• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2014

Who will win...

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Cabby

Stan Wickham (3)
Following on from the Captain at #2078..

It is extremely disappointing when people who can hide behind their monikers on GAGR post items about a referee and go so far as to name & question his performance. It is just as bad as naming a player IMHO ( and on these threads the players are KIDS !)

I am acquainted with this referee, and he is a highly regarded senior subbies & grade referee, with more experience than most and IMHO he is one of the much better whistleblowers going around- and to suggest that he has some hidden agenda is absolutely absurd.

If what the Captain has posted is accurate ( and & do say IF).then the referee seems to have been justified in his actions.

If the comments that are attributed to SOME (and I am positive it would have been in the minority, not all) of the Joeys players is true...( and again, I say IF) - then if they had been playing in the SJRU comp they would have received 3 weeks or more - as there is an absolute ban on referee abuse - during AND after a match.

I am asolutely sick and tired of hearing the whinging about referees on here ( and other threads too - it is not just a GPS affliction) - if you think you can do a better job, go & do the referee course, get accredited - and get out on the other side of the sideline rope and see what it is like to be out in the middle coping abuse from every know it all parent and smart arse kid who think they know better and who quite frankly - haven't GOT a clue about the Laws of the Game. If they did, I might pay attention occassionally !

All referees go out to try the damndest to give the players a match that they will enjoy - keeping it safe for both sides - and hoping like hell that they get MOST things right on the day. Sometimes they don't - and everyone is entitled to an "average ay at the office".
99% do it for the love of the game, and to try & give something back.

Time to man-up whingers !

If you don't like what youy see - get off your backsides and do something about it.

Sunday morning rant over...back to work.
The Hound

Im sure if you found the Referee and asked him, he would be able to justify the comments.

Oranges

Frank Nicholson (4)
The kids in the lower grades couldn't careless what you or any of the other anti Scots commentators think or say about their reputation. The average kid doesn't have a reputation (in rugby)in the first place too tarnish.
if scots chose play by the same rules as every other school instead of this win at any cost mentality they seem to be pushing we wouldn't be having discussions about the integrity of lower grades. Instead we'd be talking about how shore nearly knocked off the pre comp favourites Riverview and how it was good to see a close game played with true schoolboy spirit. Yes I know, I'm getting close to having to move to the other thread but it is as it is.

Gregor

Ward Prentice (10)
because they are with a couple of exceptions built like a league team: they are 11 back rowers
Interesting thinking IS. Scots are a very mobile team. They pass very flat on the advantage line and have players running into multiple channels which creates indecision in the defensive line of the opposition. In recent years rugby generally looks a lot more like league, with the defensive line spread out across the field, less players commited to the rucks and mauls, and a more mobile forward pack.

Oranges

Frank Nicholson (4)
Im sure if you found the Referee and asked him, he would be able to justify the comments.
if the penalty count was 25-3 it'd be interesting to hear the justification. Apparently there was foul play from both sides yet all the blame going to only one? Yeah that could make a schoolboy get frustrated.

random2

Johnnie Wallace (23)
I will no longer comment on the refereeing in question as I've made my thoughts clear and don't want to carry on.

Regarding the 3rd comp, looks like Grammar are the team to beat although they will have a tough task against Scots who have quite a few players who would not look out of place in 1st grade.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Interesting thinking IS. Scots are a very mobile team. They pass very flat on the advantage line and have players running into multiple channels which creates indecision in the defensive line of the opposition.

No doubt they're well drilled and no doubt it would take a good team to test them out.
I also think that 'view will not be able to control them in defence so I'm tipping a TSC Championship.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
So Shore were leading Riverview with only minutes left on the clock! Despite the loss, that surely will boost their self-belief for coming games.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
So Shore were leading Riverview with only minutes left on the clock! Despite the loss, that surely will boost their self-belief for coming games.

I'm glad for them. I hope they can keep it going.

I'm not sure how New are going to react to yesterday's defeat. Has their school 1stXV ever lost by 100 point in the past 151 years? I feel sorry for any junior rugby player who is on the end of a score like that.

