• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

tjp8

Bob McCowan (2)
Yes I did attend, Did you see them put 30 points on CAS when Orpen came on and Wilkinson moved to 10?

Let's settle it bloke, the players picked for the starting team were there for a reason.... because they are the best. Hats off to Orpen for having a good one, but if you saw the first part of the game you'd know why the original selections made were correct. Picking Sheldon was the right decision. Come on bloke.

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
Yes I did attend, Did you see them put 30 points on CAS when Orpen came on and Wilkinson moved to 10?

Sheldon was instrumental in setting up the first two tries and if he hadn't been injured he would have continued to dismantle CAS one creaking floorboard at a time.

He was the form 10 of the GPS and the correct selection for I's IMO. The fact that the backline could be reshuffled, Orpen injected and still function well enough to keep the scoreboard ticking over to almost the half ton demonstrates the depth across the GPS.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Where I can I find who is coaching which GPS teams?
Not on the official AAGPS website

I thought that I read somewhere that Brad Gill (N) was the GPS 1s coach, but can't find where I read it.

The encyclopaedic brain of HJ may need to be consulted.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
It is far too obvious you have some sort of connection with Sheldon. Either father or close friend. This wouldn't be a problem if you weren't criticising the team by saying they only won "before CAS were tired". That's rugby.. GPS played good footy, and were tough to stop, therefore making them tired. This is not to discredit Sheldon - very good player, and wish him best of luck with recovery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He seems to be clarifying and/or challenging the views of others rather than instigating criticism of others?

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
Where I can I find who is coaching which GPS teams?
Not on the official AAGPS website

As per the program:

GPS white coaches: Andy Connors (I) Ross Hopkins (I)
GPS Blue coaches: Greg Thompson (j) Tim Anderson (j)
GPS 2's coaches: Brian smith (s) Ed Brenac (s) Ed White (s)
GPS 1's coaches: Ben Manion (N) Mark Bell (N)

tjp8

Bob McCowan (2)
[Quoted deleted post]

We're all neutrals here bloke. I couldn't agree more with IS's comments, the CAS died completely, and thus I don't think it was the injection of Orpen that dismantled the CAS, but rather the GPS team's fitness and skill under fatigue against a tiring outfit. When you look at how GPS teams train compared with CAS teams, it's no wonder they were able to outplay them in the second half. Looking at other comments, I'm not the only one to share this opinion.

Blazing Saddles

Sydney Middleton (9)
I always thought the difference in GPS / CAS would be the backs.
GPS were dominant in the tackle on defense slowing the CAS ball or turning it over, while in attack CAS had a hard time stopping the GPS ball carries. Give Wilkinson or Jaffer Williams space and they will punish.

Helu was the dominant front rower from both sides, mostly due to his great ball carries taking 2 cas players to bring him down.
From my red eyed view though the CAS 2nd row and back row dominated with Frost, Rasch, Basson and Kemeny getting a solid points decision over their GPS counterparts.
For the first time in memory CAS forwards were the same size as GPS.

But credit where credit is due, the GPS backs were to good. Perfect service by Haskins (9) to the inside backs and when Sheldon (subbed to injury) Orpen from Kings and the Joey's boys really put CAS to the sword.
Entertaining rugby.

Well done to the CAS 2nds. Clearly the better team. The 2 point margin flattered GPS there.

You managed to leave out Hugh Margin in the backrow, to my eye and certainly the people around us he and Kemeny had tremendous games and kept going right to the end.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
It is far too obvious you have some sort of connection with Sheldon. Either father or close friend. This wouldn't be a problem if you weren't criticising the team by saying they only won "before CAS were tired". That's rugby.. GPS played good footy, and were tough to stop, therefore making them tired. This is not to discredit Sheldon - very good player, and wish him best of luck with recovery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only blow ins like you dont know who I am - I've never made any secret of it.
Orpen (who was clearly MOTM for GPS IIs) came on. He had never trained with the backline. Therefore all the fancy plays had to be shelved. Also, because he went to an acceptable school he was not to be shunted onto the wing despite wearing 10 on his back, or pushed from first receiver because the word had gone out: cut the Grammar boys out. People entirely unconnected with Grammar or the player observed it from the stands and commented on it.

The try in which Sheldon was injured involved a break two out from the ruck: where did Wilkinson find his gaps later in the game.

This was not confined to 1s - in Blue v White the Grammar replacement at O/C was told to go to fullback so they could run some secret kings double cut out and avoid the Grammar boy.

You may think this is fine because the object is victory: you'd be wrong. The object is to expose the strengths of the players selected for the consideration of selectors of teams higher up. whether you approve of the school's rugby program or not and whether you think a game should be won at all costs or not.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
As per the program:

GPS white coaches: Andy Connors (I) Ross Hopkins (I)
GPS Blue coaches: Greg Thompson (j) Tim Anderson (j)
GPS 2's coaches: Brian smith (s) Ed Brenac (s) Ed White (s)
GPS 1's coaches: Ben Manion (N) Mark Bell (N)

Cheers

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Is Sheldon's second name Jack? We have had a terrible time this year with our #10's (many named Jack) ending up inTeam Rehab. He is in good company joining the likes of Jack Clancy, Jack McGregor, and Connor "Jack" O'Shea from the Under 20's with a season pass to Team Rehab.

Hoping for a speedy recovery for the poor fellow. Not making Aust Schoolboys is not a curse. Less then 1/2 them go on to Wallaby selection, and less than 1/2 the Wallabies were Aust Schoolboys.

Cream will rise to the top. I just don't get the BS that playing in a 3rd XV comp, or playing for a 1st XV at the bottom of the table makes you a bad player.

Most of the AAGPS 2nd XV are playing in the toughest Schoolboy Rugby competition for at least 1000 km in any direction, many from School 1st XVs at the top 1/2 of the table in that tough competition. Fat lot of good that did them today against 2nd rated players from a second rate Schoolboy competition.

Fair Dinkum, some people need to give themselves an uppercut and put their entitled prejudices behind them.

Status
Not open for further replies.