• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW CHS Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leicester Tiger

Herbert Moran (7)
Sydney West trials were happening today at Penrith to decide the squad to go to Coffs Harbour in May. Is there anyone running around in the public school system that we should be watching for further honours later in the year?

Leicester Tiger

Herbert Moran (7)
The Hills sports team was dominant at the trials with Nathan George 7, Lachlann Taylor 4/6 the stand out forwards, also their 8 went well. The whole forward pack laid a solid foundation for ball out to the backs who were all big and fast, except the 16 who looked like he might snap, but went really well. 9 Played well also.
The probables team, although well beaten, showed well with Jarrad Matravalla 6, Tom Hall 4 and 2 Brad Korac stand outs and one of the centres looked quite handy as well.

Bill McLean (32)
Jo
Sydney West trials were happening today at Penrith to decide the squad to go to Coffs Harbour in May. Is there anyone running around in the public school system that we should be watching for further honours later in the year?

Yes! Jordan Loto'aniu from Bass High. Absolutely tearing it up in SG Ball for Canterbury at the moment, but will probably go back to rugby (as he usually does) when his league junior rep season is over.

Was an u/16 SJRU rep at last year's nationals who really impressed me. For mine he was grossly under utilised, however I will remain silent on that issue lest I upset the Trinity Grammar brethren!

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Bit early for trials but good to see things have started.

The key thing will be to keep the boys in a rugby frame of mind. Are there ongoing training and skills sessions planned to keep them up to speed?

Are the U16's also involved in trials?

They looked very underdone as a team last year. Plenty of individual talent but did not seem to gel as a team.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
AS an old CHS boy, I was wondering if there are still any Wednesday afternoon zone competitions happening the the CHS system? I know that the local North Shore Zone Rugby competion folded some years ago and I've heard that other have either folded or amalgamated. These were once the lifeblood of CHS rugby and provided valuable competition for boys prior to CHS Champs and selection of CHS teams.

Leicester Tiger

Herbert Moran (7)
The CHS Rugby comp is somewhat of a joke. As far as I can tell the only thing they compete in is the Waratah Shield. The sports high schools were due to have a gala day tomorrow, but even that has been cancelled.

They have zone selections, NSW selections and waratah shield for those schools that can muster a team.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
The CHS Rugby comp is somewhat of a joke. As far as I can tell the only thing they compete in is the Waratah Shield. The sports high schools were due to have a gala day tomorrow, but even that has been cancelled.

They have zone selections, NSW selections and waratah shield for those schools that can muster a team.
I suspected that this was the case. This explains the drop in CHS rugby over the past few years. Those Wednesday afternoon competitions were the base of the CHS pyramid.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I suspected that this was the case. This explains the drop in CHS rugby over the past few years. Those Wednesday afternoon competitions were the base of the CHS pyramid.
Those weekday afternoon sports days were looked forwarded to, your initial post on the subject shocked me - then it was reafirmed.
So what and when is the interschool sports, a sport use to be compulsary.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Those weekday afternoon sports days were looked forwarded to, your initial post on the subject shocked me - then it was reafirmed.
So what and when is the interschool sports, a sport use to be compulsary.

My understanding is that Wednesday afternoon sport is still mandatory, but rugby no longer forms a part of it. Not enough qualified coaches and little willingness or ability to rectify that problem. In our area I believe that inter-school winter sports are soccer and touch football for boys and house sport for whoever is not in the school teams. It is a symptom of a wider problem in the state system. Most of the longstanding rugby coaches have either been promoted away from school level, promoted or transferred to a school with no rugby, retired, are nearing retirement or have just plain run out of energy. Remember that the average age of a teacher in the state system is something like 55 years. Most young teachers with a rugby background find better paid jobs, with less difficult students in the private system.

When I went to my local state school in the 70s/80s we had a 1st & 2nd XV, 13, 14, 15 As and Bs and every other school in the area had the same and there was a very strong rugby competition as a result.

