• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2015

Who will win GPS 2015?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Crackerjack

Bill Watson (15)
It was wind-chill chilly indeed on the Northbridge Tabletop this afternoon with Shore hosting Scots. My sense that the "wind factor" was worth maybe 2 or 3 tries was not proven in the 2's with the quite unbelievable stat that ALL 4 tries scored in the 14-all draw were scored at the "wrong end", against the breeze.

Scots were favourites in the 1's, but the Shore tenacity and spirit is undeniable. Both aspects were borne out today.

Apart from the wind, a levelling factor was the Northbridge quagmire, the cricket pitch area on the Shore No.1 Oval. It was a good old fashioned Irish bog. After Thursday/Friday's inclemency, Monster trucks could get bogged in that stuff this afternoon, and not come out!

Also of interest was a few changes to the Scots line-up, post- the Term break and Rep games / camps. Dan England played at 12. Nick Shannon came in at flyhalf. Prindiville (11) reverted to his happy hunting ground on the left wing. And there was at least one change up front in the engine room with a new No.3.

Apart from the first 15', I got the feeling that Scots had Shore's measure throughout.

Theo Strang (9) opened the scoring with some blunt force trauma defence on his opposite number leading to a spilt pill, a toe through, a favourable pop up recovery, and he was over under under the black dot. A second meat pie soon after to the effervescent Woods (2) stepping inside had the lads in yellow 14-0 up.

Shore's best player of H1, their big No.8., who made solid yards up the guts with every carry he made, linking with the Half to find their nippy left wing heading down the leg side, and finally going in out wide. Conversion went wide into the wind, but we had a game at 14-5.

And from that point, the Bellevue Hill Boys seemed to get a bit more serious. They worked 2 more tries in H1, to the Flyhalf, Shannon, and another to Prindiville who took over with him three defender hangers-on in contact... a deceptively strong lad that.

And then Shore did their thing, with their Half working down the left beautifully, turning the Scots 15 first inside, then out, and finally finding on the inside the ubiquitous big No.8 in active support-mode. Try time before the half to give hope, but a slice on the conversion, so we go to oranges with Scots up 24-10... with the inbuilt change of fortune today with the wind-factor coming up for Shore in H2.

Both teams settled in to the arm-wrestle after the break. If Shore scored first with the wind at their backs, all the punting guides could get chucked out...

But it just wasn't to be.

The 2nd half arm-wrestle ensued, with plenty of work especially for ALL the piggies in the middle. Max Girdler (6) in particular, did a huge amount of the heavy lifting in the ugly parts for Scots, constantly making forward yards and providing a platform. (Azzuri would've been pleased with the work load on display + the bonus of making the prancing ponies in the backs stand around and shivering in anticipation...)

Hawkins (13) and Prindiville (11) doing the tough stuff set up try #5 for the Scots boys, and after further fine work from his piggie mates up front, Ryan McAulay (5) celebrating a national Guernsey over the term break, went in under the posts to put Scots out of reach. Scots up 38-10.

The cold and the rain squalls then got the better of this particular correspondent, and the City sideline was no place to be any further, freezing fingers and toes...

A really entertaining game played in good spirit for the most part, but in pretty awful conditions as compared to the bright sunshine and balmy climate of the 4ths' midday game!

My best:
For Shore: 8 and 9.
For Scots: 2, 6 and 12.

smithandwesson

Peter Burge (5)
Pass looked marginal at best.
A big poppa with a head of steam like that, hard to stop.

The Newington no.10 only has to pass it backwards, the ball can then travel forwards with momentum. When the no.3 catches the ball he is still behind the no.10. The ref was just 5yds away with an unobstructed view. He got the call right. And do you really want to hear the whistle every time there is a marginal pass, marginal offside, marginal slow release, marginal not back ten, marginal not in straight? It makes for a very tedious slow game.

Johnny come lately

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Thanks for the lesson on forward passes, as a ref myself I can agree essentially with you description ;)
Still looks forward to me but as you infer, refs never make mistakes.

