• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS - The Next Generation - U16 Competition, and Presidents XV Rep Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Joeys 15As seem to have been very erratic in 2015 ... given they have one of the best coaches in the famous Brother A Boyd ... I would have thought they would have just kept improving

so not sure what has been the story there ... guessing maybe they rely on a few key players

certainly they have racked up a lot of losses ... unusual for Joeys

From what I have seen their breakaway was my pick ... again I have no idea of his name (Roberts?)

there is another forward ... and in his case I do know his name ... but I wont say it ... but he seems a bit of a hot head ... and not sure if his ill-discipline has cost Joeys ?

As for the Scots Baker kid ... is he any relation to the Baker boys who went to Scots back in the 80s?

AussieJuniorRugby

Bob McCowan (2)
I'd say a fair few of the boys in year 10 playing in the U15s age group this year will be pushing for opens next year. This is the case at Newington with around 4-5 of their top players in the 15s in year 10. Also at Joeys I think there might be one or two.

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
... ... ...

From what I have seen their breakaway was my pick . again I have no idea of his name (Roberts?)
Yes, would be Nelson Roberts. He's been carving it up for school and club rugby for years and iMHO would be featuring in higher level reps, but he chose to stick to the (pretty demanding) Joeys 15A and Lindfield 15A schedule. He and Dan Darwall are the stand out GPS #7s and it will be very interesting to see which one gets the bikkies in U16s Pres A.

Huly

Chris McKivat (8)
I was only able to see the SBHS vs SGS game yesterday. Usually at least a couple of grammar kids make the pres xv sides. I'd say their 10 yesterday was their best player.

The 9 from Sydney Boys was probably their best player and I think could give some of these aforementioned halfbacks a run for their money. This is if High go against recent tradition and go the GPS pathway as opposed to the CHS one.

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Anyone watching any of the U15A's competition today?
If so how did some of the previously mentioned players go?

Yep saw the Joeys V Shore game. Went as predicted final score 41 Joeys 0 Shore.

Joeys scrum was dominant. Lots of tight heads. Credit to the Shore boys they didn't go uncontested and at least gave it a go. All Joeys forwards had a good game, picks probably Roberts and Heaven but all forwards were strong and outplayed their opposite number.

Joeys backs had a mountain of possession off set piece and turnover. Penalty count against Joeys was huge. Stand out for Joeys was Xavier Ryan at inside centre and Joe Rainee? winger who has some serious pace.

Long day for the Shore boys.

Believe Newington beat Riverview, Kings beat Scots.

Well done Kings on winning the battle of the 15 A comp. 2016 is set up to be a cracker of a season in U16s.

kiwirugby

Frank Row (1)
Picking up this topic from NSW AAGPS 2016 thread,

Red/Blue's predicted 2016 President's XV U16s team.

1. Will McLennan (I)
2. Julian Heaven (J)
3. Angus Bell (N)
4. Liam Jansen (N)
5. Jordan Brown (K)
6. Ben Peper (K)
7. Nelson Roberts (J)
8. Witeriana Koopu (N)
9. Joe Dalton (J)
10. Angus Bell (I)
11. Matt Dutallis (I)
12. Cam Fish (I) A mate organised for me to watch Metro Cup and State Cup winners after he saw Fish and Easy (St Pius), play earlier in the year against Victoria in ARU Gold North Harbour team. Easy and Fish were at it again today in the U15 A Tournament in GF against Blacktown; althought injury forced Easy to 10 instead of 13 (they keep winning and keep popping up).
13. Nathanael Endemann (N)
14. Lachlan Apps (K)
15. Vincent Creagh (J)
In NZ we don't pick on last years team we pick on this years shakers and movers. Metro Cup, State Cup, Club and School Cup Runners Up - Big year. I see there are 9-10 Norths/Hunters boys in the NSW team? Hunters played off for 3v4th and Norths Beaten well by Gordon twice in 2 days? Common boys, take the emotion out of it.

