• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2015

Who will win GPS 2015?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Belshaw

Bob Loudon (25)
Hi Jim
I am the mother of a year 12 GPS boy who is currently playing in the 3rds. I don't say a lot on the forum though I do read it fairly assiduously, and have done so for probably about seven years.

I love your netball idea, also a keen fan of netball, my mum, my daughter and myself were all members of the NSW Swifts this year, and enjoyed the game greatly at every home game (and the aways and the repeats on the telly). She plays club though, in Sydney at the private schools, it really can't compete in terms of development and opportunity (umpiring, assistant coaching and coaching). Private girls' schools currently only offer a sport for a term (except for rowing (the full season), gymnastics and athletics (all year), which is great to get them to try something, but not so great for development. I believe a change is on the horizon though.

I don't have enough posts to start a new thread.

Hi Rugby cheer squad. This is a Rugby forum so I hope that people will forgive me for going off topic.

As a father of daughters, I am very conscious of the absence of competitive paths for girls in sport. Both my girls had their main competitive paths outside school. I don't agree with the girls' school approach. It destroys pathways. I don't think that we can properly talk about it here. If you would like a further discussion email me at ndarala(at)optusnet.(dot)com(dot)au.

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
As a former prop, yes! Not all props are dumb

As a former prop I concur with Jim..... supported by the following excerpt from Post 2640 in the NSW AAGPS 2014 thread....

Front Row: Without a doubt the manliest men on the pitch. Large, often hairy, beer swilling carnivores that can and will smash anything in their path. Reveling in the violence inherent in the scrum, they are rarely considered "nice" people, and in fact to some they aren't even considered humans at all. Front rowers tolerate this attitude far and wide because they recognize their role at the top of the food chain and are used to suffering the fools that surround them. Accused by some of simply being dumb, I prefer to think of this group as "open to unconventional ways of thinking.".......

Tahspark

Ted Thorn (20)
^^^^^^^^^^

I would have no objection if that was cut and pasted as the intro to every thread; the dark arts need a light shone on them.

topgun

Billy Sheehan (19)
so I think New might have an alright scrum https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd...._=1437533312_71c942cd16c1b0f5a607138d562cf4e0

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I prefer it to basket ball and there's a certain attraction in the players which I dare not mention for fear of being called sexist but every play seems and invitation to rupturing an ACL or rolling ankle - don't think they get the far more trendy syndesmosis.
I'll review my prediction after I see Scots this week.

Orthopaedic surgeons couldn't design a better sport to keep them in business.:)

Cash

Sydney Middleton (9)
As a former prop I concur with Jim... supported by the following excerpt from Post 2640 in the NSW AAGPS 2014 thread..

Front Row: Without a doubt the manliest men on the pitch. Large, often hairy, beer swilling carnivores that can and will smash anything in their path. Reveling in the violence inherent in the scrum, they are rarely considered "nice" people, and in fact to some they aren't even considered humans at all. Front rowers tolerate this attitude far and wide because they recognize their role at the top of the food chain and are used to suffering the fools that surround them. Accused by some of simply being dumb, I prefer to think of this group as "open to unconventional ways of thinking."...

I'm sorry, but if you think the front row make any kind of contribution to the team aside from acting as the sacrificial battering ram during scrum time, think again. Leave the hard work and running to the outside backs, fellas.

Not in straight

Vay Wilson (31)
I'm sorry, but if you think the front row make any kind of contribution to the team aside from acting as the sacrificial battering ram during scrum time, think again. Leave the hard work and running to the outside backs, fellas.
Matt Dunning kicking a field goal while ref was playing advantage. I seem to remember.

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
Oh dear.

Cash has finally found his masculinity (at 35!!!)
You poor misguided soul, did your vespa break down on the way to your salon treatment and spray tan session?
Couldn't feel the breeze across your mangina?
You wax lyrically, but no one will remember your try scoring feats, whilst the lads will always talk about the exploits of the men ( you know them? the ones that don't shower in their undies?) of their particular drinking/fighting/rucking/partying all round good guy skills.
Occasionally some old winger that still drinks west coast cooler will say "What about such and such who played a half a season 15 years ago?"
38 names get mentioned.
And every one of them laughed at.

