• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2015

Who will win GPS 2015?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Byron Williamson

Herbert Moran (7)
Tips for this week:

Kings Vs Joeys: After a poor showing from the Kings boys against View, and a good second half from the Joe boys against Newington in the previous round, Joeys may have found their Mojo back and will come away with an easy win. Joeys by 19

View Vs Scots: On the back of two consecutive wins for both teams, I'm predicting a hard fought battle in this one. With Scots' firepower, however, think they may just pip View at the post, don't count Iggies out though. Scots by 5.

Shore Vs Newington: Really isn't looking like a good year for the boys from Northbridge. Newington are in red hot form and don't look like they'll slow down this week, could get ugly. Newington by 24.

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
I wouldn't think too many in the GPS Of the 90 1st 15 players playing for the 6 main schools, how many would have agents or any sort of contract? I think less than 5, probably less than 3.

I would bet good money that it's substantially more than 3 and closer to 15 or more. Let's be careful in associating the word "contract" with bags of money as it couldn't be further from the truth. The ranks of AAGPS first XV's are full of dual coders some of who have been approached and signed up to contracts registered with NRL and some with the ARU. It doesn't mean they will play with the NRL or ARU but its the agents way of building loyalty to a competing code and keeping an eye on talented lads, some of who have been identified as 15 year olds

gps_pilfs

Bob McCowan (2)
Tips for this week:

Kings Vs Joeys: After a poor showing from the Kings boys against View, and a good second half from the Joe boys against Newington in the previous round, Joeys may have found their Mojo back and will come away with an easy win. Joeys by 19

View Vs Scots: On the back of two consecutive wins for both teams, I'm predicting a hard fought battle in this one. With Scots' firepower, however, think they may just pip View at the post, don't count Iggies out though. Scots by 5.

Shore Vs Newington: Really isn't looking like a good year for the boys from Northbridge. Newington are in red hot form and don't look like they'll slow down this week, could get ugly. Newington by 24.

Good preview for the weekend, typical of you to go with the expected picks. You could make a case for the kings game (see vs Scots preseason), I couldn't say the same for the shore boys, but like yourself, the View/Scots game has me at 6's and 7's. The View scrum/setplay has been looking very impressive recently. That paired with a good outing from some key players (McGregor, Fenn, Terry) could see the Lane Cove boys taking the game out. In saying this, however, it will be a challenge to keep up with the quick pace and dominant line out of the Scots boys. This is surely the game to watch for Saturday.

Tips: Joeys, Newington and Riverview

Cash

Sydney Middleton (9)
Pencil me in for Joeys, Scots, Newington.

@Parramatta: It's been a tough season so far for the Joe boys, but this game could be a potential turning point. They really need to get some momentum if they want to stay alive in the title race, and a win against Kings would be a good start. It'll be tight, definitely, and in my opinion the game of the weekend.

@Bellevue Hill: Iggies have been hardly convincing so far this season. The effort needed for the tight wins they pulled off against Shore and Kings in the weeks prior won't be enough to see them through against Scots, they will have to lift enormously seeing as they're matched up against a very talented forward pack. Add England, Strang, Prindiville and Hawkins on top of that; a 'tough' game for the Lane Cove boys would be an understatement.

@Stanmore: As much as I want Shore to prove literally everybody in the GPS wrong about their ability, I just can't see it happening against this season's heavyweights. Newington have a side full of wrecking balls (Atiola, Kennewell, Piroddi, Loga-Tarogi, Taukamo), and I'm not sure whether the Shore boys will be able to match physicality with heart.

As far as other matches go, the 2nds game between Kings and Joeys could potentially decide who wins the overall competition (with Kings looking to make it two years in a row). Will definitely be a cracker of a match, and even more of a reason to make the trek to the disgusting part of Sydney known as the Western Suburbs.

In the 3rds comp, High vs Joeys could potentially be a bloodbath. With High losing to a relatively ordinary Newington side last week, I don't think they'll fare well against the competition favourites. I doubt Fazzari will stay in the 3rds given the quality of the Joeys scrum against Newington at 1sts level (we all saw the photo of it suspended two metres above the air). Still, the calibre of Joeys rugby this year is immense.

Grammar vs Scots could also be an interesting game. A colleague of mine informed me that Grammar were fielding a regular blindside flanker at outside centre as soon as their starting one went down due to injury, so it really could go either way. I'd be interested to hear anyone's opinion on the team they're fielding this Saturday.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Grammar vs Scots could also be an interesting game. A colleague of mine informed me that Grammar were fielding a regular blindside flanker at outside centre as soon as their starting one went down due to injury, so it really could go either way. I'd be interested to hear anyone's opinion on the team they're fielding this Saturday.

I'd take what he or she says with a grain of salt in future.
Said former 2nd rower/backrower played in that position in trials and started on the wing for the first comp game. He is probably the fastest kid in his year.
The centre they lost was not playing at 13.

