• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
There were a couple of incidents in the New vs. Scots game on Saturday where the New scrumhalf, Joey Lussick, was tackled after putting his hands on the ball but it was ambiguous whether it was "out" of the ruck or not. Can anyone shed some light on what point the ball is considered"out" of the ruck?
When a seagull can sh*t on it.
If the 9 has his hands on the ball then by definition the ball must be out of the ruck since you cannot use your hands in the ruck unless you had your hands on the ball before it became a ruck.

Gossip Girl

Bob McCowan (2)
yes but theoretically the 9 can have his hands deep in the ruck, and this isn't classified as "out". This is when the "seagull can sh*t on it comes into play. In summary, the 9 can have his hands on it without it being out.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
yes but theoretically the 9 can have his hands deep in the ruck, and this isn't classified as "out". This is when the "seagull can sh*t on it comes into play. In summary, the 9 can have his hands on it without it being out.
Only because that is the practical interpretation of laws which do not go that far.
Screen Shot 2013-09-02 at 10.27.23 AM.png

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Haha, I'm curious to see an example of (f) in practice. Can I have that website link?
GG
Well it used to be prevalent: the dummy pass by the half.
I should add that I am always nervous quoting the laws because you almost need ro read the whole lot every time someone poses a question - someone will tell me if i am wrong about this one. (And I am nervous about this one because I cannot see where dragging the half into a ruck is illegal)
Here's the link: http://www.irblaws.com/index.php?&language=EN
Also available as an app for ipad and iphone (and android) - always handy to have at the game, subject to the above rider.

Rugby from the backrow

Sydney Middleton (9)
Well it used to be prevalent: the dummy pass by the half.
I should add that I am always nervous quoting the laws because you almost need ro read the whole lot every time someone poses a question - someone will tell me if i am wrong about this one. (And I am nervous about this one because I cannot see where dragging the half into a ruck is illegal)
Here's the link: http://www.irblaws.com/index.php?&language=EN
Also available as an app for ipad and iphone (and android) - always handy to have at the game, subject to the above rider.

I also do the occasional bit of refereeing and the interpretation of the laws of the game vary from referee to referee and this does make it difficult for the players and their support staff (parents) to get a consistent ruling on things such as turnovers. The other difficulty is the playing of advantage to try and keep the game flowing, spectators see the knockon,etc but rarely consider the advantage to the non offending team if it is play on.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I also do the occasional bit of refereeing and the interpretation of the laws of the game vary from referee to referee and this does make it difficult for the players and their support staff (parents) to get a consistent ruling on things such as turnovers. The other difficulty is the playing of advantage to try and keep the game flowing, spectators see the knockon,etc but rarely consider the advantage to the non offending team if it is play on.
and then - as i saw on the weekend - complain if you play too long an advantage and intimidate young refs into calling it over when merely the opportunity for an advantage has arisen

random2

Johnnie Wallace (23)
A pet hate of mine:

If the Under 19 Rugby Laws do not permit lineout jumpers to be lifted by the legs (that is, lifting by the shorts only), why do I see several forwards with tape on their thighs each week?!?

I've seen tape on both Shore and Joeys forwards in recent weeks. Some appear to have even tried to hide the tape from the Referee by using black tape against their dark shorts! C'mon coaches, earn some respect by playing by the rules.

All schools do this so please don't restrict it to Joeys and Shore. Once they hit 15s, all good teams leg lift and I saw it used by all states at the National Championships. I've only seen one referee penalise it and he even went far as to produce a yellow card. Refs are too lenient on it and the coaches are not to blame.

john cena

Frank Row (1)
looking forward to the kings vs joeys match at parramatta this weekend! usually a memorable clash on the J.S White Oval in recent history

i was out at parramatta watching the game on the weekend, these highlights replicated again on the weekend at the JS white oval with a dominate kings side, espeacially through the backs. looking forward to a cracking game against riverview this weekend.

sarcophilus

Charlie Fox (21)
The coaches are totally to blame.
If you are a coach,you should never practise lifting in the ages where it is not allowed.
If your team does not practise this,why would you allow your jumpers to tape their legs?

