• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW Country - - - NRC Official Team Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Train Without a Station

I don't understand how people expect this to me a competition full of guys that aren't good enough for Super Rugby? How are the best going to improve playing against lower quality opposition, and most importantly, who the fuck is going to want to watch that? Comp needs to attract viewers to make money and be sustainable. If people were interested in seeing that, Shute Shield would be getting 5,000+ to each game and making good money.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
Fair point but it seems that a number of these selections were predetermined and not really chosen on form- eg this team may as well have been picked at the beginning of the year. It may not be surprising though seeing as Easts/ Randwick didn't exactly set the world on fire this year.
Have the Western Force players picked who haven't been playing Super 15 been playing decent quality football this year?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Fair point but it seems that a number of these selections were predetermined and not really chosen on form- eg this team may as well have been picked at the beginning of the year. It may not be surprising though seeing as Easts/ Randwick didn't exactly set the world on fire this year.
Have the Western Force players picked who haven't been playing Super 15 been playing decent quality football this year?

Who exactly are you talking about?

Do you really expect Super Rugby players not to be named?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Just like schoolboy rep time. Not every player is as good as their supporters think they are.

Hans

Fred Wood (13)
On a more positive note, that is a mighty impressive looking outfit. If they can keep their players on the park, these boys should go a mighty long way into this competition.

Of all of the teams i have seen so far, this is one of the stronger ones, along with Perth. Really looking forward to this competition.

Surprised not to see Richard Stanford from Easts in there!

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
On a more positive note, that is a mighty impressive looking outfit. If they can keep their players on the park, these boys should go a mighty long way into this competition.

Of all of the teams i have seen so far, this is one of the stronger ones, along with Perth. Really looking forward to this competition.

Surprised not to see Richard Stanford from Easts in there!

I agree. It looks like a strong team.

Also surprised not to see Jonno Lance. Or is his knee crocked?

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
There are two things I don't like about the squad. The first is players (non-super rugby players) from other clubs who didn't get picked in their NRC team (eg Weekes, Miller from Norths) getting selected just because they might have come from the country. They shouldn't be picked ahead of Randwick or Easts players - what is the point of Easts or Randwick being associated with NSW Country if their SS players don't get picked? The second is why some older players are there (eg Treloar). Otherwise, looks like a decent team.

Hans

Fred Wood (13)
There are two things I don't like about the squad. The first is players (non-super rugby players) from other clubs who didn't get picked in their NRC team (eg Weekes, Miller from Norths) getting selected just because they might have come from the country. They shouldn't be picked ahead of Randwick or Easts players - what is the point of Easts or Randwick being associated with NSW Country if their SS players don't get picked? The second is why some older players are there (eg Treloar). Otherwise, looks like a decent team.

I don't have an issue with either of these things. I think it is good that the associated clubs can act as somewhat of a feeder, but the size of the country rugby market is far more important then looking after Easts or Randwick.

The aging player thing is so much an issue either, as i think you will find there is a head coach there who is going to be sacked if the team does poorly. The best way for rugby to take a hold over the eastern suburbs and country NSW is for this team to win.

As mentioned, the only player in there i am surprised not to see is Richard Stanford. Outside of that, who else would you have bought in from either Easts or Randwick? What positions are lacking depth that either of those clubs have depth in? I think they have done a pretty good job and moreover, the Sydney Stars haven't released their lineup yet.

T

Train Without a Station

They shouldn't be picked ahead of Randwick or Easts players

If they are better players than yes, they should. That is the whole point of this. Inferior Easts or Randwicks players getting picked over superior players who are not in other teams would be a bigger issue.

This political bullshit is what has hamstrung rugby for so long. Pick the best players providing there aren't any logistical or financial issues.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Especially when you consider the fact that Easts have struggled and Randwick only just made the finals and the other Sydney teams generally have more teams to draw on, it was essential that this team drew on players from outside.

It's about getting the best players from the Shute Shield involved and putting a competitive team on the park.

There are plenty of Easts and Randwick players in this side so it's not like they won't be represented.

