• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW CCC 2013 (U16 and Opens)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
(Blatant plagarism of opening post from 2012 from Newbie)

Given that the NSWCCC trials are scheduled for today and tomorrow (21-22 May 2013) at St Gregory’s College, Campbelltown, I thought it appropriate that it's now time for "CATHOLIC BOYS TO MAKE SOME NOISE!"

At the U/16 NSW Schools Championship last year the NSWCCC team exceeded all expectations and drew with GPS2's in the 5th/6th place playoff.

When it comes to rugby NSWCCC teams are not generally strong given that such schools maintain close links to League (in fact they regularly take out the U/18 ASSRugby Lite title ).

So if anyone has any news on who is returning, or new players to watch out for, then post it here! Why let the snobs have all the say . lmao!

Regards,
Hugh (on behalf of Newbie):)

number 6

Allen Oxlade (6)
I watched Broken Bay vs MCC in the 16s. B-Bay won the match.

Broken Bay standouts: 1. Nick White; 2. Max Stewart; 4. Oliver Robilliard; 9. Liam Baker; 10. Tom Starling; 22. Joe Williams.

MCC standouts: 6. Ryan Larossa; 13. Jake Gallagher; 14. Jed Bouris

I also caught some Open Age MCS action and witnessed a number 8 named Jack Leger (that's what the program said) who looked like a young Toutai Kefu.

It was a good day of rugby!

forwards4ever

Jimmy Flynn (14)

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
That is great news (about the degree). Hopefully that Jack intends to take up teaching as a profession. This country needs more male teachers. Good luck to him.

It just seemed to be a bit of a coincidence, and I know that there are a number of Yr 12 boys playing Colts 3 footy because there is no effective Sydney Junior competition team available for them.

whatever

Darby Loudon (17)
Surprise to see a few omissions from the U18s team lists, notably

Michael Morgan - MCC and, to a lesser extent

Scott Hogan (only 17 this year) - MCS

as both are dual code rep players.

Maybe, they have decide to concentrate on league.

footylover101

Allen Oxlade (6)
Surprise to see a few omissions from the U18s team lists, notably

Michael Morgan - MCC and, to a lesser extent

Scott Hogan (only 17 this year) - MCS

as both are dual code rep players.

Maybe, they have decide to concentrate on league.
where are the team lists?

Hugie

Ted Fahey (11)
Just got back from the CCC open trials. Here's how I saw it.

The standout teams were Broken Bay and Lismore both teams looked like full on union teams that had played together and union like God intended.

MCS had some solid lads but lacked union smarts all the way across the park. Would really like to take the No 8 aside and get him to swap to the no. 7 position, stop the stupid tricky runnning and get him to run hard and straight instead, and get him to go hard at the break down. He has the potential to be a first rate no. 7, fast with a lot of upper body strength.

Unfortunately my boys team was very disapointing SS/Woll. really struggled to get numbers, really an all U17s and U16s ring in team. They played well but were always boys vs men. Oh well there's always next year they'll all be a year older.

The MCC number 9 is a real goer. Really like his attitude and he has a really good rugby head.

Rugby Mum James Wilkinson went very well at no 2 didn't get sellected however, his speed to the breakdown and work at the breakdown didn't seem to impress the selectors as much as me.

Overall I was really pleased to see the amount of good rugby union being played vs last year when there was a lot of leag. players being taught union on the run. That seems to have disappeared.

Whilst I disagree with the selectors emaphisis on busting runs vs attacking the break down, that's a legitamate difference of opionin (lots of us can debate schoolboy rugby strategies in this forum). Last year in the U16s they made a couple of really wrong decisions, that seems to have gone also, this year they've gone for boys that can play union.

All in all a big improvement on last year, and the rain held off until after the games finished.

Rugby Mum

Watty Friend (18)

The standout teams were Broken Bay and Lismore both teams looked like full on union teams that had played together and union like God intended.

MCS had some solid lads but lacked union smarts all the way across the park. Would really like to take the No 8 aside and get him to swap to the no. 7 position, stop the stupid tricky runnning and get him to run hard and straight instead, and get him to go hard at the break down. He has the potential to be a first rate no. 7, fast with a lot of upper body strength.

Unfortunately my boys team was very disapointing SS/Woll. really struggled to get numbers, really an all U17s and U16s ring in team. They played well but were always boys vs men. Oh well there's always next year they'll all be a year older.