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
Over the last 10 years I have bounced around several Northern Beaches and in one case a country school as a teacher. I always put my hand up to either help or to run a schools rugby program as I have my level 2 and am an ex employee of the ARU. Although I gave up a couple of lunch times a week as well as time for afternoon Peninsula Cup games my work with the boys was never appreciated by the powers that be. Rugby and team sports help players learn things such as teamwork, dealing with pressure, suffering a loss and coping with it. The benefits go on and are character building. Unfortunately for people like myself the best way to earn a full time job is to enroll in as many Gifted and Talented courses and forget about the students that aren't so academically minded. This you'll find is a significant reason why teachers are not prepared to give up so much time when it is not appreciated by a school because they are only interested in how many Band 6 results they have received in the year.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The 2013 NSWSRU Calendar & trials schedule is available for viewing in the resource library of the NSWSRU website.

http://www.nswschoolsrugby.rugbynet.com.au/verve/_resources/2013_NSWSRU_CALENDAR_as_of_9.4.13.pdf

KeyDates

22 - 24 May CHS Selection trials at Coffs Harbour

2 June U16 and U18 Trials at Foreshaw Park AICES U16 v CHS U16 A, CCC U16 v CHS U16 B, CHS II v AICES, CHS I v CCC

6 June U16 and U18 Trials at Cranbrook CAS U16 North vs South, CAS II vs CHS II, CAS I vs CHS I

16 June U18 Trials at Pittwater Park No 1 CHS II vs NSW Cnty, ISA II vs CCC, ISA I vs CHS I

16 June U16 trials at Pittwater Park No 2 AICES U16 v CCC U16, CNTY U16 v AICES U16, CCC U16 v Cnty U16, ISA U16 v CHS U16

21 June U18 Trials at Knox (Curagul) Cnty v AICES, GPS III v CCC, CAS II v ISA II, GPS II v CHS II, CAS I vs ISA I, CHS I v GPS I

22/23 June NSW SRU U16 Champs at Knox

39 Jun - 6 Jul ASRU U18 Champs at Riverview

28 August Waratah Shield finals at Foreshaw Park

TBA ARU U16 Champs at TBA

HJ Nelson

Trevor Allan (34)
Staff member
Not sure if this thread is for NSW CHS exclusively or not ?

Anyway, received this email regarding the curtain raiser to the Reds v Brumbies game at Suncorp saturday night.

This Saturday night as the curtain raiser for the top of the table Australian Conference Super Rugby game between Reds and Brumbies at Suncorp Stadium, the gold coast schools has 11 players competing.
The game is between Queensland Combined State High Schools (CHS) and Queensland Combined Catholic Colleges (CCC). This is the start of the representative program for school boy rugby.

The head coach for CHS is Director of Rugby at Pacific Pines SHS – Clint Curran.
“I am very excited that these boys have the opportunity to display their talent on the big stage at Suncorp Stadium. All have been selected in the South Coast Schools u18’s Rugby union team to compete at state champs at the end of May. This highlights the successful rugby union schools program existing on the gold coast.”

CHS
Moreahu Atutaha Pacific Pines
Richie Asiata Keebra Park SHS
Jahrome Graham Pacific Pines
Zak Anderson Pacific Pines
Rawiri Rogers-Johnson Coombabah SC
Cody Simeon Pacific Pines
Talor Walters Keebra Park SHS
Jacob Mumby Pacific Pines
Guy Hamilton Keebra Park SHS

CCC
Daniel Sierant Emmaus College
Pedro Ikitau Saint Francis College

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Apparently there is a NSW CHS development tour of New Zealand on at the moment.

This should be a good opportunity for the players.

Any idea who they are playing, when?

Match reports?

