• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS - The Next Generation - U16 Competition, and Presidents XV Rep Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
I also witnessed this and found it embarrassing that Shore 1sts and 2nds players were yelling at boys who are younger than them. I completely agree with your comment.

Tragically, Shore has also been the most racist of schools to our Pacific Islander boys. However, to Doctor Wright's credit he has warned the boys about such comments. Clearly, another message about crowd behaviour is needed. In this matter Newington is not perfect either, as the last round against view showed.

But the real pity is it cancels out, the excellent work by Shore Coaches and the Boys themselves who have pulled it together to make this 16A side competitive. Last year joeys flogged them 78-0 or 48-0 nil. This year 24-22 win to joeys by any measure a marvellous improvement. Equally, Newington handed out a 56-0 and 43-12 losses to them. A 22-0 lost shows that Shore are headed in the right direction.

People need to remember at the end of the day its only a game.

R

Runpasstackle

Can anyone shed any light on how selections work in the 16s. I see CAS pick North v South. What do the GPS do?

Also any idea on who is coaching these sides?

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Can anyone shed any light on how selections work in the 16s. I see CAS pick North v South. What do the GPS do?

Also any idea on who is coaching these sides?

No idea who is coaching the teams. I don't believe it has been announced yet.

Wondered the same myself on selections. There appears to be a lot of assumed knowledge around the process.

I believe there is a trial at Kings on 19 June at 9.30 am.

In the past they announced a squad to trial, (Presumably for the 19 June) by forwards and backs, they then select Presidents A 15 then Presidents B 15.

As to how they select the reserves, this is only supposition on my behalf but following "best practice", The Presidents A team takes their pick of the reserves and then B team.

Assume they will select 23 in each squad (maybe a couple of shadows???) but in the absence of info I could be talking out my a...

Can anyone else shed further light?

R

Runpasstackle

Hearing Kings coaches to take press A and shore and grammar coach to take b side. Any selections??

deezebola

Frank Nicholson (4)
GPS 1s IMO:

1) McLennan (I) 2nds
2) Icanovski (N) 1sts or Dombkins (J) 16A
3) Bell (N) 16A
4) Jansen (N) 1sts
5) Brown (K) 16A
6) Roberts (J) 16A
7) Duvall (N) 1sts
8) Titmuss (N) 16A
9) McCormark (N) 16A (Dalton injured for the season)
10)Lewis (N) 16A
11) Afeaki (N) 16A
12) Minogue (K) 16A
13) Bell (I) 2nd
14) Creagh (J) 16A
15) Easy (I) 1sts

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
8 from New in a comp that has been as tight as a fish's sphincter and in which N have not performed particularly well? On current form your 8, 9, 10 and 11 will be from elsewhere. 8 Harris (S), 9 Strang (S), 10 A Bell (I), 11 Dutallis (I). Move Easy to 13, Creagh to 15 and bring in Apps (K) to 14.

deezebola

Frank Nicholson (4)
8 from New in a comp that has been as tight as a fish's sphincter and in which N have not performed particularly well? On current form your 8, 9, 10 and 11 will be from elsewhere. 8 Harris (S), 9 Strang (S), 10 A Bell (I), 11 Dutallis (I). Move Easy to 13, Creagh to 15 and bring in Apps (K) to 14.

must disagree as there is a reason for being 8 New players as most aren't actually in their 16's team, bell is good at 13 and easy plays fullback for club was my thinking, to have better players in more positons

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
must disagree as there is a reason for being 8 New players as most aren't actually in their 16's team, bell is good at 13 and easy plays fullback for club was my thinking, to have better players in more positons

Really? Not according to your list above. On form my only automatic selection from Newington would be Bell from the 16s team.

I would rate Lewis as 3rd choice 5/8 behind Bell (I) and Creagh (j). Geez he gets talked up a lot on this forum.

Titmus was slow and was shut down against joeys and also dropped a lot of ball.

I would pick Williams from Scots at #8 over Titmus at the moment on form.

Icanovski would face stiff competition fir hooker position too.

Likewise their is a wealth of talent in the backs beyond Newington and norths!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deezebola

Frank Nicholson (4)
Really? Not according to your list above. On form my only automatic selection from Newington would be Bell from the 16s team.

I would rate Lewis as 3rd choice 5/8 behind Bell (I) and Creagh (j). Geez he gets talked up a lot on this forum.

