• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2015

Who will win GPS 2015?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
You won't see any other current schoolboy half in an NRC team anytime soon. Says a lot .

Harrison Goddard?

The closest would be Nicholas JOOSTE from The Hale School in Perth. He is in the Perth Spirit NRC Squad as a flyhalf, after playing WA Under 20's and WA Schoolboys this year.
Jooste has just been called up into the Australian Schoolboys Barbarians Team after initially not being announced.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
I am tipping joeys in a titanic one. The home ground will prove the difference and the absence of joeys wright and by the sounds of it one of newingtons star backs, won't take away from the quality .

Think joeys fitness also prove a descisive factor

And expect the joe boys will open things up in the final 15

Up and Over

Frank Nicholson (4)
That's because 2nd's and 3rd's are well coached. To be a good coach you have to be a good selector,the 1St XV coaches seem to do neither well.2nds and 3rds are also 8 players down but perform well most weeks. The next few weeks get worse with Scots ,New and Joey's. The boys are really struggling now to keep their chins up and finish off the season with some pride. They are are fine bunch of young men courageously lead by Fergas Bragg . Shore have no rugby program in place through out the school and it is showing badly.
it is time HQ at Shore did something about it or the old boys who proudly built the Shore tradition of Rugby and also donate $$$ every year will be storming the gate with a please explain.
Tips
Scots v Shore
This game 2 years ago was a margin of around 80 to Scots - thats when Shore had a far better team (including Clancy boys, Woodhill, Dowsett, Emery etc) ... this seasons Shore team has no standouts, lots of injurys (in some part due to lack of pre season training) and 1st XV coaches who havent planned well. Scots are big, well drilled and hungry - 50 point margin to Scots
Joeys v New
This could go either way .... should be a great hard fought match .... New by a whisker.
Kings v View
Again I reckon this will be close .... View by 7

Good luck Boys !

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Tips
Scots v Shore
This game 2 years ago was a margin of around 80 to Scots - thats when Shore had a far better team (including Clancy boys, Woodhill, Dowsett, Emery etc) . this seasons Shore team has no standouts, lots of injurys (in some part due to lack of pre season training) and 1st XV coaches who havent planned well. Scots are big, well drilled and hungry - 50 point margin to Scots
Good luck Boys !

Aren't the Shore coaches this year the same as 2 years ago? If so, it appears you are suggesting back then they planned well, had a good side, and lost by 80: this year, with all the negatives you list, you predict only a 50 point loss.
I'm not sure what your point is.

Cash

Sydney Middleton (9)
The closest would be Nicholas JOOSTE from The Hale School in Perth. He is in the Perth Spirit NRC Squad as a flyhalf, after playing WA Under 20's and WA Schoolboys this year.
Jooste has just been called up into the Australian Schoolboys Barbarians Team after initially not being announced.

Both Jooste and Strang are Barbarians, but isn't Goddard the level above (i.e. Australian schoolboy)? Not to mention two years in a row, surely he's turned the head of at least ONE scout.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^ For all the criticisms that are directed towards the ASRU selectors from time to time, it must be remembered that they select for the here and now. Hindsight is a wonderful thing that is not available to the selectors. I am sure that with the benefit of hindsight, they may acknowledge that player X should have been selected over player Y, particularly when 5 years on player X is struggling to hold their spot in 3rd grade, while Player Y is ripping it up for his Super Rugby team.

Many of their selections do not "kick on" for a whole variety of reasons, but I reiterate that ASRU have zero obligation to select based on the future ability of a player relative to their peer group. Some Clipboards do however because their charter is different to that of the ASRU selector. Clipboards often "get it wrong" as well.

Cash

Sydney Middleton (9)
Just watched Sidesteppa's full footage, and I stand by my remarks: that was without a doubt the game of the season.

