• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob hart

Billy Sheehan (19)
What happened in the 2s RH? Scots have really dominated up until today.

They had great possession but just could not keep the ball in hand .......they looked surprised they were not winning lots of cut out passes etc not suited to the weather ......... It was painfull to watch ........ Taking nothing away from Riverview they played very smart good rugby and deserved the win they are a very good side ......

Rob hart

Billy Sheehan (19)
Touché with the firsts. Riverveiw 2nds played the strategically sensible way and realised that they had to play the game in the pigs. No 99.95 ATAR needed there. Scots seconds and Riverviews 1sts unfortunately believed otherwise and learnt the lesson that certain conditions call for 10 man, or indeed 8 man rugby. Watching riverview 1sts back line today was like watching a psychopath doing the same thing over and over again but expecting a different outcome every time. They could have and should have won that game but completely stuffed it. Not taking anything away from Scot because their defense was outstanding. I'm sure that a lot of Scots supporters today think that they dodged a bullet. But good on them they won in crazy conditions.

I'm sure "we" dodged a bullet ......... 30 mins of the second half was spent in Scots half, 25 of that was in Scots 22 ........ I was speechless that they held on ..... Wave after wave it just seemed like it would never stop till View scored or got a penalty ....... They got neither in the end, the Scots defence was unbelievable ..... That said we definitely dodged a bullet today Riverview IMO are still favourites for the shield but there no doubt that TSC is improving game by game and has more home games than away in the run home .........

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Congratulations to all refs and touchies who took to the field today. Refing in the rain and wind isn't easy, and then to back up and shiver up and down the sideline for the next game is just adding pain when a hot drink is called for.
An honourable mention to all posters who took their hands out of their pockets to keep us updated on this blog.

Crackerjack

Bill Watson (15)
Scott's v View, Round 5, 1st XV Match notes ('unofficial', but as I saw it)

I was hoping the sight of all the umbrellas at Bellevue Hill today may've been a sign that the Bacardi Rum sample gals were here with mega-sized piña colada cocktails. Alas and alack. Conditions were more for Bundy Bear to be strutting his stuff.

View opened the first 8 minutes encamped in Scots half; much of that on and inside the Scots 22.

But as is the classic 'run against the play' way these things sometimes go, Scots initial forays into View's half were finished off with big Tom Yassmin (14) bringing the home crowd to a petite roar with a cameo through the heart of the View D to open the scoring, and give the View lads and @Byron W a serious "WTF?" moment. ;)

View's in-goal huddle worked a treat, as from the kick-off, View exploited the short side and in-boarded to their best on the day, Charlie Rorke (playing #6). Meat time, a missed conversion into the gale, and Scots held slender at 7-5.

Scots' scrum and line-out were standing up well to the scrutiny of the vaunted 2016 View pack. They were better than merely 'holding their own', but without being dominant. In the battle of the Piggies, an 'honourable' draw on the day - is there such a thing?

The Gold lads had a perfect-for-the-conditions, rolling-maul happening, with pilferer-in-chief, Charlie Jeavons-Felows (2), maxxing out down back. For the second home-game in a row, the home-boys were rewarded for effort with a pulling-down penalty try. A gift conversion to quality spot kicker, Nic Shannon (10), and Scots led 14-5.

Both teams were settled into the conditions, but Scots' kicking game, with chief-rooster, Shannon, being used to take advantage from the howler aft, pinned the Blue and White deep in their half.

The hard yards being done by the 'heavies' up the middle, plus the prevailing conditions and willing Scots defence, were working in concert to neutralise View's lethal backs, especially the dangerous View Skipper Will Terry (13), being well held by Scots' Archie Gavin (13) whenever the merry View backline paraded their array of skills.

At HT, some free performance assessments from View coaching staff and the veritable gift of a howling wind up their clackers for 35' in H2, and View came out after oranges, all wet-weather footy - held tight, in close, with the occasional roost down into the Scots' corners to re-set and turn up the psi - that's 'pounds per square inch' for the non-engineers and U20 students. :)

End result? a rolling-maul led, then pick-and-drive recycling, second try to blind-side flanker Charlie Rorke (6), followed by a gift conversion to Flyhalf Tom Lenehan (10), and 5' in to the second stanza, at 14-12 to Scots, the finish-line must've looked a helluva long way away for the home-boys.

Both sides were playing tough, wet-weather, some may even say "ugly", Rugby. ;) But in the conditions, this was always gonna be a Ground and Pound-a-thon at Bellevue Hill.

View went all 'territorial' with the wind; and Scots went all 'stand and deliver' last line of defence. Scots' D was led by pocket-battleship Hughie Green (7) who'd tackle a Monster Truck doing a wheelie if asked; and by examplers Skipper Harry Todd (1), who seems more comfortable each week leading, and hooker, Charlie Jeavons-Fellows. Conditions favoured the 'brave', but only if the brave were 'respectful' of the conditions.

With View hunkered again deep in Scots territory, the "Phweeeeeep" of the Ref's call of time came as blessed relief to the lads in Gold, plus all the home supporters, but especially to Toddy's mother standing close by this particular correspondent. Her boy and his teammates had just shaken up this year's Comp, and Scots look very much "alive" at the halfway in Season 2016; the closest for years!

Warm pies, if he can spare them!, are on Azzuri and his Kings at BH in Round 7! ;)

Crackerjack

Bill Watson (15)
Poor kid; feel for him (and his parents!). Nick has always gone at it really hard. All good wishes to him for a speedy recovery.

