• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS - The Next Generation - U16 Competition, and Presidents XV Rep Team

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Runpasstackle

You mean the game were he throws an intercept pass to view 15 after running 15m sideways??

Will say this newington pack are not effective when they play a league base style of one off running. Could be deverstating if they worked as a pack. Ruck and maul.

New 15 was good. However needs more game time in Union. Just unsure of where to be and when.

RonnyGibbs

Herbert Moran (7)
You mean the game were he throws an intercept pass to view 15 after running 15m sideways??

Will say this newington pack are not effective when they play a league base style of one off running. Could be deverstating if they worked as a pack. Ruck and maul.

New 15 was good. However needs more game time in Union. Just unsure of where to be and when.
Newington were missing several forwards on Saturday including their captain

RugbyDomin8r101

Stan Wickham (3)

Please explain a league style game of Rugby. As far as I am aware there isn't many players from a league background in the Newington team, so i dont understand how you assume there is a prominant league structure they play to?

What New need to improve on is their lineouts, as there was consecutive lineouts lost during good ball possession. Forwards were dominant with ball in hand, however, struggled at times with getting players to the breakdown. Also with the delivery of early, clean ball from the 10 during set piece will allow their outside backs to move with a bit more of space.

R

Runpasstackle

Simple to much one out crap. Don't hunt as a pack don't know how to ruck and maul. Individual brilliance gets them over the line. If they ever played as a unit they would be very strong.

The whole programme seems to have the same problem. Tremendous athletes however not playing under a team or unit structure. League relies on one on one brilliance vs team brilliance.

Programme needs to focus more on team rather than looking for imports from league to fill individual gaps.

YG4HUNNID

Stan Wickham (3)
Scots Vs Newington Under 16 A report.

Scots beat Newington 15-20, only due to a byast referee on Scots side. If there was a normal ref Newington would have won by a lot more.

waratahman

Bob McCowan (2)
Scots Vs Newington Under 16 A report.

Scots beat Newington 15-20, only due to a byast referee on Scots side. If there was a normal ref Newington would have won by a lot more.

Yes good to see the mighty scots boys have a win today over an underwhelming newington team in the 16s. Newington didn't show up until there was 10 minutes to go and at this point they looked very dangerous although it was all too late. Give the game an extra 5-10 minutes and I feel newington would've plucked victory from the scots' boys grasps. Best for Scots where 8. Harris and prop Zylstra both had high work rates and bent the new line. In a losing team I thought standouts for new were 9 McCormack and 10 Lewis who combined well considering the lack of front foot ball their forwards provided. Overall entertaining game and great to see the scots boys get the chocolates.

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
So by my maths after 3 rounds the U16s comp looks like this:

1: Kings 2 wins 1 draw
2: Joeys 2 wins 1 loss
Scots 2 wins 1 loss
3: Newington 1 win 1 draw 1 loss
4: Riverview 1 win 2 losses
5: Shore 3 losses (but looking competitive)

Round 4 Riverview V Kings
Joeys V Scots
Newington V Shore

Match of the round Joeys V Scots

All teams appear to be carrying a lot of injuries. Must be making selections a headache for Presidents XV

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Any updated team predications after 3 rounds?

I would be fascinated to see how the selectors do it. Was chatting about this on the weekend and how tough it must be. The conversation was really around GPS Firsts given the wealth of talent across all GPS schools. Especially in the back lines.

However its arguably just as challenging for the 16s; when you have players eligible for 16s in Opens and others playing out of position, couple that with injuries, I am buggered if I can work out how they do it!

I would assume all boys playing Opens would get a gig but arguably there are boys in the 16s who may be stronger than others playing opens.

The 16s trials at Kings on 19 June will resolve this! Lets hope all are fit to play and give it their best shot

Presidents XV U16’s Trials @ Kings
Sunday 19 June ‘16
Presidents XV A & B U16’s Trials
9.30AM
The Kings School

waratahman

Bob McCowan (2)
I agree must be near impossible for selectors to do their job. I might have a go at a team and please feel free to leave opinions this is pretty rough.

