• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2014

Who will win...

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Riverview: why? what happened in 2nd half? any witnesses get to the Longy?
Scots would not sitback as if any coach/team would tempt fate...
i woul dlike to read a game report

BIg Jake

Frank Nicholson (4)
Mmmmm.Well the score doesn't lie.But Scots knew this time they were in a game they could easily have lost and it could be said that the yellow card and the wind tipped it.This was two great sides on the day battling it out -no walk over.I agree well done but to both sides.
Great rugby,very exciting and how about the other results!Newington coming back,Shore winning two points-GPS rugby is alive and kicking

Gregor

Ward Prentice (10)
Mmmmm.Well the score doesn't lie.But Scots knew this time they were in a game they could easily have lost and it could be said that the yellow card and the wind tipped it.This was two great sides on the day battling it out -no walk over.I agree well done but to both sides.
Great rugby,very exciting and how about the other results!Newington coming back,Shore winning two points-GPS rugby is alive and kicking
All that talk about the demise of GPS rugby last week seems a bit premature now.

Brainstrust

Watty Friend (18)
The wind made it pretty hard for both teams going into it. Riverview were fantastic in the first half with a great defensive effort and some quality attack. Scots had the better of the referees calls in the second half, yellow carding one of the locks which saw Scots score 4 tries with him off. Scots last try was from an intercept as Riverview were trying to run it with not much time left. The right score would have 24-21 to Scots. I think Scots second half effort earnt them the win, but the game was always in the balance. Given the scores Scots have been putting on sides, and all the talk that they would put 50+ on Riverview! the local boys deserve recognition for putting on such a great game of rugby for a massive crowd.

Browntrout

Frank Row (1)
Great summary
Riverview forwards really struggled in the 10 mins of yellow card with SIC no16 proving to be a huge liability in defence.

I would say crowd size was very disappointing given top of table clash perhaps the cold front or maybe the groundswell of talk to boycott the match

From a size and condition perspective it did look like a first grade side playing a schoolboy side

Jaghond

Ted Fahey (11)
Rest assured Mr Trout...........if you had been at Manly Oval yesterday, you would realize that there is a rather significant difference between Scots - or ANY GPS 1st XV side - and a SS First Grade team !

Let all of the boys enjoy their schoolboy rugby..........for what it is worth.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Rest assured Mr Trout.....if you had been at Manly Oval yesterday, you would realize that there is a rather significant difference between Scots - or ANY GPS 1st XV side - and a SS First Grade team !

Let all of the boys enjoy their schoolboy rugby....for what it is worth.

to be fair to the 2 your are talking about they were playing behind a beaten pack - well beaten: the points a good one, though

shortballking

Herbert Moran (7)
Is it possible that scots had their foot on the break in the first half? And in the second half decided to put a little more effort in to make sure they won the game? To me it looks as if they didn't want to put such a big score on riverview as it would increase the spotlight they already have on them. Thoughts?

Captain Cabby

Stan Wickham (3)
Is it possible that scots had their foot on the break in the first half? And in the second half decided to put a little more effort in to make sure they won the game? To me it looks as if they didn't want to put such a big score on riverview as it would increase the spotlight they already have on them. Thoughts?

That is the biggest load of bullshit i have heard.

Whose That Guy

Herbert Moran (7)
To be honest, it does sound like a reasonable thought. Put a sock in it mate.

What coach tells his players too loose a match, as you saw in the paper Mr Lambert says they train hard and try to execute game plans, if you're trying to tell me their game plan was to loose the first half you must be still drunk from the Waratahs win last night. Riverview played exceptional rugby and i think a bit of credit to the view lads is needed, its outrageous people are making such remarks, it's so wrong on so many fronts.

Freddo Frog

Ward Prentice (10)
I agree with you IS, I doubt the boys would have escaped the week completely unscathed by a week worth of negative press. Very unfortunate.
For anyone to suggest the boys deliberately 'played down' in the first half is insulting to all 30 players on the park.

Tah123

Herbert Moran (7)
All that talk about the demise of GPS rugby last week seems a bit premature now.

Agree - one game, or even one season, is not bigger than the game that is rugby! What will the media talk about this week?
I just think it's great that New bounced back this week and that Scots had a "not so easy" win. Who knows, this time next year we could be talking about other schools being on top - look at Cranbrook over at the CAS. That's the beauty of schoolboy rugby - it changes every year.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
It was a classic schoolboy rugby game between Shore and Kings yesterday. Both teams contained match winners and both had tactics to win the game.
The last few minutes of the first half were particularly exciting: Shore hard on attack, the 10 grubbers through, the centre gets a favourable bounce, races 20m for the try under the posts......and the ref blows him offside. Shortly after that, Kings kick a penalty and it's a 10 point turnaround.
Kings play with the wind in the second half and camp inside the Shore 22 for an eternity. Great defence from Shore and multiple raids by Kings enthuse the crowd. Full credit to the Kings captain for electing to go for tries not goals when offered several penalties in kicking range.
Shore holds on to a 19-15 lead until just before full time when a blind-side dart by their rangy 9 leads to a converted try; full time is blown, Shore 26, Kings 15.
The Kings 12 was a danger all day and the 15 bravely carried an injury during his many attacking forays. Shore's 7 inspired his team in attack and defence and the 10 organised his backs with intelligence.

