverview's forwards SDW. However, my optimism regarding their prospects against Scots would be enhanced if Hunt was playing.
Without Hunt, the Riverview side will have no captain, and last time they had no captain, they got slaughtered. Should be a good game to see who steps up.

socks out

Frank Row (1)
Will be a tough task for the View side in both firsts and seconds, however I would not put it past them to rattle off upsets in both games but realistically Scots should get up by at least 10 and probably more

Newington should have an easy win over Joeys however as always the younger years and the lower grades should dominate for the Joe boys, Newington by 15+

Shore vs Kings should hopefully be a close cracker, I'd like to see Shore notch up their first win and being at home could give them a handy advantage. However the injuries for the Shore team won't help at all, so my call is Kings by 3 but it could go either way

Jim Belshaw

Bob Loudon (25)
Great to see a healthy 3rds comp. I'm guessing you would have to credit the TAS head (Murry Guest, Grammar OB '77) with pushing TAS's inclusion?

I think that's right so far as the Head is concerned. TAS went into the full comp once before when Alan Cash was head, but got effectively squeezed out. This entry is more staged and also persistent. With the changes in the game, TAS can't hope to compete at the top level at this point. But it is a very big Rugby school and a centre for Rugby in Northern NSW.

The depth is still patchy. Against View, the TAS top teams won every match, with TAS Seconds winning 45-0. However, the next level TAS teams generally lost, sometimes by big margins. My feeling, hope I guess, is that with every level of TAS Rugby down to primary school now playing a variety of rep games, we will see the school creep up back to the GPS seconds and then, dare I say it?, to the firsts. The problem is just one of number of boys.

DaveyPocock #legend

Stan Wickham (3)
I think that's right so far as the Head is concerned. TAS went into the full comp once before when Alan Cash was head, but got effectively squeezed out. This entry is more staged and also persistent. With the changes in the game, TAS can't hope to compete at the top level at this point. But it is a very big Rugby school and a centre for Rugby in Northern NSW.

The depth is still patchy. Against View, the TAS top teams won every match, with TAS Seconds winning 45-0. However, the next level TAS teams generally lost, sometimes by big margins. My feeling, hope I guess, is that with every level of TAS Rugby down to primary school now playing a variety of rep games, we will see the school creep up back to the GPS seconds and then, dare I say it?, to the firsts. The problem is just one of number of boys.

i dont think you can really gain anything from the 2nds big win over the view side. The view side was virtually the 8th XV with only 1 player in the 5ths team that travelled up to armidale actually being in the 5ths

Webb

Frank Row (1)
Just an idea,
What is everyones opinion on the premiers from both NSW GPS and QLD GPS having a game at the end of each season (like the NRL VS The Super league).
I know there is a difference in the ages.

DaveyPocock #legend

Stan Wickham (3)
Just an idea,
What is everyones opinion on the premiers from both NSW GPS and QLD GPS having a game at the end of each season (like the NRL VS The Super league).

Sounds like an awesome idea, but would the QLD gps stand a chance against a strong newington or scots team?

socks out

Frank Row (1)
Just an idea,

Honestly it's an idea that features intrigue but lets be honest theres virtually no chance of it ever happening. The logistics in general would be a tough task let alone finding a good weekend, plus the year 12 boys will be winding down and I'd doubt they would want to make the trip. However in theory it could provide decent games but teams like Scots & Newington, View 2011, Joeys with Beale and Churchie in 05 would just be way too good and it would not provide any worth.

Whose That Guy

Herbert Moran (7)
The upset round or should i say "the Aussie round" as a true Aussie, you always have to be backing the underdog and loving the thought of an upset.

View Vs Scots: Both coming off excellent wins and will be full of confidence, with view having nothing to loose and at home i think they will stun Scots with free-flowing rugby and the fitness and energy of the 6,7,8 i would say Scots may be in trouble if this team puts in 110% and shows some Iggie spirit. View by 5 in a cracker

Joeys Vs Newington: Joeys boys wont be happy after being thumped last weekend and will be angry and out to make a point, they will show some "pink" spirit and they will be defending all day. This game i think could go either way if the joeys boys come out to play and i think Newington wont be switched on the men from hunters hill could have an upset. Joeys by 3

Shore Vs Kings: The battle of the bottom, having 1 win to one school and 0 wins to the other school, this game could go either way but i think its time the shore boys had a win. Shore by 7

Last but not least, New Zealand Vs Wallabies: The men in gold by 8!!!
IT'S the upset round for a reason, good luck to all players playing tomorrow.

Whose That Guy

Herbert Moran (7)
The View XV for tomorrow

1. Nathan Kelly
2. Hosea Futukava
3. Evan Pritchard
4. Beau Peterson
5. Jack Bowditch
6. Jack Hayson
7. Josh Macaness
8. Lincoln Whitely
9. Alex Barker
10. Jack McGregor
11. Charlie McKay
12. Tom Molloy
13. Henry Hutchison
14. Sean Drennan
15. Bill Freeman

Jerusalem

Stan Wickham (3)
Just an idea,
That would be a good gyme!

Jim Belshaw

Bob Loudon (25)
i dont think you can really gain anything from the 2nds big win over the view side. The view side was virtually the 8th XV with only 1 player in the 5ths team that travelled up to armidale actually being in the 5ths

That's interesting, DP. I thought that the TAS seconds were playing View 4ths. If they were playing a fairly ramshackle View 5ths, then it's no wonder that TAS 2nds slaughtered View. You are now making me wonder about the other games as well. TAS 13As won 35-0, TAS 14As 25-7, TAS 15As 49-5, TAS 16As 40-0.

I had assumed that TAS was playing the equivalent View team at each level. Firsts against the thirds, seconds against the fourths, 16As against the 16Cs and so on. Maybe not, given your comment.

Benched '84

Allen Oxlade (6)

Lets hope this is an anomaly, and the big schools ARE taking the 3rd's comp seriously. General opinion is that some schools stack their firsts, I would hate to think they are also un-stacking their 3rd's!

Jim Belshaw

Bob Loudon (25)
Also noticed that Armidale is hosting the Fiji schools (vs country) in Sept. I assume that will be at TAS?

Don't know. The Australian School Boys Rugby Union has it listed at TAS, so I assume so. However, its not listed on the school site at the moment. Will try to find details and post them.

Rugby from the backrow

Sydney Middleton (9)
That's interesting, DP. I thought that the TAS seconds were playing View 4ths. If they were playing a fairly ramshackle View 5ths, then it's no wonder that TAS 2nds slaughtered View. You are now making me wonder about the other games as well. TAS 13As won 35-0, TAS 14As 25-7, TAS 15As 49-5, TAS 16As 40-0.

I had assumed that TAS was playing the equivalent View team at each level. Firsts against the thirds, seconds against the fourths, 16As against the 16Cs and so on. Maybe not, given your comment.

I believe Riverview were lucky to get the Quantity let alone the quality.
Year 12 boys pulled out because they were in the middle of their trials.
There was a big boarder parent weekend in Sydney (for the Joeys game and other functions) So I believe that the boarders did not have to go if their parents were down from the country (some did go).
The Bledisloe cup was on in Sydney.
I think those involved in organising Riverview teams did a good job to get any teams to Armidale!

Status
Not open for further replies.