I also agree with the appropriate use of the whistle but clear infringements that result in tries are a bit hard to take.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
I see grammar flogged in 3rds comp ... Such a broken model .

How much more interesting would it be to see full strength joeys facing st. Augustines ... Across the various ages and down to the f teams

oh well the broken record plays on ... Not that I know the real solution

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I see grammar flogged in 3rds comp . Such a broken model .

How much more interesting would it be to see full strength joeys facing st. Augustines . Across the various ages and down to the f teams

oh well the broken record plays on . Not that I know the real solution

Although except in the 13, Augustines have close to the same number of teams as Grammar. The standard may be higher, but not the number of teams.

Dingasden

Ward Prentice (10)
Newingtons 16s might seem weak but at least 1 big gun (Tyrone the tank) is missing as he is in ones, altgh not sure how many others (of his calibre) are playing up

Either way full credit to most of newington A teams to making for some close tussles
Nathan Lawson (8) also playing up in 1s

old fella

Stan Wickham (3)
I see grammar flogged in 3rds comp . Such a broken model .

How much more interesting would it be to see full strength joeys facing st. Augustines . Across the various ages and down to the f teams

oh well the broken record plays on . Not that I know the real solution

Give it a break buddy. Grammar won the thirds comp last year. They beat Joey's, amongst others. And they had a very enjoyable time doing so.

Cash

Sydney Middleton (9)
Does anyone have word on why Wright was playing Outside Centre yesterday for Joeys? Possibly to combat Kennewell?

That, coupled with the fact that he's completely wasted at 10 and should have never played there in the first place.
Give it a break buddy. Grammar won the thirds comp last year. They beat Joey's, amongst others. And they had a very enjoyable time doing so.
The biggest problem with Grammar is their depth. Their full-fit side is easily capable of matching up against any school's 2nd XV. The team they fielded against Joeys included players that would've struggled against other schools' 7th XVs. If you count up all the available players at the moment in the 16s and Opens divisions, you'd have enough boys to fill three teams.

Peej

Allen Oxlade (6)
Kings v View was an entertaining game given some poor conditions at times. Defense within each sides 22 wasn't great but as the game went on the Riverview pack was rolling through Kings with a few tight heads occurring.

Thought the Kings no.6 was excellent throughout the game and 15 looked handy.

View 10 was controlling nicely but missed probably 12 points in goals which in windy conditions happens but would of put the game away earlier.

2nds game was scrappy with View getting an early 7/0 lead as conditions went foul for 20 mins or so, scored a late try to end it 14/0

Cash

Sydney Middleton (9)
It was wind-chill chilly indeed on the Northbridge Tabletop this afternoon with Shore hosting Scots. My sense that the "wind factor" was worth maybe 2 or 3 tries was not proven in the 2's with the quite unbelievable stat that ALL 4 tries scored in the 14-all draw were scored at the "wrong end", against the breeze.

My best:
For Shore: 8 and 9.
For Scots: 2, 6 and 12.

Great report! I agree Woods was fantastic, I still don't know why they couldn't have put him in the GPS 1sts and pushed Horton to prop. And of course, the 'all-stars' (McCauley, Strang, Girdler and England) were nothing less than spectacular. Tough loss for the Shore boys, but I'm sure they'll be back bigger and better next week. Never doubt Shore, irrespective of who/ who they don't have on paper.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
And they had a very enjoyable time doing so.

Including a world class sledge at game's end;)
To be fair grammar are decimated with injuries and I reckon this to be the best Joeys 3rd XV side they have fielded in the 3 years of this comp + a GPS front row rep down from SJC 1st XV cant have hurt.
Im picking SJC to win 3rds and a close tussle between everyone else.

Huly

Chris McKivat (8)
Including a world class sledge at game's end;)
To be fair grammar are decimated with injuries and I reckon this to be the best Joeys 3rd XV side they have fielded in the 3 years of this comp + a GPS front row rep down from SJC 1st XV cant have hurt.
Im picking SJC to win 3rds and a close tussle between everyone else.

Who was the GPS front rower who was playing down in thirds? And why was he doing so?

Status
Not open for further replies.