Errors and Omissions Excepted!

Brainstrust

Watty Friend (18)
What coach tells his players too loose a match, as you saw in the paper Mr Lambert says they train hard and try to execute game plans, if you're trying to tell me their game plan was to loose the first half you must be still drunk from the Waratahs win last night. Riverview played exceptional rugby and i think a bit of credit to the view lads is needed, its outrageous people are making such remarks, it's so wrong on so many fronts.
I totally agree. Those that are finding reasons why Scots didnt put 100 on Riverview obviously werent at the game, and those that seem to think $cots$ took it easy are quite simply full of it. Lets be clear on this. All points were scored at one end with the wind at the sides bcks. Riverview 21 in th e1st half, and $cot$ 31 in the second half. The Riverview defense was huge in the first half forcing knock ons in contact. The last try was an intercept as Riverview were running it from their 22. So the score was really much closer than the 10 in the end. Riverview deserve some credit for being the only side this year to go with $cot$. The fact $cot$ actually got the win isnt inportant, what is that a team has shown you can put them under pressure. If View had had 15 men out there all game, maybe we would be discussing a different result this morning. GPS rugby is alive and well.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Ok.
Lets forget last week.
What about the 2 rounds before that?
Those scores are not indicative of a competition that is in a healthy state.
It really is pointless expecting people drinking from the "rah rah GPS" kool aid to engage in a sensible discussion.

Brainstrust

Watty Friend (18)
Ok.
Lets forget last week.
What about the 2 rounds before that?
Those scores are not indicative of a competition that is in a healthy state.
It really is pointless expecting people drinking from the "rah rah GPS" kool aid to engage in a sensible discussion.
You are only looking at one team. I think its been made pretty clear that scots are not playing off the same hymn sheet as every one else. Very simply you need to discount their results and focus on the competitive nature of other games. Once you get out of the scots community no one else out there has any respect for what they are doing. If scots do decide to play nicely with the other children in years to come ( doubtful) then we will once again have a comp that is well balanced across all schools, not just 5 of the 6. There is also the need for Grammar and SBH to bring their 1st XV up to a competitive standard.

Wristman

Alfred Walker (16)
I was at Lane Cove yesterday and saw a compelling game of rugby.
From the kick off Riverview played with passion and intensity and were the first team this year to have a clear and successful game plan for shutting down the Scots machine.
The Riverview backs and loose forwards were brilliant in defence picking off all the inside runners that have bamboozled oppositions in the 4 GPS games to date. They slowed the game down at every opportunity never letting Scots get in to the rhythm that is their natural game.
They retained possession for long periods starving Scots of possession and the boys from Bellevue Hill became frustrated. Mistakes crept into the Scots game and for the first time this season feeling the pressure they resorted to the boot in their own 22.
The Riverview boys grew in stature and confidence, made of the most of their chances and 3 times found the Scots line.
A 21 point lead at the break was just reward for their efforts.
The Scots faithful were frustrated and confused.....things weren't going to script.
But this was very much a game of 2 halves.
(Never was the cliche more appropriate)
Slowly after the break the tide began to turn.
Scots got the game plan back on track and after threatening for 10 minutes the breakthrough try came.
Suddenly they seemed to believe in themselves again and before long the Riverview defense that had held so strong in the first half was exposed.
Riverview had a man sent to the bin but to blame the loss of a man for the flood of tries that followed would be unfair to the individual involved.
The difference was a renewed belief and the return to the game plan that had served Scots so well to date.
Up to the final minute the game could have gone either way, the intercept at the very end delivered a score line that didn't truly reflect the closeness of the contest.
There wil be some disappointed folk in Lane Cove today but the Riverview boys should hold their heads high.
Congratulations are deserved all round.
The Riverview coaching staff succeeded in deriving a game plan that stopped the Scots machine. The boys delivered the plan with great success for 45 minutes.
The Scots coaching staff must have said all the right things at half time and the Scots boys stepped up to the challenge.
The sensationalist newspaper reports of the past week were exposed for the rubbish they were.
There was no mis match in size strength or skills. This was a very close affair.
It all adds up to a mouth watering finish to the season.
Riverview go to Bellevue Hill in round 10 knowing they have what it takes to win.
And if they can maintain their winning form against other schools could still share or win the GPS trophy.
The season is far from over and based on the other scores from yesterday nobody can take anything for granted.
GPS rugby is alive and well with competitive games across the table.

Status
Not open for further replies.