• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2015

Who will win GPS 2015?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

OldColt

Sydney Middleton (9)
You need to learn how to lose, and you need to learn how to win. For a school that barely gets crowds (and I mean they had a solid crowd of FIVE students at one game) at any of their other First XV games , I don't think they were out there to celebrate the victory of the premiership, when I doubt any of them really cared about that to a certain extent, rather they just did it because they succumbed to peer pressure and a level of mob mentality.
You need to lighten up! There was a great atmosphere at the ground and we'd already witnessed a great win by 2nds in the dying seconds of the previous game (clearly I'm a New supporter!) and the enormous crowd witnessed an outstanding display of schoolboy rugby again in the main game. Unless you were the ref you would have had as little idea of the time left in the match as the rest of us so the 50 secs is just fanciful.
While having boys running on to the field might not be ideal, it certainly appeared to be a spontaneous response to the match winning try in a cliff-hanger of a match - and to take cheap shots at the school simply because of the crowd sizes at other games is just odd - unlike some other schools, attendance isn't compulsory.
In the end order was restored, no play was lost, no-one was hurt, and the conversion attempt went ahead, following which full-time was called by the ref. Other than a brief interruption to play which had no impact on the result, what harm was done?

Brainstrust

Watty Friend (18)
Talk from those who were at the after match function, was that the Newington headmaster and sports masters apologised for the totally unacceptable behaviour of the old boys and students and will be taking it further. The fact that the game hadn't been called full time made it all the worse. Just because it makes you happy doesn't make it right. And while no harm to anyone occurred it's just not acceptable. If it's ok last Saturday is it ok any other Saturday next year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Prince Henry

Fred Wood (13)
I genuinely don't understand how you could have enjoyed watching that pitch invasion, whether you're a View or New supporter. For all the effort and hard work Riverview put in during that second half to claw back and eventually get into the lead, for them to have to stand there, being pushed aside by students who will never have the privilege of playing First XV rugby, is completely disrespectful. It has been well known that pitch invasions at all schools have been banned for the last 5 or so years mostly to protect the safety of the players. I know for a fact that there were 50 seconds left when New scored that try, and it took the referee 20 seconds to call time off, if it weren't for the pitch invasion, there may have been one more play. The teachers and coachers of Newington preceded to run onto the ground themselves and apologise to the players, which I commend immensely.

Riverview should hold their heads high and know that they came close to one of the all-time great wins, in an all-time great GPS footy game.
Ironically, on the QLD GPS rugby thread, the talk has been about the same thing. The appropriateness or otherwise of pitch invasions.

OldColt

Sydney Middleton (9)
Talk from those who were at the after match function, was that the Newington headmaster and sports masters apologised for the totally unacceptable behaviour of the old boys and students and will be taking it further. The fact that the game hadn't been called full time made it all the worse. Just because it makes you happy doesn't make it right. And while no harm to anyone occurred it's just not acceptable. If it's ok last Saturday is it ok any other Saturday next year?

Yep!

aka_the_think

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Can't really believe there are people that genuinely support the pitch invasion.

At 4.40pm I asked the AR (who was standing right in front of me) how long was left. Riverview had just scored to take the lead, so I was hoping the number would be quite low. Sadly he informed me that there was 10 minutes left. At 4.46pm Newington scored their try, and all hell broke loose from there. The conversion wasn't slotted until 4.50pm. Obviously the clock wasn't running throughout that time, but I have no doubt that a significant amount of time was lost. I am not suggesting that Riverview would have won the game, with their tails up Newington were unlikely to concede any points after that try, but that doesn't make it okay for a crowd to just decide that the rules no longer apply.

Let's also not consider the pitch invasion in a vacuum here guys. A large crowd of very drunk Newington old boys slowly crept up to the dead ball line as Newington pounded away at the line. They initiated the run on. Riverview players were quite extensively abused by old boys and Newington students at this point, really for doing nothing.

In saying that, the worst incident was at the start of the game when the Newington 'tunnel' was formed. It was an impressive tunnel, but it was pretty sad to see old boys join the end of it at the half way point where Riverview were lining up. The vitirol that the Riverview guys sustained in the 2 minutes it took the Newington guys to come out was quite something. That it came largely from Old Boys that should know better makes it worse.

But despite all that I must say it was great to see a decent amount of Newington boys turn up - in 8 years of watching GPS games (only missed 3 rounds in that time) I've never seen more than a handful of Newington boys, even in premiership years. For the most part the Newington students/fanbase and players were very good sports and cheered very positively.