gpsoldboy

Chris McKivat (8)
NEW SOUTH WALES COMBINED HIGH SCHOOLS SPORTS ASSOCIATION

Teams for Rugby Union Tour of New Zealand Tour 2013

Harry
BROWN
ALSTONVILLE HIGH
Ben
CRERAR
BALGOWLAH BOYS
Jordan
LOTOANIU
BASS HILL
Damien
FLEMING
BWSC- Woy Woy C.
Corey
FLEMING
BWSC-WOY WOY CAMPUS
Kaszius
FILEMU
ENDEAVOUR SPORTS
Evander
FILEMU
ENDEAVOUR SPORTS
Mange
KOPA
ENDEAVOUR SPORTS
Cruze
LEACH
ENDEAVOUR SPORTS
Rahboni
WARREN-VOSAYACO
ENDEAVOUR SPORTS
Brandon
PAENGA-AMOSA
ENDEAVOUR SPORTS HIGH
Billy
WHALAN
GRAFTON HIGH
Phillip
BRADFORD
HUNTER SPORTS
Reece
HEWAT
ILLAWARRA SPORTS
Jacob
TUPUOLA
INGLEBURN HIGH
Bevan
FRENCH
INVERELL HIGH
Curtis
PATTON
KIAMA HIGH
William
FINLEY
LISAROW HIGH
Henri
GOURLAY
MANLY SELECTIVE
Andrew
VATUVEI
SARAH REDFERN HIGH
Josh
VAINIKOLO
TLSC- The Entrance C.
Raui
POARU
WESTFIELDS SPORTS
Oliver
TAKIVEIKATA
WESTFIELDS SPORTS
Josh
TUPUOLA
WESTFIELDS SPORTS
Adrian
DELORE
WHITEBRIDGE High
A fair bit of talent in this squad!! May give both GPS and CAS a real contest especially with a tour prep behind them.​

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
NEW SOUTH WALES COMBINED HIGH SCHOOLS SPORTS ASSOCIATION

Teams for Rugby Union Tour of New Zealand Tour 2013

Harry
BROWN
ALSTONVILLE HIGH
Ben
CRERAR
BALGOWLAH BOYS
Jordan
LOTOANIU
BASS HILL
Damien
FLEMING
BWSC- Woy Woy C.
Corey
FLEMING
BWSC-WOY WOY CAMPUS
Kaszius
FILEMU
ENDEAVOUR SPORTS
Evander
FILEMU
ENDEAVOUR SPORTS
Mange
KOPA
ENDEAVOUR SPORTS
Cruze
LEACH
ENDEAVOUR SPORTS
Rahboni
WARREN-VOSAYACO
ENDEAVOUR SPORTS
Brandon
PAENGA-AMOSA
ENDEAVOUR SPORTS HIGH
Billy
WHALAN
GRAFTON HIGH
Phillip
BRADFORD
HUNTER SPORTS
Reece
HEWAT
ILLAWARRA SPORTS
Jacob
TUPUOLA
INGLEBURN HIGH
Bevan
FRENCH
INVERELL HIGH
Curtis
PATTON
KIAMA HIGH
William
FINLEY
LISAROW HIGH
Henri
GOURLAY
MANLY SELECTIVE
Andrew
VATUVEI
SARAH REDFERN HIGH
Josh
VAINIKOLO
TLSC- The Entrance C.
Raui
POARU
WESTFIELDS SPORTS
Oliver
TAKIVEIKATA
WESTFIELDS SPORTS
Josh
TUPUOLA
WESTFIELDS SPORTS
Adrian
DELORE
WHITEBRIDGE High
A fair bit of talent in this squad!! May give both GPS and CAS a real contest especially with a tour prep behind them.​
Plenty of talent there I'm sure. 11 out of 25 from sports high schools and none of the other boys go to schools in the Waratah Shield, which would indicate that there is probably no rugby of note at their school. Where they will struggle against GPS & CAS is the lack of consistent high level rugby on a week to week basis. Full marks to CHS for embarking on NZ tour.

Hugie

Ted Fahey (11)
Done that,

You're right Reece is out, he was replaced by Kieran Bonin who has moved from Holy Spirit (CCC) to Smiths Hill (CHS).

I've heard 3 wins 1 loss to Otago. Boys are back.

In terms of high level rugby a lot of these boys play club and representive rugby mainly and little school rugby AND many in the JGS as well. 4 of them landed from NZ yesterday and tomorrow will head up to Moree for the U17s country championship for Illawarra U17. I'm sure many of the country boys in the CHS development squad will be off to U17 and U18 country champs over the next couple of weeks. They get a lot of hard high level rugby and rugby training.

Boys in this team in Illawarra U17 team:
Kieran Bonin
Curtis Patton
Raui Poaru
Josh Tupuola
all JGS members.

Tommy Sawden was in the team but went to West Harbour Colts.

Status
Not open for further replies.