• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Not in straight

Vay Wilson (31)
I'm holding off looking at the CAS forum for a while to all the views are in. I expect there will be some cannibalism expressed from those with no affiliation with Knox and Waverly. Trinity also for that matter who went down to St Pats I heard. Those 3 were being touted as challenges this year. From my limited experience there seems no doubt that GPS schools (GPS 1sts comp) put a lot more into their rugby programs than the other associations say apart from Knox and I'm not just discussing the talent. (Auggies have some claims that they can compete against any school most years) From the talent point of view, apart from maybe one school I think all schools would be able to acknowledge they are supporting their program to some degree. (Apologies if this is getting into the grey area)

I feel both from schooland outside school perspective there are 7 or 8 boys in the CAS competition who were and are amongst the best in the Y12 age group. They were a factor in the U16 CAS win over GPS two years ago and expect CAS will have the ability to put a pretty handy side on the field this year.
VERY GREY AREA

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
Not in total agreement with Azzuri. For me the 2 players chasing the 1sts #10 jumper at Kings are both able players but very similar as well. Both have decent pass / kicking games but don't feel they have ability to break or take on the line. Saturdays game also highlighted 1sts may need a reliable points taker and Mann missing a conversion and then a penalty to win the game for Kings 2nds, may be noted. Also disagree about Kings efforts in the 1sts on Saturday. I thought quite disappointing when also considering one of their tries was scored when Scots had one in the bin. Last years trial pretty sure Scots had 2 of their bigger name forwards out through injury (or rested) and Kings had a decent game but Kings coaching staff may have some disappointment the way things unfolded in the second half on Saturday. Peitsch has the X factor but the good sides should be able to cover the loss of one player.

Both fly halves are excellent players with ALL the skills required at this level and both have an equal chance at the number 10 Jersey IMHO. Mann however is the incumbent 10 from last years Firsts and now that he is back from injury he will be very keenly chasing a spot in the the First XV. Who knows, both lads may find a spot on the squad.

Kings played well below their best in on Saturday. No question. I watched every game of the European tour and the the first two trials and can tell you Saturday was inconsistent with the standard that Kings have exhibited in the previous 9 game winning streak.

Three players from firsts were absent from the Kings squad (not just one) and there were several positional adjustments as a result.

Yes there was disappointment not just with the result but with the way the game unfolded but I'm not aware of anyone associated with the squad having their toes over the ledge.

Not in straight

Vay Wilson (31)
Both fly halves are excellent players with ALL the skills required at this level and both have an equal chance at the number 10 Jersey IMHO. Mann however is the incumbent 10 from last years Firsts and now that he is back from injury he will be very keenly chasing a spot in the the First XV. Who knows, both lads may find a spot on the squad.

Kings played well below their best in on Saturday. No question. I watched every game of the European tour and the the first two trials and can tell you Saturday was inconsistent with the standard that Kings have exhibited in the previous 9 game winning streak.

Three players from firsts were absent from the Kings squad (not just one) and there were several positional adjustments as a result.

Yes there was disappointment not just with the result but with the way the game unfolded but I'm not aware of anyone associated with the squad having their toes over the ledge.
Azzuri, did Kings play Blackrock on European tour?

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
Azzuri, did Kings play Blackrock on European tour?

Nope.

England.

1. St Edwards at Oxford
  2. Loughborough Grammar School
  3. Queen Ethelburgas in York
  4. Bryanston School
  5. Dulwich College London

Italy.

1. FIR Comitatao Regionale Veneto -Regional Rep Squad
  2. Unione Rugby Capotolina - Regional Rep Squad

S

sidelineview

OAUI
I feel both from school and outside school perspective there are 7 or 8 boys in the CAS competition who were and are amongst the best in the Y12 age group. They were a factor in the U16 CAS win over GPS two years ago and expect CAS will have the ability to put a pretty handy side on the field this year.

You're right CAS should have a pretty handy side and similar to the squad they had 2 years ago.
However, GPS will have notable additions to their squad from a couple of years ago.That's the difference and that's the way it is.

Not in straight

Vay Wilson (31)
Nope.

England.

1. St Edwards at Oxford
  2. Loughborough Grammar School
  3. Queen Ethelburgas in York
  4. Bryanston School
  5. Dulwich College London
Italy.

1. FIR Comitatao Regionale Veneto -Regional Rep Squad
  2. Unione Rugby Capotolina - Regional Rep Squad

Were they big schools of similar standard? Would they run as many open teams as Kings?