The game was a solid affair. Personally, I think too many tries were scored (the defence was bad from both teams). Newington were quite clearly the better team I thought, but failed to capitalise on their opportunities - it was clear that they were feeling the pressure somewhat. Riverview played a scrappy game, exploiting uncharacteristic errors by New. It was a shame that McGregor, Kennewell and other ideal starters were out, but their substitutes all did well.

Newington were a very good team and deserved co-premiers.

This Riverview team wasn't as bad as the history books will show. They lost many games by slim margins, often in the dying stages of the game. I chalk a lot of that up to a lack of depth, lack of fitness, and perhaps a general lack of tactical nous. That said they exceeded my, and many other's, expectations with their determination, attacking shape, scrappy defence, scrum prowess, etc.

P.S. I think think Newington need a better mascot - that dragon looks like a failed campaign by St George Bank to branch into NZ.

Not in straight

Vay Wilson (31)
Some Stats that may be of interest:

Joeys Rugby Statistics 2015:

41 Rugby Teams: 474 Games - 17256 Points For / Just over 5000 Against

Won 82.2% of GPS Rounds

Most successful age group - U14s won 89.9% of their games

Best Offensive Team: U14Bs 648 Points in 10 games

Best Defensive Team: Open 10ths - conceded 33 Points in 10 games

Pennant winning sides:

Opens Pennant winning side: 2nds

Opens Pennant winning side & Undefeated: 3rds

Undefeated Sides:

Opens: 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 10th

16A, B, C, D, E

15C, D, F

14A, B, C, D

13B, D, E, F

Sorry Ricey, 14 A's fell at the last hurdle.

Joeys 14A 21 Shore 22

Rugby from the backrow

Sydney Middleton (9)
In saying that, the worst incident was at the start of the game when the Newington 'tunnel' was formed. It was an impressive tunnel, but it was pretty sad to see old boys join the end of it at the half way point where Riverview were lining up. The vitirol that the Riverview guys sustained in the 2 minutes it took the Newington guys to come out was quite something. That it came largely from Old Boys that should know better makes it worse.

I would have to agree with this. Riverview, joeys and kings have dealt with these situations and now it is enjoyable to watch the Rugby without incident. Will Newington follow the same course?

AussieJuniorRugby

Bob McCowan (2)
A ruck was formed and under the laws the ball may NOT be picked up within a ruck and can only be when it passes the last feet. On repeated viewing with a Level 2 referee the opinion is that the player picking it up within a ruck should have been penalized. The referee made a beginners mistake and cost View a historic upset win

No real point dwelling on this guys as we can't change result now. Could well have been a mistake but what's the point of disagreeing about it.

topgun

Billy Sheehan (19)
Can't really believe there are people that genuinely support the pitch invasion.

But despite all that I must say it was great to see a decent amount of Newington boys turn up - in 8 years of watching GPS games (only missed 3 rounds in that time) I've never seen more than a handful of Newington boys, even in premiership years.

P.S. I think think Newington need a better mascot - that dragon looks like a failed campaign by St George Bank to branch into NZ.

in 2009 there was a crowd of more than 10,000 at the Johnson oval to see Newington humiliate Joeys 51-7. Don't quiz me on that one, it was probably one of the more memorable days in my life.

The mascot is quite clearly a joke...
For a school that barely gets crowds (and I mean they had a solid crowd of FIVE students at one game) at any of their other First XV games , I don't think they were out there to celebrate the victory of the premiership, when I doubt any of them really cared about that to a certain extent, rather they just did it because they succumbed to peer pressure and a level of mob mentality.

Mate that's a total flog. I'm an old boy that missed 2 Newington games this year and I know many who've done the same. The difference is that new don't force kids to turn up. it's all well and good to have a bit of a slag off of the old boys, but to query that the result would have changed at all or that they just 'didn't care' is frankly a bit insulting.

N

notthefbi

At 4.40pm I asked the AR (who was standing right in front of me) how long was left. Riverview had just scored to take the lead, so I was hoping the number would be quite low. Sadly he informed me that there was 10 minutes left. At 4.46pm Newington scored their try, and all hell broke loose from there. The conversion wasn't slotted until 4.50pm. Obviously the clock wasn't running throughout that time, but I have no doubt that a significant amount of time was lost. I am not suggesting that Riverview would have won the game, with their tails up Newington were unlikely to concede any points after that try, but that doesn't make it okay for a crowd to just decide that the rules no longer apply.

Let's also not consider the pitch invasion in a vacuum here guys. A large crowd of very drunk Newington old boys slowly crept up to the dead ball line as Newington pounded away at the line. They initiated the run on. Riverview players were quite extensively abused by old boys and Newington students at this point, really for doing nothing.