Fashion/backs
I see backs with similar tape, they also wrap electrical tape around their heads(regularly forgetting their ears...)
I was regularly told when asked to polish my footy boots and pull up my socks
"If you cant be a footballer at least look like one"
this may be a little lost on backs now as I have not seen pink or blue or safety vest yellow boot polish

I haven't seen to many fashions move from the fashionistas numbered over 5
back into the forwards... well snap bands a a little impractical really

for the record lifting in general play is also banned for U/19 and I see this around the paddocks as well

H

harrysboy

A pet hate of mine is the restriction of high performing athletes skill development
u/15 state representatives have developed the core strength and awareness to perform this skill by the time they are u/16 a grade players can do this
opens there would be 2nd XV players more than capable. watching the Sydney v Country U/16 it was clear (photos posted on this site) the ref was stopping one team from doing this and allowing the other
same as scrum rules restricting the development of front rowers and safe scrum practice at higher levels (though this will not be so significant if the Rugby championship experiment is expanded we will only need leagies front rowers soon)

good on you refs and coaches for allowing players to play at their ability

I don't understand the logic of 'bending the rules' because the referee thinks they might be up to it. How can coaches then coach a team for rules that might be bent?

However, you might be interested to know that variations to the law appear to have been, or are being, considered. See: http://www.rugby.com.au/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=TXtTE9apjPw=&tabid=2119

sarcophilus

Charlie Fox (21)
Excellent
might be worth posting on the u/16 national championships thread
shame about the scrum though, scrums will be more unstable and 2nd rowers shoulders at risk but...little steps

Think About Rugby

Allen Oxlade (6)
They have had a few injuries and because their depth is limited they suffer when this happens particularly in 1s.
However, there is a consistency in the way they are trying to play the game which is filtering down the ages and helps a bit in this regard.
Saturday's game was testing because High always find an extra gear against Grammar, both on the field and on the sideline. It was a very close and tense match being 12-7 with minutes to go before Grammar put on a try.
To my mind this was a good sign because there was every chance High could have snatched a try to level, yet Grammar toughed it out.
Overall I think a lot of progress has been made in a relatively short time and credit for this should go to the coaches and boys.
The progress needs to be turned into participation numbers: only 35 boys in 16s I'm told and 13s would not be much better.
The 15s age is pretty competitive: they had not been too badly beaten even before dropping down this season and, with no disrespect to the C teams they have played, it has not been great outcome for them - winning many games by 60-70 points. This age seems to be attracting kids each season - so that's a good thing. Parents from the other schools have told me that they think the 15a side could play As without being thrashed.

Thanks for that. I certainly agree there has been improvement in the opens. Have seen little of the juniors. Not good to hear of only 35 in 16's. In opens I see the backs as quite competent, with defence a strong suit. A little short of strength in forwards this may be the injuries you mention. Without Gorry next year may be tough. Are there any 16's to bolster the forwards?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Thanks for that. I certainly agree there has been improvement in the opens. Have seen little of the juniors. Not good to hear of only 35 in 16's. In opens I see the backs as quite competent, with defence a strong suit. A little short of strength in forwards this may be the injuries you mention. Without Gorry next year may be tough. Are there any 16's to bolster the forwards?
I saw one in the 16As - it might have been in 2s as it was a long day - who looked to have a bit of size about him but not Gorry like. Mind you Gorry has put on about 10kgs in the legs since season 2012 so you never know.
Those who know more than me about the 16s think that they will lose a bit in the pigs but that the backs will be better. The backs do seem young - 10 is year 10 (I think), 12 is year 9, one or maybe both of the 13s used in the last few weeks is year 11 - so you would expect some development

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
20 punches- the thrower certainly has a future as a boxer with hand speed that allows him to throw 20 punches and connect with an opponent in the close confines of a ruck. The receiver also has a future as a boxer if he can take 20 punches not get cut, marked or or suffer any consequences of receiving such punishment. :p

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
All schools do this so please don't restrict it to Joeys and Shore. Once they hit 15s, all good teams leg lift and I saw it used by all states at the National Championships. I've only seen one referee penalise it and he even went far as to produce a yellow card. Refs are too lenient on it and the coaches are not to blame.

re the National Championships, I believe International U19 Law applied where leg lifting is legal. This seems apporpriate to me given that this is a selection trial tournament for Schoolboy Internationals.

GPS Contender

Stan Wickham (3)
20 punches- the thrower certainly has a future as a boxer with hand speed that allows him to throw 20 punches and connect with an opponent in the close confines of a ruck. The receiver also has a future as a boxer if he can take 20 punches not get cut, marked or or suffer any consequences of receiving such punishment. :p

I agree ILMF. Rarely do boys get away with one punch let alone 20. I think old matey is a delusional Scots boy (judging by his spelling and grammar) who is taking the loss a little harder than he should. And although I am a great fan of Andrew Kellaway and believe he is once in a generation rugby player, I think it would be a bit of a stretch for even him to survive 20 big ones without any issues or evidence. New simply were a better team, deal with it, you take your medicine and move on. Rather than winging about the New game, he ought concentrate on the Pink and Blue monster!

Status
Not open for further replies.