Pres A
1. Mclennen (I) or Zylstra (S)
2. Icanovski (N)
3. Bell (N)
4. Harris (S) or Wiliams (S)
5. Brown (K)
6. Peper (K)
7. Roberts (J) or Duvall (N)
8. Titmuss (N) or Heaven (J)
9. McCormack (N) or Dalton (J)
10. Bell (I) or Lewis (N)
11. Dutallis (I)
12.Minogue (K)
13. Easy (I)
14. Dellow (N)
15. Creagh (J)

Pres B
1. Lock (K)
2. Dombkins (J)
3. Mclennen (I) or Zylstra (S)
4. Jansen (N)
5. Harris (S) or Wiliams (S)
6. Roberts (J) or Duvall (N)
7. Thackray (I)
8. Titmuss (N) or Heaven (J)
9. Strang (S) or Shore 9 not sure of name (E)
10. Bell (I) or Lewis (N)
11. Afeaki (N)
12. Shore 12 (E)
13. Ryan (J)
14. Apps (K)
15. Croft (J)

Breakdown of Schools
(I) 5 (J) 5 (N) 9 (K) 5 (S) 4 (E) 2
Seems a lot from newington which even disappoints myself but can't go past some of those individuals. Also surprised myself with lack of Kings boys as I think they are a fantastic side just head to head with others not as strong individually but great as a pack. Obviously disappointing number of Shore boys hopefully I can be proven wrong if they continue to be more competitive. View and Joeys both got strong numbers and both probably have more when you add subs etc. And personally wish I could take more of the mighty Scots boys but just can't maintain impartiality if I were to choose some over boys mentioned from the other schools. Leave your thoughts if you feel like it.

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Yep tough isnt it! Not a bad selection in either team

I havent seen all the teams play yet so would prefer to wait until after round 5.

Interesting, Joeys have 3 Hookers with NSW form:

James Bouchier NSW JGC U15 2015 16A Hooker
Maclean Dombkins NSWJRU U15 2015 currently 16A Prop
Julian Heaven NSW JGC U17 2016 (shadow) currently 16A #8

So what do you do there?

Also reckon (hope) that AAGPS has cast their eye over Grammar TAS and High for some stand outs.

I think your choices for SHORE are optimistic. Wouldn't Savala be a stronger candidate? Perhaps he is injured. That is another factor in all of this, players with injuries.

footy4life

Chris McKivat (8)
My New thoughts After Round 3 for Presidents Team

Team 1)

1) McLennan (I) (Vice Captain)
2) Lock (K)
3) Bell (N)
4) Jansen (N)
5) Brown (K)
6) Pepper (K)
7) Koopu (N)
8) Titmuss (N)
9) Dalton (J)
10) Lewis (N)
11) Dutalis (I)
12) Minogue (K)
13) Easy (I) (Captain)
14) Endemann (N)
15) Creagh (J)

Team 2)

1) Heaven (J)
2) Dombkins (J)
3) Ofahangue (N) or Zylstra (S)
4) Duvall (N)
5) Scolari (J)
6) Brown (K)
7) Mahe (N)
8) Harris (S)
9) Mcormack (N)
10) Bell (I)
11) Afeaki (N)
12) Gascosine (J)
13) Ryan (J)
14) Apps (K)
15) Dellow (N)

Endemann from Newington has been injured the whole season and won't return until next term so I don't think he'll make a team. Also Koopu from Newington plays second row usually and I don't see him as a number 7 in my opinion a very big lad he is.

R

Runpasstackle

My New thoughts After Round 3 for Presidents Team

Team 1)

1) McLennan (I) (Vice Captain)
2) Lock (K)
3) Bell (N)
4) Jansen (N)
5) Brown (K)
6) Pepper (K)
7) Koopu (N)
8) Titmuss (N)
9) Dalton (J)
10) Lewis (N)
11) Dutalis (I)
12) Minogue (K)
13) Easy (I) (Captain)
14) Endemann (N)
15) Creagh (J)

Team 2)

1) Heaven (J)
2) Dombkins (J)
3) Ofahangue (N) or Zylstra (S)
4) Duvall (N)
5) Scolari (J)
6) Brown (K)
7) Mahe (N)
8) Harris (S)
9) Mcormack (N)
10) Bell (I)
11) Afeaki (N)
12) Gascosine (J)
13) Ryan (J)
14) Apps (K)
15) Dellow (N)

You only picked 12 from newingtion. Are the other 3 mean to your son???

waratahman

Bob McCowan (2)
You only picked 12 from newingtion. Are the other 3 mean to your son???

I agree that 12 from New may be excessive although don't feel that implying YG4HUNNID is biased is overly fair. To reduce number of newington boys personally I would exclude Ofahengue, Mahe, Afeaki, Endemann & Koopu.
This is for a myriad reasons including injury that will rule them out (Ofahengue, Endemann) and also form at the moment which I don't feel warrants GPS selection (Koopu, Mahe & Afeaki). If these 5 are excluded that makes New equal with Iggies and Joeys in terms of number of boys picked.

R

Runpasstackle

Think you need to re add. Also yg4hunnid had a consistent them with selections to make it pretty obvious to see the link. Especially a new addition to new this year by any chance? Clear selection has been made on club football reputation in 13 and 14 s etc

Status
Not open for further replies.