• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2014

Who will win...

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Spotted at Hunters Hill was the $cotts 1st XV coaching staff. Dressed in casual clothes (surprising considering the salary M. Blackburn is on) with baseball caps and dark sun glasses (where was the sun???) it all failed to hide their identities and the video camera they brought with them. When confronted by a supporter they claimed they were just "rugby" supporters. Wonder what they thought of the game? The NC 15 impressed. Joeys seemed to be fielding a variety of combinations. Some soft tries leaked but nothing at this stage that indicate either school will be "world dominators".
The scots coaching staff cop a bit of stick, however will say only met that cleverly bloke, and he is a great guy ... And the rest of the blokes coaching 13s at scots, seem like really good blokes ...

Tahspark

Ted Thorn (20)
I'll give the crystal ball a rub & open the batting (& overdo the metaphors :)):

Scots v Joeys: Scots to be too strong at home with a tour of SA under their belt & impressive trial form including a 41-0 drubbing of TSS. Joeys' fans are amongst those who think that the cerise & blue have some combination/cohesion issues. Their best work might be in term 3.

Newington v Shore: Whilst I'm tipping Newington, if this turns into an arm wrestle and Shore can reproduce the staunchness of their trial form against Kings they'll give this a big shake.

Riverview v Kings: I'm going for a clean sweep by the hosts given View's stronger trial form. Whilst their set piece needs improvement, View's win over Auggies is a strong form line. If not dominant in the forwards they are likely to be in the backs. For Kings to prevail they must dominate possession, straighten and run more challenging attacking lines.

oarsome

Allen Oxlade (6)
Those who were at the NC vs. SJC game on the weekend - how did the Newington pack look? Are some of there big fellas fit?

Whose That Guy

Herbert Moran (7)
Those who were at the NC vs. SJC game on the weekend - how did the Newington pack look? Are some of there big fellas fit?

Newington have managed to pull out a fairly sizeable pack, their second rowers are tall and built, their front three are big but weather they are effective is another story, Matt Serhon did not look like a GPS player, he was getting dominated in the scrum and wasnt able to hold his own, let alone make an impact. Newingtons big gun Vuni came on late and was very effective, he played prop for Australian schools last year but they put him at 6 very interesting and me personally thought it was very effective. I would almost consider putting him at number 8, his fitness is high and work rate is very convincing.

Whose That Guy

Herbert Moran (7)
Tips:
Scots will get over the Joeys boys, but not buy much, Joeys will put on a solid performance

Shore will get over Newington, i suspect shore have the determination to start this season in different fashion to last, expecting a big game from there fly-half Dom Naylor, heard he is in tremendous form and his defence is quality for a 5/8.

Riverview will get over Kings, they will be tested early on but will come away with the points, expecting big games from Evan Pritchard as he makes his claim about getting the GPS 1XV hooker jersey, and from Beau Peterson who has been firing for the blue and white so far this year in the second row, watch out for this name this season.

F McGrath

Stan Wickham (3)
Newington have managed to pull out a fairly sizeable pack, their second rowers are tall and built, their front three are big but weather they are effective is another story, Matt Serhon did not look like a GPS player, he was getting dominated in the scrum and wasnt able to hold his own, let alone make an impact. Newingtons big gun Vuni came on late and was very effective, he played prop for Australian schools last year but they put him at 6 very interesting and me personally thought it was very effective. I would almost consider putting him at number 8, his fitness is high and work rate is very convincing.

Just wondering 'whose that guy'' if you have something personal against Matt Serhon. These comments are ridiculous.This is your 4th negative comment recently in different forums about him.
Is it just coincidental that these comments are followed by an Evan Pritchard comment, also a hooker. By all means comment on a boys skills but it isn't necessary to bag someone else in the process.

Ted S

Sydney Middleton (9)
Just wondering 'whose that guy'' if you have something personal against Matt Serhon. These comments are ridiculous.This is your 4th negative comment recently in different forums about him.
Is it just coincidental that these comments are followed by an Evan Pritchard comment, also a hooker. By all means comment on a boys skills but it isn't necessary to bag someone else in the process.

