• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2015

Who will win GPS 2015?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jesa934

Frank Row (1)
A strong second half by kings. They ran out the victors defeating Riverview 33 to 17

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Up and Over

Frank Nicholson (4)
Aren't the Shore coaches this year the same as 2 years ago? If so, it appears you are suggesting back then they planned well, had a good side, and lost by 80: this year, with all the negatives you list, you predict only a 50 point loss.
I'm not sure what your point is.

Best not be so pedantic .... We all know that Shore are having a v tough season ......... Scots have learnt from that season they should not "totally" blast the opposition from the park ....... this is a discussion thread ........ so a margin of 50 is still not great

Jim Belshaw

Bob Loudon (25)
Indeed.

Armidale had some explosive forwards, but no real defensive structure and they were seriously lacking energy. It was a line-break party for Grammar, who looked well-coordinated in the backs. However, this declined a little when both centres went off and the 22 (aforementioned) managed to bin himself two minutes after entering the field.

But the Armidale winger that played 2's and came on for 1's was fantastic. Reminds me a lot of Blaise Barnes, quick and dangerously agile. Scored 3 for their 2nds and 1 for their 1sts, and I have absolutely no idea why he wasn't starting.

For Grammar, the forwards were good and it's tough to single out sole players. 6, 7, 8 and 2 were solid. Same with the backs, with 10 and 12 having blinders.

An update on the report provided by Cash. Sadly, I seem to have lost another camera, so I could not take photos. The TAS player was, I think, the number fifteen in the Seconds, Brett-Kelly Wirth according to the program. More on him in a moment.

It was a very hot day at Weigall. Needless to say, while I was told that I should bring a hat, I forgot so am somewhat pink. In terms of the food competition, I was very hungry so had the lot. Bot bad. "Dear those country boys can eat", someone on the canteen said.

Overall results across the board first. I only picked up snippets, but it seemed to be that the two schools were fairly evenly balanced. I will get the full results later, for they should provide a comparison of the depth across the presently two strongest minnows.

The seconds kicked off a bit after twelve. There were some early penalties against TAS, but TAS then scored at around the 6th minute, then again at the 11th minute and then around the 19th minute, all converted. Grammar in shock.

This is where the number 15 came in. He was very fast and also a very good kicker both on field and in converting tries. Constantly hovering for the intercept, once with the ball he was very hard indeed to stop. I'm not sure how old he is. I'm not good at judging, but when I saw him close up. I would guess year 11.

Grammar fought back, scoring just before the break. Half time score 21-5.

Just into the second half, TAS scored another runaway try that was converted. A TAS boy was then yellow carded. Two minutes later, Grammar was in for a try that was then converted. The Grammar forwards then attacked and attacked in driving rugby, requiring desperate TAS defence to keep them out. In the end, the second half was a draw, with the final score 28-12.

After the seconds, I was looking forward to the main match, but Grammar were just so much the better looking team. They scored quite early, converted and then scored again ten minutes later, converted. Now TAS were looking shell-shocked.

While TAS was holding in the forwards, the Grammar backs always looked dangerous. Ten minutes after the second Grammar try, and against the run of play, the TAS Seconds number fifteen now playing at no 19, ran away with the ball to score. Half time Grammar 14-TAS 5.
The second half began with a quick Grammar Grammar try, converted and then another one. A Grammar player was then yellow cared, with TAS scoring one minute later. The final score was, I think, 26-10.

Looking at the game from a tactical perspective. TAS has some back-line work to do. They may, as Cash suggests, just have been tired. But the TAS backs were standing very deep. I counted at one point, and it was taking 3-4 seconds to get into position to take the pass. By then, the cover defence was across. The TAS players were also bunching, with up to three or four Grammar backs being effectively unmarked. Only some blinding one on one ankle tackles stopped what might have become a rout.

The tackle of the match, at least of those I saw, belonged to the TAS number 19. The Grammar backline had broken way with two players in support , the TAS backline was in disarray. Starting from some 30 metres behind, the number 19 accelerated across field and managed to dive tackle the Grammar boy around the legs close to the line.

While I could wish that TAS had done better, Grammar really deserved their win. They are a very good team.

chipkick27

Frank Row (1)
Indeed.

