• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2015

Who will win GPS 2015?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beard

Allen Oxlade (6)
Joeys up 21-0 at halftime... tough half Kings playing well ... a bit of a body count on both sides

Jim Belshaw

Bob Loudon (25)
Beautiful day at Scots. As you might expect with Scots playing elsewhere, crowd small – 2-1 TAS. Scots hospitality good. Again comments on the appetites of TAS and its supporters. Country Air, you know.

TAS 2nds were playing Scots 5ths. It was such a nice day that I decided to leave the car at home and go by the combination of public transport and foot. Bad error of judgment, although no doubt good for my health, for I missed the start of the TAS seconds match As I walked on the higher ground coming in, I saw over the fence an absolute bottler of a TAS backline try. Number 15 set it up, but then instead of going himself, flicked the pass to the wing.

Scoreboard showed 7-7 when I entered the ground. It showed the same score at the end, so I actually I have no idea of the final score. Straight after entering I saw another TAS try, then came half time, followed by four more TAS tries with beautiful running rugby. A confused Scots’ parent behind me thought Scots was playing Shore and wondered at the strength of the TAS side! Proud of TAS 2nds ( my old team). Scots played with courage, they never gave up, but the difference was just too great. That TAS backline is fast.

Full of hope if uncertainty, I waited for the main game. TAS firsts were in a huddle some distance from the field as the combined TAS teams formed the tunnel. A TAS parent made the comment that this was their last match as a team, and they were trying to hype themselves up. I had forgotten that. The boys cheered their team onto the field with an enthusiasm that brought shiny eyes to this aging codger!

TAS started strongly, pressing hard, with Scots fighting back. Then at the 13th minute, there was an intercept and a runaway TAS try by, I think, the no 13. This was converted: TAS 7, Scots 0. Then just before half-time, constant Scots pressure resulted in a Scots converted try. Half time score 7-7.

From the start of the second half, Scots pressed, resulting in an unconverted try six minutes in. TAS fought back scoring an unconverted try to equalise. Scots then had a chance to equalise from a penalty, but missed. TAS counterattacked desperately and came close to scoring. End score 12-12.

TAS could have won this game. It had the majority of possession and field position for extended periods. The Sots backs always looked dangerous, the Scots forwards did a pretty good job, but TAS gave away to many penalties and failed to pick up on its opportunities and to use its speed and power. The backs in particular were still standing too far back. There were to many long passes, some quite exposed to intercepts, with too many receivers having to stand still and then try to dodge.

A draw was a fair result.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Kings were down 28- Nil ... and it was the Joeys # 14's (Yiribi) day ... I think he bagged 3 tries ... all pretty spectacular

he was stepping, weaving, out-pacing the entire Kings backline, and pulling in a cross-field kick

Full credit to Kings ... they never gave up.... despite Joeys putting on a master-class.

They came back to be within 11 points... at one stage

... it would of have been narrower if Kings' goal kicking was on-song.

Either way, to score 24-7, against Joeys in the last 30 minutes was testament to their character

few bad injuries ... with Joeys 7 leaving field with leg injury, Kings 8 similarly

and Joeys 11 with a bad head knock

that Joeys field and that crowd ... truly magnificent

again rugby was the winner ... and Kings if they play with that spirit, at home, against Scots , in the last round ... they could yet return the title to Newington

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Very enjoyable afternoon up at Hunters Hill.

Only one way to describe Joeys 3rds - impressive, very impressive. 76-0 victory against a Kings side that never gave up despite Joeys being bigger, faster and more skilful. That Joeys 3rds side were good from 1-15 and would beat most schools seconds teams (including their own I suspect) and would also give a few 1sts teams some trouble (across the 3 associations). I should add that Joeys played the last 20 minutes with 13 players - they took players off as the score mounted in some sort of unofficial mercy rule and still dominated.

The seconds was the best match of the afternoon as both sides ran the ball from everywhere and the lead changed throughout. At one point it looked as though goal-kicking was going to win it for Joeys, but Kings held a 22-21 lead for the last 10 minutes before scoring on the bell to win 27-21 (or 29-21 - didn't see if the conversion went over). Kings fullback best on the field for me, scored 2 tries and set up another one and always troubled the Joeys defence as well as being rock solid in defence.

In the firsts, Kings dominated the first 20 minutes in terms of territory and possession, but were unable to score. Much of this time was spent camped in the Joeys 22, but some magnificent goal-line defence from Joeys and some one dimensional attack from Kings had the score at 0-0. From their first real possession, Joeys scored a long range try and followed it up with another try from the kick-off to race to a 14-0 lead. Another try just on half-time saw Joeys lead 21-0 at oranges. An opportunist try just after the break saw it 28-0 to Joeys and it seemed that the floodgates were about to open. However, Kings suddenly sparked to life and three tries saw it 28-17; another match in which Kings seemed to find it difficult to convert tries. The game then entered a bit of a scrappy phase and Joeys scored a brilliant try which ended in a cross kick to the winger - Joeys 35-17. In keeping with the afternoon, Kings scored right on the bell to make in 35-24 full time. Kings will no doubt rue the first 20 minutes when they could not score with all that possession. Well done both teams on a high quality game of rugby.

Status
Not open for further replies.