• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2015

Who will win GPS 2015?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Joeys v NEW (summary) https://twitter.com/JoeysRugby
Joeys 1st XV 27 Newington 1st XV 12
Joeys 2nd XV 34 Newington 2nd XV 10
Joeys 3rd XV 52 Newington 3rd XV 3
Joeys 4th XV 59 Newington 4th XV 0
Joeys 9th XV 15 Newington 5th XV 17
Joeys 10th XV 52 Newington 6th XV 0
Joeys 16A 41 Newington 16A 0
Joeys 16D 46 Newington 16B 19
Joeys 16G 21 Newington 16C 5
Joeys 15A 48 Newington 15A 7
Joeys 15B 57 Newington 15B 5
Joeys 15F 7 Newington 15C 7
Joeys 15G 45 Newington 15D 17
Joeys 14A 33 Newington 14A 0
Joeys 14B 78 Newington 14B 5
Joeys 14E 17 Newington 14C 36
Joeys 14F 36 Newington 14D 35
Joeys 13A 35 Newington 13A 17
Joeys 13B 65 Newington 13B 5
Joeys 13G 36 Newington 13E 15

sidesteppa

Watty Friend (18)
Were you able to video any other games at Joeys yesterday?

Just one or two short bursts, was enjoying the sun most of the time. Recorded a couple of tries from the 16A's, and a couple from the 3s & 2s. Not had a chance to look at any of it yet, but will post them up in due course. Let me know if it was anything specific you were hoping to see.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
The study sounds pretty comprehensive, so could be right. But if I channel my scientific past life I can see some flaws.

The study is based on the individual and the voluntary use of headgear. Straight away there are biases. My thinking is more forwards use headgear and are subject to more collisions. (albeit that backs may have less but are at high speed which may be more dangerous). Also those using headgear may already be prone to concussion hence why they wear it.

A better study which will probably never be undertaken, is where entire matches are played with 30 players all wearing headgear, and against control matches of the entire 30 without headgear. This study is at the match level not the individual level. It has the benefit of double insulation in head clashes. it still may result in the same outcome but would be a very different study and have much more scientific rigor than the one you quote.

I think that the nub of it is that padded headgear spreads the impact on the outside of the skull, so therefore in reduces cuts and skull fractures, but it doesn't reduce the force of the impact on the skull as a whole so that the forces at work INSIDE the skull are unchanged. It's the force of the impact inside the skull which injures the brain in a concussion.

That's my understanding of it anyway, but I'm not a neurosurgeon.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I think that the nub of it is that padded headgear spreads the impact on the outside of the skull, so therefore in reduces cuts and skull fractures, but it doesn't reduce the force of the impact on the skull as a whole so that the forces at work INSIDE the skull are unchanged. It's the force of the impact inside the skull which injures the brain in a concussion.

That's my understanding of it anyway, but I'm not a neurosurgeon.

Yep. It's pretty simple - concussion results from acceleration / deceleration injuries. The brain is suspended within the skull, skull hits something hard (another body, fist , ground) and it decelerates rapidly, brain does so slower and it impacts the opposite side of the skull. This is a simplified version. Shear forces can be a factor too. Headgear does little or nothing to mitigate the physics. Now, if we had airbags inside our skulls..........
It ONLY reduces external trauma to the head - scalp lacerations / abrasions etc...

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Joeys v NEW (summary) https://twitter.com/JoeysRugby
Joeys 1st XV 27 Newington 1st XV 12
Joeys 2nd XV 34 Newington 2nd XV 10
Joeys 3rd XV 52 Newington 3rd XV 3
Joeys 4th XV 59 Newington 4th XV 0
Joeys 9th XV 15 Newington 5th XV 17
Joeys 10th XV 52 Newington 6th XV 0
Joeys 16A 41 Newington 16A 0
Joeys 16D 46 Newington 16B 19
Joeys 16G 21 Newington 16C 5
Joeys 15A 48 Newington 15A 7
Joeys 15B 57 Newington 15B 5
Joeys 15F 7 Newington 15C 7
Joeys 15G 45 Newington 15D 17
Joeys 14A 33 Newington 14A 0
Joeys 14B 78 Newington 14B 5
Joeys 14E 17 Newington 14C 36
Joeys 14F 36 Newington 14D 35
Joeys 13A 35 Newington 13A 17
Joeys 13B 65 Newington 13B 5
Joeys 13G 36 Newington 13E 15

Fairly typical of the result sheet when any school has played Joeys this year.:)

Crackerjack

Bill Watson (15)
It was hot-as over at Hunters Hill yesterday for Joeys match-up against ladder leaders, Newington.

New's opening was strong. A scything solo break across the midfield by New's left wing (14) leaving multiple Joeys defenders grasping, fed off to wrecking-ball Tyrone (11) to rumble down the RH touchline to score, and New led 7-0 early. Tranmission appeared to be 'normal'.