Tours are always a lottery as you don't know the standard you would be playing. But I would expect the tour organizers to put you up against the best sides in the UK,

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
Were they big schools of similar standard? Would they run as many open teams as Kings?

Tours are always a lottery as you don't know the standard you would be playing. But I would expect the tour organizers to put you up against the best sides in the UK,

Of these schools I would rate only Dulwich College, London as amongst the best of English Schoolboys at the top level. There is no Wellington College, St.Paul' s School, Tonbridge School, Merchant Taylor School ( The London One) while Radley College and Brighton College have good records as Rugby Schools. So TKS result 's and match performances might be a bit misleading.

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
Of these schools I would rate only Dulwich College, London as amongst the best of English Schoolboys at the top level. There is no Wellington College, St.Paul' s School, Tonbridge School, Merchant Taylor School ( The London One) while Radley College and Brighton College have good records as Rugby Schools. So TKS result 's and match performances might be a bit misleading.

I'm not sure where you get your info rating the schools I listed. They all play in very different comps. so many top schools are insulated from many other "TOP" schools. Some of the schools Kings played had English school boy reps in their squad and many had U18 players who are contracted to the major English union sides. Scrolling through the web looking at school rankings and drawing your conclusions is no substitute for seeing games and players with your own eyes.

BTW....I would rate the schools we played in the following order based on what i saw:

1. Queen Ethelburga's
  2. Byanston
  3. St Edwards
  4. Dulwich
  5. Loughborogh
And that's no taking anything away from any of them as they were all very worth opponents

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)

I agree @NIS. I was expecting a spread of quality but they were all very good schools and any of then would compete well within our GPS comp.

English Schoolboy Rugby play a northern hemisphere style of rugby with huge forward packs focused on a forwards based game strategy. The more expansive Southern Hemisphere style of Rugby won out at the end of the day....Just like in the RWC.

The Italians played like the French....and played some very entertaining if slightly unconventional Rugby.

OAUI

Allen Oxlade (6)
Incumbent ?? Though both had overlapping injury woes pretty sure Poletto had the coaches nod as first choice last year and started in 5 or 6 games at #10 after returning from injury. Fair to say though neither may have been right to play at same time.

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
Incumbent ?? Though both had overlapping injury woes pretty sure Poletto had the coaches nod as first choice last year and started in 5 or 6 games at #10 after returning from injury. Fair to say though neither may have been right to play at same time.

Correct they did have overlapping injuries and Mann filled in before he also got injured. Think Mann was the only other 10 Kings ran in firsts last year. IIRC he was also selected for one of the GPS rep sides but ruled out due to injury.

Not in straight

Vay Wilson (31)
Correct they did have overlapping injuries and Mann filled in before he also got injured. Think Mann was the only other 10 Kings ran in firsts last year. IIRC he was also selected for one of the GPS rep sides but ruled out due to injury.

He played GPS Blue at 10 I am sure.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
It was a good, close game in the U16s Final in 2014, but only one team won.

Heavily Knox influenced? .. let's have a look.
Of the 23 players who represented CAS:
Knox had 8 players in the team
Trinity - 6
Aloys - 4
Waverley - 3
Barker - 2
Talk about sitting on the fence - are you conceding it was heavily influenced?
More than 1/3 of the players were from Knox.
8 = heavily influenced.
And if you take the next most influential team they just beat Grammar 2 weeks ago and lost to them in the same fixture last year.

Boooind

Frank Nicholson (4)
U may be right @NIS. Couldn't remember if he did his knee before or after the Rep program.
I think it was before but he seems to have regained full ROM of his knee through the effective use of PNF and dynamic flexibility exercises in rehab.

S

sidelineview

Talk about sitting on the fence - are you conceding it was heavily influenced?
More than 1/3 of the players were from Knox.
8 = heavily influenced.
And if you take the next most influential team they just beat Grammar 2 weeks ago and lost to them in the same fixture last year.

I didn't concede anything ... if you think one third Knox players is the definition of heavily influenced then so be it. It was significant, that's for sure, but they were all CAS players, so what's the point?
CAS still won.

Just for the record the make up of the GPS team was:

Kings players - 6
Newington - 5
St Ign - 4
Scots - 4
Grammar - 1
Shore - 1

Heavily influenced by Kings and New ? significantly influenced by ...? They were all GPS players and they lost.

Wouldn't each year see a different ratio of players from each GPS and CAS school represented?

Status
Not open for further replies.