Just a follow up on Nick Carruthers, the Outside Centre for the Grammar 1's who copped the nasty injury (with deluxe dental work involved) in the final pre-season 3's game over at HH, now just under a month ago.

I understand that Nick who's in Y12, was "pressing" (SGS Coaches, trainers, his Mum, his Dad, anyone who'd lend an ear, etc.) to be pulling on his boots and jersey today at home at Weigall against New.

Can anyone confirm if Nick took the field today? (And if he did, molto kudos to him. Carpe diem!)

Crackerjack

Bill Watson (15)
Absolutely no flies on New this year. Again. They are solid across the park. Dismiss them at your peril.
A reminder of the "seer" in our midst. On occasions, yes, a myopic, Sky-Blue & White-tinged, seeing-eye dog-assisted, good-self with a ravenous appetite, but a pretty fair judge of sound Rugby rib-eyes, sirloins and flank-steaks nonetheless.

Az assured us early on (see his 9 May post above), that New were not to be dismissed. 3 Rounds in and at 0-3, that was one thing, but at the 'turn', the top of the home straight in this year's Comp, at 2-3, I'd say Az was right.

"Round 2" starts next week, and assuming they haven't all floated off down the Parramatta River, Az's Kings get to stay home and be 'the living proof' to deal with the 'threat' to all teams that New poses in all their 'return' matches.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Just a follow up on Nick Carruthers, the Outside Centre for the Grammar 1's who copped the nasty injury (with deluxe dental work involved) in the final pre-season 3's game over at HH, now just under a month ago.

I understand that Nick who's in Y12, was "pressing" (SGS Coaches, trainers, his Mum, his Dad, anyone who'd lend an ear, etc.) to be pulling on his boots and jersey today at home at Weigall against New.

Can anyone confirm if Nick took the field today? (And if he did, molto kudos to him. Carpe diem!)
He did

Dingasden

Ward Prentice (10)
little discussion about the joeys vs newington game on here. thought more people would be talking about how the newington prop scored a hat trick and set up the only other try scored by newington today
Is that the TH? He's a real powerhouse runner.

Johnny come lately

Jimmy Flynn (14)
image.jpeg

A Shore pie watching the early matches for those who missed the boat...

Verdict: A good day for a pie.
dick smith sauce ok but no Rosella. Crust and lid top shelf but the big issue is the filling. Tasted more like a vege pie than a beef one.

Harsh I know but honesty needed regarding such an important topic.

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
Not sure what you refer to.
E are odds on favourite for POTY.
Can not recall N even having a Pie option. Even though J entry for POTY is a basic commercial product, an entry must trump no entry.

IMHO New may have the unwanted prize of POTY wooden spoon locked down.

I was wondering when the issue of New not having an entry in the POTY may raise it's ugly head. They sought to fly under the radar by using the "Big Newie" as a smoke screen.

However there is no fooling the POTY judges who are all astute Pieoligists. I thought View may have a contender with their POTY aspiratant named the "Chunky Beef" but it too failed the test, with its insipid orange coloured gravy and filling made from chicken lips and old toe nails. Not one chunk of chunky beef or any other dead animal to be found.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Reports coming in of hearty soup being offered for sale at some of the grounds yesterday.

Sensible logistics and marketing response for the conditions.

Any broth reports? It will take a good brew to beat @belly2blues bride's home made soup on offer at Merrylands RSL park canteen in the Shute Shield competition.

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
View attachment 7943

A Shore pie watching the early matches for those who missed the boat.

Verdict: A good day for a pie.
dick smith sauce ok but no Rosella. Crust and lid top shelf but the big issue is the filling. Tasted more like a vege pie than a beef one.

Harsh I know but honesty needed regarding such an important topic.

@JCL if there was a law against mocking the gold standard in Rugby chow you'd be sitting strapped into wooden chair with you feet in water, a nice shiny steel bucket on your head and with yours truly ready to flip the switch and light up your life with 50,000 volts......and to top it off its Sunday. Have you never heard of blasphemy?:mad:

Bumpa666

Frank Row (1)
This so called, "unbeatable" scots team beaten 10-0 yesterday?? Second week in a row Riverview haven't conceded a point. What went right for I and what happened to the unbeatable S 2's?

Crackerjack

Bill Watson (15)
^^^^^
Cheers @BW. I take you at your word. No offence to the boys, but I tend to not know the visiting players well enough or on sight, so I've been damned again by the Teamlists as published in the official Match Program, which had Charles Rorke @ #7, and Christopher Scott @ #6. (Most unhelpful when scribing about visiting players, if the published info ain't correct.)
From my lofty perch on the Scots verandah yesterday, it was a bit of a struggle to ID any of the try scorers, apart from maybe big Tom Yassmin, who did rather "stand out" as captured so well in @Sidesteppas's HD vid. So as I do, when in any doubt about the scorers, I seek verification from the Results page on the AAGPS Rugby website, 'cuz I assume they get the correct info directly from the Officials / Schools involved. They have it recorded as I scribed it.
If, as you say, Rorke wore No.6 on his back yesterday, then he was my pick as View's best on the day, amd I'll edit my piece accordingly.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
This so called, "unbeatable" scots team beaten 10-0 yesterday?? Second week in a row Riverview haven't conceded a point. What went right for I and what happened to the unbeatable S 2's?

I think that Rob Hart has answered this quite well at post #1962
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.