• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oranges

Frank Nicholson (4)
I wanted to say what a great rugby season the 2013 GPS has been. As always there have been winners and losers, but the 2 round format as seen sides get a second crack such as Kings turning the table on joeys in round 2 of the comp..even though Shore as struggled, they ave been in most of their games until the last 1/4 or so. Riverview have exceeded the predictions of many who wrote them off, and the much lauded depth of joeys rugby didn't eventuate in victories when injuries played a art. Of course a shared premiership seemingly likely between Newington an Scots seems appropriate for the best 2 teams. One things for sure 2014 will have its shareof surprises as has 2013. Good luck to all the boys this weekend, and can't wait for next year to start.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think joeys are leading both the 2's and 3's comp. I don't think depth was their problem. Maybe the ability to step up. As someone earlier said they seem to run out of legs or give up when they got behind. Maybe they need a psychologist to get their mind right. Or a hyperbaric chamber. Any one got one to spare?

The Spectator

Herbert Moran (7)
and if the 16As beat Scots, they will be outright winners in that comp or joint winners (maybe ahead on points). 16Bs are leading their comp (if not undefeated) and I heard the 15As are tracking well after a slow start.

The 1sts look to have lost their mojo but never underestimate a team unexpectedly beaten.

Tahspark

Ted Thorn (20)
The results of Riverview & Shore's battles:

Rd 1 (View) Rd 2 (Shore)

1sts 38-15; 17-33
2nds 15-19; 14-29
16As 17-22; 38-12
15As 19-12; 17-25
14As 22-12; 15-24
13As 19-5; 0-14

All the best to everyone competing tomorrow for some memorable games. Special mention to those Year 12 boys who will be running around in their last school match.

NewMacca

Chris McKivat (8)
Predictions:

Joeys vs. Scots: Joeys will be desperate to finish on a high after a disappointing season and could lose 4th place if results go certain ways, however Scots are simply too good and will look to fire after their loss last week. Scots by +20

Iggies vs Kings: Kings could pinch 4th spot with a win here which would give a good end to an otherwise poor season from the Parramatta boys. However the Iggies boys who have come in for injuries and other reasons will be desperate to put on a good performance for the coaches for next year. Iggies by+10

New vs. Shore: The New boys will be fired up after last week's result and the annual Back to Newington Day, in front of a big crowd, I'd expect them to step it up this week and put some points on a depleted Shore side. New by +50

Good luck to all boys across the grades playing their final games of the season, especially those year 12 whose school careers are coming to an end.

Cheers, NM

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
The results of Riverview & Shore's battles:

Rd 1 (View) Rd 2 (Shore)

1sts 38-15; 17-33
2nds 15-19; 14-29
16As 17-22; 38-12
15As 19-12; 17-25
14As 22-12; 15-24
13As 19-5; 0-14

All the best to everyone competing tomorrow for some memorable games. Special mention to those Year 12 boys who will be running around in their last school match.
All close matches there.

footyking

Stan Wickham (3)
Predictions:

New vs. Shore: The New boys will be fired up after last week's result and the annual Back to Newington Day, in front of a big crowd, I'd expect them to step it up this week and put some points on a depleted Shore side. New by 50+

i feel sorry for what shore has gone through this season and to finish against a premiership team who will be fired up to win, im affraid it will be another game like the Scots one

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
i feel sorry for what shore has gone through this season and to finish against a premiership team who will be fired up to win, im affraid it will be another game like the Scots one
I think that you might be right. One of the reasons that they're against the 2 round format.

Jim Belshaw

Bob Loudon (25)
Gorgeous and colourful day at Newington. Nice crowd, nice feel. I watched bits of two games, two games in full, but did not stay for later games because I wanted to know what had happened elsewhere in the thirds.

Shore 4ths were just to strong for Newington 4ths with a blow out score. Then TAS seconds had a very comfortable win over Newington 5ths. A Newington parent commented on differing skill levels. It's actually difficult, for TAS seconds get (I think) more intensive coaching. There was a red card in this game, but I was too far away to work out why.

The thirds game stated with two quick TAS tries before Newington scored. Tas recovered, scoring a try and a yellow card in quick succession. Two minutes later Newington scored again, followed two minutes after that by a Newington yellow card. Again, i couldn't see the causes of either yellow card. The second half was all TAS as speed and weight told. Despite the final score (52-10), Newington actually slowed the TAS running game in the first half. Two of the TAS backs in particular are very fast and dangerous. They ran through Scots earlier

Despite my sunburn, I forgot to take a hat, I enjoyed the game and Newington hospitality. And if as it seems TAS has won the inaugural GPS Thirds premiership, I may (I hope) be forgiven for feeling a sense of satisfaction and pride.

