• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW CCC Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

number 6

Allen Oxlade (6)
Who is looking after the Rugby side of things at St Edwards?
The teachers there were all fairly league orientated with Jason Carpenter playing in sydney in his younger days. Good on them whoever it is

Teacher named Paul Sullivan, ex Country player who also played in UK. Now teaching & pushing the union there, & supposedly it's a strong program (my son is a league player who now loves union because of the opportunities there). I hope they can continue to hold onto their talent as Connor Watson, Joe Williams (Knox) & Nathan Gittoes (Joeys) all started at St Eds Gosford.

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
I think you will find over the years quite a few St Edwards boys have made their way to View or Joeys.
I know of a few that are/were more than handy players

Harv

Herbert Moran (7)
I know various attempts have been made over the decades to get a foothold in some traditional league schools and there is no easy way in but I hope, rather than just being a nursery for traditional union schools, there continues to be attempts to put some sort of competitive structure in place for schools such as St Eddies. Of course the St Greg's experience has been full of pitfalls, but it's never going to be smooth sailing. The Illawarra, like the central coast has long had a strong union club comp so it seems strange few inroads have been made into building a schoolboy base in some of the high schools down there (to my limited knowledge, that is). Same as out west, you might not be able to convert Pat's Blacktown to union, but there are other high schools in the district. Focusing a little administrative energy (in consultation with local clubs) on making one a union nursery could reap rich rewards. I'm all for a strong GPS, but the game needs other platforms. If you were able to offer some of these strong schools with thin but talented rugby stocks regular competition; a 'boutique season' of just 1st XV/2nd XV & 16s level games, who knows: St Eddies v Hills Sports, Edmund Rice Wollongong v St Dom's Penrith, St Greg's v Matraville SH... rather than a pure CCC comp the seed is planted for half a dozen CCC, other independent and CHS sides to play each other for a something other than a knockout prize (Waratah Shield). I know it would be an issue for clubs, but perhaps the Sydney juniors might consider playing an active role too. Anyhoo, just speculating -- great to see CCC, CHS and ISA in particular producing fine talent this year. And congrats to people like Paul Sullivan at St Eddies who is doing a great job and I believe has an extremely talented and insightful uncle.

Hugie

Ted Fahey (11)
Harv,

Holy Spirit in Bellambi have 2 NSW U17s front rowers 3 more CCC reps and a swag of Harold Matts (league) backs. They played zero games of rugby last year and will play zero this year.
Your proposal is not that hard is it?
It doesn't even have to be organised by CCC the local ARU development officer could organise a comp here in the Illawarra that could take on epic proportions. Holy Spirit vs Edmund Rice vs St Gregs vs The Illawarra Grammar school vs St Josephs vs Kiama High. There's nothing like Catholics going at each other on a rugby field, then through in a Protestant or two and we have a real comp on our hands.

What is it that ARU development officers do?

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
Harv,

Holy Spirit in Bellambi have 2 NSW U17s front rowers 3 more CCC reps and a swag of Harold Matts (league) backs. They played zero games of rugby last year and will play zero this year.
Your proposal is not that hard is it?
It doesn't even have to be organised by CCC the local ARU development officer could organise a comp here in the Illawarra that could take on epic proportions. Holy Spirit vs Edmund Rice vs St Gregs vs The Illawarra Grammar school vs St Josephs vs Kiama High. There's nothing like Catholics going at each other on a rugby field, then through in a Protestant or two and we have a real comp on our hands.

What is it that ARU development officers do?
The Development Officers have to do their KPA's so as their KPI's are AOK. This is all on the QT, as I am waiting for an RSVP. OK?

number 6

Allen Oxlade (6)
Sounds like some strong support for future rugby matches etc.

I do know that in week 2 of next term the 'Coast to Country Cup' starts and that pits schools of all denominations from outside of Sydney against one another (under 14s & 16s). St Edward's College and Brisbane Water Secondary College usually win the Central Coast Competition. The finals are played in Forster in mid September and the winners of this should, in my opinion, play against a champion Sydney School to be crowned state champions. The ARU boys run the whole thing and call it the students' "Path to Gold", so surely it couldn't be too hard.

When the finals are decided etc. for the Coast to Country Cup, I will update the post with the schools that qualify. It will be interesting to see how many are CCC, CHS etc. as it is a good reflection of how union is pushed as opposed to league in some schools.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The Coast to Country Cup (CCC - good play on words) sounds like a good initiative and should get more airtime.

Semi-rhetorical question. Why is the Coast to Country Cup not integrated into the Waratah Shield and Waratah Cup competition, or is it only U14 and U16?

That would seem to be a more efficient use of the scant developmental resources and time, as well as go someway towards crowning a "State Champion", even though most AAGPS and CAS schools probably wouldn't participate, as well as re-establishing some prestige and profile back into the Waratah Shield/Cup.

Cattledog

Sydney Middleton (9)
The Coast to Country Cup (CCC - good play on words) sounds like a good initiative and should get more airtime.

Semi-rhetorical question. Why is the Coast to Country Cup not integrated into the Waratah Shield and Waratah Cup competition, or is it only U14 and U16?

That would seem to be a more efficient use of the scant developmental resources and time, as well as go someway towards crowning a "State Champion", even though most AAGPS and CAS schools probably wouldn't participate, as well as re-establishing some prestige and profile back into the Waratah Shield/Cup.

