• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Belshaw

Bob Loudon (25)
At end August at the National Indigenous Rugby Championships, Northern Queensland defeated Northern NSW in the finals. Now two TAS boys, Buddy Mumbulla & Jayden Harradine have been selected for the national indigenous u16s rugby team. They will play in the 2013 ARU National Under 16s Championships to be held at Iggies from Sunday 29 September until Friday 4 October. TAS has quite a big indigenous cohort. Well done boys,

Jim Belshaw

Bob Loudon (25)
Re our discussion on scheduling problems in the current GPS competition, TAS has just posted venues and teams for this weekend. With TAS thirds game still to be confirmed, TAS is playing three schools at three venues - Newington, Shore and Joeys. That's not a criticism. Interested to see the results of the TAS15As v Joeys 15Bs.

wreckless

Bob Loudon (25)
Re our discussion on scheduling problems in the current GPS competition, TAS has just posted venues and teams for this weekend. With TAS thirds game still to be confirmed, TAS is playing three schools at three venues - Newington, Shore and Joeys. That's not a criticism. Interested to see the results of the TAS15As v Joeys 15Bs.

So Jim - re the 3rd XV comp : Am I correct in that if TAS beat New on Saturday ( probable ) they will go to 15 points with 6 - 1 - 1 ( W-D-L ) record.

Therefore - if View beat Joeys they will finish on 11 points ( 4 - 1 - 3 ) and keep Joeys on 14 points ( 6 - 0 - 2 ).

If Scots beat High they will be on 14 also ( 6 - 0- 2 ).

So if the results go TAS way they could be Premiers!

Grammar vs. Kings should be a keenly contested game and worth a look!

Let me just add that like many posters I have enjoyed following the 3rd's competition this year and am encouraged by what I perceive as progress made by the schools who have slotted into this comp. yes - there are logistical problems and some uneven match ups but on the whole it has been competitive and interesting to follow. Well done to all teams! :)

I am also putting it out there that I am a fan of the 2 round "Home & Away" comp - it has added a new dimension that I have enjoyed! More games - I couldn't be happier!!!:D

Cheers, Wreckless

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
http://www.nswrugby.com.au/NSWRugby/News/NewsArticle/tabid/374/ArticleID/10148/Default.aspx

"Schoolboys Sevens Championship to showcase NSW talent

By Patrick Higgins

The 2013 Hong Kong NSW Secondary Schoolboys Sevens U18 Championship will kick of this Sunday September 8, with top schools from around the state competing for the coveted state schoolboys title.

Showcasing some of the best rugby talent from around NSW, <.snip>"

The "top schools from around the state" "showcasing some of the best rugby talent from around NSW" includes one team from The Scots School.

For all those nay sayers who believe that NSW RU have devolved all their Under 18 and below rugby development responsibilities to the AAGPS, this is a sign that the NSW RU clearly believes that the AAGPS is only capable of producing one team that could be considered a top school from around NSW, and that there the AAGPS is only capable of producing 10 of the 160 best rugby talent from around the state.
There is clearly plenty of top notch rugby talent development being done at top schools around the state outside of the ISA and AAGPS associations, at least in the view of the NSW RU spindoctors.

Anyway, ignoring the spin from the unpaid interns at NSW RU, would anyone have a go at nominating a 10 man Rugby 7's Dream team squad from the respective schools.

Remember that the 10 best players in the 15 aside game are not necessarily the best players to make up a Rugby 7's squad.

Lee Grant has done some analysis on what a 7's squad should have, somewhere on the G&GR threads, and IIRC it goes something along the lines of:
A couple of gazelles with blistering pace
A couple of steppers
A couple of fast chunky lads that can lineout jump, hold up a 3 man scrum, counter ruck and take the ball into the tackle.
A quarterback/playmaker
A sweeper who never misses a tackle.
A fetcher/pilferer.

The Rugby 7's squad of 10 will essentially be (using 15 aside positions) some loose forwards (6/7/8) and a mobile lock, a halfback (9), a couple of centres (12, 13), two wings and a full back.

Going by the composition of the most of the Top 7's teams on the international circuit, the stars in the 7's game are basic journeymen in the 15 aside version of the game.

Jim Belshaw

Bob Loudon (25)
So Jim - re the 3rd XV comp : Am I correct in that if TAS beat New on Saturday ( probable ) they will go to 15 points with 6 - 1 - 1 ( W-D-L ) record.

