• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS - The Next Generation - U16 Competition, and Presidents XV Rep Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Knox 16As (v Joeys 16As 30.4.16)

Anyone have the Joeys team?

Here you go

1: Maclean Dombkins
2: James Bourchier
3: Harvey lawler
4: Tim Nicholls
5: Jet Williams
6: Nelson Roberts
7: Liam Scolari
8: Julian Heaven
9: Joe Dalton (c)
10: Vincent Creagh
11: Jack McConell
12: Callum Gascoine
13: Xavier Ryan
14: Jonte langfield

15: Mackinley Croft

Some very interesting match ups!

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Nice work Waverley .... And without one of their best

Do think Waverley has a problem in that they are across the age groups only working on the As.... Absolutely no depth .... And it is not lack of good kids ...

Some of the coaching beyond the A teams is at best weak ... And yes I know there are all the issues of queens park being closed at the first drop of rain , and the shoe string budget

However there needs to be input into the coaching .... Coach the coach .... certainly Waverley gets showed up big time by the likes of Riverview .... Although by the looks of it Knox has had the same experience today at the hands of joeys

Only Knox has way more numbers, way more resources .... And way bigger pipeline from junior rugby clubs ... Such as lindfield, Chatswood

jeff thomson

Herbert Moran (7)
Nice work Waverley .. And without one of their best

Do think Waverley has a problem in that they are across the age groups only working on the As.. Absolutely no depth .. And it is not lack of good kids .

Some of the coaching beyond the A teams is at best weak . And yes I know there are all the issues of queens park being closed at the first drop of rain , and the shoe string budget

However there needs to be input into the coaching .. Coach the coach .. certainly Waverley gets showed up big time by the likes of Riverview .. Although by the looks of it Knox has had the same experience today at the hands of joeys

Only Knox has way more numbers, way more resources .. And way bigger pipeline from junior rugby clubs . Such as lindfield, Chatswood

Riverview also had a number of players out

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Didn't think anyone from Waverley 16s was playing in opens? Waverley 1sts were definitely down a few regulars in the forwards

However I come back to depth ... Oh well good-oh if they are trying to coach the coaches as long way to go ... Probably not helped by revolving door of staff ... Not sure what is normal ... And trust me I only raise the issue with positive intentions

And coaching this iPhone generation , you wouldn't catch me putting my hand up

jeff thomson

Herbert Moran (7)
Didn't think anyone from Waverley 16s was playing in opens? Waverley 1sts were definitely down a few regulars in the forwards

However I come back to depth . Oh well good-oh if they are trying to coach the coaches as long way to go . Probably not helped by revolving door of staff . Not sure what is normal . And trust me I only raise the issue with positive intentions

And coaching this iPhone generation , you wouldn't catch me putting my hand up

No Riverview had a couple of key players in the 16's playing in opens

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Joeys 24 Knox 7

As a general barometer of the strength of their relative Rugby programs, the clash between Knox and Joeys in the 16As was keenly anticipated.

Without providing a blow by blow commentary, the game lacked structure by either team. Neither backline dominated and to be frank the difference between the two teams was the forwards.

Knox were slow to the breakdown and failed to capitalise on opportunities to take advantage. On numerous occasions close to the Joeys line they overplayed their hand and turned over possession with poor decision making.

Whoever made the decision to play the game through the forwards for Knox obviously hadn’t done their homework. Of the 4 tries scored by Joeys, 3 were scored by their forwards. Hooker James Bourchier and two to #8 Julian Heaven. The final try was scored by their #14 Jack McConnell who has serious wheels.

There is no doubt that there is talent in the Knox back line but to be frank they looked unstructured and lacked cohesiveness. There were glimmers of potential for Knox but they look to have a lot of work to do before next week.

Pick of the forwards for Joeys; #5 Jet Williams, played like an additional loose forward and still did the work in the tight. #8 Julian Heaven, who despite spending 10 minutes in the sin bin still managed to repeatedly break the line and offload when needed.

In the backs Callum Gascoigne continues to impress with solid defence and hard straight running.

For Knox, #2 Sean Kennedy was the pick of their forwards. He worked tirelessly at the breakdown and managed to turn over some ball.

In the backs, Tom Cameron scored the only try for Knox but received limited quality ball.

Final Score Joeys 24 Knox 7

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
Agree with your observations Armchair. Hard to know what to make of it as reports from the NZ tour match just completed suggested that the Knox 16A team looked very well drilled against a quality Mount Albert Grammar (Auckland) side. I do think that some of the Knox forwards who played 'up' last year and rejoined the age group this year may have an overly inflated opinion of their ability and entitlement. They need to start playing as part of the team and prove that they have talent and can work hard rather than simply believing it.

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
I do think that some of the Knox forwards who played 'up' last year and rejoined the age group this year may have an overly inflated opinion of their ability and entitlement. They need to start playing as part of the team and prove that they have talent and can work hard rather than simply believing it.

Well selectors can fix that really quickly...

Knox 16As looked out enthused and unstructured. The 16Bs however played with a lot of passion and gave it a red hot go....

jeff thomson

Herbert Moran (7)
^ So guessing your not liking Knox's chances this year? Think Aloys will give it a stir, they were very competitive in all there games last year and even knocked of Waverley and i think Knox once?

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
On the contrary JT, I think Knox will go very close to winning it. But they need to get back to basics and start earning it. They will be the better for yesterday's wake up call.

Knox sole loss in 15As last year was to Waverley, whom Aloys did defeat. I think it will be between Knox and Waverley this year but Aloys will also be very competitive. But we are on the wrong thread for this so should move over to CAS thread

jeff thomson

Herbert Moran (7)
Yep agree didn't get out to any games yesterday but i wonder how Waverley played? someone posted that they won by a few points over Riverview although not sure if View were full strength

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
GPS U16s Competition

The trials are now done for the teams with 2 rounds. In 5 sleeps the competition kicks off.

