• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS - The Next Generation - U16 Competition, and Presidents XV Rep Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Show and go

Sydney Middleton (9)
No issue with their being some very good players in rugby who have a league background. But the mere fact of a league background doesn't = highest quality rugby player which often seems to be the default sentiment re school boy players. And they are frequently not dominant. A number of the HM boys named above were overlooked for higher level Sjru rep honours last year in favour of boys who focus solely on rugby. There is no one size fits all which is why selections should be based on current form and my original point was simply that a number of the fancied New boys are not currently in great form.

Hopefully you can persuade ur Cas u16 coaches to change their mind and drop the 4 Harold Matt players they have selected in the Cas starting lineup to give a "a boy whose focus is solely on playing Union" a game, that would be greatly appreciated by the GPS coaches IMO.

ChipKick

Herbert Moran (7)
Hopefully you can persuade the Cas u16 coaches to change their mind and drop the 4 Harold Matt players they have selected in the Cas starting lineup to give a "a player who solely focus on playing Union" a game, that would be greatly appreciated by the GPS coaches IMO.

And i would guess that when the GPS squad is picked at least 5 players would have played Harold Matthews

Show and go

Sydney Middleton (9)
And i would guess that when the GPS squad is picked at least 5 players would have played Harold Matthews

Exactly my point ,these HM players have been identified when playing both codes in previous years and are some of the most talented kids around hence when club rugby falls away after u15 u have a new influx of players which rep selectors start looking at , compared to the same names who have previously held rep positions in club rugby for the last couple of years.

HeresToRugby

Chris McKivat (8)
Exactly my point ,these HM players have been identified when playing both codes in previous years and are some of the most talented kids around hence when club rugby falls away after u15 u have a new influx of players which rep selectors start looking at , compared to the same names who have previously held rep positions in club rugby for the last couple of years.

I think that having some league experience doesn't hurt but I also think to assume that just because somebody played HM they should be looked at more closely than the others.

I say this because a number of kids have already played league at some stage throughout their junior careers (particularly in the country) and some GPS schools don't allow the kids to play HM in any case.

In fact some of them would have played in the State Rugby League Championships just prior to secondary school (Freddie Lussick on the wing - St Augustines though not New?).

I'm pretty confident some of the kids not mentioned in this forum would have the talent to play HM so they should be assessed on their merits like any other kid (including those that played HM who obviously have talent).

It's also dangerous to assume that just because somebody is playing 1sts or 2nds at one school they should be a shoe in. Different schools have different policies re opens and anybody can look good in strong side when playing up not withstanding it might be very good experience. Of course a couple of those playing up this year would have a very good chance to get picked because they have proven themselves at that level (the Riverview centre for example).

I don't envy the selectors!!!!!!

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
Hopefully you can persuade ur Cas u16 coaches to change their mind and drop the 4 Harold Matt players they have selected in the Cas starting lineup to give a "a boy whose focus is solely on playing Union" a game, that would be greatly appreciated by the GPS coaches IMO.
Think you might want to read my post again, especially the part where I say no issue with a number of dual code lads being talented rugby players.

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
I'm interested reading these comments. I not only coach the Kings side, but have coached Leichhardt Wanderers in this age group with Steve Edmed. Among others, Saul Lewis and Lachie Ilias( CAS 10) were in the side. To be honest, I can smell a lot of vested interest in this thread. Clearly I'm not going to pick the side I would run with, but I will say this; the Joeys side and Kings side have only lost 2 games each in the past two years. They have achieved this through ability, not culture nor coaching. In short, these teams have done well because they have a number of workers who put their team before themselves. Actions win football games, not reputations.
@ABC, Agree with everything in your post except the 'not culture' point - I'd suggest that the 'put team before self' bit which has contributed so much to J and K success is at the very centre of their respective rugby cultures.

Wristman

Alfred Walker (16)
I'm not sure where ur getting ur information from but just to help you in your selections William's has not played no8 for scots this year on the other hand Harris who as you say could fit in anywhere has been the no8 for scots this year, both William's and Harris great players and I recon their preferred positions would be second row.

Titmuss would definately be my no8 and also find a spot for Dellow at fullback.

It was mentioned before who plays league for newington ,as somebody said not many, well titmuss, Lewis , Dellow ,Endermann and Aeaki all played Harold matts for the record and all excellent players.

Zylstra (scots) and Bell (new) both had a great battle in the scrum when they last played was nothing between them , both very good in the scrum but zylstra was far far better around the park in general play from what I saw.

Agree completely about Zylstra.
He should definitely make the squad.
Highly versatile....can play at Prop, hooker or breakaway.

footy4life

Chris McKivat (8)
Interesting decision to substitute a referee right before the end of the Kings vs Newington under 16s game with only a few minutes to go.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
Interesting decision to substitute a referee right before the end of the Kings vs Newington under 16s game with only a few minutes to go.

This might reflect the importance of the clash, the perception of Home Town decisions should always be avoided. The 16A Games should have their referees appointed as the 1sts and 2nds.

Oh, could someone most kindly supply the score of that Game,that was Kings v Newington Game.
Many Thanks

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
Kings win 9-8. Minogue penalty goal on the bell to win. A very high quality game of rugby.

Many Thanks Andrew, Good to hear it was a high quality game, A few critics have been a bit hard on Newington saying the players out of forum. I prefer a more positive outlook, that this age group is immensely talented. With the exception of Shore, each side can beat the other on its day. 9-8 could it have been any closer. As a New supporter our 16As give me much great joy not in their current results, but in their longer term potential for individual and collective development in 2017 & 2018.

waratahman

Bob McCowan (2)
Kings win 9-8. Minogue penalty goal on the bell to win. A very high quality game of rugby.

Agreed it was a great game.
Nil all at half-time before penalty goal from McCormack's boot gave newington the lead. Kings hit back with two penalty goals to lead 6-3. About 3 minutes left New crashed over in the corner with their blonde winger for New to lead 8-6. Into extra time Kings awarded penalty around 22 out and Minogue added 3 more to finalise the game at 9-8 to kings. News defense was outstanding and well organised with lots of communication from the 9 & 10 and Kings rarely looked dangerous. In saying that Kings took their chances and converted them into points whereas News attack seemed a little off. Overall great game thoroughly enjoyed watching and seeing some of the boys that have been criticised on here heavily stand up and play to their potential.

R

Runpasstackle

Hearing new coaches are the selectors for tomorrow can anyone confirm?? Should be interesting

Status
Not open for further replies.