• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob hart

Billy Sheehan (19)
In no way, shape or form did the no. 12 for Newington punch any member of the scots team. If you were not at the game and/or have not seen either sides footage of the game then can we get back to discussing rugby. Lets focus on the postives!!! Both Scots and Newington deserve to be premiers and the game showed that.
Yes he did, and it was sickening to watch........ I saw it right in front of me...... i agree both teams deserve to be premiers........... but still one very hard week to go.........

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
You've been giving that dog a good run CTPE. :)

Congratulations to your boys - they were magnificent.

Aaah....LG just the one more game for me and that's GPS involvement done and dusted so the dog won't be coming out of the kennel again. Great way for the King's boys to finish their home game season with a cracking win against the old foe.... will be very pumped to do the same to View next weekend.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
Balancing the ledger for 16A's 2011!!
Great memories Strokeside for King's 2011 u16a's undefeated season - 13 starts for 13 wins despite the best efforts of the ref at Hunter's Hill (apologies LG). A great shame that the team didn't go forward together.

NewMacca

Chris McKivat (8)
I actually spoke to kellaway after the game about the incident. so believe what you want to believe! it was one incident and he coped 20 punches in the head.

I did not see the incident, but I do believe that even 20 punches would be seen by the referee

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Aaah..LG just the one more game for me and that's GPS involvement done and dusted so the dog won't be coming out of the kennel again.

Great way for the King's boys to finish their home game season with a cracking win against the old foe.. will be very pumped to do the same to View next weekend.
Don't be a stranger on this forum CTPE.

PS - I did a blog on the game here:

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/nsw-gps-round-9-match-reports/

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Newington did desvere to win as they played better. But there is controversy that needs to be addressed. I'm not the only won that saw him cope 20 odd punches in the head.
What school girl tripe.
Stop and think about it.
How could anyone land 6 punches,let alone 20 blows without 1,000's of spectators seeing anything.
It's OK to lose occasionally.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
IS
Interested to hear your views on the SGS team and how they are playing?
They have had a few injuries and because their depth is limited they suffer when this happens particularly in 1s.
However, there is a consistency in the way they are trying to play the game which is filtering down the ages and helps a bit in this regard.
Saturday's game was testing because High always find an extra gear against Grammar, both on the field and on the sideline. It was a very close and tense match being 12-7 with minutes to go before Grammar put on a try.
To my mind this was a good sign because there was every chance High could have snatched a try to level, yet Grammar toughed it out.
Overall I think a lot of progress has been made in a relatively short time and credit for this should go to the coaches and boys.
The progress needs to be turned into participation numbers: only 35 boys in 16s I'm told and 13s would not be much better.
The 15s age is pretty competitive: they had not been too badly beaten even before dropping down this season and, with no disrespect to the C teams they have played, it has not been great outcome for them - winning many games by 60-70 points. This age seems to be attracting kids each season - so that's a good thing. Parents from the other schools have told me that they think the 15a side could play As without being thrashed.

Jim Belshaw

Bob Loudon (25)
Any way what a great game I watched in the 3rd 15, Scots V TAS, it was an absolute pleasure to watch, TAS had the game wrapped up and Scots fought back a little to little to late, but the real winner I thought was GPS rugby ... along with RM Williams and Co. on the sideline, great rugby and TAS were a great side ... i look forward to when they and Grammar and High might be able to compete at the top level again ... I really thought that TAS were not that far off...great sportsmanship to see TAS tunnel New on to field...

It was a good game, one in two halves. In the first half, the strong TAS backs ran straight through. Half time score 24-0. Then Scots fought back' scoring two quick tries and then another one. TAS 24' Scots 17. TAS recovered, scoring a converted try.

Looking at a later comment on the SGS-SBHS game, depth is the problem for the smaller Rugby schools. TAS seconds lost to Scots 4ths 38-12. Here the Scots backs were too big and fast. TAS did fight back through the forwards, but this came too late.

