• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS - The Next Generation - U16 Competition, and Presidents XV Rep Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tahs247

Allen Oxlade (6)
One thing is for sure the CAS vs GPS U16 game this year will be a cracker! Think GPS should win but CAS will be pretty strong this year

Gary Owen III

Syd Malcolm (24)
I take it the boy has moved from Pius to Riverview. Is he good enough to play 1's for View? how are view looking at 12 &13?

He is definitely a talent but I reckon he might struggle to break into the 1st's this year - the #12 (Pirina) will be back for his 3rd year of 1sts and the #13 (Terry) for his 2nd year in the top grade. Plus Smeallie played a lot of centres in the 1sts when injuries took last year.

I would have thought the View backline might look something like
9. Clark
10. Lenehan
11. Nona
12. Pirina
13. Terry
14. Smeallie
15. Fahey

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
I think Dominic Easy will be a terrific addition for Riverview. With all respect to Pius 1sts, GPS 1sts is a huge step up and I would imagine the incumbents would be favoured. I don't think he will be playing U16s for school which will no doubt be a huge relief to a number of teams!

I personally think he is a better 13 than 12 and enjoys a little more space to work with.

No doubt there will be copious quantities of debate on this forum around the make up of the Presidents XV side, but on paper Easy would be a short odds favourite.

Suspect our friends from Scots will have lots to say in the debate about the back line.

What cant be argued is that there is a heap of talent for AAGPS to choose from.

Just to burley the waters a bit :) here were the most recent ruminations of what the team would look like.

1. Will McLennan (I)
2. Julian Heaven (J)
3. Angus Bell (N)
4. Liam Jansen (N) or Jeremy Williams (S)
5. Jordan Brown (K)
6. Liam Scolari (J)
7. Nelson Roberts (J)
8. Witeriana Koopu (N)
9. Joe Dalton (J) or Strang (S) or McCormack (N)
10. Angus Bell (I) or Savala (S)
11. Matt Dutallis (I)
12. Matt Minogue (K)
13. Nathanael Endemann (N) or Dominic Easy? (I)
14. Lachlan Apps (K)
15. Vincent Creagh (J)

Let the debate continue....

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
No disrespect to Matt Minogue, but I think the 2015 Sydney and NSW U15s centre pairing (before Endemann was injured) will be reunited, though I agree Easy is better at 13. Minogue can play 10 or 12 equally well off the bench. So can Savala, but Minogue does it better and when they went head to head at the Regionals last July, Minogue was preferred by the Sydney and NSW selectors.

I agree it's very hard to split the locks and the 9s, though I'd probably opt for McCormack as did the selectors at the 2015 Regionals (over Strang - Dalton didn't play). A nice headache to have for the Pres selectors and it looks a very strong (possible) side across the paddock.

1. Will McLennan (I)
2. Julian Heaven (J)
3. Angus Bell (N)
4. Liam Jansen (N) or Jeremy Williams (S)
5. Jordan Brown (K)
6. Liam Scolari (J)
7. Nelson Roberts (J)
8. Witeriana Koopu (N)
9. Joe Dalton (J) or Strang (S) or McCormack (N)
10. Angus Bell (I) or Savala (S)
11. Matt Dutallis (I)
12. Matt Minogue (K)Dominic Easy (I)
13. Nathanael Endemann (N) or Dominic Easy? (I)
14. Lachlan Apps (K)
15. Vincent Creagh (J)

R

Runpasstackle

Also hearing Keith titmus to join newington as well as Saul Lewis. Adds even more strength to the GPS Side in the 16s

Show and go

Sydney Middleton (9)
Also hearing Keith titmus to join newington as well as Saul Lewis. Adds even more strength to the GPS Side in the 16s

Also new this year Raine Dellow centre excellent player, along with a few more new additions in the A's not sure there names not including titmuss and Lewis. I believe they are all playing 16a's this year ,will be the team to beat.

llonzy

Bob McCowan (2)
Huly, I agree that Sydney High halfback is very good . always hard to pick a kid that isn't matching up, week in week out, against A teams

possibly not playing junior rugby

but I think the trouble is so many get hung up on reputations, already been picked in Sydney team etc

after all these are 14 and 15 year olds . some are physically 3 years ahead, in terms of body clocks

and selectors need to look beyond the kid who has been shaving since he was 10 years old

as just sometimes you get a pip-squeak, that will catch up, in the growth stakes, and is going to be a cracker

anyway . does anyone know the name of that High kid . the number 9 . believe he was the captain of the 15As . could be a throwback to High glory days .. what was that great period when they had that Hodge bloke . that little nugget . he was like the flying falafel

I was only able to see the SBHS vs SGS game yesterday. Usually at least a couple of grammar kids make the pres xv sides. I'd say their 10 yesterday was their best player.

The 9 from Sydney Boys was probably their best player and I think could give some of these aforementioned halfbacks a run for their money. This is if High go against recent tradition and go the GPS pathway as opposed to the CHS one.

Sorry if I'm late to the party but his name is Archie Fox, he started for the 1st XV against Pius. I believe he played rep footy from a young age however he only started playing as a 9 in school.

RugbyHd

Chris McKivat (8)
Also new this year Raine Dellow centre excellent player, along with a few more new additions in the A's not sure there names not including titmuss and Lewis. I believe they are all playing 16a's this year ,will be the team to beat.

Yep definitely team to beat, Will be interesting to see them next week Vs Waverley

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
He is definitely a talent but I reckon he might struggle to break into the 1st's this year - the #12 (Pirina) will be back for his 3rd year of 1sts and the #13 (Terry) for his 2nd year in the top grade. Plus Smeallie played a lot of centres in the 1sts when injuries took last year.

I would have thought the View backline might look something like
9. Clark
10. Lenehan
11. Nona
12. Pirina
13. Terry
14. Smeallie
15. Fahey

I've heard that Dom is in 1sts squad for Scots 7s and for 15s season thereafter, though trials still to be worked through. Anyone able to confirm?

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
From CAS thread

would be good if anyone in the know has team sheets for the Knox V Joeys clash in both 16s and Opens. 1sts, 2nds and U16s are likely to be cracking games. Where are the games being played?

CAS and GPS selections in 16s will be interesting as the talent pool straddles both 16s and Opens for both competitions.

For GPS, Riverview traditionally blood their young talent early and I believe at least 3 boys are in the mix for firsts in year 10.

Likewise there may be a few at Newington. Unaware of any from Scots Kings or Joeys who traditionally have strong depth in Opens and 16s.

Does anyone know any players who would be eligible to play U16s who are likely to be selected for 1st XV or 2nd XV school teams?

Believe there are a few at Riverview, possibly one at New? No idea on the other GPS schools.

If anyone has the starting teams for 16A games, could they please post on GnG as I am unsure how otherwise to source. Nice to know who is who on the field!

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
Knox 16As (v Joeys 16As 30.4.16)

1 Al CURREY
2 Sean KENNEDY
3 James FREAR
4 Alex TREBEC
5 Michael DAINE
6 Josh ELLIS
7 Ben ADAMS
8 Henry KINSEY
9 Nick HAWTIN-HURST
10 Josh MCINERNEY
11 Ben SHARIAT
12 Ed CURTIS
13 Tom CAMERON
14 Tom LEIGH
15 Fletcher WATSON

Anyone have the Joeys team?

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
think Waverley still without Murphy ...otherwise close to full strength with most of the leaguies out of team rehab

should be a good match up

Status
Not open for further replies.