I'll stick with the single digit guys thanks Cash. ;0 ;0 ;)

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
Oh dear.

Cash has finally found his masculinity (at 35!!!)
You poor misguided soul, did your vespa break down on the way to your salon treatment and spray tan session?
Couldn't feel the breeze across your mangina?
You wax lyrically, but no one will remember your try scoring feats, whilst the lads will always talk about the exploits of the men ( you know them? the ones that don't shower in their undies?) of their particular drinking/fighting/rucking/partying all round good guy skills.
Occasionally some old winger that still drinks west coast cooler will say "What about such and such who played a half a season 15 years ago?"
38 names get mentioned.
And every one of them laughed at.

I'll stick with the single digit guys thanks Cash. ;0 ;0 ;)

Music to my cauliflowered ears BW....

The has been

Allen Oxlade (6)
It was wind-chill chilly indeed on the Northbridge Tabletop this afternoon with Shore hosting Scots. My sense that the "wind factor" was worth maybe 2 or 3 tries was not proven in the 2's with the quite unbelievable stat that ALL 4 tries scored in the 14-all draw were scored at the "wrong end", against the breeze.

Scots were favourites in the 1's, but the Shore tenacity and spirit is undeniable. Both aspects were borne out today.

Apart from the wind, a levelling factor was the Northbridge quagmire, the cricket pitch area on the Shore No.1 Oval. It was a good old fashioned Irish bog. After Thursday/Friday's inclemency, Monster trucks could get bogged in that stuff this afternoon, and not come out!

Also of interest was a few changes to the Scots line-up, post- the Term break and Rep games / camps. Dan England played at 12. Nick Shannon came in at flyhalf. Prindiville (11) reverted to his happy hunting ground on the left wing. And there was at least one change up front in the engine room with a new No.3.

Apart from the first 15', I got the feeling that Scots had Shore's measure throughout.

Theo Strang (9) opened the scoring with some blunt force trauma defence on his opposite number leading to a spilt pill, a toe through, a favourable pop up recovery, and he was over under under the black dot. A second meat pie soon after to the effervescent Woods (2) stepping inside had the lads in yellow 14-0 up.

Shore's best player of H1, their big No.8., who made solid yards up the guts with every carry he made, linking with the Half to find their nippy left wing heading down the leg side, and finally going in out wide. Conversion went wide into the wind, but we had a game at 14-5.

And from that point, the Bellevue Hill Boys seemed to get a bit more serious. They worked 2 more tries in H1, to the Flyhalf, Shannon, and another to Prindiville who took over with him three defender hangers-on in contact. a deceptively strong lad that.

And then Shore did their thing, with their Half working down the left beautifully, turning the Scots 15 first inside, then out, and finally finding on the inside the ubiquitous big No.8 in active support-mode. Try time before the half to give hope, but a slice on the conversion, so we go to oranges with Scots up 24-10. with the inbuilt change of fortune today with the wind-factor coming up for Shore in H2.

Both teams settled in to the arm-wrestle after the break. If Shore scored first with the wind at their backs, all the punting guides could get chucked out.

But it just wasn't to be.

The 2nd half arm-wrestle ensued, with plenty of work especially for ALL the piggies in the middle. Max Girdler (6) in particular, did a huge amount of the heavy lifting in the ugly parts for Scots, constantly making forward yards and providing a platform. (Azzuri would've been pleased with the work load on display + the bonus of making the prancing ponies in the backs stand around and shivering in anticipation.)

Hawkins (13) and Prindiville (11) doing the tough stuff set up try #5 for the Scots boys, and after further fine work from his piggie mates up front, Ryan McAulay (5) celebrating a national Guernsey over the term break, went in under the posts to put Scots out of reach. Scots up 38-10.

The cold and the rain squalls then got the better of this particular correspondent, and the City sideline was no place to be any further, freezing fingers and toes.

