• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW CAS Rugby 2020

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
TDO, it's Hammer here.

These forums have turned from sharing our love of rugby, to that of slander thrown between the great colleges of CAS.

Hopefully this can turn around when more rugby starts to get played.

Hammer.

H,

Periodically we get some school boys who jump on and talk rubbish.
Typically that doesn't last long.

Hector

Frank Nicholson (4)
Looking at the Aloys' team list published tonight, more front rowers are now on the injured, so that doesn't bode well for a good stint of contested scrums against Knox on Saturday.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Looking at the Aloys' team list published tonight, more front rowers are now on the injured, so that doesn't bode well for a good stint of contested scrums against Knox on Saturday.

Very unfortunately, a lack of depth for Aloys shows up again.
Very sorry for the boys who all try so hard.

They are not playing Knox, and there was never going to be contested scrums, as there were also non contested scrums in the 1sts last week.

They are playing Trinity, best of luck.

T

The Hammer

It’s H here,

Anyone got any word on streams for the games this weekend?

Hammer.

Mr Serious

Peter Burge (5)
It’s H here,

Anyone got any word on streams for the games this weekend?

Hammer.

Morning H,

Havent heard too much over the past weeks about any games being streamed but am concerned whether or not the games will still be played due to the large amounts of rainfall predicted, does anyone know if the games can be cancelled due to large amounts of rain flooding the fields ?

Mr S :)

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Morning H,

Havent heard too much over the past weeks about any games being streamed but am concerned whether or not the games will still be played due to the large amounts of rainfall predicted, does anyone know if the games can be cancelled due to large amounts of rain flooding the fields ?

Mr S :)

When I was at school (admittedly in the Dark Ages) the absolute rule was, Rugby is always on, no matter what the weather. This rule stayed in place despite a memorable game against Newington when the field was so deeply underwater that (a) no one could see the lines and (b) there was a serious danger of a drowning in a ruck because some of the puddles were so deep.

I didn't actually experience a game being called off due to weather until I was playing in England in 1985. A harsh winter caused the grounds to freeze, with the result that what was normally soft mud hardened into jagged edges. It would have been like playing on a field of knives. Not long afterwards, the Scots installed heating underground at Murrayfield to remove this problem.

The CAS schools are a little more sensible these days - if the weather is really bad, they call off junior games and just play the higher grades (eg 1sts and 2nds) on any given field. But at this stage the forecast doesn't look that serious.

What is serious is a 1st XV starting games with uncontested scrums...

Michael_Pooper

Stan Wickham (3)
When I was at school (admittedly in the Dark Ages) the absolute rule was, Rugby is always on, no matter what the weather. This rule stayed in place despite a memorable game against Newington when the field was so deeply underwater that (a) no one could see the lines and (b) there was a serious danger of a drowning in a ruck because some of the puddles were so deep.

I didn't actually experience a game being called off due to weather until I was playing in England in 1985. A harsh winter caused the grounds to freeze, with the result that what was normally soft mud hardened into jagged edges. It would have been like playing on a field of knives. Not long afterwards, the Scots installed heating underground at Murrayfield to remove this problem.

The CAS schools are a little more sensible these days - if the weather is really bad, they call off junior games and just play the higher grades (eg 1sts and 2nds) on any given field. But at this stage the forecast doesn't look that serious.

What is serious is a 1st XV starting games with uncontested scrums.

Snort,

You played in England?? Wow you've been around the traps a fair bit. What was it like over there, quality was high I'm assuming? I'm sure there were cups of tea at half time haha.

MP (Moana Pasifika)

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Snort,

You played in England?? Wow you've been around the traps a fair bit. What was it like over there, quality was high I'm assuming? I'm sure there were cups of tea at half time haha.

MP (Moana Pasifika)

I played in what was then called the Universities Athletic Union competition - basically all the British universities except Oxford and Cambridge. The standard was - well, variable. Some days it was about Sydney second grade. But then you played Loughborough University, and half their team was in the full England squad, and that was tough. One or two of the Welsh universities were also quite tasty.

No cups of tea, but I do remember after my first game I got under the shower and 14 other players hopped into a communal bath and looked at me as though I was the weird one. You do not want to know what that bath water was like.

bring back rucking

Fred Wood (13)
Hammer, it's Business.

Why would you watch CAS livestreams when AAGPS is on at the same time.

The quality of rugby in that competition is far better.

Kind regards,

The Business.

CAS heads agreed before the start of the season that they would not stream games. Both competitions produce mostly fantastic rugby and the occasional blowout. I have nephews across both associations and to be honest some of the best games I have seen have been during the formalised 5 round inter association games over the last couple of years.

Im not sure where I sit on live streaming, some of the vitriol that goes around on social media wouldn’t be helped by this... for example if player x drops a ball or missed a crucial tackle as schoolboys are entitled to do, the potential for that to be highlighted above it’s worth would not be healthy

Onside

Frank Nicholson (4)
Hammer, it's Business.

Why would you watch CAS livestreams when AAGPS is on at the same time.

The quality of rugby in that competition is far better.

Kind regards,

The Business.

Maybe you should take your condescending self back to the currently cringeworthy group-hug GPS forum

Through the hands

Stan Wickham (3)
Huge result in the 16A’s with Knox beating Waverley 24-21. I believe that was Waverley’s first ever loss in the age group, so a massive win for Knox.