• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2014

Who will win...

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

moleboy

Frank Row (1)
Right, here's the 411. My opinion for the season.

Kings:
Following the recent injury of first choice fly half George Phillip, the team may be a bit disrupted leading into round 1. This was shown with the team a little disrupted against Shore. The big man leading from the front, George Lehman, and big Jim Lee will provide some grunt to get past the gain line. However in typical Kings form, they will be riddled with injuries.

Riverview:
Yes... Riverview's current year 12's have always been the strong team of the age group, namely, a few undefeated/close to season through 13's - 15's, but I really don't see what all the hype's about. They seem to rely heavily on their stars, Hutchinson, Bowditch, Freeman, hopefully these guys can pull the cat out of the bag for the team. I've heard some chit chat through the grape vine about Jack Dempsey's younger brother, Will, coming into form recently. He seems to have some history playing in big matches for gordon, in his younger years. Can anyone confirm these allegations? It would be great to see these boys have a good crack this year, they have under performed in recent times.

Shore:
About time these boys had a win hey!! Some old faithfuls in the squad, looking at Woodhill, Wrench and Preece. Shame about stand out scrum half, Harry Emery, got the glange. That'll teach him! Shore have lacked depth in the past, with a few good lads coming up from the younger years, hopefully this can change.

Scots:
The boys on the hill will be fired up early on with the "press" that they copped at the end of last season. You have to give it to them for bouncing back, putting on a good show for the saffas. A few boys backing up from last season - Styles, Rudolf, Crichton, Porter, to name a few. Seems to be a good team cohesion formed due to the tour, which will be hard to split.

Joeys:
Looking forward to seeing these boys have a crack at Scots, bouncing back after the disappointment last week. Travers in the half position will be able to provide a bit of spark. Joeys have seemed to be a big topic on GGR, but i haven't heard anything about Timmy Bithers. Is it true that he moved in this year? He had a killer season in South Australia last year, and is looking to pursue his rugby in the big smoke. Joeys will do well if he's in the pack. Fun fact - he squats upwards of 130kg, regularly.

Newington:
I assumed that the Newington boys would be a little under weight this year with some of their 2013 stars, pursuing their NRL careers. I was surprised that were able to bag some meat against the joe boysDon't know of any key players over here, besides big Tyrone, the 110kg 15 year old.

moleboy out

Ricky Bobby

Frank Row (1)
You are too right about Jack Maddocks, but he is playing 3rd XV this year. Scots will be a threat, but im really looking forward to see how SBHS are going. Apparently they were looking flash agianst Grammar..

Predictions:

1st. SBHS, Got a very good N.o 9/10 combination. N.o 8 looked very tough and hard to tackle in trial.
2nd. Scots, Showaan Bajapai, Aidan Brown and Jack Maddocks all ex 1st XV reps. Will be hard to stop.
3rd. Joeys, Always tough, can be unpredictable.. Not sure if they will be as good at the start of the season.
4th. Riverview, Did have good trial form, but the long season will test the depth of the 3rd XV
5th. Armidale, Too much farming not enough footy, not sure if there even was a pre season in Armidale
6th. Kings, Could be the dark horse team of the competition, not much is know. N.o 9 has a nifty pass apaz.
7th. Grammar, this years HSC will be a huge distraction, rumours are they have had a big pre season
8th. Newington, No big boys in this team.. Will struggle, and can't see any results going there way, may push Shore
9th. Shore, depth for Shore is a massive issue. Always an excuse by the end, so i put them last.

I think you'll find that the Riverview 3rd XV played Scots 3rd XV last weekend and won 26-17

aka_the_think

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Right, here's the 411. My opinion for the season.

I've heard some chit chat through the grape vine about Jack Dempsey's younger brother, Will, coming into form recently. He seems to have some history playing in big matches for gordon, in his younger years. Can anyone confirm these allegations? It would be great to see these boys have a good crack this year, they have under performed in recent times.

They're cousins, not brothers, but he did player Gordon for a bit. He isn't a bad player, but he isn't currently in the Riverview 1sts or 2nds - time will tell though.