Only three games were played on the oval, so I didn't see the any of the other; they were played elsewhere, reducing the TAS presence at the main games. I don't know the other results, but they will provide a depth indicator. TAS thirds got a game this time against Scots 6ths, TAS 16As played the 16cs., TAS 16bs played the Ds. However, the TAS 14 and 15As played the Scots Bs. In all, TAS fielded twelve teams down to the 13s, including 14As, Bs and Cs. So 180 TAS boys got a game plus any reserves.

The wide spread of TAS teams across various Scots grades should when combined with earlier results give a feel for TAS strength over the next few years.

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
Guys with 50+ postings.

Can you please advise if there are any wind-ups in the last two pages.

Anyone guilty of wind-ups will get a long ban.

Geez I hope that doesn't get a wave of wind-ups
Thats why I stay away from conversation over the weekend LG... Something about lunatics and asylums...

H

harrysboy

A pet hate of mine:

If the Under 19 Rugby Laws do not permit lineout jumpers to be lifted by the legs (that is, lifting by the shorts only), why do I see several forwards with tape on their thighs each week?!?

I've seen tape on both Shore and Joeys forwards in recent weeks. Some appear to have even tried to hide the tape from the Referee by using black tape against their dark shorts! C'mon coaches, earn some respect by playing by the rules.

Paddogreen

Herbert Moran (7)
I believe it was close 24-21 or something like that

Yep 24 to 21. 4 tries to 3. Scots kicker kicked all 3 and one form the sideline. Great game of footy. New forwards big and strong and great technique. Scots backs ran the ball well. A great Advertisement for GPS rugby, with plenty of boys catching up with old mates from their PSSA days

sarcophilus

Charlie Fox (21)
A pet hate of mine:

If the Under 19 Rugby Laws do not permit lineout jumpers to be lifted by the legs (that is, lifting by the shorts only), why do I see several forwards with tape on their thighs each week?!?

I've seen tape on both Shore and Joeys forwards in recent weeks. Some appear to have even tried to hide the tape from the Referee by using black tape against their dark shorts! C'mon coaches, earn some respect by playing by the rules.

A pet hate of mine is the restriction of high performing athletes skill development
u/15 state representatives have developed the core strength and awareness to perform this skill by the time they are u/16 a grade players can do this
opens there would be 2nd XV players more than capable. watching the Sydney v Country U/16 it was clear (photos posted on this site) the ref was stopping one team from doing this and allowing the other
same as scrum rules restricting the development of front rowers and safe scrum practice at higher levels (though this will not be so significant if the Rugby championship experiment is expanded we will only need leagies front rowers soon)

good on you refs and coaches for allowing players to play at their ability

Gossip Girl

Bob McCowan (2)
Gossip girl heard whispers that the 16a's referee awarded Shore 40 penalties, and View 5. I'm a referee myself, and I know for a fact that you can't march a team 30 metres, let alone allow a quick taps after marching a team 10. Gossip girl hopes to see a better quality of refereeing next time.
You know you love me,
xoxo
Gossip Girl.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Picking up on the the theme of pet hates: I do not think that there is consistent application of the U19 scrum laws in relation to how far the scrum can be pushed. I have seen only 1 free kick for this in several years.
The laws in this regard were clearly introduced to improve safety, the logic is easy to see: any shove beyond 1.5m is liable to result in the shoved scrum disintegrating with a consequent increase in the potential for serious injury.
The boys need not only to be refereed accurately on this issue but to be coached so that they know what the law is and do not infringe it.
Similar considerations apply with the leg lifting in lineouts and you cannot differentiate between A and B or 1st and 2nd players because of injuries and replacements - you have to have a whole age based position to make it manageable.

NewMacca

Chris McKivat (8)
There were a couple of incidents in the New vs. Scots game on Saturday where the New scrumhalf, Joey Lussick, was tackled after putting his hands on the ball but it was ambiguous whether it was "out" of the ruck or not. Can anyone shed some light on what point the ball is considered"out" of the ruck?

Status
Not open for further replies.