• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2014

Who will win...

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

The Big Marn

IMHO the Scots 3rds and 2nds coaches have good playing pedigrees (recent), both are teachers at the school, and have the ability to relate well to their players. Not a struck match between them in coaching ability. Would not be out of place as 1sts coaches. Both are ex-forwards, a significant plus in the development of their rugby nous.
There seems to be a school policy of promotions and injury replacements for 4ths to replace into 2nds and 3rds to move into 1sts. If so, that could account for the disparity between 3rds and 2nds.

I think the turning point appeared to be the downfall at the start of the 2nds game. The thirds had a relatively slop free game, even on a moist track. 2nds weren't so lucky. Although it does seem to have been a trend that the 3s have picked up victories where the 2s have lost i.e. Kings. Perhaps a coaching factor or the team make up. I would dispute the 4ths to 2nds, 3rds to 1sts 'policy', it has been the case one or two times due to location differences, but certainly not the case in most team changes.

S

SlamDunk69

I think the turning point appeared to be the downfall at the start of the 2nds game. The thirds had a relatively slop free game, even on a moist track. 2nds weren't so lucky. .

Big marn, I think the "turning point" was the loss of 12. Simon Johnston. There is no doubt that his "up the guts" style of play is a trademark of the 2nd XV for Scots, although i must say it has not been incredibly effective this year. As for the "slop"... Scots do not thrive in the wet but surely the loss of Max Mansfield at 2 early in the game to an eye injury would have also affected the morale of the team.

Tell that to the bureau of meteorology...

S

spirit of cupertino

Big marn, I think the "turning point" was the loss of 12. Simon Johnston. There is no doubt that his "up the guts" style of play is a trademark of the 2nd XV for Scots, although i must say it has not been incredibly effective this year. As for the "slop". Scots do not thrive in the wet but surely the loss of Max Mansfield at 2 early in the game to an eye injury would have also affected the morale of the team.

Tell that to the bureau of meteorology.

TSC 2s look their most lethal when Mansfield puts Napilla or Brown into clean space. They should modify their pod structure to achieve this as often as possible. Look out for a big change in remaining matches.

S

SlamDunk69

TSC 2s look their most lethal when Mansfield puts Napilla or Brown into clean space. They should modify their pod structure to achieve this as often as possible. Look out for a big change in remaining matches.

Agreed, mansfield is quite the ballplayer and with big boys like that running off him it could be quite a dangerous combination.

Jasdec

Ted Fahey (11)
do not take this in the wrong light but we see:
1st XV 24-22 scots
2nd XV 33-12 shore
3rd XV 30+ - 7 scots

if the shore seconds can beat scots seconds team by 21 points in the wet and the thirds scots does the same to shore is it not a bit suspicious, I find it strange how scots thirds are very competitive but the seconds haven't won a game? is it the players (stacking??) or maybe just the coaching and attitude of the 3rds?

AAGPS website shows that the previous three games played by the Scots 2nd XV were lost by 3 points.
Rd 5 Lost 17 - 20 to Riverview
Rd 6 Lost 17 - 20 to Joeys
Rd 7 Lost 17 - 14 to Kings (undefeated comp leaders)
Rd 8 Lost 33 - 14 to Shore
If they had won those three, plus the win already in the bag over Newington 34 - 7, then they would probably be 3rd on the table or around that mark. Just an unfortunate season IMHO.
Hope this sheds some light. ;)

S'UP

Bill Watson (15)
Agreed IS, the thing that gets to me these days is I get the knock-ons, I get the forward passes, but why does the ref have to set and re set a scrum after it collapses when the ball is out? Then they feel it necessary for the ref to give 2 minutes of coaching advice to the respective front rows every time it goes down... if the ball is out why cant they just let it go? Why cant they play advantage at the breakdown and use their vocal cords .... ''let it go scots , shore ball release now' at the top of their lungs rather than letting the infringing team (whomever it may be) get the ball then blowing the whistle then giving another coaching lesson, then setting two scrums then letting the game flow.... its killing the game at all levels.... venting finished back to the vino...

I agree re the scrums and the coaching by the referee, letting it go does depend on where the scrum is, you also have to consider the safety of the players in resetting. As for verbal instructions at the breakdown this should happen and in my experience does, the issue is there is always two views to each piece of play, for example play x gets his hands on the ball, the referee tells him to let it go, he does, so player x supporters are happy but team Y is yelling at you because they wanted quick ball and player X slowed it down. What do you do? You do this to many times in a game and the players just try it on and see if they can get away with it again and again and then everyone is frustrated and then you have a problem. If the right team gets the ball at the end of the day i say its all good, but unfortunately not everyone on the sideline agrees with that, so what you get is penalties

The Mole

Frank Row (1)
if the shore seconds can beat scots seconds team by 21 points in the wet and the thirds scots does the same to shore is it not a bit suspicious, I find it strange how scots thirds are very competitive but the seconds haven't won a game? is it the players (stacking??) or maybe just the coaching and attitude of the 3rds?
From my understanding, the Scots seconds have changed their team every week by at least 3-4 players but these players aren't in any crucial positions...Maybe that could be the problem? Or maybe they aren't getting enough time in the hyperbaric chamber...

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
why does the ref have to set and re set a scrum after it collapses when the ball is out? Then they feel it necessary for the ref to give 2 minutes of coaching advice to the respective front rows every time it goes down... if the ball is out why cant they just let it go?
If memory serves me correctly, refs are obliged to reset all collapsed scrums to stop those canny forwards from winning disrupted ball (on skates, going backwards) then stopping the backward movement by collapsing the scrum.
I also vaguely remember the NZ and Aus RU top brass being worried about being seen to allow collapsed scrums with consequent legal ramifications if injuries were to occur.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
If memory serves me correctly, refs are obliged to reset all collapsed scrums to stop those canny forwards from winning disrupted ball (on skates, going backwards) then stopping the backward movement by collapsing the scrum.
I also vaguely remember the NZ and Aus RU top brass being worried about being seen to allow collapsed scrums with consequent legal ramifications if injuries were to occur.

While I have you both here. surely we could forgive some coaching by the ref - they are just kids.
The qualifications of the ref to give that coaching are another matter.

Rugby from the backrow

Sydney Middleton (9)
What is the rule in GPS rugby when a player receives a straight red card ?.. Does he miss any matches ?

Similarly What is the rule on concussion?

ARU Concussion Guidance (Rugby Public) 2014
Recognise and Remove – Any player suspected or recognised with concussion must be removed from training and playing and not return to Rugby or other sport or physical activity on the same day.

It does not seem to happen re riverview /joeys game view No.9
Who's responsibility is it?
I would not like to see my son staggering about like that and not attended to

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
MICHAEL PARKINSON, ON 'ENOUGH ROPE ;
Miller's great quote when somebody asked him about pressure.

"Pressure," he said.

"I'll tell you what pressure is.

Pressure is a Messerschmitt up your arse.

Playing cricket is not."

Status
Not open for further replies.