For Joeys, Wennerbom looked fantastic, and was probably the first halfback I've seen in the past 20 months outshine Strang at #9. The backline looked surprisingly well-coordinated without Wright, and for once they seemed to outshine the forward pack. Jaffer-Williams appeared solid, as was Barnes's replacement.

For Scots, McCauley was outstanding, as was Woods, as was Smith. England made some incredible breaks as well.

Cash

Sydney Middleton (9)
^^^ For all the criticisms that are directed towards the ASRU selectors from time to time, it must be remembered that they select for the here and now. Hindsight is a wonderful thing that is not available to the selectors. I am sure that with the benefit of hindsight, they may acknowledge that player X should have been selected over player Y, particularly when 5 years on player X is struggling to hold their spot in 3rd grade, while Player Y is ripping it up for his Super Rugby team.

Many of their selections do not "kick on" for a whole variety of reasons, but I reiterate that ASRU have zero obligation to select based on the future ability of a player relative to their peer group. Some Clipboards do however because their charter is different to that of the ASRU selector. Clipboards often "get it wrong" as well.

I'm not suggesting that the selectors have got it wrong, in fact quite the opposite. I believe that although Strang is extremely talented, Goddard is a class above. Nor am I suggesting that either (or Jooste for that matter) will not 'cut it' in five years time. My original comment was directed at TH, who seemed to think that Strang was unquestionably the best schoolboy 9 in the country.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^He may be. A bunch of folk thought he wasn't based on what they saw at Riverview over a week of games. They may think differently under different conditions next time they see the same candidates. Some other Clipboards have rated him highly and consequently he is in the Stars NRC squad.

sidesteppa

Watty Friend (18)
Just watched Sidesteppa's full footage, and I stand by my remarks: that was without a doubt the game of the season.

For Joeys, Wennerbom looked fantastic, and was probably the first halfback I've seen in the past 20 months outshine Strang at #9. The backline looked surprisingly well-coordinated without Wright, and for once they seemed to outshine the forward pack. Jaffer-Williams appeared solid, as was Barnes's replacement.

For Scots, McCauley was outstanding, as was Woods, as was Smith. England made some incredible breaks as well.

Well, the 2nd upload allowed 60 people to view it, but then frustratingly it has been blocked again. So, I'll upload it again but with no music at all this time [bar the bagpipes]. Hopefully this one will stick, since as you say, it was a fantastic contest [well done to both XVs]. Will take another 12hrs or so though, as it's over 6GB]

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
I don't know anything about the Shore coaches ... but I am coming to the realisation that it is ALL about the cattle.. and the level of extra-circular rugby ... and the coaches are simply the scape-goats

if you have a squad of kids that have been playing competitive rugby, Saturday and Sunday for 6+ years, clearly their skill set, is going to be a level above

it is like professionals versus PART-TIMERS

of course the part-timers are going to struggle ...no matter how courageous .

... not even the best coach in the world is going to turn straw into gold

plus the full-time junior rugby playing kids ... they seem less injury prone..

the shore boys of this generation are more tilted towards academic excellence, and the Dads aren't complete rugby nuts

every battle is won or loss, LONG before it is started

so when Shore runs out on the weekend, it is with a lot less games in the vault

Brainstrust

Watty Friend (18)
I think it's a combination of the points you make, but the coaching is critical at Gps 1sts level. You can put in some good performances with cattle, but it's unlikely you will challenge / beat the top sides with cattle alone. Most of the kids haven't played club since the 15's. Watching many of the games over many years it is clear that all sides seem to have an identity as in how they play. They play a lot of structure and patterns, with Shore being the one exception, they don't seem to play to any recognisable pattern at all. Now given the huge amount of injuries they seem to have each year it may be s case that their coaches are just trying to get 15 reasonable kids out there each week. I certainly think all you've said is correct except the coaching is critical at that level. Shore appear to have neither the cattle or coaching needed to challenge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The has been