Creagh is a fullback/wing, Bell has been playing 13 all season and with the backline containing 4 North Boys and 3 Gordon Boys so fairly even selection of both the two dominate teams in this age group

Players who are playing 1st and 2nd have it a lot harder than 16A's that is the reason for Icanovski's selection ahead of Dombkins IMO, could always have McLennan as Hooker as he throws for the View 2nds

Agree Titmouse played poorly on the weekend but having only seen his joeys game and shore game where he was close to best on ground and seeing previous years state champs was the reason i picked him, also how big he is

IMO it seems everyone has been putting Lewis down on this forum, not sure if it's cause he comes from another school into the GPS this year or another reason

Dalton would be first choice 9 but is sadly out for the season and doesn't seem like any other options other than McCormack

HeresToRugby

Chris McKivat (8)
Creagh is a fullback/wing, Bell has been playing 13 all season and with the backline containing 4 North Boys and 3 Gordon Boys so fairly even selection of both the two dominate teams in this age group

Players who are playing 1st and 2nd have it a lot harder than 16A's that is the reason for Icanovski's selection ahead of Dombkins IMO, could always have McLennan as Hooker as he throws for the View 2nds

Agree Titmouse played poorly on the weekend but having only seen his joeys game and shore game where he was close to best on ground and seeing previous years state champs was the reason i picked him, also how big he is

IMO it seems everyone has been putting Lewis down on this forum, not sure if it's cause he comes from another school into the GPS this year or another reason

Dalton would be first choice 9 but is sadly out for the season and doesn't seem like any other options other than McCormack

Not one Scots player and very few Kings players makes this an interesting pick? Will Harris (S) would have be there somewhere from what I saw. Joeys forwards shut down the big packs of Scots & Newington with awesome 'big hit' defence, pushed New's scrum around & dominated at the breakdown all over the park (Roberts didn't play in 3 of the 5 weeks). They did this without winning almost any lineout. The comp is very tight but Joeys are leading for a reason with some hidden gold improving each week so would have more than one selection effectively I would suspect. Dalton is back next game by the way. Kings smashed Joeys & Scots were big & effective so more of these would have to be in the team also.

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Update after Round 5

1: Joeys 4 wins 1 loss
2: Kings 3 wins 1 draw 1 Loss
3: Newington 2 wins 1 draw 2 loss
4: Scots 2 wins 2 losses and a washout :(
Riverview 2 win 2 losses and a washout :(
6: Shore 5 losses (but looking competitive)

Bring on the return fixtures!

Anyone know when they announce the Presidents XV trial squads?

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
So based on Posts, we have the following boys playing in the Opens eligible for Presidents XV:

Newington

Icanovski (N) Playing Hooker 2nds but Prop in 16s
Duvall (N) Flanker 2nds(?)

Riverview

Easy (I) Playing Outside Centre 1sts
Mclennan (I) Playing Loose Head Prop 2nds
Bell (I) Playing Outside Centre but capable 5/8 in 16s

Scots

Ben Baker (S) position ? Havent seen play mentioned by "Show and Go" 2nds ?
Brett Wellington (S) position ? Havent seen play mentioned by "Show and Go" 2nds ?

Joeys Shore Kings (Nil)

Have I missed any????

Vintage Red

Herbert Moran (7)
I think Angus Duvall (N) and Liam Janson (N) both played lock for the 1st XV on the weekend, and both are eligible for 16s.

Dom Easy (I) has typically played inside centre for the 1st XV, but he has covered 5/8 in Lenehan's absence.

Angus Bell (I) has been playing at outside centre in the 2nd XV.

deezebola

Frank Nicholson (4)
I think Angus Duvall (N) and Liam Janson (N) both played lock for the 1st XV on the weekend, and both are eligible for 16s.

Dom Easy (I) has typically played inside centre for the 1st XV, but he has covered 5/8 in Lenehan's absence.

Angus Bell (I) has been playing at outside centre in the 2nd XV.

Icanovski played prop in 1s and correct on Janson and Duvall

RugbyDomin8r101

Stan Wickham (3)

Would disagree with you there after reviewing the Joeys v New game a second time.

Although Bell is obviously the preferred 5/8, Lewis would still be in contention as he does possess great skill with the ball in hand. I can observe that Lewis seems to try and create something for the Newington backs, but is limited due to the style of game they play. Creagh would be more suited to fullback.

You claim Titmus was slow and dropped alot of ball, however he did grab an assist in New's first try with a great run, which was followed by a second carry down the blind side to set his winger in for their first points. He dropped ONE ball in the duration of the game. Would like to have seen him carry more. He is very agile for a big lad. New need to utilise him better and would still carry him as the preferred #8.

I dont know much about a Williams from Scots who plays #8, but if you are talking about Will Harris, he would easily slot into the backrow due to his height or possibly as a flanker. Great versatile player who has played with excellent form this year.

