• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Oxymoron statement.

I wish I could see it - but i suspect explaining it would lead us off into Voldemort territory.
There is no GPS.
There is an AAGPS - as the title to this thread makes clear.
Until the rugby tail started to wag the education dog this was not a problem.

I should say the concentration of rugby in 6 (or even 8 or 12) schools is a disaster for rugby in the wider community

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Just because CAS teams haven't been competitive against GPS teams this year,doesn't mean that will always be the case.
It was only a few years ago that CAS 16'S defeated GPS 16's.
And Knox,Trinity and Waverley have lots of young talent coming thru the grades.
I think it would be good thing for schoolboy rugby.Have 2 divisions with a promotion and relegation system and include not only GPS and CAS teams but also some of the stronger ISA and CHS schools.
It seems from your comments Quick Hands,that you think that GPS rugby schools are the be all and end all.
Looking at the Waratahs and Wallaby teams of late,only a small percentage of players come from the GPS system.In fact,many come from CHS schools out west.
And I went to a GPS school..

Still dining out on that 16s win 2 years ago?

What I'm actually saying is that if the issue is mismatches, than how does a proposal in which teams from one groups of schools rarely defeat teams from another group of schools and One group of schools has more teams throughout the grades than another group of schools (a) decrease mismatches and (b) making logistics any easier?

random2

Johnnie Wallace (23)
From what I heard both GPS and CAS would go back to a one round competition with 6 teams each. Both comps would run over 10 weeks with competition games being played every second week. In between that each school would play one from the other competition e.g Joeys draw could look like this - View, Barker, Kings, Waverly, Scots, Knox etc. Not sure if there would be a combined comp within that but both CAS and GPS competitions would continue to run separately.

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
From what I heard both GPS and CAS would go back to a one round competition with 6 teams each. Both comps would run over 10 weeks with competition games being played every second week. In between that each school would play one from the other competition e.g Joeys draw could look like this - View, Barker, Kings, Waverly, Scots, Knox etc. Not sure if there would be a combined comp within that but both CAS and GPS competitions would continue to run separately.

Nothing is impossible but in IMHO CAS and AAGPS co-operating on the life and death struggle known as Schoolboy Rugby would be more than difficult to imagine without the aid of a $500 dollar a day meth habit.:confused: Just saying!

Rob hart

Ted Thorn (20)
Gents (and rugby mum) for those interested TSC has launched a live results feed on Twitter no idea if it will be as good as joeys but might keep Azzuris fingertip on his phone and off the pie come 3.15 Saturday ......... Feed is @ScotsSportLive

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
Think if you have only GPS and CAS you don't need to leave aside ISA

Agree re concentration of talent being unhelpful for rugby long term, so a viable 3 or 4 association would presumably assist, though logistics would be problematic.

Ian Robertson

Bob McCowan (2)
I Would love to see a knock-out comp involving CAS, GPS and ISA over the top of the their normal competition, so if they were to lose a game in that they would still have their Local premiership to play for and vice versa. If schools were to be drawn from a hat, this would mix the schools around in some competitive rugby and not lose the tradition of their normal comp.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I Would love to see a knock-out comp involving CAS, GPS and ISA over the top of the their normal competition, so if they were to lose a game in that they would still have their Local premiership to play for and vice versa. If schools were to be drawn from a hat, this would mix the schools around in some competitive rugby and not lose the tradition of their normal comp.

I know, lets cal it the Waratah Shield,
We could bring back import tariffs too.

Not in straight

Vay Wilson (31)

Ireland run a Schools cup knockout comp. They run a Senior cup and a Junior Cup (U16).

One of the biggest events in the sporting calendar. Cup final usually played at Donnybrook and gets televised.

I think there is some merit in that idea.

Ian Robertson

Bob McCowan (2)
Ireland run a Schools cup knockout comp. They run a Senior cup and a Junior Cup (U16).

One of the biggest events in the sporting calendar. Cup final usually played at Donnybrook and gets televised.

I think there is some merit in that idea.

How good would that be. I am sure there would be some numbers to attend those games if it got going!

Not in straight

Vay Wilson (31)
Sure is NIS. I was going to make that point but felt post was long enough.

Back rowers appeared to have quieter week and backs (particularly the centres) featured more prominently this week.

Would appear as though timing and combinations in backs are going from strength to strength with each round.

We need to remember it is all very subjective. 1 writer picking who he thought played best games.

It is not always easy to name 3 boys efforts as better than the other 12. I did it last week, and I was struggling to name 1 over someone else.

I am sure back rowers will be back figuring strongly nest week.

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Strap yourselves in, here are my predictions:

GPS 1st XV

1. Todd (S)
2. Lombardi (K)
3. Helu (N)
4. Fenn (I)
5. Brown (K)
6. Serhon (N)
7. Pietsch (K)
8. Lawson (N)
9. Haskins (E)
10. Wilkinson (J)
11. Taukamo (N)
12. Sheldon (G)
13. Terry (I)
14. Jaffer-Williams (J)
15. Simonsson (N)
Its been 2 weeks since the last set of predictions. So with 1 round to go before selections are finalised, here are my predictions for GPS Firsts based on the form I have seen (be gentle)

1. Edwards (E)
2. Jeavons (S)
3. Helu (N)
4. Brown (K)
5. Suttor (E)
6. Green (S)
7. Pietsch (K)
8. Fenn (I)
9. Haskins (E)
10. Wilkinson (J)
11. Day (J)
12. Jaffer-Williams (J)
13. Terry (I)
14. Taukomo (N)
15. Osborne (K)

Rachet_84

Ward Prentice (10)
Its been 2 weeks since the last set of predictions. So with 1 round to go before selections are finalised, here are my predictions for GPS Firsts based on the form I have seen (be gentle)

1. Edwards (E)
2. Jeavons (S)
3. Helu (N)
4. Brown (K)
5. Suttor (E)
6. Green (S)
7. Pietsch (K)
8. Fenn (I)
9. Haskins (E)
10. Wilkinson (J)
11. Day (J)
12. Jaffer-Williams (J)
13. Terry (I)
14. Taukomo (N)
15. Osborne (K)

Armchair Selector you may as well hit us up your GPS Seconds ?

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Armchair Selector you may as well hit us up your GPS Seconds ?

Hard enough doing the Firsts!

1. Todd (S)
2. Lombardi (K)
3. ? Anyone got an opinion with experience in the dark arts....
4. Crawford (S)
5. Suttor (E)
6. Rorke (I)
7. Serhon (N)
8. Lawson (N)
9. Brown (K)
10.Shannon (S)
11. Pirina (I)
12. Reilly (J)
13. Lawson (N)
14. Smeallie (I)
15. Simonson (N)

Apologies to Grammar and TAS, I havent seen their games. I saw High....

Not in straight

Vay Wilson (31)
Hard enough doing the Firsts!

1. Todd (S)
2. Lombardi (K)
3. ? Anyone got an opinion with experience in the dark arts..
4. Crawford (S)
5. Suttor (E)
6. Rorke (I)
7. Serhon (N)
8. Lawson (N)
9. Brown (K)
10.Shannon (S)
11. Pirina (I)
12. Reilly (J)
13. Lawson (N)
14. Smeallie (I)
15. Simonson (N)

Apologies to Grammar and TAS, I havent seen their games. I saw High..

I always thought Lawson was good, but didnt know he could cover 2 positions at the same time

Status
Not open for further replies.