Could put a strong team on the park such as:

1. Lahiff
2. Mann-Rea
3. Ala'alatoa
4. Chapman
5. Douglas
6. Hoiles
7. Miller
8. Gray
9. McKibbin
10. Horwitz
11. Carraro
12. Tuatara-Morrison
13. Stubbs
14. Grant
15. Kellaway

16. Metcher 17. Dalziel 18. another prop 19. Matwijow 20. Vea 21. Snowden 22. etc. 23. etc.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
If they are better players than yes, they should. That is the whole point of this. Inferior Easts or Randwicks players getting picked over superior players who are not in other teams would be a bigger issue.

This political bullshit is what has hamstrung rugby for so long. Pick the best players providing there aren't any logistical or financial issues.
I suppose I was expecting an Anton La Vin/ Damon Anderson over Malakai Watene-Zelezniak or Misieli Sinoti but again Easts form has been pretty bloody average.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Pat Dellit would be in my starting side at fullback. Kellaway on wing. Stubbs to bench.

Fair enough.

I haven't actually seen Stubbs play much and thought that Dellit hasn't been overly good for a couple of years.

As a caveat, I'm not familiar with most of the backs I left out. Not sure where they rate really. It's possible they could be ahead of Grant.

Also not familiar with a few of the forwards I didn't name.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I suppose I was expecting an Anton La Vin/ Damon Anderson over Malakai Watene-Zelezniak or Misieli Sinoti but again Easts form has been pretty bloody average.

I don't really know either of those guys who were included but I'd agree that La Vin and Anderson are a little unlucky missing out. La Vin probably moreso.

11-15 is one area where this team has plenty of depth though.

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)

I just don't buy this "inferior" Easts or Wicks argument. Last time I checked, Norths were below both Easts and Randwick on the ladder and yet there are 3 guys from Norths in the team. I repeat, there is no point in Easts and Randwick being connected if players from other teams are to be preferred because they are country origin players. Stanford, Connor/Baldwin are some who could have been selected instead of the Norths players without weakening the squad. If you want to get the city clubs to buy into the NRC then I agree the team needs to be successful but it also needs to have players from the feeder clubs.

T

Train Without a Station

The difference between two players isn't measured by the ladder position of their team in a game of 15 on 15.

Market forces, logistics and the fact that coaches will favour players they know means that players from the aligned clubs will be favoured over others. If you can't convince the coaches you are even an equal player to an outside player, you don't deserve to be picked over him.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Randwick and Easts are "associated" withe the team. They had the chance to be full "partners" and have a greater say but chose not to commit to the team. Therefore to me their players are in the same general pool asthe other clubs.

As for the Norths players look at who was selected- one has had some Super Rugby experience with the Force I think and has been a very good player over a number of seasons. He is also very much a Country boy growing up in Nelson Bay, north of Newcastle. One other is a previous OZ 7's player who comes from the Illawarra.

In my opinion both are better players than the Randwick or Easts options and are definite Country origin players

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
The difference between two players isn't measured by the ladder position of their team in a game of 15 on 15.

Market forces, logistics and the fact that coaches will favour players they know means that players from the aligned clubs will be favoured over others. If you can't convince the coaches you are even an equal player to an outside player, you don't deserve to be picked over him.

One argument raised before was that because Easts and Randwick didn't perform well this season then their players are 'inferior'. If one applied that same argument to the Norths players then they too are 'inferior'. I don't think the argument has any merit. I also don't think the 3 Norths players are better but of course that is a matter of opinion. The Gong is hardly country. If you support Easts or Randwick in SS then it is difficult to support a NRC team with SS players from another club being brought in. And I'm not talking about the super players. Not all the Eagles' supporters are from the country(because they may be from Easts or Randwick). If they want a country of origin team, then say so. But don't have a connection with two city clubs. Of course, I agree that my point would be stronger if Easts and Randwick were full partners.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
Guys, it's simple.
The coaching staff and players are all ambitious.
The best available players will be picked irrespective of where they come from originally, where they currently play, or who else is competing for a position.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
If you support Easts or Randwick in SS then it is difficult to support a NRC team with SS players from another club being brought in. And I'm not talking about the super players. Not all the Eagles' supporters are from the country(because they may be from Easts or Randwick).

I really don't get this and think it's really petty if someone decides they don't want to support this team because it has a few Norths, a Southern Districts, an Eastwood and a Brumbies player in the side.

I'm an Easts supporter and I'm happy to support this team.

If people are that stupidly tribal then how could you support any of the teams when they're mostly a combination of your club and their arch rivals?

Status
Not open for further replies.