Show and go

Sydney Middleton (9)
Would disagree with you there after reviewing the Joeys v New game a second time.

Although Bell is obviously the preferred 5/8, Lewis would still be in contention as he does possess great skill with the ball in hand. I can observe that Lewis seems to try and create something for the Newington backs, but is limited due to the style of game they play. Creagh would be more suited to fullback.

You claim Titmus was slow and dropped alot of ball, however he did grab an assist in New's first try with a great run, which was followed by a second carry down the blind side to set his winger in for their first points. He dropped ONE ball in the duration of the game. Would like to have seen him carry more. He is very agile for a big lad. New need to utilise him better and would still carry him as the preferred #8.

I dont know much about a Williams from Scots who plays #8, but if you are talking about Will Harris, he would easily slot into the backrow due to his height or possibly as a flanker. Great versatile player who has played with excellent form this year.

I'm not sure where ur getting ur information from but just to help you in your selections William's has not played no8 for scots this year on the other hand Harris who as you say could fit in anywhere has been the no8 for scots this year, both William's and Harris great players and I recon their preferred positions would be second row.

Titmuss would definately be my no8 and also find a spot for Dellow at fullback.

It was mentioned before who plays league for newington ,as somebody said not many, well titmuss, Lewis , Dellow ,Endermann and Aeaki all played Harold matts for the record and all excellent players.

Zylstra (scots) and Bell (new) both had a great battle in the scrum when they last played was nothing between them , both very good in the scrum but zylstra was far far better around the park in general play from what I saw.

RugbyDomin8r101

Stan Wickham (3)
I'm not sure where ur getting ur information from but just to help you in your selections William's has not played no8 for scots this year on the other hand Harris who as you say could fit in anywhere has been the no8 for scots this year, both William's and Harris great players and I recon their preferred positions would be second row.

Titmuss would definately be my no8 and also find a spot for Dellow at fullback.

It was mentioned before who plays league for newington ,as somebody said not many, well titmuss, Lewis , Dellow ,Endermann and Aeaki all played Harold matts for the record and all excellent players.

Zylstra (scots) and Bell (new) both had a great battle in the scrum when they last played was nothing between them , both very good in the scrum but zylstra was far far better around the park in general play from what I saw.

Yeah mate i was just refuting a comment mentioned before which had Williams at #8, which would not make sense now that you have stated that he does not play #8.

Yes of course, Dellow has been quite impressive this year. Would definitely fit him into the backline somewhere. If not fullback, possibly as a centre.

Yes, as an avid spectator of the harold matthews season this year, all players performed extremely well. Titmuss, Afeaki and Dellow IMO, harshly missed selection into Origin camps.

Bell (N) and Zylstra (S) have both been in great form this year. Scrum wise i think Zylstra would be much preffered. Zylstra does move quite well and is relatively mobile, however in overall gameplay dominance, Bell has showed a great deal of aggression in attack and defence this year, which has resulted in a number of tackle busts each game, as he showed last weekend against Joeys. It will be hard to not pick him in the 1st team along McLennan (I).

waratahman

Bob McCowan (2)

8 Newington boys could seem excessive but when you look at the history of these boys it is understandable why they would be considered.

• 5 boys eligible for Pres selection disregarding current injury status have NSW experience:

- Angus Bell (U15 NSW JGC 2015, U15 NSWJRU 2015)
- Liam Janson (U15 NSWJRU 2015)
- Nathanael Endemann (U15 NSWJRU 2015)*INJURED
- Patrick McCormack (U15 NSW JGC 2015, U15 NSWJRU 2015, U17 NSW JGC 40 man 2016)
- Keith Titmuss (U15 NSWJRU 2015)

• 3 boys playing 1st XV at Newington:
- Angus Duvall
- Chris Icanovski
- Liam Janson
  • Also a number of boys playing high level league:
- Saul Lewis (Balmain Tigers HM)
- Raine Dellow (Souths HM)
- Simi Afeaki (Manly HM)
- Keith Titmuss (Manly HM)
- Nathanael Endemann (Manly HM SQUAD)
Obviously some crazy talent here and I feel that a lot of Newington boys in the president's setup is justified. Going both off this and current form as well with Titmuss, Duvall, Janson, Icanovski, McCormack & Lewis all with a good first round of form under their belts. Special mention to the boys playing 1st XV as they are all performing well in that demanding comp, you can only imagine they will cause some destruction in an U16's comp.

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
i was just refuting a comment mentioned before which had Williams at #8, which would not make sense now that you have stated that he does not play #8.

Jeremy Williams was starting #8 for NSW JGC U17 v Qld this year. And had a strong game in a NSW team that lost narrowly.

Status
Not open for further replies.