• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2014

Who will win...

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rugby Mum 2

Bill Watson (15)
Re joeys v oakhill. Yes oakhill was the better side on the day but there is a lot of improvement in joeys. As one keen observer said between the firsts and seconds there is a strong xv. Joeys lacked speed and finishing power out wide and there need to be some changes to the pack. An earlier post mentioned Phillips, grant, Margan as likely promotions I'd add jake finanne to that too he needs to be in the firsts front row.

Why change when it was the first real hit out with a team with 7 "new" players who are considered best in their respective positions. Let's see how they perform vs Newington - who will also be testing combinations (like all other GPS schools). I will concede that Grant on wing may provide a bit of X factor - he is small but elusive.

It is a long season so there will be lots of movement due to injury/sickness etc.

anonymous_

Frank Nicholson (4)
Wow , the much trumpeted joeys group (with athletes on deck), only just snuck home .. While the 2nds put on 70 points .

.. Might be some selection issues that need to be sorted out .. And quickly as round 1 versus scots, is only 2 weeks away

Any suggestions, lee grant, (?) on 2nds players who might be pushing for a promotion

Altgh LG doesn't tend to depart from the house view . Presumably as a known man

In junior gps news:

One to watch this year from scots is charlie savala . Scots play this 14a v 15a trial , and charlie was very strong in midfield .
. And could easily play up an age group based on that performance

Scots might be able to turn the tables on a strong newington 14as in 2014

In the main game: Looks like riverview firming as favorites for 2014, imho

I agree Savala he looked great in the 2 games I saw him last year, for mine he passes to much and should run more himself.

As for Newington 14As they had a good hit out against St Pats at the beautiful Rushcutters Bay. 5 tries to nil win, the three back athlete's all scored tries.

They have lost 2 forwards from last year Harry Dickens (jackal) is playing up and a a Tongan lad prop (cant spell his name) who has left the school.

They have picked a big stong centre as well.

For mine Will Serhorn was strong and stole lots of ball for a front rower. the backs looked real good with the limited opportunities the forwards gave them. Hope the coach unleashes the backs more this year.

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Anyone know whom and where View is playing on Sat May 31st please? Trying to fit that in with taking my English wife to Vivid Sydney for that weekend! (Suggestions as to best spot to watch it welcome too!)

Tahspark

Ted Thorn (20)
Anyone know whom and where View is playing on Sat May 31st please? Trying to fit that in with taking my English wife to Vivid Sydney for that weekend! (Suggestions as to best spot to watch it welcome too!)

Good timing, Nusadan. 31 May is the 1st round of the GPS comp.

Riverview will be playing Kings at home on that day.

The other match ups in Rd 1 are:

Scots at home v Joeys
Newington at home v Shore

Enjoy.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Some issues for the authorities at High to sort out if the player/coach behaviour problems from the Pius v High games on the ISA thread are correct.

forwards4ever

Jimmy Flynn (14)

Vivid is best seen by walking all round the harbor foreshore in from the Opera House to around past the Rocks. Enjoy.

H

harrysboy

So this weekend's trials (J v N, I v S, E v K) should be the first real indicator as to how each school's 1st XV, 2nd XV and 3rd XV (incl. G v H) are really travelling. I expect that most teams are largely settled, even though there will still be changes due to injuries and the ongoing effort by coaches to view 'fringe' players, but this should be the first real guide as to how the favourites and next nearest shape up. Of special interest will be View vs. Scots; possibly the first and second favourites for the 2014 premiership.

Tahspark

Ted Thorn (20)
So this weekend's trials (J v N, I v S, E v K) should be the first real indicator as to how each school's 1st XV, 2nd XV and 3rd XV (incl. G v H) are really travelling. I expect that most teams are largely settled, even though there will still be changes due to injuries and the ongoing effort by coaches to view 'fringe' players, but this should be the first real guide as to how the favourites and next nearest shape up. Of special interest will be View vs. Scots; possibly the first and second favourites for the 2014 premiership.

The View v Scots trial is not proceeding. However, to the best of my knowledge, the Joeys v Newington and Shore v Kings trials are.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
(incl. G v H)

Who play at Weigall.
However, Grammar have apparently lost their captain #8, their loose head, their 13 and their stand in 10 from last week. Starting 10 still out.
Depth will be seriously tested very early to say nothing of the view of non-rubgy parents as to the barbarism of the sport.

Maverick

Bob McCowan (2)
Depth will be seriously tested very early to say nothing of the view of non-rugby parents as to the barbarism of the sport.[/quote]

That's a tough start for the SGS boys!

blastblastbronco

Frank Nicholson (4)
Who play at Weigall.
However, Grammar have apparently lost their captain #8, their loose head, their 13 and their stand in 10 from last week. Starting 10 still out.
Depth will be seriously tested very early to say nothing of the view of non-rubgy parents as to the barbarism of the sport.
first choice fullback out and winger listed to play last weekend also out

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
That's disappointing as View vs. Scots was going to be the match of the trials!

Yes ... Scots 1sts and 2nds are showing a "TBC" re fixtures ... 3rds and below still against view. Curious to know what happened there?

Interesting that Scots have Hendrie on the wing ... wasn't he a second rower last year! Might make for an interesting match up against some of the smaller wingers going around.

S

spirit of cupertino

If you thnk about it, it makes sense because 3rds and below only have their 6 rounds, and so need the trials.
What beats me is that the ARU can't put some money back into the system by organising trials for GPS sides against some country teams. Let them stay at Rugby Lane in the city, or nearby at the CWA. Who wouldn't like to see View v Dunedoo?

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
If you thnk about it, it makes sense because 3rds and below only have their 6 rounds, and so need the trials.
What beats me is that the ARU can't put some money back into the system by organising trials for GPS sides against some country teams. Let them stay at Rugby Lane in the city, or nearby at the CWA. Who wouldn't like to see View v Dunedoo?

Without being cynical, what money? The levy that Servo wants to put onto village Rugby can't afford this. It is a way too hard basket.

S

spirit of cupertino

Good point, Westlake. It is the money the clubs won't be paying, because the ARU can't afford a 2-bit lawyer to challenge anyone else who wants to take the lead. I am sure that if we approached Toyota and GMH directly, without the likes of the ARU sniffing arround we could get enough readdies to bring in some teams from Galargenbone to Mangrove Mountain to put on some decent trial games for the GPS teams. Who wants to see GPS teams sandbagging before the real matches begin anyway? Isn't that just the trap that View fell into last year, and only rectified after their famous win over Joeys?

Status
Not open for further replies.