• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2014

Who will win...

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

whiteshape

Frank Row (1)
Are there any playing this year you think would push for selection?

Back to the social team racking up i believe 4 or 5 tries against the high firsts? There was a little utility player pilfering at a GPS 3rd grade level at least. Too bad the ref wasn't good enough to pick it up most of the time. I also heard the big back for Grammar socials is the best half asian in the GPS. Finally I also saw no.8 (usually) digby play and oh what a (big)show! you can really see the Randwick cults paying off in bags of confidence and experience! i

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Back to the social team racking up i believe 4 or 5 tries against the high firsts? There was a little utility player pilfering at a GPS 3rd grade level at least. Too bad the ref wasn't good enough to pick it up most of the time. I also heard the big back for Grammar socials is the best half asian in the GPS. Finally I also saw no.8 (usually) digby play and oh what a (big)show! you can really see the Randwick cults paying off in bags of confidence and experience! i

You've got school tomorrow:p

NewMacca

Chris McKivat (8)
For all those predicting Newington to struggle this year, don't count your chickens before they hatch, New had next to no preparation for the game against Knox and were missing a few key players that included, but were not limited to, Sepesa, Kennewell and Vuni.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
You may well be right Newmacca. The obvious issues that they are going to confront are:

1sts - most of the team finished Year 12 2013
2nds 6th of 6 in 2013
3rds 10th of 10 in 2013
16As - not sure where they finished but New, Shore and View all struggled against Kings, Scots and Joeys

If they are using the same players that played 2nds, 16As and 3rds, plus a few left over from last year's 1sts, it will be a mighty coaching effort. Your 1sts of the last 2 years didn't change that much from 2012-2013, so this would have to be a rebuilding year (I assume) and the player base on 2013 results would indicate a lack of depth.

lineoutjumper

Stan Wickham (3)
After an after the siren win against a strong Cranbrook side last week, shores 1st XV will be looking for 3 in a row to polish off there pre-preseason games against Barker

SHORE 1stXV V Barker
1. Oil Stump (1stXV)
2. Jake Hedge (15A)
3. Lawson Muir (1stXV)
4. James Doyle (16A)
5. Paddy Olver (1stXV)
6. Henry Wrench (1stXV)
7. Jum Woodhill (1stXV)
8. Nathan Lucas (1stXV)
9. Harry Emery (1stXV)
10. Dom Naylor (2ndXV)
11. Jock Armstrong (16A)
12. Charlie King (1stXV)
13. Toby Cooke (1stXV)
14. Ollie Pridham (3rdXV)
15. Ollie Cowley (16A)

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
The Grammar tour to Perth not only includes a curtain raiser to the Force v Tahs game against Christ Church Grammar at NIB stadium but the u16s squad will play the U15s WA JGC team and the Opens squad will play the U17 WA JGC team - who won the JGC.
It will be interesting to compare the standards.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
It is good that some of the JGC "franchises" are having a life beyong the JGC. That can only improve the skills of those boys. I can't see this happening with any of the Sydney JGC teams though.

I believe that you have seen some of the JGC games over the summer. Have you seen Grammar play yet?

There is talk of some Tens tournament above but haven't seen/heard any other info on Grammar pre-season trials. Tens is not always good preparation, as players are often played out of position, and it is a sprint event not a 70 minute marathon.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
It is good that some of the JGC "franchises" are having a life beyong the JGC. That can only improve the skills of those boys. I can't see this happening with any of the Sydney JGC teams though.

I believe that you have seen some of the JGC games over the summer. Have you seen Grammar play yet?

There is talk of some Tens tournament above but haven't seen/heard any other info on Grammar pre-season trials. Tens is not always good preparation, as players are often played out of position, and it is a sprint event not a 70 minute marathon.

i saw the 10s on the weekend - not a very good guide in my view: to much open space for sea gulling back rowers.
I think the team will be better than last year.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^ Who looks sharper - High or Grammar?
@Jimbo seems pretty happy with where TAS are at the moment, given their performances in the Scots 7's and the TAS lads performances in the JGC in the "off season".