Joeys earlier crabbing across-field (too easy for New defenders to pick off), changed to more deliberate and direct downfield momentum. New's mercurial No.9 got yellowed for doing a "Richie McCaw" (a professional lie-down in the middle of a ruck) deep in New's red zone, and straight after, one of Joeys' best Will Wennerbom (9) crossed under a swelter of bodies to level it up at 7.

Heading towards oranges and the unexpected start to Spring was sucking the marrow from some very big Newington bones, with their big boppers starting to shuffle-dance. Oranges were both timely and sweet.

Post-resumption, Cam Murray (12) in mid-field added Joeys' No.7 to his Season's tally of embarrassed one-on-one defenders, with the deftest of "in and away" feints, then a 30m sprint to cross the stripe. A pretty easy conversion attempt was missed, but New were out 12-7.

In front, but only just, Newington were not playing their 2015 brand of crisp and direct Rugby. Whether it was the heat of the day, or the first-half forced reshuffling of their backline, or the relentless in-your-face pressure that Joeys were applying across the park, or maybe just the weight of expectation and burden of being the Season's front-runners for the last 3 months, it was hard to tell. They were suddenly all over the place like a mad-woman's sh!t.

From a New handling error and a Joey's kick-through of the loose pill near halfway, Yirrbri Jaffer-Williams (14) comfortably won a sprint for both a kind bounce and the inviting Northern end stripe. Conversion slotted and the Joe Boys grabbed their first lead of the game, up 14-12 and looking like they now "believed", tails up.

Belief was replaced by faith and conviction when "Captain Courageous" Tom Horton (3), dusting off freer running glory days in the U12's, capitalised on another Newington error, springing right up the guts, and sprinting 40-odd metres untouched to press down on the verdant, right under the black dot. A pitching wedge of a conversion, and there was more than a meat pie in it, 21-12.

With the brightest of scoreboard clocks right in their line of sight to the Northern end, Joeys cleverly played territorial and possession Rugby, feeding off superb lineout jumping, eating away at the precious minutes. An almost inevitable penalty (this time from the scrum) gifted Joeys a 12 point buffer, and the faithful pumped out "Never Walk Alone" at stadium concert levels. Mere minutes still left.

Another penalty kick right on F/T to end proceedings caused Joe Boys' arms to reach skywards; Newington lads to drop to their haunches, exhausted and deflated; and some 10 suburbs away, a rag-tag of middle-aged Rugby Dads on a Balcony overlooking the Scots College Oval, hovering around text messages coming in thick and fast from Hunters Hill, to burst into a collective cheer for a job very well done by Joeys.

Joeys dogged and determined win yesterday, and Kings "upset" at home over Riverview (am so not including you in those 'non-believers', Azzuri!), presents some mouth-watering encounters for the last couple of Rounds, with Newington and Scots levelled up on 13 competition pts, Joeys 3 adrift on 10pts.

Round next week: Riverview host Scots. Joeys meet a rejuvenated Kings. Final Round 10: Riverview to square the 2015 ledger with Newington? And Scots travel to Kings? There's puh-lenty left in this year's 1st XV's comp.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Can someone tell me if the joeys referees open themselves up to be referee coached?

As I hear it is all very in house when it comes to joeys refereeing

And while must say I haven't seen too much bad refereeing at joeys ... I do think the coaching is very important ...

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Can someone tell me if the joeys referees open themselves up to be referee coached?

As I hear it is all very in house when it comes to joeys refereeing

And while must say I haven't seen too much bad refereeing at joeys . I do think the coaching is very important .

I think it's done internally; i.e. there is a teacher or parent in charge of the referees.

Joeys wouldn't be alone in having complaints about current students refereeing games - but the refs have to come from somewhere.

Crackerjack

Bill Watson (15)
Does anyone realise NEW lost 5/8 5 mins before kick off
Yep, no doubt. Not lining up with regular 10, Kuenzle, and already being down Kennewell at OC, was a tough break to have to deal with. Cam Murray's effectiveness at 12 not quite so much having to stand in closer at flyhalf; and Sepesa coming forward to play outside centre. But all shades of grey, really, players of this quality.
New's disruptions took nothing away from the determination shown in, and the quality of the Joeys win. It was pretty stirring stuff.

sidesteppa

Watty Friend (18)
It was hot-as over at Hunters Hill yesterday for Joeys match-up against ladder leaders, Newington.

Nice write up of a thrilling game, just wanted to add there was an interesting section of play just before halftime when New should have gone to oranges ahead. They had a rolling maul charging towards the goal line, but the ball carrier "went over" 2metres too early and it looked like he mistook the shadow of the grandstand for the try line! [you'll be able to see it on my video, when it's done] And then when the ball was distributed into midfield Cameron Murray ran & had 3 tacklers hanging onto him as stretched for the try line with one hand, only to lose it centimetres from the turf. So close.

mike parker

Frank Nicholson (4)
Just one or two short bursts, was enjoying the sun most of the time. Recorded a couple of tries from the 16A's, and a couple from the 3s & 2s. Not had a chance to look at any of it yet, but will post them up in due course. Let me know if it was anything specific you were hoping to see.

Great to hear, looking forward to watch. Interested in re-watching the thirds, good running rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.