A really entertaining game played in good spirit for the most part, but in pretty awful conditions as compared to the bright sunshine and balmy climate of the 4ths' midday game!

My best:
For Shore: 8 and 9.
For Scots: 2, 6 and 12.

The has been

Allen Oxlade (6)
Shore were beaten before they ran on last weekend,they seemed totally in awe of the Scots top guns,who really came out firing from the kick off. Scots defencive line speed was superb and the Shore inside backs couldn't cope and had no plan B or C or D to combat this.
Shore needs some dramatic changes to their back-line, too many players out of normal positions and seemingly no attacking options at all when attacking in the opposition 22.Too many backs miss one on one tackles, and the other schools seem to know the weak links.
The Shore forwards are small but gutsy but struggle to get good go forward ball early in the games,but come good later when the bigger packs Tire. Unfortunately the backs are then unable to get their act together.As "CrackerJack" says they cant even get the ball along the back-line to the winger with simple passing.Sam Allen needs to come up from 2nds, a good strong runner and defender at 13 , Corbett is a natural winger, 10 is a problem position. The half back Haskins has been super in a beaten team.#8 Doyle and #6 Bragg are standouts in the forward pack but need more support from the other forwards who played last year.A long season ahead for the industrious and enthusiatic Shore boys.
ONE very disappointing thing on the sideline was the abuse of the Scots boys on the Eastern side of the ground abusing individual Shore boys playing in the Firsts.
It was a disgrace and no one from the Scots School did anything to stop them.
This is totally against the spirit of GPS rugby and should be stamped out immediately. It reeks of arrogance and and poor leadership by the teachers and Prefects.
It doesn't help when one of there better players Prindiville stands next to the opposition hooker throwing the ball in yelling constant abuse at the player to put him off ..Really? a team this good and it is necessary to lower themselves to these low standards of conduct. Time the coaches had a word about this behaviour or some one had a word to the coaches.
A pity it ruined a great display of football by the Scots team

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Wow ... How is that popped scrum in the joeys game!

Can someone tell me what the correct referee call on that is?

Either way that was a fantastic quality game ... And much as I don't often feel sorry for joeys ... Do feel they have played very well despite the table showing 2 losses.

That field was in atrocious condition ... Compared to say scots oval which I'd seen earlier in the day.

Either way this newington team is going to take some beating ... Not only have they got some real stars , they are also obviously very well coached.

Can anyone shed light on newingtons coaching, as I thought they lost one of main coaches?

Hello

Stan Wickham (3)
Scots were deserving winners on the day with just an outstanding team, their no.11 was tuff as and made many breaks through the Shore line. The Scots schoolboy spectators showed alarmingly very poor sportsmanship on the eastern side of the ground and were basically just bad winners. The Scots schoolboys also for some reason sat where the parents normally sit in the grandstand and parents were relegated to the metal seats, again the arrogance of the Scots boys showing through which was a very bad display.

If I was in the Scots 1st-3rds team I would ask my fellow Scots schoolboys not to come if they keep behaving like pork chops.

Wristman

Alfred Walker (16)
As a Scots supporter and parent I can verify there was indeed a small group of older boys hurling unsavoury and unnecessary abuse at the opposition players.
It is wonderful to see so many Scots boys in support at away games but the school does need to ensure that a few bad apples don't tarnish the reputation of the many who were supporting in good spirits.

Rugby from the backrow

Sydney Middleton (9)
It doesn't help when one of there better players Prindiville stands next to the opposition hooker throwing the ball in yelling constant abuse at the player to put him off

Law 10.4
m) Acts contrary to good sportsmanship.
A player must not do anything that is against the spirit of good sportsmanship in the playing enclosure.
Sanction:penalty kick

Should be enforced more often by referees, especially at Schoolboy Level.
Next we won't be mixing with the opposition after the game (see Australian Cricket team and Rugby League). That would be the end of the culture around which Rugby Union revolves.

Status
Not open for further replies.