Gregor

Ward Prentice (10)
No doubt they're well drilled and no doubt it would take a good team to test them out.
I also think that 'view will not be able to control them in defence so I'm tipping a TSC Championship.
If View can commit more players to the rucks and pilfer more ball or at the very least slow down the service of ball to the Scots back line, it will cause frustration and result in penalties against Scots. In previous games some of the opposition have done this successfully, but not consistently enough throughout the game to make an overall impact. I think Scots lack discipline at the rucks and mauls when things aren't going their way. Consistently committing numbers to the rucks and mauls whilst may not look all that pretty, I think will dampen Scots effectiveness. France against Australia in the 2nd test this year was a good example of this strategy. Only difference was Australia was very disciplined and gave away very few penalties. I doubt Scots will be able to display such discipline.

Gregor

Ward Prentice (10)
If View can commit more players to the rucks and pilfer more ball or at the very least slow down the service of ball to the Scots back line, it will cause frustration and result in penalties against Scots. In previous games some of the opposition have done this successfully, but not consistently enough throughout the game to make an overall impact. I think Scots lack discipline at the rucks and mauls when things aren't going their way. Consistently committing numbers to the rucks and mauls whilst may not look all that pretty, I think will dampen Scots effectiveness. France against Australia in the 2nd test this year was a good example of this strategy. Only difference was Australia was very discipline and gave away very few penalties. I doubt Scots will be able to display such discipline.
I suppose I am thinking a more traditional style of rugby might work against Scots. If View try to play them at their game, I doubt View will be able to match them.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
If View can commit more players to the rucks and pilfer more ball or at the very least slow down the service of ball to the Scots back line, it will cause frustration and result in penalties against Scots. In previous games some of the opposition have done this successfully, but not consistently enough throughout the game to make an overall impact. I think Scots lack discipline at the rucks and mauls when things aren't going their way. Consistently committing numbers to the rucks and mauls whilst may not look all that pretty, I think will dampen Scots effectiveness. France against Australia in the 2nd test this year was a good example of this strategy. Only difference was Australia was very discipline and gave away very few penalties. I doubt Scots will be able to display such discipline.

Good point. If Scots don't get front foot ball, their pod system loses potency. They like quick ball with forwards running hard into spaces and at the opposition backs.
The potential drawback of outnumbering Scots at the breakdown is they then outnumber the opposition in the backs. So quick, accurate decision making is required - flood the breakdown to win or slow Scots ball, or stack the defensive line.

Gregor

Ward Prentice (10)
Good point. If Scots don't get front foot ball, their pod system loses potency. They like quick ball with forwards running hard into spaces and at the opposition backs.
The potential drawback of outnumbering Scots at the breakdown is they then outnumber the opposition in the backs. So quick, accurate decision making is required - flood the breakdown to win or slow Scots ball, or stack the defensive line.
Spot on Formerflanker. Every strategy has its strengths and risks. If View can slow the ball down at the breakdown they will not need to commit as many players to the defensive line as View will have more time to set their line up and rush the inside backs before Scots has the opportunity to spread the ball wide.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

This is true, but doing it for 70 minutes against a well-drilled, match-hardened and athletic rugby team is a lot easier said than done. And it has to be done for the whole 70 minutes, so if Riverview haven't been practising that sort of defensive game plan for at least the last 6 weeks, I suspect it will be quite difficult to suddenly implement it. Time will tell, but Scots seem to be getting better each week.

Gregor

Ward Prentice (10)
This is true, but doing it for 70 minutes against a well-drilled, match-hardened and athletic rugby team is a lot easier said than done. And it has to be done for the whole 70 minutes, so if Riverview haven't been practising that sort of defensive game plan for at least the last 6 weeks, I suspect it will be quite difficult to suddenly implement it. Time will tell, but Scots seem to be getting better each week.
I agree. It is a strategy that will only work if it has been practised and implemented for the whole game unless of course Scots are forced to change their style to counter or they get a couple of players yellow carded for consistent infringements at the breakdown.

NewMacca

Chris McKivat (8)
Todays annihilation at Bellevue Hill was actually 111-0 (15 Tries, 12 Conversions). Newington looking shaky, with key foward and captain Vuni Fiffita injured - assumably for the rest of the season. Maybe it shows lack of depth in the Newington squad, as no players were able to step up on the occasion, including 3 2nd season players: Simon Kennewell, Sepessa Loga-Tarogi and Matthew Serhon who were ordinary at best.

Check your maths Mr. Holloway 15x5 is 75 points from tries, 12x2 is 24 points from conversions, 75+24=99, 111 would be if conversions were worth 3

Status
Not open for further replies.