The MCC number 9 is a real goer. Really like his attitude and he has a really good rugby head.

Rugby Mum James Wilkinson went very well at no 2 didn't get sellected however, his speed to the breakdown and work at the breakdown didn't seem to impress the selectors as much as me.

Overall I was really pleased to see the amount of good rugby union being played vs last year when there was a lot of leag. players being taught union on the run. That seems to have disappeared.

Whilst I disagree with the selectors emaphisis on busting runs vs attacking the break down, that's a legitamate difference of opionin (lots of us can debate schoolboy rugby strategies in this forum). Last year in the U16s they made a couple of really wrong decisions, that seems to have gone also, this year they've gone for boys that can play union.

All in all a big improvement on last year, and the rain held off until after the games finished.
Your opinion seems to be shared by a few Hugie.
Dietmar Sobzcak, Tyler Keys from Lismore selected, Brentan Acreman, Francis Brown, Keanu Ashwell, Kirt Anthony from Central Coast ( Northern end of Broken Bay) and four boys from Sydney Broken Bay selected. Looking for a team list...
Interesting as some of these names also appear on the country selections. Last year the boys were told they would have to choose one pathway if selected in schools this year. Bit harsh as this age group have two pathways open to them to follow and progress in rugby.

Hugie

Ted Fahey (11)
If I were selecting I would have structured the open CCC team around the Lismore and Broken Bay teams with some additions subtractions from the other teams (including the MCS no 8 with a chat about where and how he plays).

Rugby Mum do you know if this Broken Bay team plays together as a team regularly? Seemed to have it together nicely. It would be nice if all the teams that come to these selection trials had played at least 3 game together before.

number 6

Allen Oxlade (6)
Great to see the selections reflecting the majority of opinions. I too thought James Wilkinson was unlucky, he is as tough as nails and never stopped working in the opens. He is the country hooker so hopefully isn't too dis-heartened.
Regarding the 16s, my earlier predictions of the boys from the Broken Bay side was spot-on. Broken Bay were undefeated and had 6 make selection: 1. Nick White; 2. Max Stewart; 4. Oliver Robilliard; 9. Liam Baker; 10. Tom Starling; 22. Joe Williams. 5 come from the one school: St Edward's Gosford.
It will be interesting to see how well both teams compete against the other NSW sides. They've certainly got the talent based on what was on display today. The opens look like they went for a strong and mobile pack, yet the line-out may struggle as they didn't pick the tallest blokes available in the 2nd row. However, if they can gel before the tournament then all signs point to a successful year for the Catholic boys...Good Luck!

whatever

Darby Loudon (17)

That Sir is an unnecessary dig at every player that represented the CCC U16’s last year, outside of the Illawarra boys; given you wanted all 22 to be such players.

The players proudly represented their association – achieving 1 win, 1 loss and 1 draw against the GPS II side. As HJ said as the OP, the achievement was great.

Disgraceful

Rugby Mum

Watty Friend (18)
If I were selecting I would have structured the open CCC team around the Lismore and Broken Bay teams with some additions subtractions from the other teams (including the MCS no 8 with a chat about where and how he plays).

Rugby Mum do you know if this Broken Bay team plays together as a team regularly? Seemed to have it together nicely. It would be nice if all the teams that come to these selection trials had played at least 3 game together before.

No these boys are selected at a trial, (last year one of the coast) and I believe have one session together prior to these CCC trials. The central coast boys are all familiar with each other as most selected have been in the Central Coast rep sides for years together or the Academy of sport, or Country. The other boys are from Sydney schools in Broken Bay.

Done that

Ron Walden (29)

The no.8 is a West Harbour player , & has not played in the back row previously.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Does horse trading go on between CCC, NSW Country Schools, and NSW Country Juniors over players who are playing village club footy outside Sydney Metro area, and therefore have a "double" pathway for rep honours?

Is a kid at a CCC school in the country also eligible for NSW Country Schools, similar question for a Stannies/Kinross/Chev (ISA) boy or TAS (AAGPS) boy who don't get selected for ISA or GPS teams?

It gets a little complex doesn't it.

Hugie

Ted Fahey (11)
Thanks for that Done that, explains his playing style. He is fast, powerful and has a lot of upper body strength, in my opinion ideal characteristics for a no. 7.

Status
Not open for further replies.