• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW Barbarians tour to Argentina

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
With the super rugby teams putting out second XV's next year I reckon Cheika is taking some of these young blokes to asses wether it is worth keeping them around in the seconds for a season or two for development.

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
So Hart and Atkins are definitely off to Scotland? I missed that, or forgot. I'm not surprised that Hart has gone: I had the opinion, after a couple of early practice sessions, that Cheik didn't regard him highly.

Hart confirmed he recently got a UK visa. I recall he tweeted that he is awaiting his new club to make the announcement.

latrell247

Chris McKivat (8)
Surely these guys could've been selected.
1) Sione Kolo (Eastern Suburbs)
2) Hugh Roach (Eastwood)
3) Tim Metcher (Southern Districts)
4) Richard Stanford (Eastern Suburbs)
5) Adam Coleman (Parramatta)
6) Seilala Lam (Randwick)
7) Kotoni Ale (Manly)
8) AJ Gilbert (Northern Suburbs)
9) Josh Holmes (Warringah)
10) Jimmy Hilgendorf (Eastwood)
11) Jacob Woodhouse (Manly)
12) Tom Matthews (Gordon)
13) James Dargaville (Syndey Uni)
14) Anton Lavin (Eastern Suburbs)
15) Ben Batger (Eastwood)
16) Steve Fualau (Southern Districts)
17) Tim Fairbrother (Manly)
18) Nick Lah (Northern Suburbs)
19) Ben Matwijow (Northern Suburbs)
20) Peter Samu (Randwick)
21) Luke Irwin (Eastern Suburbs)
22) Scott Daruda (Northern Suburbs)
23) Brian Sefanaia (Manly)
24) Trent Dyer (Sydney Uni)

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
I think we can expect at least a couple of changes to the announced squad before they board the plane. Highly doubt that TPN will be on the plane.

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
Usaia O'Sullivan has been named at 6 in 3rds today. Don't know how this squad was put together. No doubt he was a very talented high school rugby player before injury. Then 2 or 3 years of league. I think it's pretty disconcerting for some who have been overlooked.

mjw

Larry Dwyer (12)
I think we can expect at least a couple of changes to the announced squad before they board the plane. Highly doubt that TPN will be on the plane.
Do you have some inside info on that? I understood he has been back training.

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Do you have some inside info on that? I understood he has been back training.
Yes, he has been training but my info is that he has strained a hammy. Whether NSWRU's obligations to the Argentinian RU are great enough to risk his return to the Wallabies, I couldn't say but I would have thought that the Wallabies would place some pressure on them to stay home and rehabilitate.

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
Contracted players;

Lopeti Timani & Tom Kingston - Rebels
Grayson Hart & Ollie Atkins - Scotland
John Ulugia - France
Michael Hodge & Greg Peterson - Injury

Berrick Barnes - Japan / Touring
Drew Mitchell & Sitaleki Timani - France / Touring

Pre season invited players not touring;

Jack Littlejohn - ?
Richard Aho - France
Dane Maraki & David Hickey - Injury

Mike Alaatoa, Elijah Niko, Peter Samu, Kotoni Ale & Wayne Borzak - All named to play Club Rugby.

AJ Gilbert - He was superb against the Force but Norths currently sit in 8th position and are in danger of missing the finals. Won't be surprised if Gilbert has been left behind as Norths face a tough run home including Souths, University, Randwick, Manly and West Harbour. Otherwise I'd imagine he'd be apart of the departing squad.

NSW invited Barbarians Tour;

Will Skelton - Full Contract

Terrence Hepetema, Sam Talakai & Liam Winton - 2013 Debutants touring

Tolu Latu & David Horwitz - Pre season invited players touring

West Harbour are sitting quite nicely in 4th position and look to be rewarded for their great club form. Alofa Alofa, David Lolohea & Usaia O'Sullivan are those members picked, all new to the WTG.

Kerren Straker (Penrith), Jack Dempsey (Gordon), Auvasa Falelii (Newcastle Waratahs), Keliti Vangalo (Easts) & Alex Gibbon (Souths) are the other new comers into the NSW touring squad.
Littlejohn went back to Rugby League and is playing NSW Cup for the Bulldogs

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Cheika has decided not to take Berrick Barnes to Argentina and will take Eastwood centre, Michael MacDougall, instead.

Sitaleki Timani will not be touring either, nor TPN who "failed to sufficiently recover from his broken forearm". (No other info given.)

A decision on whether or not to replace Sita and TPN will be made after Saturday's Shute Shield.

This was also added to the Tahs media release:

The details of the two matches against the Pumas are now also confirmed. The first match will take place on August 3 at La Plata RC, La Plata City, Buenos Aires and kicks off at 3.40pm local time.
The second match on August 9 will be played at Estadio Padre Martearena in Salta (8.10pm). As broadcast details have yet to confirmed, it is not yet known whether NSW fans will be able to watch the matches on TV or via the internet.

This is all I know; so it is no use asking questions - but it does indicate that some TV will be available, doesn't it?

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
2) Hugh Roach (Eastwood)
7) Kotoni Ale (Manly)
Firstly;
Annoyed this trip is on when the Shute reaches it's peak, this is the time when NSWRU could really raise the profile of club rugby at limited expense.
But the trip is on:
Latrell - like that crop and there possibly could have been other names as well. Is Dempsey the only player from the Aus U20's?
Godwin was in the Under 20's last year, and look at his achievements this year could the Cheik have casted a larger net and taken a couple of U20's?

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
2) Hugh Roach (Eastwood)
7) Kotoni Ale (Manly)

Some players mentioned is this squad are seasoned SS players. This is a development tour and a chance for Chieka to find some new talent not individuals who have been around for years.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
Some of these guys are over 30 or near to it. A few have played Super Rugby and never quite made it. Dyer is EPS with Rebels. Matwijow was in a Force training squad this year.

masai

Frank Nicholson (4)
I was curious about the broadcasting situation for this tour, so I had a look at some Argentinian TV guides (relevant one available here if you're interested: http://www.directv.com.ar/guia/guia.aspx). The first match will, in fact, be broadcast live into Argentinian homes.

Given that there will be live images produced by Argentinian TV, it's a bit disappointing to me that Foxtel have decided against picking up the Australian rights. I confess to being unfamiliar with the niceties of television broadcasting, but surely they could have employed a skeleton studio crew for a couple of hours in Australia for English commentary and put it on the red button for NSW viewers. Would this really be unprofitable?

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
At the end of the day Foxtel aren't a charity I can't see the advertising revenue or the viewing figures to make this worthwhile for them to show. However I do think that the Waratahs should stream the match, even with the Spanish commentary (I doubt one of the interns could translate in real time), on their website. Even then I'd be surprised if the viewing figures got above the low hundreds, in situations like this you have to realise that not everyone has an almost illegal love of rugby like the fine folks here on G&GR.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Is a replay of World Championship Tiddlywinks more worthwhile?

I don't believe that it is on, Fox Sports were priced out of securing the rights to that one. What the Tahs game would be competing against is live Twenty20 cricket, live USPGA golf and replays of the previous days NRL/AFL I don't think its too surprising that these all get preference ahead of a 2nd and 3rd string Waratahs side taking on a patched up Argentinian outift.

However as I previously said as a show of good faith to the members and supporters the Waratahs should stream the game on their website for whoever is interested assuming they are able to buy the Argentine TV feed.

Status
Not open for further replies.