• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW Barbarians tour to Argentina

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I just don't get these selections.
Horwitz has had the dream run,but looks likely to make the next step.So I don't begrudge him a trip.
But how does Dempsey leapfrog Killingworth?

On what basis can they suggest he shows more promise?
It certainly not based on form.
Hearing you!!!
But.
In the past me include I've been frustrated about quality players being lost to other provinces - could Cheika be vetting players to reduce this happening.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Good point DB and he can do that vetting earlier than other provinces do, and close his EPS books earlier.

Players will realise that and maybe have two bites of the cherry if they miss out with the Tahs.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Here's an exercise for somebody (I'm too lazy to do it.):

Who is not going to Argentina who was one of the 35 players at the start of the year, or was brought into a Tahs match day team during the season from outside the 35 (including for the Lions' game).

Do not include players who:

1. have retired or
2. have an injury or
3. are current Wallabies or
4. have been signed elsewhere or
5. have definitely been cut

and/ors apply.

Cyril Towers (30)

Who is not going to Argentina who was one of the 35 players at the start of the year, or was brought into a Tahs match day team during the season from outside the 35 (including for the Lions' game).

1. have retired or
2. have an injury or

and/ors apply.
Ollie Atkins is an interesting exclusion.
Peterson and Hodge are injured
Ulugia is off elsewhere
Dave Hickey ?injured ( not playing for uni either)

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)

1. have retired or
2. have an injury or

and/ors apply

Contracted players;

Lopeti Timani & Tom Kingston - Rebels
Grayson Hart & Ollie Atkins - Scotland
John Ulugia - France
Michael Hodge & Greg Peterson - Injury

Berrick Barnes - Japan / Touring
Drew Mitchell & Sitaleki Timani - France / Touring

Pre season invited players not touring;

Jack Littlejohn - ?
Richard Aho - France
Dane Maraki & David Hickey - Injury

Mike Alaatoa, Elijah Niko, Peter Samu, Kotoni Ale & Wayne Borzak - All named to play Club Rugby.

AJ Gilbert - He was superb against the Force but Norths currently sit in 8th position and are in danger of missing the finals. Won't be surprised if Gilbert has been left behind as Norths face a tough run home including Souths, University, Randwick, Manly and West Harbour. Otherwise I'd imagine he'd be apart of the departing squad.

NSW invited Barbarians Tour;

Will Skelton - Full Contract

Terrence Hepetema, Sam Talakai & Liam Winton - 2013 Debutants touring

Tolu Latu & David Horwitz - Pre season invited players touring

West Harbour are sitting quite nicely in 4th position and look to be rewarded for their great club form. Alofa Alofa, David Lolohea & Usaia O'Sullivan are those members picked, all new to the WTG.

Kerren Straker (Penrith), Jack Dempsey (Gordon), Auvasa Falelii (Newcastle Waratahs), Keliti Vangalo (Easts) & Alex Gibbon (Souths) are the other new comers into the NSW touring squad.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I just don't get these selections.
Horwitz has had the dream run,but looks likely to make the next step.So I don't begrudge him a trip.
But how does Dempsey leapfrog Killingworth?

On what basis can they suggest he shows more promise?
It certainly not based on form.

Has/does Killingworth play 7? He is not tall enough for a s15 #8 is he?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Has/does Killingworth play 7? He is not tall enough for a s15 #8 is he?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

He plays like a 7 even when he's wearing 8 at club level so I'd expect him to play there at S15 level.

This is a really good thing the 'Tahs are doing here, both for their brand and their playing group. It will also give us all a little window into what Argentina will be bringing to this years TRC. The squad they played against England was a B/C/D squad with 21 players rested.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
He plays like a 7 even when he's wearing 8 at club level so I'd expect him to play there at S15 level.

This is a really good thing the 'Tahs are doing here, both for their brand and their playing group. It will also give us all a little window into what Argentina will be bringing to this years TRC. The squad they played against England was a B/C/D squad with 21 players rested.

Rugger, my first reaction was it was f'en stupid but before I had finished my post I'd changed my angle - as mentioned above in the past NSW has lost a lot of players to other states, we are giving some mysteries a good shot at it.

It sucks that it is in the middle of the crunch end of the Shute - but what can we do? I hope it is only 2 games that are missed, and there are no injuries and NSW is better for it.

People are complaining about Hugh Roach (fair call) - the fact that Eastwood are sitting top of the Shute and don't have one player in the squad, I find that more interesting??????????

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

I see the Rats list him as a breakaway (note: not a flanker!).
Gordon are gone for the season whereas the Rats are a chance of making the semis - are they not?
As you can probably tell I have not seen a lot of grade lately but what I saw of these 2 in the U20s (which was limited) wold cause me to rate Dempsey ahead of Killingworth.
I agree that its a good thing for the Tahs to do - its a pity it has to be shaped around the Shute Shield.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
People are complaining about Hugh Roach (fair call) - the fact that Eastwood are sitting top of the Shute and don't have one player in the squad, I find that more interesting??????????

Maybe Eastwood weren't forthcoming in releasing players?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Contracted players;

Lopeti Timani & Tom Kingston - Rebels
Grayson Hart & Ollie Atkins - Scotland

etc etc

Excellent work Intruder. I was trying to get a handle about who Cheika was no longer interested in, after reading the tea leaves, because he hinted that he couldn't take some to Argentina he wanted to take.

The only other player you didn't mention was Adam Coleman, who got ten minutes against the Force. Hugh Roach was also training with the Tahs after TPN broke his arm, but that did not get official notice, if I remember right.

So Hart and Atkins are definitely off to Scotland? I missed that, or forgot. I'm not surprised that Hart has gone: I had the opinion, after a couple of early practice sessions, that Cheik didn't regard him highly.

Has anybody done a summary in the Tahs 2014 thread about the contract termination dates of the 2013 players - what is the post number?

I had a cursory look before I got a computer freeze last night and couldn't see anything pertinent.

I was particularly interested in Turner, Hodge and Peterson.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I believe Hodge still has one year left to run on his contract and Turner and Peterson are off contract next year.

Because of their injury profile these two could be overlooked.

I guess we should transfer any further discussion on the matter to the Tahs 2014 thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.