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
^^^ Who looks sharper - High or Grammar?
@Jimbo seems pretty happy with where TAS are at the moment, given their performances in the Scots 7's and the TAS lads performances in the JGC in the "off season".

someone was saying the high team in the 10s was all year 11 and no athletes - on that basis I would say too early to tell but i thought Grammar were markedly superior on that day.
My issue with judging the TAS boys on JGC is not knowing where the JGC fits - that's why playing the winning team on Monday will be interesting: if its close or Grammar win then JGC has some explaining and justifying to do, as i see it, but I have no idea what to expect.
Rest assured I shall report my findings by one means or another!

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Presumably Grammar were similarly as athletically deprived as High was.

Level playing field I would have thought for the Tens Tourney, but I acknowledge that the returning Athletes may have a different impact on the respective schools 1st XVs.

The WA boys at the U16 Nationals last year had some decent players, but I felt that they were raw and lacking depth across the squad. I would imagine they would be the majority of the WA U17 JGC team. 5 months of JGC training would have polished some of that rawness out of them, as well as created some depth in the squad. If so, Grammar may be in for a spirited game.

How many Year 12's in the Grammar touring party? Some big ugly angry 18 year olds may give Grammar an edge over the WA 17 year olds.

sarcophilus

Charlie Fox (21)
when travelling in Thailand or Cambodia you frequently pass open bars with kick boxing rings. outside is posted the line up of matches by weight. usually a local champion and some representative of a western country. It seems like shopping for clothes the size grading is possibly similar within the sides they represent but the cross regional scaling seems to be significantly different.

Though there has been some criticism of withdrawals from the NGC squads by members of some schools, it is noticed that a lot of players that did remain are playing at reasonable levels (1st or 2nd XV or u/18) at their respective schools, The WA u17 team were deserved and convincing winners of this contest and I would assume they are similarly equipped to compete at 1st or 2nd XV, 1st division level of which ever of the conferences you like GPS CAS or ISA.

I expect, though would like to be wrong, that as well as daylight there may even be place for a third between the WA u/17 NGC and SGS teams

NewMacca

Chris McKivat (8)
You may well be right Newmacca. The obvious issues that they are going to confront are:

1sts - most of the team finished Year 12 2013
2nds 6th of 6 in 2013
3rds 10th of 10 in 2013
16As - not sure where they finished but New, Shore and View all struggled against Kings, Scots and Joeys

If they are using the same players that played 2nds, 16As and 3rds, plus a few left over from last year's 1sts, it will be a mighty coaching effort. Your 1sts of the last 2 years didn't change that much from 2012-2013, so this would have to be a rebuilding year (I assume) and the player base on 2013 results would indicate a lack of depth.

You are right about the lack of depth last year QH, which was shown through fielding 5 opens teams as opposed to the 10 and above that some of the other schools possessed. However both the 2nds and the 3rds had promising starts only to be brought down through a number of injuries and other absentees, whilst the 16As had less depth than the opens had missed a number of players who were promoted to opens. This will most likely be a rebuilding year, as you say, but write the the New Boys off at your own peril.

NM

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
What is the definition of a promising start,when a team is winless for the year?
Talking about the 16's that played up,does not suit your argument as we all know how they arrived at the School.
How do you rebuild if every team in the School is being flogged?

NewMacca

Chris McKivat (8)
What is the definition of a promising start,when a team is winless for the year?
Talking about the 16's that played up,does not suit your argument as we all know how they arrived at the School.
How do you rebuild if every team in the School is being flogged?

Both of the thirds first two games were narrow losses, after this injuries took their tole and they went to pieces. In the seconds case, they were first at the July brake and injuries and movements between teams saw them remain winless in the second half of the season. Maybe I was wrong with the thirds having a promising start but they did not look like a 0-10 side, but the seconds definitely did have a promising start. I am not sure what you mean about how 16s players playing up does not suit my argument "as we all know how they arrived at the school" because I know of one player, Campbell Clifford, who was playing 7 for the seconds at the start of the season but was injured in the firsts game against St Ignatius (?), who started at Newington in year 7. Also as we are talking about the 1sts, they have not been "flogged" since 2009 and the idea of rebuilding is taking a team that has lost a number of start players recently (i.e. Moeroa, Milne, Lussick, Abrahams, Cannell, Morris etc.) and building a new team around some of the more experienced players (Serhon, Vuni etc.). Also not "every team in the school" is being flogged.

Status
Not open for further replies.