So here is my opinion on what I hear around the traps. Please feel free to add any intel you can share. Its great to get a sense of who is who in the other school's teams.

Newington: A very different looking team this year. I don't think they are a "shoe in" to win the comp but will certainly be up there. Maybe missing some forwards to opens? But team on paper looks pretty hot. Would keep it away from their backs. McCormack, Lewis, Dellow?, Simmy and Enderman aint a bad run on. Titmus is a talent at number 8. Round 1 against Kings will see how strong they really are.

Kings: Strong last year and I believe were premiers in U15s? Big forward pack and serious talent in backs. Assume Brown, Lock, Minogue and Apps are playing 16s and not opens? Any new Kings recruits? Azzuri help me out :)

Joeys: Have had solid performances in trials against CAS teams and a blow out against Marist Canberra. Haven't lost personnel to Opens. Halfback Dalton reserved for 2nds but Captained 16s. Forward pack whilst not the biggest have been effective. Heaven appears to have been moved to #8 from FR. Appears to be enjoying the space. Joeys always competitive and never underestimate.

Riverview: Will have a long season if they persist in having boys play up in 2nds and bench for Firsts. A real shame as they were the biggest improvers in 2015. On paper with all players in the right age group would be very competitive. Round 1 against Joeys will be a good gauge of their season prospects.

Scots: No intel on any of the players moving to Opens. Nor any new enrolments.... If all players are in the correct age group then they will be strong. Williams at Lock is the big improver but Scots may struggle in the forwards but they have class in the backs. A few Matts Players? I defer to others on an opinion of their prospects.

Shore: With no Athletics interrupting pre-season and with improved resourcing and coaching support, Shore may have a better year in 2016. If their forwards can hold their own ball then we may finally see what the Shore backline are capable of.

Grammar, High and TAS: It would be unfair for me to opine in a vacuum of information; how they are going? who is new? how has their pre-season gone? No doubt the more talented players in their squads will want equal air time in the count down to GPS selection so please if anyone has any form on the ones to watch, please share.

Round 1 Tips: Newington over Kings, Joeys comfortably over View, Scots over Shore but Shore to surprise.

Over to you all...

Vintage Red

Herbert Moran (7)
GPS U16s Competition

The trials are now done for the teams with 2 rounds. In 5 sleeps the competition kicks off.

So here is my opinion on what I hear around the traps. Please feel free to add any intel you can share. Its great to get a sense of who is who in the other school's teams.

Newington: A very different looking team this year. I don't think they are a "shoe in" to win the comp but will certainly be up there. Maybe missing some forwards to opens? But team on paper looks pretty hot. Would keep it away from their backs. McCormack, Lewis, Dellow?, Simmy and Enderman aint a bad run on. Titmus is a talent at number 8. Round 1 against Kings will see how strong they really are.

Kings: Strong last year and I believe were premiers in U15s? Big forward pack and serious talent in backs. Assume Brown, Lock, Minogue and Apps are playing 16s and not opens? Any new Kings recruits? Azzuri help me out :)

Joeys: Have had solid performances in trials against CAS teams and a blow out against Marist Canberra. Haven't lost personnel to Opens. Halfback Dalton reserved for 2nds but Captained 16s. Forward pack whilst not the biggest have been effective. Heaven appears to have been moved to #8 from FR. Appears to be enjoying the space. Joeys always competitive and never underestimate.

Riverview: Will have a long season if they persist in having boys play up in 2nds and bench for Firsts. A real shame as they were the biggest improvers in 2015. On paper with all players in the right age group would be very competitive. Round 1 against Joeys will be a good gauge of their season prospects.

Scots: No intel on any of the players moving to Opens. Nor any new enrolments.. If all players are in the correct age group then they will be strong. Williams at Lock is the big improver but Scots may struggle in the forwards but they have class in the backs. A few Matts Players? I defer to others on an opinion of their prospects.

I am not affiliated with Scots, but I understand they may have lost 9 (Strang), 10 (Mason) and 12 (Savala) to pre-season injuries. I am not sure on the extent of their injuries - assuming they have in fact succumbed - and how long they will be out for ... but I would like to see them back playing. You want to play against the best ... and they are certainly up there with the best of them.

Shore: With no Athletics interrupting pre-season and with improved resourcing and coaching support, Shore may have a better year in 2016. If their forwards can hold their own ball then we may finally see what the Shore backline are capable of.

Grammar, High and TAS: It would be unfair for me to opine in a vacuum of information; how they are going? who is new? how has their pre-season gone? No doubt the more talented players in their squads will want equal air time in the count down to GPS selection so please if anyone has any form on the ones to watch, please share.

Round 1 Tips: Newington over Kings, Joeys comfortably over View, Scots over Shore but Shore to surprise.

Over to you all.

Vintage Red

Herbert Moran (7)
I am not affiliated with Scots, but I understand they may have lost 9 (Strang), 10 (Mason) and 12 (Savala) to pre-season injuries. I am not sure on the extent of their injuries - assuming they have in fact succumbed - and how long they will be out for, but I would like to see them back playing. You want to play against the best, and they are certainly up there with the best of them.

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
I am not affiliated with Scots, but I understand they may have lost 9 (Strang), 10 (Mason) and 12 (Savala) to pre-season injuries. I am not sure on the extent of their injuries - assuming they have in fact succumbed - and how long they will be out for, but I would like to see them back playing. You want to play against the best, and they are certainly up there with the best of them

Yikes, that is terrible news for the boys in question and for Scots. I hope their rehab goes well and we see them back soon. Does anyone have intel on who will move in to cover those key positions?

Status
Not open for further replies.