Allen Oxlade (6)
I think it's a combination of the points you make, but the coaching is critical at Gps 1sts level. You can put in some good performances with cattle, but it's unlikely you will challenge / beat the top sides with cattle alone. Most of the kids haven't played club since the 15's. Watching many of the games over many years it is clear that all sides seem to have an identity as in how they play. They play a lot of structure and patterns, with Shore being the one exception, they don't seem to play to any recognisable pattern at all. Now given the huge amount of injuries they seem to have each year it may be s case that their coaches are just trying to get 15 reasonable kids out there each week. I certainly think all you've said is correct except the coaching is critical at that level. Shore appear to have neither the cattle or coaching needed to challenge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well said Brainstrust, spot on .... Having watched Shore for many years i have seen the decline and also frustration the boys have had with Shore's lack of structure and poor coaching. Shore are not a big strong team but a passionate one. A major problem has been the continual selections of players out of position specially in the backline,all the players know what the best backline should have been from game one but the coaches have never sorted it out.
One parent on the sideline suggested they "couldn't select first gear in a manual car "let alone a rugby team. The score against Scots could be scary as the team will be the same as last week bar a winger i believe ,and hard working 2nd row Rory Suttor comes back in from injury.Hopefully the Coaches can motivate the boys to hang in there until the end of the season. PITY about Tom Wright if he has gone to League , a real talent, the best attacking back since K Beale in GPS in my humble opinion.

Not in straight

Vay Wilson (31)
TIPPING TABLE

My apologies for being a bit tardy with this.

Table is updated with all the tips I can find on the post, Sorry if I have missed anyone and direct be to the post and I will correct.

I have have deleted the delinquents.

I have stood down myself due to a conflict of interest and due to spectacularly appalling tipping.

So here are the regular tippers, We have Hugh and Nectaphilliac on top of the table sharing 36 points. Send your tips in and I try and update before the game on Saturday.

GpS tipping rd 7.png

loiterer

Sydney Middleton (9)
I don't know anything about the Shore coaches . but I am coming to the realisation that it is ALL about the cattle.. and the level of extra-circular rugby . and the coaches are simply the scape-goats

if you have a squad of kids that have been playing competitive rugby, Saturday and Sunday for 6+ years, clearly their skill set, is going to be a level above

it is like professionals versus PART-TIMERS

of course the part-timers are going to struggle .no matter how courageous .

. not even the best coach in the world is going to turn straw into gold

plus the full-time junior rugby playing kids . they seem less injury prone..

the shore boys of this generation are more tilted towards academic excellence, and the Dads aren't complete rugby nuts

every battle is won or loss, LONG before it is started

so when Shore runs out on the weekend, it is with a lot less games in the vault

Shore coaches seem to actively discourage kids from playing club rugby and favour those who don't over those that do play club. When you take into account the club rugby season starts well before the GPS season, if other schools are selecting club players, the shore player in their first game for the season is marking a player who may have already played 10. Ironically, they don't appear to like club, due to the risk of injuries, but that means they are putting players who aren't match fit against players that are. They manage to discourage the club players who don't get selected, while constantly losing discourages the non-club players who are selected. They set up their whole rugby program for failure.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Well said Brainstrust, spot on .. Having watched Shore for many years i have seen the decline and also frustration the boys have had with Shore's lack of structure and poor coaching. Shore are not a big strong team but a passionate one. A major problem has been the continual selections of players out of position specially in the backline,all the players know what the best backline should have been from game one but the coaches have never sorted it out.
One parent on the sideline suggested they "couldn't select first gear in a manual car "let alone a rugby team. The score against Scots could be scary as the team will be the same as last week bar a winger i believe ,and hard working 2nd row Rory Suttor comes back in from injury.Hopefully the Coaches can motivate the boys to hang in there until the end of the season. PITY about Tom Wright if he has gone to League , a real talent, the best attacking back since K Beale in GPS in my humble opinion.

To be a good coach, you need to be a good selector.

Status
Not open for further replies.