• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2015

Who will win GPS 2015?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brainstrust

Watty Friend (18)
^^^ Stannies beat View last year as well. Something about snow and freezing temperatures.
Recent GPS trial results are fairly meaningless due to athletes being unavailable. It would be the same for most of the schools but I have been told that Riverview were missing 7 or 8 today. I guess these trials probably give the respective coaches a chance to look at the depth and see what lies beneath, important for planning in case of injury but pretty irrelevant in terms results. Form after the GPS aths will be a much better indicator.

Rugby from the backrow

Sydney Middleton (9)
Recent GPS trial results are fairly meaningless due to athletes being unavailable. It would be the same for most of the schools but I have been told that Riverview were missing 7 or 8 today. I guess these trials probably give the respective coaches a chance to look at the depth and see what lies beneath, important for planning in case of injury but pretty irrelevant in terms results. Form after the GPS aths will be a much better indicator.
It appears to also let the coaches make some extraordinary selections and positional changes!

the_magician

Frank Row (1)

Injuries are also playing a major role in these trials, from all schools

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

Couldn't help but notice that this edifice is named the Hawker Stand.
image.php

Keith Taylor

Frank Row (1)
Seems like sour grapes to me. Both times Riverview have been beaten by Stannies they have used the excuse "their athletes are missing". So your other players are so insignificant that you don't bother letting them play in trials? Its about the team you send on the day, stop making excuses its just poor sportsmanship. Stannies won fair and square you should congratulate them for that and move on. They were the better team on the day. Do you forfeit your games because you don't have the "Athletes" during your GPS Competition? Im sure these kids are exceptional players but they are not your whole team.

Runner

Nev Cottrell (35)
Will all be over soon as the competition starts proper. However , with GPS at two rounds next year who will trial with whom if at all.

We may have seen the last of the cross association trial matches so comparisons will only be on paper or if school all play Waratah Shield.

George Grant

Ward Prentice (10)
32-17 Stannies over the boys from Lane Cove. Solid games from View's Noonan (9,10), Fenn (5) despite the miserable conditions. Some positive signs but a lot of work to be done. Return of the athletes/injured players will obviously be a booster for upcoming trials: vs St Augustines (ISA) and Newington (GPS)

Gary Owen III

Syd Malcolm (24)
I watched the Shore game on Saturday - the Auggies team is quite large and the Shore team seemed dwarfed by their counterparts in gold as the two teams ran out.

Auggies had the slight downhill advantage for the first half but the wind was probably with Shore. The early clashes were willing and some solid defence from both sides dominated the early clashes. Ball handling was fair but we saw a number of turnovers – Auggies were clearly dominant at the scrum.

One of the big points in the game came at about the 12 minute mark, as the Auggies fullback Luke Lough charged the ball back into the line and was met by a solid tackle from the Shore hooker Jake Hedge, which resulted in Luke leaving the field with a shoulder injury.

Auggies dominated the territory and eventually managed to find an overlap down the right hand edge and put the first score on the board. Auggies flyhalf Jack Ongosia made the conversion and this score took us to the break.From the restart Auggies knock-on and gave Shore some good field position but they could not capitalise.

The second half saw the play open up a little, although it is worth pointing out the lineouts from both teams were simply aweful . Auggies managed to score another try from some poor defence up the centre through the forwards and their big lock (don’t know name sorry) charged through to score under the posts. Conversion made and score was 14-0 which is how we finished.

Shore had two really good scoring chances in this half. One where some forward build-up had them attacking right on the line only to spill the ball basically over the line. The other came from broken play as the Shore winger soccered the ball through two, maybe three times only to have the ball pull up on him in the wet and he overran the ball over the line.

All in all a good effort in the wet by the Shore team against a much fancied ISA rival. Shore showed some courage in defence and will improve from this outing

Rugby Mum 2

Bill Watson (15)
Seems like sour grapes to me. Both times Riverview have been beaten by Stannies they have used the excuse "their athletes are missing". So your other players are so insignificant that you don't bother letting them play in trials? Its about the team you send on the day, stop making excuses its just poor sportsmanship. Stannies won fair and square you should congratulate them for that and move on. They were the better team on the day. Do you forfeit your games because you don't have the "Athletes" during your GPS Competition? Im sure these kids are exceptional players but they are not your whole team.

I am not a View parent but you should accept that you are not playing a true first XV. It's not an excuse but a fact. And they lost. And they will be disappointed and Stannies, probably playing with a full strength team, beat them. Good for them.

But when the team list is decided in two weeks for the first GPS trial match, over half those boys won't be in the team. Nothing wrong with that as they are all good players but their talents are probably better suited to 2nds or thirds.

Most GPS coaches will be sweating bullets over the next two trials when all players are available for selection. Then there are no excuses left!

Brainstrust

Watty Friend (18)
I am not a View parent but you should accept that you are not playing a true first XV. It's not an excuse but a fact. And they lost. And they will be disappointed and Stannies, probably playing with a full strength team, beat them. Good for them.

But when the team list is decided in two weeks for the first GPS trial match, over half those boys won't be in the team. Nothing wrong with that as they are all good players but their talents are probably better suited to 2nds or thirds.

Most GPS coaches will be sweating bullets over the next two trials when all players are available for selection. Then there are no excuses left!
I have to agree with RM2. I doubr Riverview are making excuses but from what I heard they were very under strength, 5 backs and 2-3 fwds out.. For riverview it's a trial with an under strength side. The coaches get a look at who might press for s spot. On the other hand, I hear Stannies took a number of penalty goal attempts which is not really the approach for a trial. Why not go to the line and test tour line out on a trial. I agree well done Stannies, but all results with his teams should be in context of players on deck and what sides are looking to get from the game.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Athletics will be between winter and summer in 2016 so these explanations will b a thing of the past.
I got the feeling that Keith Taylor does not appreciate that, under the present regime, none of the gps schools can field athletes until after the GPS athletics, which is this Saturday. It makes a huge difference.

Rugby Mum 2

Bill Watson (15)
what schools have athletes returning following the carnival?

All of them.

Joeys has 20-30 boys across 1, 2s and 3s. I expect other schools would have something similar.

Anyone who is quick over 100, 200, 400m and can toss a shot-put is usually tied up.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Most AAGPS Schools have between 8 and 10 of their regular starting 1st XV committed to the Athletics programme.

The trials during the Athletics season allow the coaches to give fringe 1st XV players an opportunity to stake a claim to a jumper, or to try players in different positions, particularly if there is a surplus of talent in one position ie No 8 at Lock, Flyhalf at Fullback, Inside Back at Wing etc.

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
Tomorrow will see Kings trial against Oakhill College.... it will be a combined opens side as there are still quite a few lads missing due to athletics committments

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Oakhill have been very busy of late, racking up some impressive scores. Even without their athletes, TKS can't afford to take them lightly.

Status
Not open for further replies.