These comps are all run thru the ARU Dev officers. The planning group is predominantly made up of the people who run the Waratah Cup & Shield too.

S'UP

Bill Watson (15)
Why couldn't the city version of this be the CHS district sides playing each other over a 6 week period before the CHS trials played in Newcastle this year or the 16's trials that are more like a training run.

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
Why couldn't the city version of this be the CHS district sides playing each other over a 6 week period before the CHS trials played in Newcastle this year or the 16's trials that are more like a training run.
Ideologically sound, but, getting these young men together logistically. In their final year(s) it would be a nightmare

Harv

Herbert Moran (7)
For the sake of speculation ... I'd imagine it would be possible to identify, say, four schools in each of the Sydney metro, Hunter and Illawarra regions that have a rugby pedigree or potential to participate in an organized program but currently swill around in the CCC or CHS with fewer firm competition options (other than knockouts and one-offs) than desired. Obviously the pressure of the HSC and the concept of squeezing a comp in between other obligations (league/soccer/girls) is challenging, but perhaps it's a case of build it and they will come. If it's small enough to get a foothold, then it's big enough to grow. You break those schools into conferences, play a regional mini comp then an inter conference mini comp. A key (and major challenge) would be stability -- a chance to build rugby tradition, helping in a small way to make the school a magnet of sorts. Certainly if you've got a college or high school in, say, west Sydney that commits in a small way to the rugby ethos, it could become a characteristic that might set them apart -- rather than just being another league school. The growth of women's rugby and Sevens might also factor in, especially with the continuing growth of co-ed institutions. Given the apparent struggles of junior club rugby, perhaps this niche approach could also benefit the proud clubs -- partnerships with schools potentially keeping both boats afloat.

S'UP

Bill Watson (15)
I understand about the difficulties of the HSC and i would make this point SJRU pick and 18's side who play country, no NSW side chosen WHY? The 17's have one. both age groups could be doing their HSC but the 17's are playing for 5 bonus points on their ATR if they make the 17's NSW side the boys in the 18's don't get that. If they want young men to continue in rugby give them some incentive.

number 6

Allen Oxlade (6)
Today was the Central Coast division of the Coast to Country Cup (Schoolboys under 14s & 16s tournament held for schools that reside outside the Sydney area). The day was run with teams broken up into pools, vying for the chance to progress to the State finals. The teams that will be representing the region in Forster, on the 16th September are:

Under 14s: St Edward’s College, Gosford; & Narara Valley High School (St Edward’s won the final 31-0)

Under 16s: St Edward’s College, Gosford; & Terrigal High School (St Edward’s won the final 5-0)

It was a great day of rugby and the stand out team of the day was definitely the Eddies 14s. They won every game by 30 points or more (not bad considering the games went for only 18 minutes) and had no points scored against them. They are shown below holding the winner’s Cup.

Good luck in Forster, boys.

Attachments

• Winners.JPG
    Winners.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 934

number 6

Allen Oxlade (6)
ST EDWARD’S COLLEGE, UNDER 14s: NSW COUNTRY RUGBY CHAMPIONS
St Edward’s College has a great history of success in rugby union and they now have a State Cup to add to their expanding trophy cabinet, after their Under 14 side recently won the NSW Waratahs Coast to Country Cup.
St Edward’s were the Central Coast champions after defeating Mackillop Catholic College, St Peter’s, Brisbane Water Secondary School and Narara Valley High School earlier in the year. This qualified them for the state finals which were held in Forster, on the 16th September.
The day was a success with St Edward’s finishing as undefeated champions.
·19-7 vs All Saints, Lochinvar
·7-0 vs McCarthy, Tamworth
·19-5 vs Merewether HS
·(Semi) 14-0 vs Kinross Wollaroi
·(Final) 31-0 vs Alstonville HS
“It’s great to be undefeated and take out this competition“, declared the team’s captain Jack Wilkinson-Alipate. “Thanks to everyone involved, we’re all mates and we had great fun.” Their coach, Mr Paul Sullivan, was full of praise for his side proclaiming: “They are an extremely talented bunch of young men and have represented our school with distinction. The future looks bright.”
1..jpg
2..jpg

whatever

Darby Loudon (17)
Here, I believe, is one that got away.

I came across this video on youtube today. I don't know the poster (maybe his manager).

I know the ARU were keen on this bloke as a No:9 and requested his selection in CCC U16s side in 2011 and 2012 at the age championships. But the country coach and manager of the CCC side gave him very little game time, although when he did get game time you (at least I ) could see the overall improvement in the team's performance. I remember he led the side to a 30 point lead in one game only to be pulled at half-time and the side lost the 2nd half by around 20 points.

I believe his dad posted on here a few years back and I spoke to him at the titles a few years ago and was told the young bloke was really keen on union but disappointed by his treatment and he would probably stick with league.

I recently saw him set up the winning try in the Parramatta District C grade (U19s) division 1 grand final.

What I like about this bloke is his anticipation, blinding speed and passing (setting up) ability.

Remember this video shows his play against the best of the best (both in junior reps and club level).

The rooster's 5/8 (Lachlan Mitchell??) who he tackles early in the the video and causes a knock on is very highly rated by Easts and State, National selectors.

I believe he has been picked up by a Holden (NYC) Cup side next year.

As said maybe one that got away, anyway, enjoy the video.

Status
Not open for further replies.