• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS - The Next Generation - U16 Competition, and Presidents XV Rep Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Ok, there must be 3 games on Saturday at Auckland Grammar. The first at 10:00 between NSW U16 and an Auckland side, then NZ Barbarians vs Fiji at 1:00, and Australia vs NZ at 3:00

Tractor

Bob McCowan (2)
I can confirm that the match on Saturday is against the Auckland u16 Schools team. The Auckland team has been selected from the two Auckland sides previously played by the NSW Schools 16s, which were selected from an eight-team Auckland rep tournament held recently. Although it has been mooted as a curtain-raiser to the Aust V NZ Schools "test" match I'm pretty sure it is being played where the last two matches were played at Marist Brothers Rugby Club - terrific facilities BTW - at 10:30am Saturday.
IMO stand-out players have been (apologies in advance for any bias) :
Angus Bell (winger) - very elusive, good in traffic, great hands
Jack Walsh (fly half) - good organiser, at his best when he stands a bit closer & flatter & takes the ball to the line
Angus Bell (prop) - strong scrummager, strong ball runner, has been quiet but starting to ramp up
Kyle Devine (hooker) - strong technically, high work rate, extremely good in the tight & over the ball, very hard to stop 5m out
Max Douglas (lock) - outstanding lineout exponent, high work rate around the park, punches above his weight
Sean Vaivelata (no.8) - strong ball runner, goes hard
Luca Moretti (no.6) - this bloke is everywhere !
Both halfbacks good too - Rory Kennedy & Cooper Chambers with limited opportunity. Special mentions to Donny Freeman (no.7), Liam Janson (lock), Chris Icanovski, Max Lehmann, Albert Hopoate, Lachie Ilias.
Well that's more than half the team....LOL !
I could easily mention ALL of the players, as they are ALL doing so well - particularly given the injuries, sickness, 3 matches in 7 days, etc. that come with touring. Learning to play to the conditions as they go. Great tour, great experience.

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
Combined Auckland 10 d NSW Schools 5. Some phenomenal defence by the local boys to shut down a number of promising breaks by NSW. Best for NSW prop Angus Bell, 6 Luca Moretti, 7 Donny Freeman and 10 Jack Walsh. A very physical game with both sides consistently putting bodies on the line in contact. Quite a bit of dropped ball/ knock ons by both sides, but it was very windy and each put the other under constant pressure defensively. Overall a very entertaining game to watch and one that the NSW boys will learn a lot from - this is how rugby is played by our neighbours to the North and if you aspire to higher levels, is what is required from you. But with a 5 from 6 campaign incl 2 from 3 against very good opposition in NZ the boys and coaches can be very proud of what they have achieved. I look forward to seeing many at higher levels in the next couple of years.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 476

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
There's a lot of valuable/historical wang on this thread for those GAGR correspondents who have been following the "youngun's as they make their way from junior schoolboy to senior schoolboy Rugby....and beyond

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
There's a lot of valuable/historical wang on this thread for those GAGR correspondents who have been following the "youngun's as they make their way from junior schoolboy to senior schoolboy Rugby..and beyond

And I look forward to contributing if only from a Newington perspective, watching from the sidelines on this particular post. Azzuri feel free to delete my well meaning, but unnecessary post on the GPS U/!6s.

Props rule

Frank Nicholson (4)
Order of finish for 16a's this year imo will be
1. Joeys
2. Riverview
3. Scots
4. Newington
5. Shore
6. Kings

Joeys have about 8 or 9 quality rep players who have been part of the successful Gordon age team (with 3 from the u15 NSW side). Also depends what Riverview and kings do with the quality players they have added from last years u15 NSW side and if they play 16s or opens. Anything could happen in a 1 round comp though and only takes 1 result to change the season. Bring on the rugby!!!

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
Order of finish for 16a's this year imo will be
1. Joeys
2. Riverview
3. Scots
4. Newington
5. Shore
6. Kings

Joeys have about 8 or 9 quality rep players who have been part of the successful Gordon age team (with 3 from the u15 NSW side). Also depends what Riverview and kings do with the quality players they have added from last years u15 NSW side and if they play 16s or opens. Anything could happen in a 1 round comp though and only takes 1 result to change the season. Bring on the rugby!!!

No argument about Joeys being number 1, but I would rate Kings a head of Shore based on games played against Newington. Riverview have great depth and this could cover the expected loses promoted to the open division. Then it may not, hence, View'a 16As might finish up in the bottom half of any ratings. Scots & Newington will be interesting.

I suspect they maybe pushing beyond 3&4. Its been reported in other posts, that New have acquired a number of boys who possess some rugby talent. Such acquisitions could really throw a "spanner into the works" for an assessment based on the 15As performance from last year. Scots, also I am sure will have new entries into year 10. Will these new entries from Scots and Newington, have an impact on the status quo only time will tell.

Props rule

Frank Nicholson (4)
Good points for sure which is the beauty of this age group. Boys also start to develop fully too so always some great players emerge through the year too.Apart from Lachlan Albert I am not sure there are too many view boys being pushed into opens so think they will be ok. Kings is interesting - if John Connelly plays 16's they will push way up in rankings but think he will go straight to opens. Not sure about Newington recruits I have heard they got some good talent but think some of it is into the 15's not 16's age group

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
Apparently New 16a's defeats KWS 16a's 70-0?
I heard that New has acquired some talent players for their 16s. This might be evident in today's score. Equally, last year's 15As were a fairly capable side, beating the other GPS schools at least once, with the exception of Joeys.
Nevertheless, despite the score Newington's 16As will benefit from this "hit out" by building team combinations and developing the team into a well-driled attacking outfit.

Shane Smeltz

Fred Wood (13)
I heard that New has acquired some talent players for their 16s.

Yes, I pointed out some months ago that New had taken a couple of St. Augs best U15 from last year.
Based on yesterday's results New possibly have other new players as well, or these two highly talented boys (both whom have RL scouts and agents sniffing around) have added to the already competent New U15 team from last year

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
Newington had a tradesman like 31-0 win over Oakhill. The most impressive display by a Newington team was our 15As who scored between 12 to 14 tries. They could be one the form teams in this age age group.

Props rule

Frank Nicholson (4)
Will give it a go

1. Jones (joeys)
2. Hannon (view)
3. Botha (scots)
4. Bokenham (joeys)
5. Simieone (view)
6. Danks (view)
7. Robinson (joeys)
8. Clinton (view)
9. Albert (view)
10. Connelly (kings)
11. Latu (newington)
12. Chan (joeys)
13. O'Brien (joeys)
14. ???
15. ???

Lots of joeys and view boys and have a view there has to be more scots and a few kings / shore candidates. Pretty strong team and some notables not in the starting team Gibbs, wunderlich (injured),

Status
Not open for further replies.