• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2014

Who will win...

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Can anyone remember a whole round of one sided games in aagps?
And in the first round of a home and away season at that.
Long season ahead for 3 schools, I fear.

Donotquestion

Stan Wickham (3)
The boys from View were lethal.
Freeman showed all of us why he's a favourite for the GPS 1st team and McGregor certainly made a strong case for selection as well.

Jack Haysons ability to squeeze through tiny gaps was astonishing and the team all round was looking sharp, especially when the ball was in the hands of the backs.
Only worry for me was staying composed down the stretch, especially when camped at TKS' try line.
Looks like Scots and Riverview are the standouts, as expected, this round.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
The boys from View were lethal.
Freeman showed all of us why he's a favourite for the GPS 1st team and McGregor certainly made a strong case for selection as well.

Jack Haysons ability to squeeze through tiny gaps was astonishing and the team all round was looking sharp, especially when the ball was in the hands of the backs.
Only worry for me was staying composed down the stretch, especially when camped at TKS' try line.
Looks like Scots and Riverview are the standouts, as expected, this round.

What position is Hayson?

The Spaceman

Frank Nicholson (4)
Newington vs Shore: GPS Round 1 @ Stanmore.

The first ten to fifteen minutes were played at a very high intensity, with first blood going to Newington with big lock Tom Piroddi crashing over just to the right of the posts after some impressive phase play. Shore came back at Newington with some good running rugby, eventually awarded a penalty slotted by Harry Kemball (13). After some solid possession from Shore, a cheeky box kick by Harry Emery that rolled quickly down toward the soccer fields saw Matt Dowsett (11) outpace everyone to dive on the ball and score in the corner. 7-8 to Shore.

Newington then scored a solid try from the set piece, with Kennewell (13) instrumental in the move getting on the outside of his opposite number to set up his winger in the corner. At this stage, both teams were looking really good with ball in hand, yet Shore’s defence was more exposed than Newington’s, resulting in other try making it 19-8.

After the intital intensity of the game, both teams struggled to maintain possession, especially after some dubious penalties at the ruck from the referee. A towering Emery box kick that was poorly chased by Shore resulted in a great break from Kennewell from 60 out, only to be put shutdown by some clever defence 10 out from the Shore line. After a few dominant phases, Newington scored with winger Ball (11) in the corner, Kuenzle (10) converting to make it 26-8.

Shore maintained good possession and territory at the end of the half (which seemed like it went for 40 minutes plus) however momentum shifted quickly, with Newington easily rolling up the field. Newington inside Latu Latu (12) steamrolled the Shore fly half to score, Kuenzle conveeting to make it 33-8 at the half.

The second half was a tight, grinding affair with Shore gaining the upper hand for the most part. Shore’s hooker Oliver Stump (2), who was massive in both defence and attack, crashed over to make it 33-15. A period of quite even play followed until Shore flyhalf Dom Naylor (10) scored underneath the scoreboard after some great scrambling play to make it 33-20. With the atmosphere building, Shore were hoping for a miracle comeback that just didn’t eventuate. Newington were very strong in the outside backs, and after some consistent lead up play, Kennewell seals the deal with a try again on the edge.

Final Score Newington 40: Shore 20.

Newington:

3 points: Simon Kennewell (13)

Really stood up today, was devastating to the Shore outside back and showed good pace when in the clear. His move into the centres has worked well and is definitely a player to keep an eye out during the season.

2 points: Sepesa (15)

Dangerous from the back and linked up well with both his wingers. Ran hard and straight as u per usual.

1 point: Latu Latunipulu (12)

Provided a great offsider to Kennewell, creating an ominous centre pairing.

Shore

3 points: Harry Emery (9)

Had a solid game today and didn’t make too many mistakes, gave good service to Naylor but still looked dangerous around the ruck. In good form for higher GPS selections.

2 points: Jum Woodhill (7)

Led by example today with a great presence all round the field. Got some good steals and had a few great carries.

1 point: Oliver Stump (2)

A true blue workhorse today, especially in defense. GPS selection is on the cards if the form keeps up, definitely a larger presence than his opposite number.

At the end of the day, the match-ups in the centres and out wide were just too great in Newington’s favour. If Shore are to win anymore games this season, their centre pairing and outside combinations need to be looked at as whilst they are greatly skilled and brave players, they were plain and simply outmuscled and outpaced today by the larger Newington centres.

Promising signs for both sides this round, with room for improvement heading into round 2.

F

fireball

Joeys result is just not acceptable. For a proud school with strong sides in lower grades it is not good enough. Scots were always going be stronger but not nine tries to one. I don't think anyone could seriously argue that is the best 15 joeys can put on the park.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Can anyone remember a whole round of one sided games in aagps?
And in the first round of a home and away season at that.
Long season ahead for 3 schools, I fear.

No I can't.

As an aside, I couldn't help but notice that in the higher age groups Kings have more rugby teams that soccer, but in 13s and 14s more soccer than rugby. 13s TKS go down to 13E rugby and 13H soccer, not a good sign for the AAGPS rugby competition.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
No I can't.

As an aside, I couldn't help but notice that in the higher age groups Kings have more rugby teams that soccer, but in 13s and 14s more soccer than rugby. 13s TKS go down to 13E rugby and 13H soccer, not a good sign for the AAGPS rugby competition.

TKS go to 10ths in rugby and soccer.
I don't think there is room for complacency as to the health of GPS rugby: those are some big scores today.

V

Vindíctam

Joeys result is just not acceptable. For a proud school with strong sides in lower grades it is not good enough. Scots were always going be stronger but not nine tries to one. I don't think anyone could seriously argue that is the best 15 joeys can put on the park.

Spoke to a Joeys coach who conceded there is a lot of work to do as he was unhappy with the commitment of some players who threw in the towel. In my opinion it may be another year were Joeys have two awesome 2nd XV's with one playing in the 1st XV grade.

aka_the_think

Jimmy Flynn (14)
TKS go to 10ths in rugby and soccer.
I don't think there is room for complacency as to the health of GPS rugby.

Riverview go down to the 10ths in Soccer and 11ths in Rugby. They also field two (maybe 3) u18 AFL teams and 3 Volleyball teams. The introduction of an official socials soccer competition has seen Rugby numbers decrease a little.

I thought that this evening's game was a strong showing from Riverview, but there's still room for improvement. The scoreline probably doesn't reflect Kings' contributions, particularly in the first 15 minutes, when they put serious pressure on Riverview. Where Kings struggled was in defence, while Riverview seemed to enjoy their tacklings.

It's also worth noting that Kings were without James Kane, who, in my opinion, would have made the scoreline far more respectable for the Parramatta boys.

Hayson, McGregor, Freeman, McBryde (#11) and Pritchard were excellent, with Hutcho and Hurley bagging meat twice, and thrice, respectively. A few Kings' players put up their hands - #6 was tenacious and their #12 ran some good lines at times, and was unlucky not to score a try at one point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom