• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
There is that. And also, and I expect to be howled down here, some people want the social justice and help for less fortunate that some schools seek to instil in their students. The sport element often sits diagonally opposite to these lofty goals.
Diagonally?
Diametrically?
Education is the 29 thousand reasons Bj not the sport

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
N
I didn't concede anything . if you think one third Knox players is the definition of heavily influenced then so be it. It was significant, that's for sure, but they were all CAS players, so what's the point?
CAS still won.

Just for the record the make up of the GPS team was:

Kings players - 6
Newington - 5
St Ign - 4
Scots - 4
Grammar - 1
Shore - 1

Heavily influenced by Kings and New ? significantly influenced by .? They were all GPS players and they lost.

Wouldn't each year see a different ratio of players from each GPS and CAS school represented?
No Joe boys? Must be a first.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
I gather Tim Gavin's son (Archie) is playing in the Scots backs .. wasn't he a forward in 2015?

I like the look of Scots 2nds backline ... particularly big Winston and the Baker boy.

$cots may not have the big stars of recent years ... but good depth might see them fare better than most are predicting

re the Nursery (i.e. 16s) my mail was that Strang played against Kings ... but yes the other 2 are in rehab, which won't help the 16As chances

did Savala trial for opens? should of stayed at Waverley :mad:

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
I gather Tim Gavin's son (Archie) is playing in the Scots backs .. wasn't he a forward in 2015?

I like the look of Scots 2nds backline . particularly big Winston and the Baker boy.

$cots may not have the big stars of recent years . but good depth might see them fare better than most are predicting

re the Nursery (i.e. 16s) my mail was that Strang played against Kings . but yes the other 2 are in rehab, which won't help the 16As chances

did Savala trial for opens? should of stayed at Waverley :mad:

Scots 2nd XV beat View and Kings in trials, plus all NZ opponents during tour. Savala yet to play anywhere due to injury. Archie Gavin played 13 in 1st XV against Kings last Saturday

Boooind

Frank Nicholson (4)
Just wondering, has anyone been watching Oscar Halbmeyer play recently? Really keen to see how he does this season returning from a broken toe.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I'm not sure where you get your info rating the schools I listed. They all play in very different comps. so many top schools are insulated from many other "TOP" schools. Some of the schools Kings played had English school boy reps in their squad and many had U18 players who are contracted to the major English union sides. Scrolling through the web looking at school rankings and drawing your conclusions is no substitute for seeing games and players with your own eyes.

BTW..I would rate the schools we played in the following order based on what i saw:

1. Queen Ethelburga's
  2. Byanston
  3. St Edwards
  4. Dulwich
  5. Loughborogh
And that's no taking anything away from any of them as they were all very worth opponents
More importantly Azzuri - how did you rate their canteens? Any pies? (with or without mushy peas) A nice light pasta in Italy.

Your report is incomplete.:)

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I think the reality is that the GPS/CAS gulf is wider at Opens than ever before but not below that. Think it reasonable to assume that the relative influx of talented rugby players who appear in GPS Opens makes the gap appear. Two years ago CAS 16s beat GPS 16s.

Although in the 16s tournament last year

CAS
lost to ISA
lost to President's B (aka GPS B)
drew with CHS II

President's XV A (aka GPS A)
def CHS II by 30 points
def CHS 1 by 30 points
def ISA by 20 points

So even following your logic, the gap seems to be widening.

Interesting that CAS supporters are still dining out on a narrow win in 2014. The caravan has moved on.

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
More importantly Azzuri - how did you rate their canteens? Any pies? (with or without mushy peas) A nice light pasta in Italy.

Your report is incomplete.:)

Sadly @QH the antipodean passion for tender chunks of stewed wombat wrapped in flaky pastry doesn't appear to have taken off over in Old Blighty or the ancestral home of the Rampaging Azzuri.

Both the Poms and Eye Thais need to get their game day noshfests sorted because standing on the permafrost sidelines without some proper chow in the belly to keep the sub-cockle regions from getting frost bite would be deemed cruel and unusual punishment in any other developed county.

The post game hosting was generally in the school dining hall serving up traditional high brow English Cuisine of bangers and mash etc with the Italians banging on a trough full of pasta dishes.(although sensibly the Italians did have a bar serving a cheeky little Valpolicella to help defrost the supporters crew)

All in all I give the game day food in both countries 2 salt encrusted anchovies out of 5 !!!!

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I didn't concede anything . if you think one third Knox players is the definition of heavily influenced then so be it. It was significant, that's for sure, but they were all CAS players, so what's the point?
CAS still won.

Just for the record the make up of the GPS team was:

Kings players - 6
Newington - 5
St Ign - 4
Scots - 4
Grammar - 1
Shore - 1

Heavily influenced by Kings and New ? significantly influenced by .? They were all GPS players and they lost.

Wouldn't each year see a different ratio of players from each GPS and CAS school represented?

So Knox had 2 more than the next nearest school in both systems.
You've left out at least one from SJC.
Im not sure what your point is: perhaps you could enlighten me?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Sadly @QH the antipodean passion for tender chunks of stewed wombat wrapped in flaky pastry doesn't appear to have taken off over in Old Blighty or the ancestral home of the Rampaging Azzuri.

Both the Poms and Eye Thais need to get their game day noshfests sorted because standing on the permafrost sidelines without some proper chow in the belly to keep the sub-cockle regions from getting frost bite would be deemed cruel and unusual punishment in any other developed county.

The post game hosting was generally in the school dining hall serving up traditional high brow English Cuisine of bangers and mash etc with the Italians banging on a trough full of pasta dishes.(although sensibly the Italians did have a bar serving a cheeky little Valpolicella to help defrost the supporters crew)

All in all I give the game day food in both countries 2 salt encrusted anchovies out of 5 !!!!

Sounds like hot soup and medicinal brandy should have been served.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.