• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2014

Who will win...

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ruggasXV

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Actually 1980 was closer - top 6 teams within 4 pts - also New from first to last in one year demonstrates how serendipitous life was then. This was unfortunately the last year before the arms race started to get serious - but that is for another forum.
View attachment 4859

Brisbane Grammar School went from first to last 2012-2013 in the Queensland GPS competition, so the serendipity is still lingering.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
http://www.nswschoolsrugby.rugbynet.com.au/default.asp?id=206331

Under 18 Schoolboy Trials

GPS White is apparently GPS North
GPS Blue is apparently GPS South

Presume that these are after the GPS 1 and GPS 2 lads have been withdrawn from the player pool.

What is GPS North/South ?
Is North = Kings, Joeys, View, Shore, TAS
Is South = Grammar, High, Scots, New

Assuming that Geography is the same in the AAGPS as it is everywhere else, that would have to be the make up.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I think 2006 was the last time the entire comp was together. I remember the enormous scorelines against SBH, 2012 was the last for SGS. 08/09 id say would of been the last closely fought comp overall with no blowouts.

Anybody know what state St Greg's rugby is in at the moment? I recall their 1sts filling in against GPS 2nds teams during the SBH round and they were extremely talented producing players like Nic White

2007 was the last year all 8 schools played 1sy XV. That was the year of the 100 plus scores against High.

Those old results make interesting reading. Grammar seemed to outperform both New and Scots in the mid 00s.

http://www.aagps.nsw.edu.au/

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Assuming that Geography is the same in the AAGPS as it is everywhere else, that would have to be the make up.

If so, then after the first choice GPS 1 and 2 are removed from the "gene pool",IMHO GPS South would not be all that strong relatively speaking, and it would nbe a difficult trial game for the selectors to ascertain the relative merits of the lads especially when they are trying to compare their performances to the "chosen ones" in GPS 1's and GPS 2's.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
If so then after the first choice GPS 1 and 2 are removed from the "gene pool",IMHO GPS South would not be all that strong relatively speaking, and it would nbe a difficult trial game for the selectors to ascertain the relative merits of the lads especially when they are trying to compare their performances to the "chosen ones" in GPS 1's and GPS 2's.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
If so then after the first choice GPS 1 and 2 are removed from the "gene pool",IMHO GPS South would not be all that strong relatively speaking, and it would nbe a difficult trial game for the selectors to ascertain the relative merits of the lads especially when they are trying to compare their performances to the "chosen ones" in GPS 1's and GPS 2's.

Well you'd expect most if not all of the Scots boys to make GPS 1 or 2 and some of the New boys. Leaving some room for some derserving boys from Grammar or High to have a chance, plus the balance of New as well.

Assuming of course that there is a north/south demarcation and not simply 2 teams of equal ability picked.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
With the deserving lads from High and Grammar and some from NEW taking on the "leftovers" from Shore, Joeys, Kings and Riverview. I'd be surprised if GPS South lads get a chance to showcase their attack skills in front of the Selectors.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
With the deserving lads from High and Grammar and some from NEW taking on the "leftovers" from Shore, Joeys, Kings and Riverview. I'd be surprised if GPS South lads get a chance to showcase their attack skills in front of the Selectors.

Well, most if not all of the Riverview team and a good portion of the Joeys team will also be involved in GPS 1 and 2. Certainly in theory the Leftovers from the north appear stronger than the leftovers from the south, but funny things can happen on a rugby field which don't always follow the theory. They might also use some geographical licence and put TAS in with the southern grouping to even things a bit.

I wouldn't take anything for granted when boys with some ability and a bit of heart get an opportunity to impress.

Think About Rugby

Allen Oxlade (6)

So are you saying it is all just a sham? I was pleased to hear this may have been an attempt to help players and the game. I am interpreting our moderator as giving us the heads up nothing has changed. The blackest days may still be ahead of us.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Just saying that choosing North and South Teams for GPS Blue and White may not result in a very balanced trial scenario.

I don't think that there is any agenda here from the selectors to promote one group at the exclusion of others.

The actual game results matter little in reality. These games are held for the specific purpose of selecting the NSW Schools teams to contest the National Championships. Many people forget that in the enthusiasm to support a team from their association, and to obtain some form of vicarious bragging rights.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
No it was a reference to his first degree form otago,MB B Ch I think it is.
Just saying that choosing North and South Teams for GPS Blue and White may not result in a very balanced trial scenario.

I don't think that there is any agenda here from the selectors to promote one group at the exclusion of others.

The actual game results matter little in reality. These games are held for the specific purpose of selecting the NSW Schools teams to contest the National Championships. Many people forget that in the enthusiasm to support a team from their association, and to obtain some form of vicarious bragging rights.
my take HJ was that they needed another team for the former GPS 3rds to play given the demise of CAS 3rds and some of the other systems u18 sides.
But that's all supposition on my part.

ruggasXV

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Video of South African Tour.... what a great opportunity for any team... given the results pre season a great tour for the team... looks like much more was gained off the field than on......

Those scenes with the young children being coached by the Scots boys reminds me a lot of the film Invictus. Props to the young men from TSC.

Status
Not open for further replies.