Wishing all the boys a great offseason and lets hope those who put in are rewarded.

My own (changing only 12 and 15 ):

1. Will McLennan (I)
2. Julian Heaven (J)
3. Angus Bell (N)
4. Liam Jansen (N)
5. Jordan Brown (K)
6. Daniel Darwall (K)
7. Nelson Roberts (J)
8. Witeriana Koopu (N) [Liam Scolari (J)?]
9. Pat McCormack (N)
10. Angus Bell (I)
11. Matt Dutallis (I)
12. Cam Fish (I) the number 12 from Eastwood (Monogue) did appear to get plenty of game time at 12 in the zone tournamnet instead of selected position of 10 when the Augustines #10 became the obvious choice, they are all skillful players but coach Tunks from Parra putting Fish to #6 &* after such a strong State Cup showing at 12? Good for Monogue, and stcuk by 2013 from, but at the higheest level at State Cup the winning 12 from Gordon did the job with 13 Dom Easy being another standout. Alot changed this year, and no reason to push the #12 from Gordon & Iggys other than he does that role better than Dome Easy, who is miles ahead of any other 12. 13. Grabbed my attention to see Fish picked in 12 for final and push the brilliant Easy to 13. I was interested to find out aparently Fish was picked to represent Australia in an Age Soccer tournament in Europe only two years ago.
13. Nathanael Endemann (N) (probably put at 15 & coach him to be next Falou)
14. Lachlan Apps (K)
15. Vincent Creagh (J) Nathaneal Endermann (N)

Other suggestions have also been put forward and debated - see page 1 of the AAGPS 2016 thread.

Alternative suggestions?

kiwirugby

Frank Row (1)
Yep saw the Joeys V Shore game. Went as predicted final score 41 Joeys 0 Shore.

Joeys scrum was dominant. Lots of tight heads. Credit to the Shore boys they didn't go uncontested and at least gave it a go. All Joeys forwards had a good game, picks probably Roberts and Heaven but all forwards were strong and outplayed their opposite number.

Joeys backs had a mountain of possession off set piece and turnover. Penalty count against Joeys was huge. Stand out for Joeys was Xavier Ryan at inside centre and Joe Rainee? winger who has some serious pace.

Long day for the Shore boys.

Believe Newington beat Riverview, Kings beat Scots.

Well done Kings on winning the battle of the 15 A comp. 2016 is set up to be a cracker of a season in U16s.

Absoultely well done Kings, It would have been great to see Kings play Ignatius twice. Reportedly Ignatius put 30 on Joeys and Scots during the season. Futures of opens looks good for next 3 years at both schools. Work hard boys.. Fenn #8,5,6,4 from Iggnatius 1's could be playing in this age group as well - wow, what a talent!!!

kiwirugby

Frank Row (1)
Thanks Vintage Red. Bugger! He is a real talent. I hope he has the deserved opportunity in representative Rugby via his school association.

So to update my ruminations:

A Team

1. Will McLennan (I)
2. Julian Heaven (J)
3. Angus Bell (N)
4. Liam Jansen (N)
5. Jordan Brown (K)
6. Liam Scolari (J)
7. Nelson Roberts (J)
8. Witeriana Koopu (N)
9. Joe Dalton (J)
10. Angus Bell (I)
11. Matt Dutallis (I)
12. Matt Minogue (K)
13. Nathanael Endemann (N)
14. Lachlan Apps (K)
15. Vincent Creagh (J)

B Team

1. Sam Johnson (I)
2. Maclean Dombkins (J)
3. Nathan Zylstra (S) or Harry Verheul (K)
4. Sam Lock (K)
5. Tim Nicholls (J)
6. Saxon Gillies (I)
7. Luke Thackray (I)
8. ????
9. Pat McCormack or Seb Strang (S)
10. Charlie Savala (S)
11. Simi ? (N)
12. Xavier Ryan (J)
13. Cam Fish (I)
14. Josh Walker (K)
15. Tom Glascott (I) or Josh Farr-Jones (E)

Any other suggestions?

Great observations. It will be great to see in first 3 rounds next year who works over the offseason. Go Boys

Dylannaper

Frank Row (1)
Although Shore are struggling greatly in the competition, I strongly believe there are multiple players that could play in the A and B team. With a big off season some Shore players are guaranteed a spot in these teams. I don't know there names but the Shore number 2,7,8, 12 and 13 (injured halfway through the season) have a big future in the GPS representative teams. Does anyone know the names of these players so I could watch for them next season

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
A Team

1. Will McLennen (I)
2. Julian Heaven (J)
3. Angus Bell (N)
4. Liam Janson (N)
5. Jordan Brown (K)
6. Will Harris (S)
7. Nelson Roberts (J)
8. Liam Scolari (J)
9. Pat McCormack (N)
10. Charlie Savala (S)
11. Matt Dutalllis (I)
12.Matt Minogue (K)
13.Nathanael Endermann (N)
14. Lachlann Apps (K)
15. Vincent Creagh (J)

My personal changes for A Team:
Koopu (New) out for Harris (Scots): Koopu is a big body though Harris had a breakthrough season and provides a larger package I feel. He is fitter on the field and offers good ball skills. He is also a good ball runner and is very useful at line out time.

Dalton (joeys) out for McCormack (New): McCormack is a very good halfback and was selected for both Sydney and NSW sides over this season and would be a fair selection for the number 9 jersey.

Bell (Iggys) out for Savala (Scots): Both have very similar game styles. Both good with the ball in hand, though Savala attracts more defenders as he is a bigger body. Savala also offers a great kicking option in live game and for goal.

B Team

1. Harry Verhuel (K)
2. Maclean Dombkins (J)
3. Nathan Zylstra (S)
4. Sam Lock (K)
5. Witteriana Koopu (N)
6. Saxon Gilles (I)
7. Luke Thrackey (I)
8. Nathan Atkinson (S)
9. Seb Strang (S)
10. Lochie Mason (S)
11. Ben Baker (S)
12. Angus Bell (I)
13. Cam Fish (I)
14. Josh Walker (K)
15. Mackinley Croft (J)

What are everyones thoughts??

I will be looking forward to seeing the battle for #9 and #10. Still maintain Dalton outplays McCormack whenever Joeys plays New. Who took the points on the day last time between Savala (S) and Bell (I)?

I suspect that all the players pencilled in will be in the final running for squad positions.

As Kiwi Rugby stated it will be interesting to see who works hard over the offseason. Wonder if any doing JGC in 17s or Harold Matts? Suspect a few will be.

Comparing GPS and CAS, I think GPS will be dominant in forwards. Backs will be a lot closer and should be a great contest.

ISA should be very strong.

Wonder what the "form guide" for CAS ISA AICES or CCC looks like!

Good Clean Game

Bob McCowan (2)
I will be looking forward to seeing the battle for #9 and #10. Still maintain Dalton outplays McCormack whenever Joeys plays New. Who took the points on the day last time between Savala (S) and Bell (I)?

I suspect that all the players pencilled in will be in the final running for squad positions.

As Kiwi Rugby stated it will be interesting to see who works hard over the offseason. Wonder if any doing JGC in 17s or Harold Matts? Suspect a few will be.

Armchair - it would have been great to see Savala matched up as the opposite #10 this past season, but on both occasions that the teams played, Savala was played at either inside centre or outside centre so no real head to head comparison was on offer. Both of the boys would have enjoyed the opportunity to play opposite each other i'm sure!

As for the results, i believe it was 26-0 to Riverview in the first round and a much closer affair in the second round (22-19) also to Riverview.

As you say - will be very interesting to see what happens over the off-season.

Show and go

Sydney Middleton (9)

Comparing GPS and CAS, I think GPS will be dominant in forwards. Backs will be a lot closer and should be a great contest.

ISA should be very strong.

Wonder what the "form guide" for CAS ISA AICES or CCC looks like!
Bell , Savala and Endermann all team mates for matts squad along with titmuss next year , will be interesting what positions they get selected for and who makes the starting team, . Also Bell Endermann and Savala played for the CIS in the Australian schoolboys national league this year, Bell (utility) Endermann (wing top scorer),Savala (centre) . All talented boys .

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Huly, I agree that Sydney High halfback is very good ... always hard to pick a kid that isn't matching up, week in week out, against A teams

possibly not playing junior rugby

but I think the trouble is so many get hung up on reputations, already been picked in Sydney team etc

after all these are 14 and 15 year olds ... some are physically 3 years ahead, in terms of body clocks

and selectors need to look beyond the kid who has been shaving since he was 10 years old

as just sometimes you get a pip-squeak, that will catch up, in the growth stakes, and is going to be a cracker

anyway ... does anyone know the name of that High kid ... the number 9 ... believe he was the captain of the 15As ... could be a throwback to High glory days .... what was that great period when they had that Hodge bloke ... that little nugget ... he was like the flying falafel

AussieJuniorRugby

Bob McCowan (2)
Huly, I agree that Sydney High halfback is very good . always hard to pick a kid that isn't matching up, week in week out, against A teams

possibly not playing junior rugby

but I think the trouble is so many get hung up on reputations, already been picked in Sydney team etc

after all these are 14 and 15 year olds . some are physically 3 years ahead, in terms of body clocks

and selectors need to look beyond the kid who has been shaving since he was 10 years old

as just sometimes you get a pip-squeak, that will catch up, in the growth stakes, and is going to be a cracker

anyway . does anyone know the name of that High kid . the number 9 . believe he was the captain of the 15As . could be a throwback to High glory days .. what was that great period when they had that Hodge bloke . that little nugget . he was like the flying falafel

Just wondering which kids who, "are physically 3 years ahead..." and that have been shaving since they were 10, you are referring to ??

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Anyone prepared to name a NSW 16's side for next year?

I will politely decline at this point. Who knows what talent sits in AICES, CCC and CHS that hasn't been discussed in G and G forums. Not to mention kids in CAS, ISA, and GPS who grow, get fitter, get stronger and get noticed beyond our 2 cents worth.

The tourney is 8 months away so happy to ruminate around May!

Good luck to all the boys. Lets hope they have a good break, are fresh, uninjured and ready to challenge themselves.

Furthermore lets hope all selectors start with a clean sheet and give all kids the opportunity to show their talent.

Scott Haeven

Frank Row (1)
There seems to be a lot of good halfbacks within the 16's age group next year, with Dalton, Strang, McCormak and also Curll from Riverview who missed most of this season due to injury. It will be interesting to see who gets the start in Pres A's.

R

Runpasstackle

With Dom Easy moving from ISA to GPS as per post on GPS 2016. What does this do to the president xv selections?? I've seen him play club and is a very strong player. Thoughts

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Not to get too ahead of myself but I'd say he's a shoo in for the starting 12 position. He started at 12 for ISA last year, playing a year up and he held his own quite comfortably against the older lads.

Being a NSW U15 representative, he is probably the best centre in his age group, and unless someone else impresses heavily during the trials, I don't see any reason why Dom wouldn't see himself in the white jersey at Knox.

I think the real question is whether he could potentially find himself in an Opens GPS side. He has played for the Pius 1st XV as a 15 year old, and Riverview also tend to push their 16 year olds into their 1st XV. If he impresses, he could find himself in a position where he is being picked for either one of the GPS White/Blue sides.

But this is all just my opinion. I just think he's a really solid player.
I cant follow.
Is he going to be in the Knox 1s or is he at a GPS school?

Status
Not open for further replies.