Armidale had some explosive forwards, but no real defensive structure and they were seriously lacking energy. It was a line-break party for Grammar, who looked well-coordinated in the backs. However, this declined a little when both centres went off and the 22 (aforementioned) managed to bin himself two minutes after entering the field.

But the Armidale winger that played 2's and came on for 1's was fantastic. Reminds me a lot of Blaise Barnes, quick and dangerously agile. Scored 3 for their 2nds and 1 for their 1sts, and I have absolutely no idea why he wasn't starting.

For Grammar, the forwards were good and it's tough to single out sole players. 6, 7, 8 and 2 were solid. Same with the backs, with 10 and 12 having blinders.
I was at the game and saw 22 get binned. Before people get the wrong idea of this player, let me just explain the situation. At halftime, the ref told the grammar 1sts that the next player to not roll away from the ball would get sin binned. Obviously not on the field at this point, 22 wouldn't have heard this. Basically, he did what every player has done: bit slow to clear the ruck and slow the ball down a bit, yes a penalty but a cardable offence? Generally not. However, in this case it was a fair call by the ref, having warned the team prior about being sin binned, it is just unfortunate for the player as he was unaware of this. Nothing major really, nothing done extremely wrong by him. I just feel for the poor player - wrong place wrong time.

Rob hart

Ted Thorn (20)
Best not be so pedantic .. We all know that Shore are having a v tough season ... Scots have learnt from that season they should not "totally" blast the opposition from the park ... this is a discussion thread .... so a margin of 50 is still not great

Scots took off Strang, Girdler, McCauley, Smith and a few more early in the Second half ....... The second half was more Shore than Scots and Shore are to be commended on their never say die attitude, I would love to watch the Shore seconds play the Shore firsts it would be a bell ringer ........

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Full time at Hunters Hill 27-12 Joeys

Sounds like it was a tough day at the office for Newington up at Hunters Hill. A look at the Joeys twitter feed suggests that SJC won just about everything. New's only wins were in the lower divisions where they matched up against a lower Joeys team.

SJC again show that they are the benchmark of a whole school rugby programme.

Not in straight

Vay Wilson (31)
Scots took off Strang, Girdler, McCauley, Smith and a few more early in the Second half ... The second half was more Shore than Scots and Shore are to be commended on their never say die attitude, I would love to watch the Shore seconds play the Shore firsts it would be a bell ringer ....
Good point Rob. It would be a great game. i think the 1's would get home by maybe 3 or 4 tries.

It certainly would be a much better game to watch than Scots 1 v 2.

I would say that would be a very 1 sided affair, say 150 plus.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
New really missed kennewell today.

Full credit to joeys ... Left no doubt as to sydney rugby powerhouse.

New ended with a few injuries ... So not sure if scots could yet clinch the title ... Altgh Riverview not looking likely ... Even with McGregor .

For joeys today it was a captain knocks ... Horton ... Who gets my 3 points and Showed why his missing the prior week proved costly.

Leaver gets 2, and king 1.

Newingtons 12 Murray looked dangerous even without his normal centre partner.

And took the 3 points easily and bagged a nice try.

2 points to Tyrone who bagged the other try and was always a handful.1 point to the other winger(14) who was elusive and saved a certain try on yiribi

Final note - hope the injury to the newington 15 wasn't as serious as it looked with his being carted off deep in the 2nd half

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Kings seems to be coming home with a wet sail, so while you might think the shield is all but decided ... Ie joint new/scots

Personally I think it will be interesting to see if kings in particular can

knock off either scots or joeys

Similarly view could salvage some pride over a newington that now looks to be limping over the finish line

Jim Belshaw

Bob Loudon (25)
these days they are on your phone :confused:

I know. Sigh. I only ever use my phone for messages and its been a very old fashioned one. I accept that I'm a troglodyte, positively antediluvian, but I actually use my time on public transport for reading and writing, so I haven't needed that extra functionality. That's when everybody else seems to be obsessed with the internet, but I have writing deadlines.

My old phone has finally broken down, my new (cheap) one will take photos but it doesn't have things like zoom capacity (I don't think it does) or the ability (again I don't think its does) to adjust for different light. Youngest (25) has been educating me, but I fear that its a slow process!

Status
Not open for further replies.