George Grant

Ward Prentice (10)
Joeys to beat kings comprehensively by 17

View to edge Scots by 7

Newington to blow out Shore by 25+

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The has been

Allen Oxlade (6)
Joeys to win comfortably by 15 too much pace out wide and will smartiung after last weeks loss to New., Scots were humming last week and should win easily,too many match winners in the team , View will have a go but will run out of puff chasing all those Aussie schoolboy reps.,Newington in a canter,Shore team unbelievably unchanged except Hedge out with concussion.New too big , too fast, better directed ,a 30 point win here to the men in black and white.

Up and Over

Frank Nicholson (4)
Tips for 25/7
This season is looking very bear for Shore .... shallow depth, predictable game plan and far less passion than last year. Newington are running hot, solid and always looking for the forward ball. Newington by 30+
View v Scotts .... really could go either way. View by 7
Kings v SJC ..... Joeys to get their season back on track. SJC by 7

Cash

Sydney Middleton (9)
I'd take what he or she says with a grain of salt in future.
Said former 2nd rower/backrower played in that position in trials and started on the wing for the first comp game. He is probably the fastest kid in his year.
The centre they lost was not playing at 13.

I may have been confusing in my expression. The boy that came on halfway through the first half to replace the #13 was the supposed regular backrower, not the boy who actually went down. But correct me if I'm wrong in saying that.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Another weekend of rugby feasting ahead...our palate turns to the rolling hills of North Parramatta.

The country lads of Kings have found that 2015 has been drier than a Mudgee Riesling and hence the car park parties are showing a distinct drought in top nosh. The much heralding duck liver pate has proven rather dry and no matter how much grain they fatten their beasts with the much lively lambs from Joeys should prevail which will indeed disappoint the local fence companies. Rumor has it that there was indeed a dry patch on the Newington oval where a "burnt grass" blast was provided at half time. Joeys by a least a flock or two.

Newington are now moving into their customary steamroller phase which, unlike their uncles who man the RTA road crews, they are slightly more polished than the heavy machinery used to flatten the bumps on Stanmore Road. The wrecking crew of 12, 13 and 14 will continue to use the Shore boys like the speed humps but will show greater response than the BMW 4WD as driven by the Shore parents. Newington will ignore the "SLOW" sign and speed on through.

Finally we get to see the best game I feel of the round. We see here the refined older money of Sydney travel to the newer lawns of Bellevue. The Scots lads are again showing signs of wonderful conditioning brought on by the endless supply of Plumer Road chicken and Nepalese Sherpa's, as they condition themselves in the lofty altitudes. View though will not go quietly as will be case of the after game screaming matches with neighbours as Scots has once again caused mayhem on the local streets. Expect the nasty dog pack of the Packer compound to make an appearance (or would that be Kambala girls?). Scots by a few but View to not be under-estimated. Lane Cove boys date Kirribilli girls. Nothing toughens a young man more than a lower north shore princess.

thefrontrow

Frank Row (1)
Ive Just heard from my son whom plays in the 16s that there are boys who were in the Scots 1sts pre-season squad now playing in the 4ths? Does anyone know anymore on the matter? From the sound of it Scots seem to be 'stacking' teams, although it is nothing new after watching their 3rds display the skill and ability of a 2nds team last year, i am strongly against this. Something needs to be done about this as it can create an unfair and dangerous environment for lower ability players as Nick Farr-Jones pointed out last year when Scots 1sts beat Newington 101-0. At least the other schools seem to be having a fair crack in every grade placing appropriate players in the correct teams.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I may have been confusing in my expression. The boy that came on halfway through the first half to replace the #13 was the supposed regular backrower, not the boy who actually went down. But correct me if I'm wrong in saying that.
I'm more confused Han ever.
Ive Just heard from my son whom plays in the 16s that there are boys who were in the Scots 1sts pre-season squad now playing in the 4ths? Does anyone know anymore on the matter? From the sound of it Scots seem to be 'stacking' teams, although it is nothing new after watching their 3rds display the skill and ability of a 2nds team last year, i am strongly against this. Something needs to be done about this as it can create an unfair and dangerous environment for lower ability players as Nick Farr-Jones pointed out last year when Scots 1sts beat Newington 101-0. At least the other schools seem to be having a fair crack in every grade placing appropriate players in the correct teams.
With injuries (including to Smith) and athletics there could be kids who payed ones early and are now in 4ths with there being nothing sinister in that.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
And Year 10 kids in the Under 16's never value add about what is happening in the Opens do they?

Probably best to hold all outrage until there is some actual evidence available that supports an outrage.

Cash

Sydney Middleton (9)

I noticed that the Scots #13 in the Rd 1 game against Newington (Angus Chadwick) recently played on the wing against Waverley in a trial fixture, but I think that was purely because of a stint of poor form/player absence early on in the season.

Still, it's confronting to think that he had to face up against Kennewell (an Australian schoolboy) in the opening round an enormous GPS season for Scots, and a few weeks later he's defending Waverley 2nds' winger in a friendly.

A lot of weird (and sometimes shady) stuff goes on up in Bellevue Hill, but it all just sounds like rumours to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.