Especially considering Matt didn't play a lot of the game due to being knocked out

Whose That Guy

Herbert Moran (7)

Not at all, I'm sure the lad is a lovely bloke, I was simply stating what I saw on game day, too me someone who has been picked in GPS and NSW would be a stand out like Kennewell or Vuni, I was simply saying he didn't have the best of games and I'm sure he'll be back to his best this weekend. Saying I was bagging him on other forums is taking my comments completely out of context, we were simply posing the positives and negatives about players and all players have them, even the best of the best.

Maverick

Bob McCowan (2)
Predictions for this weekends fixtures?

Hard to know given that there have only been a few trials prior to the competition games. Some schools appear to be doing the usual foxing and staying away from any attention whilst others have missed athletes and have been trying different combinations, as you would expect in trials. All teams are likely to be dealing with some off season rustiness.

Shore seemed very determined against Kings last weekend and disrupted much of the Kings ball through their hard working forwards. That said, it is difficult to imagine them getting up over a bigger Newington team in front of their home crowd. Newington in a close one.

Riverview are the early premiership favourites and their building towards 2014 comes together with a team full of stars. Kings will need to be more direct and clinical than their brief trial form has shown. Their forwards will need to give their backs better opportunities. View's bigger forwards and speedy backs are likely to be too classy for a gritty Kings team.

Scots at home to Joeys is the match of the round. Whilst you'd be brave to ever write off Joeys, the talk about Scots sounds like they will be too good for a Joeys team that may be struggling a little with selections and combinations. Scots in a tough one.

All in all, this is looking like a season that will go down to the wire. The expectation is that any team can beat any other on their day. The teams with some depth to cover for the inevitable injuries and the ability to execute the better game plans are likely to end up on top.

Good luck to all the boys who are representing their schools with great pride. Play hard, have fun. Bring it on!

V

Vindíctam

While Scotts may have some favoritism going into this weekends game, the old adage is that you learn more from a loss than an easy win. The past two weeks have taught Joeys much in aspects that need to be addressed. While the TSC tour to Sth Africa was a success, wins over weaker teams and success in a depleted field at the 7's comp may provide Scotts with an over inflated air of confidence. It will be a great game though. Joeys have tweaked with the team again this week I have heard to add starch to the forwards.

T

The Big Show

After a short stint in early days playing for the representative team of Central West, Nick Duffy should not be written off as Joeys' power play halfback. I've done my research on him, and I expect him to at same point to debut in the 1sts team for Joeys. Well done.

Sideline Eye

Darby Loudon (17)
Especially considering Matt didn't play a lot of the game due to being knocked out
Serhon is a class player, though has had a few injury woes, and his skill and fitness will need to speak for themselves come trials and selections. I wouldn't put too much stock in these forums @F MGrath. I hope he's okay and recovers quickly from his concussion.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
It was a close game rather than a good one: a lot of simple handling errors.
14 All draw.
Grammar missing both potential captains at 8 and 10, together with 15, 11, 13 and 3.
Treated by SGS as a trial in that kick for penalty 10m out in front was passed up for a quick tap as were several earlier opportunities to kick for touch or scrum: Grammar having the better scrum and lineout.
Some real grit in the SBHS team as always. Well coached and a good understanding of what they were trying to do. A good length of the field try in the 2nd half was, however, the only time they were out of their 22 in that period - so you will get the idea that Grammar were lacking in their ability to do anything with the field position they had.
I am predicting a tough season for both when the 3rds comp kicks off.

oarsome

Allen Oxlade (6)
My picks for this weekend's first GPS Game

View to beat Kings convincingly.

Scots to win in a tight game over St. Joseph's

Shore to defeat Newington

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
While Scotts may have some favoritism going into this weekends game, the old adage is that you learn more from a loss than an easy win. The past two weeks have taught Joeys much in aspects that need to be addressed. While the TSC tour to Sth Africa was a success, wins over weaker teams and success in a depleted field at the 7's comp may provide Scotts with an over inflated air of confidence. It will be a great game though. Joeys have tweaked with the team again this week I have heard to add starch to the forwards.

Only 1 t in Scots. Perhaps put $ at the end though.

T

The Big Show

After an impressive pre-season, Sam Horowitz continues to impress on and off the field. While only playing in the 2nds at the moment, I believe Sam has the potential to play in the Scots’ gold jersey at some point later in the year. Sam Horowitz is looking more and more like his brother everyday.

Status
Not open for further replies.