But despite all that I must say it was great to see a decent amount of Newington boys turn up - in 8 years of watching GPS games (only missed 3 rounds in that time) I've never seen more than a handful of Newington boys, even in premiership years. For the most part the Newington students/fanbase and players were very good sports and cheered very positively.

The game was a solid affair. Personally, I think too many tries were scored (the defence was bad from both teams). Newington were quite clearly the better team I thought, but failed to capitalise on their opportunities - it was clear that they were feeling the pressure somewhat. Riverview played a scrappy game, exploiting uncharacteristic errors by New. It was a shame that McGregor, Kennewell and other ideal starters were out, but their substitutes all did well.

Newington were a very good team and deserved co-premiers.

This Riverview team wasn't as bad as the history books will show. They lost many games by slim margins, often in the dying stages of the game. I chalk a lot of that up to a lack of depth, lack of fitness, and perhaps a general lack of tactical nous. That said they exceeded my, and many other's, expectations with their determination, attacking shape, scrappy defence, scrum prowess, etc.

Whether you are a Newington supporter or a Riverview supporter, the behavior of all Newington supporters was despicable. Those Newington boys, both past and present, should be ashamed of themselves for their actions. You can't blame groupthink for their actions, all of them willingly ran onto the pitch. They knew it was wrong, but they did it anyway. I hope all responsible for this disgusting action are punished.

Another disgusting display of their behavior was one of the boys who held up a sign towards the Riverview boys spelling out "KILL". What kind of school is this where death threats to the opposition are acceptable?

For the Newington boys behaving good, where have you been? The 1sts soccer earlier in the day was appalling for spectators not from Newington. The Newington supporters spewing hate-filled vitriol towards the Riverview goalkeeper was unacceptable and disgusting. Distracting players and openly insulting the opposition was despicable.

Newington should be ashamed of these students and supporters.

Loose Carry

Peter Burge (5)
Having not been at Stanmore, I can't comment on the many accusations thrown around. What I can comment on though is what I have witnessed at many schools over the last few years.

Specifically, young old boys who feel that it is their right to yell abuse at players on the field. Every school needs to crack down on this. Schools should be safe places where every individual can do what they do without being subjected to verbal abuse. Just because a boy is on a field instead of in a classroom should not make a difference. On a Tuesday, would we allow people into our schools and ignore them if they started yelling abuse at the students in the playground? Of course not. So why do schools ignore the same thing on a Saturday. A very strong stance needs to be taken on this as it is unacceptable, inappropriate and should not be tolerated on the property of any school.

DragonMan

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Whether you are a Newington supporter or a Riverview supporter, the behavior of all Newington supporters was despicable. Those Newington boys, both past and present, should be ashamed of themselves for their actions. You can't blame groupthink for their actions, all of them willingly ran onto the pitch. They knew it was wrong, but they did it anyway. I hope all responsible for this disgusting action are punished.

Another disgusting display of their behavior was one of the boys who held up a sign towards the Riverview boys spelling out "KILL". What kind of school is this where death threats to the opposition are acceptable?

For the Newington boys behaving good, where have you been? The 1sts soccer earlier in the day was appalling for spectators not from Newington. The Newington supporters spewing hate-filled vitriol towards the Riverview goalkeeper was unacceptable and disgusting. Distracting players and openly insulting the opposition was despicable.

Newington should be ashamed of these students and supporters.

As an Old Boy I'm very disappointed to hear this. Please contact the Headmaster Dr Mulford and I'm sure he will take the appropriate action, if indeed it has not already been taken.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Charlie Rorke - does anybody know, for sure, if he is still 15?? And he's in Yr. 10 right?

Also as I asked earlier (but mentioned New instead of Shore):

Does anybody know the score of 16As: Shore v Joeys ??

Will Cooper

Bob McCowan (2)
I think the 'pitch invasion' has soaked up more attention than the fact that the outstanding sides (Scots and New) have yet again shared the premiership. Now i was not at Stanmore on Saturday so i'm not aware of the full story.

However, i was out at Paramatta watching some quality rugby throughout the day. From 4th's to 1st's the boys from Bellevue Hill turned out to be quite the opposition for the hosting side. A few weeks ago i made a prediction for George Feros to be the new tight head for 2016, however i saw him speeding down the sideline as a second rower in the 3rds. (what's his main position?) It was a great sight for the 2nd XV to come away in their final game of the season with a Victory. For 2 time wooden spooners is was refreshing to finally see smiles on their faces. Poiner, Bours and Chadwick were outstanding.

All in all it has been a great season full of controversy, meat pies and cracking rugby. Can't wait to see if Scots and New have enough depth to keep their dominance alive. And for Shore to make a solid impact and to be real threats for the top of the table.

Bring on next season! ;):)

Status
Not open for further replies.