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
Gorgeous and colourful day at Newington. Nice crowd, nice feel. I watched bits of two games, two games in full, but did not stay for later games because I wanted to know what had happened elsewhere in the thirds.

Shore 4ths were just to strong for Newington 4ths with a blow out score. Then TAS seconds had a very comfortable win over Newington 5ths. A Newington parent commented on differing skill levels. It's actually difficult, for TAS seconds get (I think) more intensive coaching. There was a red card in this game, but I was too far away to work out why.

The thirds game stated with two quick TAS tries before Newington scored. Tas recovered, scoring a try and a yellow card in quick succession. Two minutes later Newington scored again, followed two minutes after that by a Newington yellow card. Again, i couldn't see the causes of either yellow card. The second half was all TAS as speed and weight told. Despite the final score (52-10), Newington actually slowed the TAS running game in the first half. Two of the TAS backs in particular are very fast and dangerous. They ran through Scots earlier

Despite my sunburn, I forgot to take a hat, I enjoyed the game and Newington hospitality. And if as it seems TAS has won the inaugural GPS Thirds premiership, I may (I hope) be forgiven for feeling a sense of satisfaction and pride.
Well done TAS.

Colin Windon

Herbert Moran (7)
"and if the 16As beat Scots, they will be outright winners in that comp or joint winners (maybe ahead on points). 16Bs are leading their comp (if not undefeated) and I heard the 15As are tracking well after a slow start"

Kings 16A's won comfortably at View, although conditions were far from comfortable at 30 plus degrees! Any word on the Joey's v Scots 16A's clash?

HFTH

Chris McKivat (8)
"and if the 16As beat Scots, they will be outright winners in that comp or joint winners (maybe ahead on points). 16Bs are leading their comp (if not undefeated) and I heard the 15As are tracking well after a slow start"

Kings 16A's won comfortably at View, although conditions were far from comfortable at 30 plus degrees! Any word on the Joey's v Scots 16A's clash?

HFTH

Chris McKivat (8)
Kings beat riverview in the firsts. 37-26 i think was final score. Only saw second half which was exciting rugby. Both sides threw it around. First time I have seen riverview play this year and noted some big units in the forwards.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

I was at Stanmore today to watch a mate's son play in the firsts and as you say, what a wonderful Sydney day. I'd forgotten how low the planes get there though.

Any way, well done to TAS on their victory and I thought Newington did well to stay with them for 3/4 of the match as the TAS boys were, bigger, stronger and faster. TAS led the whole match, but for most of it were only 1-2 tries ahead and then really cut loose in the last 15 mins to show what a good team they are. Well-coached, well-prepared physically and good players all over the field.

The TAS 2s v NC 5s seemed a complete mismatch, I saw most of it and despite TAS only having 14 on the field because of the red card, it was still a lot to nil.

In the 2nds, the lead changed throughout the match. Newington had a very dominant scrum, but after about 15mins the game went to uncontested scrums. With about 5 to go, Newington were up 16-14 on attack and a move from the back of a scrum went wrong and Shore swept downfield and kicked ahead. A Newington player won the race for the ball, but in a moment of indiscipline, shouldered a Shore player to the ground before the 22 could be taken and was penalised. Shore kicked the 3 to lead 17-16. The drama was not over yet, as from the kickoff Newington went on the attack and were awarded a penalty out near the touchline about 25m out. They decided to take the all or nothing option, which was surprising as the boy had missed a couple of easier shots. The kick was waved away, but the match had more in it as the ball landed in goal, took a left turn and began bouncing parallel to the dead ball line. The New winger, who was the only player on the field chasing the kick only had to catch the ball and fall over to score the winning try, but got himself into a tangle, stumbled and the ball bounced over his head across the touch in goal line. Full time and a win to Shore.

In the 1sts, Newington kicked-off, regathered and scored in the first minute. The rest of the first half followed the pattern of Shore in possession in the Newington half, on the back of a procession of penalties, but unable to score more than 1 penalty goal. To their credit, they threw eveything they had at the try line, but the defence held. Each time Newington gained possession they scored. Newington received their first penalty about a minute before half time and the score at oranges was NC 31, Shore 3. I'd estimate that Shore had about 70% of possession and territory in the first half. The second half followed a similar pattern, although it took about 15-20 mins for Newington to score. At 38-3, I'd had enough and left with about 10 to go. I suspect that the script didn't change that much after that.

Newington too big and too skilful, Shore played out of their skins and never gave up, but didn't have the size or skill to score despite a mountain of possession.

Status
Not open for further replies.