DragonMan

Jimmy Flynn (14)
You are too right about Jack Maddocks, but he is playing 3rd XV this year. Scots will be a threat, but im really looking forward to see how SBHS are going. Apparently they were looking flash agianst Grammar..

Predictions:

1st. SBHS, Got a very good N.o 9/10 combination. N.o 8 looked very tough and hard to tackle in trial.
2nd. Scots, Showaan Bajapai, Aidan Brown and Jack Maddocks all ex 1st XV reps. Will be hard to stop.
3rd. Joeys, Always tough, can be unpredictable.. Not sure if they will be as good at the start of the season.
4th. Riverview, Did have good trial form, but the long season will test the depth of the 3rd XV
5th. Armidale, Too much farming not enough footy, not sure if there even was a pre season in Armidale
6th. Kings, Could be the dark horse team of the competition, not much is know. N.o 9 has a nifty pass apaz.
7th. Grammar, this years HSC will be a huge distraction, rumours are they have had a big pre season
8th. Newington, No big boys in this team.. Will struggle, and can't see any results going there way, may push Shore
9th. Shore, depth for Shore is a massive issue. Always an excuse by the end, so i put them last.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Is anybody going to Newington v Shore?

We don't have a writer for this game; so if you are going please write a post about the game like you are doing a mini-match report.

It could be used, with your permission, as a backpage add-on in the GPS blog.

Thanks
LG

Peej

Allen Oxlade (6)
Whilst I do support Riverview all the talk of how dominant they may be makes me nervous and I think of that Kings 1st XV of 2008 which was meant to be all conquering and while they did tie the premiership and had half the team make Aus schoolboys, they lost to Riverview which had no NSW reps in the GPS rounds after beating them by 50 in the trials.

Champion team will beat a team of champions

Jim Belshaw

Bob Loudon (25)

Predictions:

As, I guess, one of the main TAS watchers on this forum, I have no idea how the boys will go. I watched the TAS team in the Scots Sevens; the firsts were beaten by Farrer; they haven't had a lot of pre-season games, although a number of the boys have had rep experience. TAS is involved in different rep streams to the Sydney schools. My feeling for what it's worth is that the team is not as strong, that it will start slow and gather strength. TAS tends to do that. I will watch and report as I did last year.

As an increasingly old old boy (!), my main hope is that the boys do their best and, most importantly, have fun. As I have done for the last few years, I will cheer for SBHS and SGS along with TAS. If SBHS or SGS came first, I wouldn't be unhappy so long as TAS did its best. SGS was a bit unlucky last year, while a SBHS win give me considerable pleasure. If mt biases aren't already clear, go the minnows!

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Well said @Jimbo. A true Corinthian believer. Rugby is the winner.

Hope you get to see your wish, with boys trying their hardest, and having fun, enjoying their rugby with their mates, and their opponents.

The Spaceman

Frank Nicholson (4)
2nd XV: Shore 19- Newington 12.

Great game of rugby with only a magical try from Shore fullback Nathan Corbett separating the teams. Contender to be try of the year in the 2nd comp.

V

Vindíctam

Blood bath at Bellevue. Scotts too good. Biggest win against Joeys in recent memory.

Full time 53-7.

Johnny come lately

Jimmy Flynn (14)
That is an unbelievable result for Joeys. Unbelievable.

On first glance it seems Joeys lost 3 games across all age groups and all grades, 13f thru 1st XV today against Scots and other schools.

Joeys open rugby 2nd XV and down were not troubled by one scots team.

So.
How do scots firsts so comprehensively dismantle the joeys firsts?

Joeys obviously has a lot of depth which scots does not. And yet the result...

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
That is an unbelievable result for Joeys. Unbelievable.

On first glance it seems Joeys lost 3 games across all age groups and all grades, 13f thru 1st XV today against Scots and other schools.

Joeys open rugby 2nd XV and down were not troubled by one scots team.

So.
How do scots firsts so comprehensively dismantle the joeys firsts?

Joeys obviously has a lot of depth which scots does not. And yet the result.

You may need to visit the other thread to get some anwers to those questions;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom