• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS - The Next Generation - U16 Competition, and Presidents XV Rep Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
If so, I hope all is well on the family front as Matt is a talented player and tough competitor. His efforts with Parramatta at the SJC will at least ensure he gets to show selectors what he is capable of at Regional/ Sydney level.

Show and go

Sydney Middleton (9)
Pres A 23 - Cas 14, great days rugby watched by all.
Pres A forwards were far superior in scrums and line outs and controlled the game , with the front row outstanding and with ball in hand very damaging setting a good platform for their backs which were not nearly as sharp as previous games . The score line flattered Cas but to their credit defended extremely well with Elias (10) and Towns (12) being there best backs and looking very dangerous with ball in hand. Morretti Cas (4) was their standout forward today . As for the Pres A team Angus Bell (15) was rock solid , Dom Easy was solid but well contained but man of the match must go to Will Harris (8) scored a great try off a charge down and his line out skills were outstanding and the difference.

As for earlier games standout players were Vaivelata (isa no8) ,Manowski(ccc no 5) and Driti (chs no1).

Plenty of talent on show and played in good spirit .

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
GPS deserved the win, but in the interests of fair assessment would point out that selectors requested CAS 4, 6 and 8 all swap positions incl line out from the outset and 4 was removed from the line out altogether where he had dominated both matches yesterday. They also requested some backline movements in 2nd half which disrupted flow. This is nsw selection trials so the selectors are fully within rights to do this, but I did not see any such disruption to GPS who were gifted virtually every line out and so a huge possession advantage. Given the weight of possession I think a 9 pt margin was probably a bit unflattering to Pres A and had the same CAS set piece been allowed to present it would have been a very interesting match up indeed.

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
GPS deserved the win, but in the interests of fair assessment would point out that selectors requested CAS 4, 6 and 8 all swap positions incl line out from the outset and 4 was removed from the line out altogether where he had dominated both matches yesterday. They also requested some backline movements in 2nd half which disrupted flow. This is nsw selection trials so the selectors are fully within rights to do this, but I did not see any such disruption to GPS who were gifted virtually every line out and so a huge possession advantage. Given the weight of possession I think a 9 pt margin was probably a bit unflattering to Pres A and had the same CAS set piece been allowed to present it would have been a very interesting match up indeed.
Which selectors?

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
The ones the coaches told the boys wanted changes made. I don't purport to know them personally but have no reason to suspect the coaches of lying. Most I've come across prefer to win and are reluctant to completely dismantle a winning combination for the fun of it.

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
The ones the coaches told the boys wanted changes made. I don't purport to know them personally but have no reason to suspect the coaches of lying. Most I've come across prefer to win and are reluctant to completely dismantle a winning combination for the fun of it.
Thank you

Show and go

Sydney Middleton (9)

I was only commenting on what I watched today which was forward dominance in general play, total scrum dominance with several tight heads and line out control, im sure the selectors would of noticed this after their supposed suggested changes to the Cas team. I'm sure the selectors would also have noted how well Cas 10 & 12 played and how well the talented Dom Easy was contained.

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
3 weeks or so. The usual horse trading of dual
pathway players needs to occur (Syd gets first pick this year) and so the Syd team must be selected following Regionals before nsw schools can be announced.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
How many players are legitimately on the "dual pathway" this year, playing Junior Club Rugby and are representing their School Association U16 team?

With the demise of the National U16 Tournament, I am lead to believe that fewer players are playing the 4 club games needed to qualify for their district team at NSW JRU State Championships, compared to how many used to do such "back in the day".

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
Think there's still quite a few Hugh, with Gordon and Parra having at least half the team playing both JSC and NSW schools Trials. I know there were a smattering of others across the trials this w/e who also played JSC this year. Can't say for certain all have played the requisite 4 club matches, but I know the Gordon boys have and would be reasonably confident re Parra.

Pack It Down

Frank Row (1)
hey guys,

Was only able to make a couple of the NSW schools under 16's games and was wondering if there were any standouts from either of the GPS sides that will be pushing for selection.

ChipKick

Herbert Moran (7)
hey guys,

Was only able to make a couple of the NSW schools under 16's games and was wondering if there were any standouts from either of the GPS sides that will be pushing for selection.

I though Will Harris (S) and Keith Titmuss (N) were very dominant along with Liam Janson (N) in the backs Dom Easy (I) was very good in the first two but had a quiet one in the final, Angus Bell was safe all day and set up a lot of opportunities out wide

Good Clean Game

Bob McCowan (2)
I though Will Harris (S) and Keith Titmuss (N) were very dominant along with Liam Janson (N) in the backs Dom Easy (I) was very good in the first two but had a quiet one in the final, Angus Bell was safe all day and set up a lot of opportunities out wide

Agree with the assessment re Harris (S) - was a standout. Titmuss (N) had some storming runs when either in space or with defenders being dragged behind him. Also thought Angus Bell (N) prop had a great series of games - particularly in the final against CAS. Other forward I'd consider worthy of mention would have been Jeremy Williams (S). Felt really sorry for Matt Dutalis (I) who looked to do a knee while scoring a try in the second game on Saturday. Would have liked to have seen more of him against CAS.

Status
Not open for further replies.