Therefore - if View beat Joeys they will finish on 11 points ( 4 - 1 - 3 ) and keep Joeys on 14 points ( 6 - 0 - 2 ).

If Scots beat High they will be on 14 also ( 6 - 0- 2 ).

So if the results go TAS way they could be Premiers!

Grammar vs. Kings should be a keenly contested game and worth a look!

Let me just add that like many posters I have enjoyed following the 3rd's competition this year and am encouraged by what I perceive as progress made by the schools who have slotted into this comp. yes - there are logistical problems and some uneven match ups but on the whole it has been competitive and interesting to follow. Well done to all teams! :)

I am also putting it out there that I am a fan of the 2 round "Home & Away" comp - it has added a new dimension that I have enjoyed! More games - I couldn't be happier!!!:D

Cheers, Wreckless

You maths is right, Wreckless, although I haven't said anything for fear of jinxing things. This will be a tight round; nothing should be taken for granted. TAS will be nervous, I suspect. New will lift in front of a home crowd on such a big weekend at the school. Joeys will lift for they must win to win, and Iggies will try to follow them. I think that Grammar and Kings will lift too. I think that we are going to get some good football with some possibly surprising results. I am looking forward to it all.

Jim Belshaw

Bob Loudon (25)
This is the program for the TAS matches this weekend courtesy of the School. It may take a magnifying glass to read it!
https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-AK (Andrew Kellaway)-prn1/560861_519191681491723_1026060927_n.png

Brainstrust

Watty Friend (18)
I wanted to say what a great rugby season the 2013 GPS has been. As always there have been winners and losers, but the 2 round format as seen sides get a second crack such as Kings turning the table on joeys in round 2 of the comp..even though Shore as struggled, they ave been in most of their games until the last 1/4 or so. Riverview have exceeded the predictions of many who wrote them off, and the much lauded depth of joeys rugby didn't eventuate in victories when injuries played a art. Of course a shared premiership seemingly likely between Newington an Scots seems appropriate for the best 2 teams. One things for sure 2014 will have its shareof surprises as has 2013... Good luck to all the boys this weekend, and can't wait for next year to start.

GPSrow

Watty Friend (18)
Gents, looking over the reviews of the current hooker for New (Matt Serhorn). He has certainly been previously undershadowed then overshadowed by the hooker of Riverview even though picked in the GPS 1s and now plays in a Premiership team. Is there any other chance that such players as Matt, Lachlan Anderson or Stuart Mill that could be considered for other state or national selection or will they just slot into Shute Shield colts once the year is over????

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
This is the program for the TAS matches this weekend courtesy of the School. It may take a magnifying glass to read it!

I notice that Taipan168 gets these things in a post and you can click on something to make it full size (is it a Snipping Tool section)?

I'll tag him so he can tell us what he does.

Taipan168

NewMacca

Chris McKivat (8)
Gents, looking over the reviews of the current hooker for New (Matt Serhorn). He has certainly been previously undershadowed then overshadowed by the hooker of Riverview even though picked in the GPS 1s and now plays in a Premiership team. Is there any other chance that such players as Matt, Lachlan Anderson or Stuart Mill that could be considered for other state or national selection or will they just slot into Shute Shield colts once the year is over????

Mill has had a great season and I think the timing of the GPS selections was a bit unfortunate for him. Would not be surprised to see him pilfering the ball in 1st grade colts at least at whichever club he ends up representing

George Smith

Ted Thorn (20)
The 2013 Hong Kong NSW Secondary Schoolboys Sevens U18 Championship will kick of this Sunday September 8, with top schools from around the state competing for the coveted state schoolboys title.
Showcasing some of the best rugby talent from around NSW, <.snip>"

The "top schools from around the state" "showcasing some of the best rugby talent from around NSW" includes one team from The Scots School.

aaghh, the benefits of winning your own tournament during Easter when many of us are paying our dues.....?

George Smith

Ted Thorn (20)
there is always State and National selection in cricket, surf lifesaving, swimming etc now that the footy season is (almost) over.

GTPIH

Ted Thorn (20)
aaghh, the benefits of winning your own tournament during Easter when many of us are paying our dues...?

Lloydies actually beat Scots in the final. I don't know how the other schools qualified but Scots and Lloydies made it by making the final of the Scots 7s.

Given virtually the entire Scots 7s team from Easter is in the 1st XV, it will be interesting to see who backs up after Joeys on Saturday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom