• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Belshaw

Bob Loudon (25)
A "special" 3's match report with the Father of the 3's Comp in mind. To assist "Father Jim" Belshaw's early "triangulations" to spot a winner for the 3's in Season 2016, noting his beloved TAS take on Kings away in next week's Round 2, and host Scots at home in Round 3 the week after.

Lovely report, CJ. You really brought the game alive.A lot to watch for.

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
Strap yourselves in, here are my predictions:

GPS 1st XV

1. Todd (S)
2. Lombardi (K)
3. Helu (N)
4. Fenn (I)
5. Brown (K)
6. Serhon (N)
7. Pietsch (K)
8. Lawson (N)
9. Haskins (E)
10. Wilkinson (J)
11. Taukamo (N)
12. Sheldon (G)
13. Terry (I)
14. Jaffer-Williams (J)
15. Simonsson (N)

GPS 2nd XV

1. Holley (J)
2. The Joeys hooker that isn't Crotti
3. Edwards (E)
4. Crawford (S)
5. Suttor (E)
6. Rorke (I)
7. Skelly (K)
8. Miller (S)
9. Brown (K)
10. Shannon (S)
11. Pirina (I)
12. View inside back whose name I cannot recall
13. Duvall (N)
14. Gregory (E)
15. Rixon (E)

The only certainties (in my humble opinion) are Pietsch, Helu, Terry and Nick Wilkinson (it'll be a cold day in hell when the captain of rugby at Joeys doesn't make the GPS 1sts).

Not entirely how they'll work Taukamo into the mix - he hasn't been convincing so far in the centres for New. Simonsson is highly likely. I think they'll opt for Haskins > Brown simply because he didn't start for Kings last year. Sheldon is highly uncertain since he's played against 3rds for a few years now.

I think Fenn will be shifted to 4 to make room in the hotly contested back row, but choosing a front row will be difficult. Unsure about Todd and Lombardi and very unsure about Lawson.

I'm unconvinced by my 2nd XV as well. Your thoughts, reader?

Couple of quick thoughts.

1. Thanks for having a crack. Your thoughts are different to mine, but they are your thoughts and will be respected as such.
2. 5 in 1st XV from New seems a lot given they are essentially currently in last spot. Ok. Second last when for and against taken into account. I know. Early days. So they may not stay there. But i would hope that come round 5 when rep teams are picked, that selections correlate somewhat with team positions on ladder.
3. Your selections would be much closer to actual IMO if selections were happening now, like previous years, as they seem to be a who's who of returning 2015 rep players.
4. By end of round 5 some kids not on selectors radar 2 weeks ago will be seriously in the mix. Or should be at least.
5. Players that I've seen so far that aren't on your list and IMO could include Kings 4, 5 and 15, Scots (edited: 2 - totally agree CJ - see below) 3, Joeys 8 and 12, View 15.

Anyway only time will tell.

Cheers

George Grant

Ward Prentice (10)

GPS 1st XV

1. Todd (S)
2. Lombardi (K)
3. Helu (N)
4. Fenn (I)
5. Brown (K)
6. Serhon (N)
7. Pietsch (K)
8. Lawson (N)
9. Haskins (E)
10. Wilkinson (J)
11. Taukamo (N)
12. Sheldon (G)
13. Terry (I)
14. Jaffer-Williams (J)
15. Simonsson (N)

GPS 2nd XV

1. Holley (J)
3. Edwards (E)
4. Crawford (S)
5. Suttor (E)
6. Rorke (I)
7. Skelly (K)
8. Miller (S)
9. Brown (K)
10. Shannon (S)
11. Pirina (I)
13. Duvall (N)
14. Gregory (E)
15. Rixon (E)

The only certainties (in my humble opinion) are Pietsch, Helu, Terry and Nick Wilkinson (it'll be a cold day in hell when the captain of rugby at Joeys doesn't make the GPS 1sts).

Not entirely how they'll work Taukamo into the mix - he hasn't been convincing so far in the centres for New. Simonsson is highly likely. I think they'll opt for Haskins > Brown simply because he didn't start for Kings last year. Sheldon is highly uncertain since he's played against 3rds for a few years now.

I think Fenn will be shifted to 4 to make room in the hotly contested back row, but choosing a front row will be difficult. Unsure about Todd and Lombardi and very unsure about Lawson.

For Riverview:
Despite it only being 2 rounds in, for a team 2/2 beating the two better teams of the comp to only have 4 players in both teams is quite dubious.

Surely the other 2/3rds of the Riverview back row (Chris Scott, Charlie Rorke) are in the mix for 1's/2's? They outperformed their opposing numbers against Newington and Joeys in most categories, and Rorke also scored the winning try against Joeys. Other names that come to mind: Silk (2ndrow) and Cutler (front row), Ollie Smeallie (15)

Think the inside back you're referring to at 12 for 2nd XV is actually the 10, Tom Lenehan, and judging by current form will contend for the 1st team even

Kings: Rhys Miller comes to mind, an incumbent from last years GPS 3rd XV

Newington: Bailey Kuenzle, pending injury, should be well up there

Joeys: McTaggart and Number 8 will be contending

Both have sprung onto the scene as up late and are very dangerous against any opposition

However it is early on, and as weeks progress the shape of the teams will appear

Not in straight

Vay Wilson (31)

GPS 1st XV

1. Todd (S)
2. Lombardi (K)
3. Helu (N)
4. Fenn (I)
5. Brown (K)
6. Serhon (N)
7. Pietsch (K)
8. Lawson (N)
9. Haskins (E)
10. Wilkinson (J)
11. Taukamo (N)
12. Sheldon (G)
13. Terry (I)
14. Jaffer-Williams (J)
15. Simonsson (N)

GPS 2nd XV

1. Holley (J)
3. Edwards (E)
4. Crawford (S)
5. Suttor (E)
6. Rorke (I)
7. Skelly (K)
8. Miller (S)
9. Brown (K)
10. Shannon (S)
11. Pirina (I)
13. Duvall (N)
14. Gregory (E)
15. Rixon (E)

From what I saw yesterday, The only certainty is Jaffer-Williams. And I am pretty sure he wont be on the wing.

Cash

Sydney Middleton (9)

Cheers
I was unaware that the teams were to be announced after round 5, a source told me that it was round 3 - this pretty much throws my predictions out the metaphorical window. The 5 New boys were selected predominantly based on form from last year, with all five having decorated resumes.

Cash

Sydney Middleton (9)
For Riverview:
Despite it only being 2 rounds in, for a team 2/2 beating the two better teams of the comp to only have 4 players in both teams is quite dubious.

However it is early on, and as weeks progress the shape of the teams will appear
Lenehan is correct, thanks, and I thought Miller graduated. I assumed the teams were to be chosen by r3 (see post above) which is why I didn't include Kuenzle.

On that note, what's the extent of Barnes's injury? Gone for the season? Or back in time for selections?

Crackerjack

Bill Watson (15)
^^^^^^
Kudos @Cash for sparking the contentions. No pressure on the GPS Selectors!! Nothing new there. :)

I'll take issue just with the nomination of the hooker for the GPS 1's and put Charlie Jeavons-Fellows(S) right into that mix.

I'm not writing the match report from yesterday's Kings v Scots game (and good luck Azzuri, keeping it real, man), but Charlie was my best player by some margin from a losing Scots side. And he performs it week in, week out. Indefatigable, and skilfull. Brutal go-forward; a classy ball-player; a killer tackler. A courageous hooker's hooker.

If the selectors are looking for a natural born leader who can lift a pack forward on the broad back of his acts and deeds, then the selectors need look no further than Charlie J-F, and he will undoubtedly show them the same again next week at home hosting Newington.

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
Lenehan is correct, thanks, and I thought Miller graduated. I assumed the teams were to be chosen by r3 (see post above) which is why I didn't include Kuenzle.

On that note, what's the extent of Barnes's injury? Gone for the season? Or back in time for selections?

The teams are announced on the evening of round 2.1 (18 June). Fair to suggest the selectors would have already been hard at it and should have possibles and probables penciled in by round 3 giving them 2 additional games to confirm their initial views. What is certain is that players are not always picked in the positions they currently play for their school side with selectors also apparently valuing players who have demonstrated the versatility to perform in other positions

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
The teams are announced on the evening of round 2.1 (18 June). Fair to suggest the selectors would have already been hard at it and should have possibles and probables penciled in by round 3 giving them 2 additional games to confirm their initial views. What is certain is that players are not always picked in the positions they currently play for their school side with selectors also apparently valuing players who have demonstrated the versatility to perform in other positions

And there will always be a few unlucky to miss out and a couple fortunate to get in, but that is the nature of selections. We all have slightly different perspectives and opinions and the selectors are no different. No matter who is picked there will be joy and disappointment.

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
^^^^^^
Kudos @Cash for sparking the contentions. No pressure on the GPS Selectors!! Nothing new there. :)

I'll take issue just with the nomination of the hooker for the GPS 1's and put Charlie Jeavons-Fellows(S) right into that mix.

I'm not writing the match report from yesterday's Kings v Scots game (and good luck Azzuri, keeping it real, man), but Charlie was my best player by some margin from a losing Scots side. And he performs it week in, week out. Indefatigable, and skilfull. Brutal go-forward; a classy ball-player; a killer tackler. A courageous hooker's hooker.

If the selectors are looking for a natural born leader who can lift a pack forward on the broad back of his acts and deeds, then the selectors need look no further than Charlie J-F, and he will undoubtedly show them the same again next week at home hosting Newington.

Totally agree CJ. His work rate is unbelievable - in tight and loose.

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
AAGPS TEAM OF THE WEEK

I see someone on the CAS thread doing a CAS team of the week. Probably a futile exercise with no real purpose, but for the sake of discussion I have attempted to make up a team solely from the Honorable mentions in the G&G Match reports. So have to move a few positions around and I do appear to be 1 Prop short.

I have used 3 names from each school. Some reports mentioned more than 3 so I had to pick who I thought were the best 3 according to the report.

Interesting to see nearly all the backrowers came from winning sides.

Comment as you see fit,

1 Helu (N)
2 Jeavons-Fellows (S)
4. Grey (N)
5. Suttor (E)
6. Peitch (K)
7. Green (S)/ Rorke (I)
8 Fenn (I)/ Lawson (N)
9 Brown (K)
10. Lenehan (I)
11. Gregory (E)/ Day (J)
12. Sinclair (E)
13. Jaffer-Williams (J)
14. McTaggert (J)
15. Burnett (S)/Osborne (K)

@NIS are you going to do same this week. If not I am happy to do. Great idea. Plus could indicate times/weeks previously in TOTW

Not in straight

Vay Wilson (31)
@NIS are you going to do same this week. If not I am happy to do. Great idea. Plus could indicate times/weeks previously in TOTW

Rich_E, you can do this week if you like.

Ive got a bit to do with Tips.

Yes I think it has some merit, the boys that keep featuring as best players for their team should also feature prominently in 1 & 2 selections, I would think

Rachet_84

Ward Prentice (10)

1. Thanks for having a crack. Your thoughts are different to mine, but they are your thoughts and will be respected as such.
2. 5 in 1st XV from New seems a lot given they are essentially currently in last spot. Ok. Second last when for and against taken into account. I know. Early days. So they may not stay there. But i would hope that come round 5 when rep teams are picked, that selections correlate somewhat with team positions on ladder.
3. Your selections would be much closer to actual IMO if selections were happening now, like previous years, as they seem to be a who's who of returning 2015 rep players.
4. By end of round 5 some kids not on selectors radar 2 weeks ago will be seriously in the mix. Or should be at least.
5. Players that I've seen so far that aren't on your list and IMO could include Kings 4, 5 and 15, Scots (edited: 2 - totally agree CJ - see below) 3, Joeys 8 and 12, View 15.

Anyway only time will tell.

Cheers

Rich_E I think Joeys have the best backline in the comp in both attack and defense. Anyone of those backs could be in either GPS team. As you say by round 5 these selections will be made and not before..... My inference is that hopefully the selection are not made on last years form or reputation, reward the players that are in form now.

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)

Yes I think it has some merit, the boys that keep featuring as best players for their team should also feature prominently in 1 & 2 selections, I would think

Happy to do it mate. I reckon it is a really good concept and should get even more interesting as each week passes. I agree that it would/should be a good selection indicator. And a great conversation prompter when selections announced

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
Rich_E I think Joeys have the best backline in the comp in both attack and defense. Anyone of those backs could be in either GPS team. As you say by round 5 these selections will be made and not before... My inference is that hopefully the selection are not made on last years form or reputation, reward the players that are in form now.

I reckon joey's backs are top shelf. Not suggesting you've not seen all teams play. But i reckon Kings and View are damn good too from what I've seen.

Like you, I hope selections reflect form over reputation. But good thing this year is that with rep teams to be announced later thus year, the selectors will have more opportunity to consider former over later.

OAUI

Allen Oxlade (6)
Jack came on in first last week when bad injury occurred to Anese at centre.
Man played #10, moving Steele Park to #12. The Kings team didn't lose much with the change. For me Steel Park and Mann are very equal in ability but if the team needed a goal kicker then maybe you put Mann slightly in front but K. Brown #9 has been excellent with the boot since taking over the duties. It would be hard to drop any of the backs who are going well, so with Anese's injury ruling him out for a few weeks, coaches slotted Miller back in, who I'm pretty sure would have gone back into the team somewhere after returning from a head knock. Kings then have the luxury of having Mann as very good reserve.

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)

I partly agree with you @NIS in your suggestion that regular TOTW players could feature heavily in 1's and 2's however don't feel anyone (including myself) is dispassionate enough to separate personal and school support from their picks. We can't seriously be suggesting review writers are now the best people to select rep sides?

Selectors have a seriously tough job in my opinion because it's NOT just about picking 15 "superstars" and hope they will play well together as a team. Some superstars only look like superstars because of the team they are playing, the opposition they are playing or the team mates that support them and clean up their mistakes. Backyard hacks like us can postulate, elevate and masturbate all we like as we don't have a chance of seeing the full picture.

There will no doubt be lots of new faces in the mix this year as the vast bulk of ones and twos left school last year, but there are quite a few current yet 12's who were GPS reps last year, presidents and NSW schools the year before and are still playing very well so the usual talk about selectors picking lads on reputation seems a little silly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom